Looking for games/apps suggestions for iPod Touch

Danimal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I've got an old 4Gb iPod that doesn't have enough space for my music and podcasts, so I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now. The iPod Touch seems intriguing, but I don't know if I'd be better off just getting a larger iPod. For anyone who owns a Touch, these are my main questions:

1. How is the battery life? Reviews on Best Buy's site seem mixed on this.

2. How good is it for internet? Online on my cell phone is a very limited experience; I assume you can do more with a Touch?

3. What about apps? I have no experience with the app store. I know there are millions of apps, but what stands out? How often do you find yourself using them?

I don't see myself gaming on it that much, so maybe I'd be better off just getting a larger regular iPod. Not sure. I appreciate any opinions or advice.

EDIT: Bought a 4th Gen 32 gb Touch the other day. Anyone have any suggestions on what games and apps I need to put on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I get about 4 hours of constant use before I have to charge it. That may not seem great, but there's not many times I'm actually using it constantly for that long. It usually lasts me the whole day of normal use (and I charge it over night).

2. I think it's really great for the internet. The touch screen is extremely accurate and easy to use, and I find the on screen keyboard really easy to use as well. It's great for when you want to lay in bed at night and not get up to use a computer.

3. I would say games and social networking apps stand out. There's some really fun games (I can recommend a few), and I love the twitter app.

All in all, I use my touch about 3-4 hours every day. Most of which isn't listening to music. I love it.

Also, you may want to wait a month or two if you do decide to buy one. The 4th gen should be coming out shortly.

One downside to the Touch is that it does not have a "disk mode" like other iPods. Without disk mode you can't just open the device like a USB flash drive and add/remove songs, it has to be done through Itunes. This caused me some problems when my hard drive crashed and my Itunes library was lost. I couldn't just open up the device and copy my songs on my new PC. I did end up downloading third party software which took the data from the Touch and put it on my new PC, but it took forever and was a PITA.

1. In my opinion, battery life is great. When I'm on campus and walking to class and whatnot, listening to my iPod, I only have to charge it like once every 3 days. Also, if you don't actually turn on the screen and just let it play, you can get upwards of 12 hours of playtime.

2. Internet is pretty good. Nothing compared to my Macbook, but I'd take the iPod over my Palm Centro any day.

3. I have a ton of apps, but I really only use a few of them. I'll probably delete quite a few soon. Definitely a nice feature though. The two apps I used the most are Remote, which allows me to control my iTunes player wirelessly throughout my house, and Angry Birds, which is an amazingly addicting game.

I do agree with the above posters in that you should wait until September. Then you can either get the 4th gen, or get a 3rd gen on the cheap. (Which we all love, right?)

I would HIGHLY recommend getting an iPod touch though. Best MP3 player I've ever used.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']WAIT TILL SEPTEMBER !! THERE IS ALWAYS A NEW ITOUCH AROUND SEPTEMBER !!

sorry for CAPS I just wanted to make sure you read that[/QUOTE]

Damnit I knew this was going to happen. I knew it would be some time that a new one would be anounced but thought it would be months from now or had already happend. Glad I took out that warranty on my 64 gig touch that protects it if I drop it.

I grabbed a 64GB one a few months back, and I'm figuring most things are the same bar size. Battery life for me, I was able to get around 8+ hours a day, and still have power left. No clue about internet, as I have a Droid and use that for mobile browsing, but the App store is pretty nice. Decent number of games, and a lot can be had for free. It won't replace a PSP or DS, but it's nice to supplement and I'm more likely to randomly have my iPod than another handheld.

Protip: turn off the wifi when you're not using it to save battery life.

The more you know...(star)

I bought a 3rd Gen 32 gig Touch in April. I get around 8 hours of battery life before needing to charge, although I have the screen turn off after 5 minutes without "active use" so this number may be inflated if you do not. I have slowly come around on the touch controls. I hated having to touch the screen initially, but one screen protector later, it has become second nature to me =].

However, it was a bit pricey for me as I do not take full advantage of everything the Ipod has to offer. For instance, I rarely use apps and have never watched video on mine. I mainly bought it because my old mp3 player just died suddenly (due to excessive cold weather, I think), and my friend insisted I buy an "indestructible Ipod." I was going to get the 8 gig model (or 16), but my friend insisted that the 32 gig model (and higher) had better hardware than the other models, so that is how I made my purchase decision. If you plan on using apps/video, though, completely disregard what I just said and the Touch will be worth every penny.

Edit: Internet is okay (I've only used it a couple times for the novelty) but I ABSOLUTELY HATE the virtual keyboard. I always wind up hitting one character to the left/right of the one I am intending to hit, and I have fairly small hands/fingers, so it is a major nuisance.

