Looking for good rechargeable AA batteries

Mr Durand Pierre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
I just got one of those Nyko wireless sensor bars for my Wii (my cat chewed through the Nintendo sensor bar cord one, the day Mario Galaxy came out. D'oh), but these things take up 4 AA batteries. I'd like to buy some rechargeables ASAP, so I won't have to worry about this crapping out on me midway through a game. I know very little about rechargable batteries, so does anyone have any suggestions.

I use two kinds, Maha PowerEx and Hybrios. The PowerEx batteries are great standard nickel metal hydride rechargeable batteries.

As for the Hybrios, they are a newer chemistry nickel metal hydride battery that lets the battery hold its charge for much longer than standard NiMH batteries. They tend to have a somewhat lower milliampere-hour rating than standard NiMH batteries but they are pretty close.

Also, be sure to get a quality charger. A chintzy charger will lower the life of your batteries.

Personally, I like http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

A little steep for my blood. I was hoping for something under $25, but I could go up to $30. Since my controllers already have rechargeable packs I don't use batteries for much else. I don't need anything fancy, just efficiant and reliable.

Sir Durand Pierre,

You might want to check out Eneloops at Circuit City. Like RG's Hybrios (never heard of 'em, by the way), they hold charges much longer than regular rechargeables.

Right now, you can get a set of 8 for $20, which is a savings of 8 bucks (CC periodically puts them on sale) over the regular price. You can use them with any regular charger as well, and there should also be a package that has 4 + a charger.

It's just something to think about. Good luck either way.

There's a thread in the Wii forum, I think naes started it, asking about batteries. I posted about Eneloops in there also, in case you want some more information.

[quote name='Strell']Sir Durand Pierre,

You might want to check out Eneloops at Circuit City. Like RG's Hybrios (never heard of 'em, by the way), they hold charges much longer than regular rechargeables.

Right now, you can get a set of 8 for $20, which is a savings of 8 bucks (CC periodically puts them on sale) over the regular price. You can use them with any regular charger as well, and there should also be a package that has 4 + a charger.

It's just something to think about. Good luck either way.

There's a thread in the Wii forum, I think naes started it, asking about batteries. I posted about Eneloops in there also, in case you want some more information.[/quote]

I've heard nothing but great things about this brand also. I know Costco has a decent size package deal in the mid $20 range.

Strell, I checked online and some people have done some exhaustive tests on various brands of slow-discharge NiMH batteries and the Hybrios seemed to consistently get the highest marks. Not that the Eneloops were bad. But now it seems that PowerEx has their own brand of slow-discharge batteries. I'll have to look into them.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Strell, I checked online and some people have done some exhaustive tests on various brands of slow-discharge NiMH batteries and the Hybrios seemed to consistently get the highest marks. Not that the Eneloops were bad. But now it seems that PowerEx has their own brand of slow-discharge batteries. I'll have to look into them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but do they match up with the Wii's color scheme like the Eneloops do? :)

Thanks for the heads up on 'em. I'm always on the lookout for new, better batteries, so it will be good to know there are others out there.

If you get those - I think they were called Imedions? - let me know how they work out. I'd appreciate it.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']A little steep for my blood. I was hoping for something under $25, but I could go up to $30. Since my controllers already have rechargeable packs I don't use batteries for much else. I don't need anything fancy, just efficiant and reliable.[/quote]

no no no. hit up ebay. 4-pack of Hybrio AA's for $14 shipped. if you have a decent charger, i use my Sony for my digital camera, it'll work. these batteries are the best. it's nice to have an extra pair charged up on the shelf and switch them out when my controller dies without worrying about them losing charge. they stay charged for a year! worth the dough...

[quote name='von551']no no no. hit up ebay. 4-pack of Hybrio AA's for $14 shipped. if you have a decent charger, i use my Sony for my digital camera, it'll work. these batteries are the best. it's nice to have an extra pair charged up on the shelf and switch them out when my controller dies without worrying about them losing charge. they stay charged for a year! worth the dough...[/QUOTE]

These sound nice for the batteries. But does anyone know a good deal on just a charger ala carte?

bread's done
Back