Looking for first time Wii reaction history. Switch reception vs Wii.

arcadecup

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Anyone have a history lesson about initial reaction of Wii before it was released?

I am wondering if everyone shit on the Wii as much as I see how the switch is here.

The Wii certainly was one if not the most successful console of all time.

I know a lot of people made fun of the name (sound's like a dong lololol) and the motion controls. Honestly, I think people were right that motion controls were a gimmick but no one saw the grandma effect coming. 

Anyone have a history lesson about initial reaction of Wii before it was released?

I am wondering if everyone shit on the Wii as much as I see how the switch is here.

The Wii certainly was one if not the most successful console of all time.
The wii was the most sold least used console that ever existed. Once bowling wore off it was back on the shelf. Wii u

My day one launch unit is still unopened. This will be my first missed console launch in 30 plus years. I will wait for the special switch edition LOL

The Switch might be getting a little more shit on than it deserves. But I think people are just getting fed up. There's really two groups of people when it comes to Nintendo...those who want them to take gaming seriously and really strive to be number 1 (Think SNES era) and be a major player in the industry as opposed to some niche "we have our own audience" company, and then there are those diehards who are going to keep the company afloat because they can't control their nostalgia and have to buy everything with the name Zelda on it, whether good or bad. I have a hard time believing that these people have the capacity to look at Nintendo products with true objectivity, as they are too swept up in the "OMG New Zelda" fever that makes them think of when they were 8 years old and just can't fathom the concept that the games might just be average and not the masterpieces they see them as.

So as console generations go on, you have more and more people who are getting increasingly frustrated and hostile, as well as a stalwart population of people who are going to defend Nintendo even if Miyamoto puts out something that's admittedly average or forgettable. 

For me personally, Nintendo wore out its welcome with the Gamecube. The only reason I bought one was to play Resident Evil games, as Capcom went exclusive for the console. I was also intrigued by 3D Metroid, but disliked it after trying a demo so after RE4 I shelved it for good.

Once Wii came around, it was marketed towards casual gamers and I had zero interest in motion controls so in one swift motion they killed any desire to play it. I had also grown bored with their franchise games so with no 3rd party support, older tech, and forcing a controller nobody asked for on us, it was an easy decision.

It wasn't about the name or gimmicks: it was about arrogance. Nintendo chose an Apple approach to designing their hardware and I can't stand that shit.

Meh, Nintendo systems have always had classic games unavailable anywhere else. Mario Maker, Mario Galaxy, Zelda games, Mario Kart, etc etc ... 

bread's done
Back