Thanks guys. I definitely appreciate all the info. I guess I will wait a bit to see if the 4th gen Touch comes out in another month or two. If/when I pick one up, I may be hitting a few of you up for app and game suggestions.

Before I end up forgetting though, I'll at least say grab Space Miner. It's a fun Asteroids knock-off with RPG elements that kept me thoroughly entertained for the six or so hours it took me to beat, and then some. Plus, the team that made it contains on of my college buddies, so I like to show support.

yeah, the new gen model should be out in a month or so, but definitely get one. I use my touch all the time, I even take it everywhere I go in case there is wi-fi. I can't wait to get an iPhone so I no longer have to carry around two things.

I never really understood what the big deal was for ipods/touch. There are phones that do exactly the same thing (I am referring to music playing). I got my lady a blackberry, put a 16 gig card in it and loaded that shit with all the music and tv shows/movies it can handle. It has a headphone jack, makes calls, plays video/music, internet, multitask, etc. The best part is that you can take the memory stick out and load it on the computer and do whatever you want (so easy!!!). itunes does not let you do that and if you are not careful it will erase everything on it. Happened to me once a couple years ago when I was not paying attention.

Ipods/touch to me are just a thing to get because EVERYONE has one. It is so overpriced for something that does so little. People should ask themselves "why do I want an Ipod/touch?" Most will say to listen to music and that is all. If that's the case there are cheaper AND smarter alternatives!

[quote name='mr_burnzz']I never really understood what the big deal was for ipods/touch. There are phones that do exactly the same thing (I am referring to music playing). I got my lady a blackberry, put a 16 gig card in it and loaded that shit with all the music and tv shows/movies it can handle. It has a headphone jack, makes calls, plays video/music, internet, multitask, etc. The best part is that you can take the memory stick out and load it on the computer and do whatever you want (so easy!!!). itunes does not let you do that and if you are not careful it will erase everything on it. Happened to me once a couple years ago when I was not paying attention.

Ipods/touch to me are just a thing to get because EVERYONE has one. It is so overpriced for something that does so little. People should ask themselves "why do I want an Ipod/touch?" Most will say to listen to music and that is all. If that's the case there are cheaper AND smarter alternatives![/QUOTE]

I finally caved and bought one because my Sony Walkman suddenly just froze and stopped working during the winter. It stopped working while I was outside, and I figured the cold weather probably did it. I had a warranty on the Walkman, fortunately, but my friend convinced me how unbreakable the Ipods are.

As far as a BlackBerry goes, I would love to have one but the monthly costs are pretty expensive. The Ipod may be overpriced initially, but it is much easier to deal with as a one time sunk cost, imho.

Bumping this old thread because I picked up a new 4th Gen 32 gb iPod Touch the other day, and I would love some recommendations from people who have had a Touch for a while on what are some must-get games or apps? Thanks very much for any suggestions.

My bro has one and I must say that I'm jealous, haha.

Get Icall, its a free app that allows you to make phonecalls over a wifi connection for free. Its pretty cool if your cell phone dies and you're at hotspot.There's a barcode scanner app that's pretty cool too, but I don't recall the name.

Plants vs Zombies and Peggle are good games.
Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xPUdFaraoQ
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cut-the-rope/id380293530?mt=8

Gizmodo posts an app article at the end of each week. Here's this week's page if you're interested: http://gizmodo.com/5659528

Too many to list. I'll just list some of my favorites:

Bit.Trip Beat
Plants vs. Zombies
Peggle (and Peggle Nights DLC)
R-Type
Espgaluda 2
DoDonPachi Resurrection
Sky Force Reloaded
Mirror's Edge
Knights Rush
Words With Friends
PuzzleQuest
Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor
Angry Birds
Carcassonne
Reiner Knizia's Samurai
Reiner Knizia's Medici
Monster Dash
Prince of Persia Retro
Pix'n Love Rush
Bit Pilot
Arkanoid (superb port!)
Ms. Pac-Man (use swipe controls and it's great!)
Pac-Man Championship Edition (ditto)
Bejeweled 2 + Blitz
Castle Wolfenstein 3D
Castle Wolfenstein RPG
Dungeon Solitaire (good time killer - I got it free)
Bookworm
Sword of Fargoal (great Rogue-like, though not exactly)
2XL ATV Offroad
Vector Tanks/Vector Tanks Extreme
Jelly Car
Parachute Ninja
MiniSquadron

Thanks very much guys for the suggestions, links, and that huge list. Much appreciated. I'll be checking all of them out.

bread's done
Back