Looking for good small LCD for playing 360

mvp828

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Alright, at the end of August I am going off to college and I need a good LCD for 360 and watching tvs. I have also looked at LCD monitors seeing as then I could just buy a computer which I need to get anyways and play my 360 on it also. But, then I would still need a TV.

So I am asking if anybody could help me by suggesting what LCD to get. I just need something in the 17-24" range that has good picture quality. I did see a HD at a BB near my house. I think it was about 350-400.

Does anybody know if there would be that much of a difference between an HD or regular LCD screen that is about 20"?

[quote name='mvp828']Alright, at the end of August I am going off to college and I need a good LCD for 360 and watching tvs. I have also looked at LCD monitors seeing as then I could just buy a computer which I need to get anyways and play my 360 on it also. But, then I would still need a TV.

So I am asking if anybody could help me by suggesting what LCD to get. I just need something in the 17-24" range that has good picture quality. I did see a HD at a BB near my house. I think it was about 350-400.

Does anybody know if there would be that much of a difference between an HD or regular LCD screen that is about 20"?[/QUOTE]

If you're taking a computer and don't care much about TV I'd recommend a PC monitor from Dell. They usually have sweet deals on the widescreens and you can use a VGA cable and get high resolutions without buying a HDTV.

Get a good computer monitor with a native resolution that exceeds 1280x720. Pair it with a USB KVM (about $60 normally) to make it easy to share the monitor with your 360 along with the mouse and keyboard.

OP:

First of all, you need to tell us what your budget is!

With that said, since you're looking to get a computer and an lcd, I would highly recommend looking at Dell right now...they have a special right now where you can get a pretty good desktop with their top of the line 24" for around $1k (the 24" alone is worth $800)...check fatwallet/slickdeals for that.

I have the Dell 24" and it is AWESOME...I use it for my computer, xbox 360, and regular tv...it is hd compatible and does it all! The only thing is you'll need an external tuner for regular tv (I use a slingbox thru my pc) and some external speakers (no built in sound).

Anyways, hope this helps...good luck with your search and let us know what you get.

[quote name='toper']OP:

First of all, you need to tell us what your budget is!

With that said, since you're looking to get a computer and an lcd, I would highly recommend looking at Dell right now...they have a special right now where you can get a pretty good desktop with their top of the line 24" for around $1k (the 24" alone is worth $800)...check fatwallet/slickdeals for that.

I have the Dell 24" and it is AWESOME...I use it for my computer, xbox 360, and regular tv...it is hd compatible and does it all! The only thing is you'll need an external tuner for regular tv (I use a slingbox thru my pc) and some external speakers (no built in sound).

Anyways, hope this helps...good luck with your search and let us know what you get.[/QUOTE]

damn if the 24" is really 1k, i'd rather spend 1.5k and get the 42" 1080p lcd

[quote name='Zoglog']damn if the 24" is really 1k, i'd rather spend 1.5k and get the 42" 1080p lcd[/QUOTE]

That's $1k WITH THE DESKTOP COMPUTER (and it's not a crappy computer, either...it's an XPS Dual Core 2.8, 1GB DDR2, 250GB SATA, DVDRW...worth about $700 by itself).

Id grab a 19" LCD from newegg for under 200...it would be the perfect fit for a dorm room. You could then either get a tv tuner card for your PC or get a TV tuner box for the lcd.

I've been in the market for LCD for my 360 also, but one thing I thought you need was a surround sound system for Dell's LCD.

Can I use any crappy speakers then?

Toper has a good point, but I believe most ppl will not spend 700 on a monitor alone. I made a thread earlier this year to give away some dell coupon, at the time Dell 2405 was at it's all time low (630 shipped? for some ppl without tAX)

Anyhow, 2405 rocks. Not sure if the new 2407 is as good (heard about those lower bit panel? personally i don't care, but ppl still talk about it)

Back to the topic, i am guessing OP does have a budget, probably in the normal range of the monitor prices, say 300 top? I think viewsonic is pretty decent, they normally have good response time. The viewsonic wide screen 20 inch was as low as 230 few months ago from buy.com. pair it up with a VGA cable then you are set for 360. If you do need to watch TV.. there goes TV tuner equipment which will cost another 50-100. Lastly, maybe get some kind of switch so you don't have to connect/disconnect cables all the time.

Alright thanks to everyone who helped and if anyone else has some more suggestions I am still in the process of shopping around so feel free to keep it coming. Also is 50-100 the usual price for a tv tuner? And how about would I go using the tv tuner card? Is it installed right into the computer or is it seperate.

I bought a Samsung 940mw for about $370 a while back. I love the thing, it's a 19" widescreen, has connections of just about every kind, and runs well with my 360, built-in TV tuner, built-in speakers, etc. It's actually the display TV you'll often see with a 360 in stores. Its takes some tuning to get SD cable signals looking good, but after about 15 mins of adjusting settings I was golden. The big downside is that I actually got a decent employee accomdation on it, so it'd probably be closer to $450 if you bought it new, but ya never know.

Edit: Also if you get a tuner card for your PC, make sure to get a good one. Look for highly reviewed ones and ones with alot of positvie customer feedback. Some of them can create alot of noise and you can end up with fairly bad TV picture quality.

[quote name='toper']That's $1k WITH THE DESKTOP COMPUTER (and it's not a crappy computer, either...it's an XPS Dual Core 2.8, 1GB DDR2, 250GB SATA, DVDRW...worth about $700 by itself).[/QUOTE]

ah, whew =). My Girlfriend wants an LCD and I was about to say HELL NO!

How do TV tuner cards work exactly? I looked some up on newegg and seen some that look like a broadband router and some that looked like a videocard or modem that you install in your computer. I am just curious as to which one works better and which would be ideal for a monitor as we talked about above.
P.S. The college I am going to has standard analog cable. If that makes a difference.

It's times like this Toshiba should've thought of making SED's to cater to your crowd mvp. :whistle2:(
Those would be perfect for any gamer, tv watcher or movie fan. Damn I'm going to have to e-mail Toshiba with that idea.

bread's done
Back