Looking for opinions on MP3 players

sociopharm02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
166 (100%)
I am in the market for a MP3 player. I already have an Ipod Shuffle for working out and such. I was looking to get a larger hard drive MP3 player like the Zune or Ipod. Any advice on which one I should be looking at. I am leaning toward the Zune because of the price drop and larger screen than the Ipod video. Any input would be appreciated. I dont really want to spend more than 200-250 or so. Thanks

I've had my Creative Zen Vision M 30 gig for over a year now, nothing too fancy about it but I really like it. It can play a number of video formats, listen to radio, record sound, and not important at all but you can change your background with your own wallpaper and turn off the sscreen to save power.
Kind of big, but it still has really good battery life after a year of heavy use. I also like the fact that when it came out it had a great screen compared to the Ipod Videos, and more importantly, when plugged into a TV it would show your videos at 480 unlike the Ipod Video. I have no idea what the current abilities of the new generation Ipod Videos are though.

Newer players definitely have more frills, but for the price I got it at it was great.

[quote name='probablysober']I've had my Creative Zen Vision M 30 gig for over a year now, nothing too fancy about it but I really like it. It can play a number of video formats, listen to radio, record sound, and not important at all but you can change your background with your own wallpaper and turn off the sscreen to save power.
Kind of big, but it still has really good battery life after a year of heavy use. I also like the fact that when it came out it had a great screen compared to the Ipod Videos, and more importantly, when plugged into a TV it would show your videos at 480 unlike the Ipod Video. I have no idea what the current abilities of the new generation Ipod Videos are though.

Newer players definitely have more frills, but for the price I got it at it was great.[/quote]
I second a Creative Zen Vision M. Those are great MP3 players. The battery last long and it plays many video formats if your interested in that too. I have seen them around $200, dropping to about $150 after certain rebates, which seems to appear often.

Apple refurbs = "as new" warranty from Apple, perhaps the best bargain in MP3 players available.

If u pick up a used iPod and have battery issues, battery replacement is a cinch -- or you can pay a reputable company to do it for you. I bought a replacement battery from http://macsales.com/ two years back to put into a 1st Gen 5 GB iPod, and the battery is still going strong.

Although Ipods are nice, I like to have an fm tuner in my player. Creative Visions were the best tuner equipped players when I bought one and I still like it. Personally, if your in no rush I'd just set a price limit and a a minimum memory limit then keep a an eye out on what's on sale. That's how I got my Vision M for 129.99 a year ago. I've seen zunes go for 150 before the price drop, so you might be able to pick one of those up for less then 100 if your patient.

Since you already have an Ipod and I presume you are using Itunes, why would you switch to the sloppy Zune? Itunes is definitely not the perfect library software, but the last time I tried the Zune software it sent me running back to Apple.

I fail to see how you could go wrong with the new Ipod Classic.

[quote name='probablysober']I also like the fact that when it came out it had a great screen compared to the Ipod Videos, and more importantly, when plugged into a TV it would show your videos at 480 unlike the Ipod Video. I have no idea what the current abilities of the new generation Ipod Videos are though.[/QUOTE]

The recently updated Ipods all have 480p output (720x480) using component cables.

I don't use I-Tunes for my Shuffle so that has no bearing in my decision. Thanks for the info on the Zune software though, I have heard a few people complain about that.

I have no problem with the Zune software, what are your gripes with it, maybe I just haven't approached them yet, but so far no problems at all...
In fact you get more control than what I've seen with my friends who use iTunes...
-Goatman

I have a zune and I would recommend getting one of those new ipods. I like my zune, but evidently microsoft doesn't. They don't update its firmware or do anything to support it. Unless microsoft does something amazing to keep its customers I think I'll be switching back to apple. I hate the touch wheel on the ipod and itunes doesn't install on my computer, but I'll still buy the new ipod over the new zune.

Cowon A2 x 2. Software? MEH. Just plug it in and it pops up as a USB HD. Plays Divx/Xvid, Mpg, wmv, as well as a boatload of audio. Battery life is far better than the iPods and Zunes. ~20 hr audio/ ~10 hr video. The ONLY thing that I would knock it on, is it's size (physically and HD). 30 gigs get filled up quick when you have tons of eps + movies on it.

I too am in the market for a mp3 player, but so far only one catched my fancy.
The Ecolong. Sure it may be a gig but it runs 85 hours on one battery. What is sad is that they only sell in Japan so far... :(

Okay...I have had various Ipods for about 4 years now. After the last two have gone south after about 1 year, I decided no more ipod. I can swear that Apple has a damn control room and sends a signal to break your ipod. I had two Ipod Videos that had audio problems. Plus Apple does not fix their own product, so their product support is a joke. So I evidently made the switch to the Zune. Honestly, the Zune is everything I could have hoped for. The interface is simple and easy to use and it works great. I have had a Zune for about 2 weeks now and I have not yet missed my old Ipod. Anyways-I do like that new Ipod Touch-but it would probably mysteriously break after 1 year and I would be out $400 and laugh at Apples 10% back offer. SCREW APPLE! THEY ARE A JOKE!

[quote name='MrFriday18']Okay...I have had various Ipods for about 4 years now. After the last two have gone south after about 1 year, I decided no more ipod. I can swear that Apple has a damn control room and sends a signal to break your ipod. I had two Ipod Videos that had audio problems. Plus Apple does not fix their own product, so their product support is a joke. So I evidently made the switch to the Zune. Honestly, the Zune is everything I could have hoped for. The interface is simple and easy to use and it works great. I have had a Zune for about 2 weeks now and I have not yet missed my old Ipod. Anyways-I do like that new Ipod Touch-but it would probably mysteriously break after 1 year and I would be out $400 and laugh at Apples 10% back offer. SCREW APPLE! THEY ARE A JOKE![/QUOTE]

I also had 2 iPods that broke after about a year and a half to 2 years of use on each. My Steve-Job's-dick-sucking friend tried to convince me that was a good life for a product like that. I almost killed him where he stood.

I'm waiting on the Zune 2 and what Creative puts out. Apple has already shown their hand, and I'm between "meh" and optimistic about it. $400 for a SIXTEEN GIG touch? BLEH.

I remember when they got announced, I checked the website. It said "iPod touch only $299" and it showed the 16 GB model. I went wow, that's actually a pretty good price. Then I clicked it, and realized it said "starting from only $299." Color me completely dis-interested.

If you're leaning to a Zune, wait it off. They're gearing up to show the new versions sometime soon.

I've had an iPod mini since 05 and I've been gradually looking to a new one, so I've done the legwork.

Personally: I like the iPod Touch, but the memory (or lack thereof) is really close to a dealbreaker. I'm not really a fan of iTunes (clumsy interface), but I can deal with it.

I've had hands on with a Zune from a family member. Its interesting. I like the big screen and the FM tuner, but it just feels 'bulky' compared to some of the Apple or Creative stuff.

I think at this point, if I were going between a high capacity iPod vs. a Zune or high capacity creative, i'd probably go with the Not-Apple.

[quote name='Bretts31344'] I have seen them around $200, dropping to about $150 after certain rebates, which seems to appear often.[/quote]

I have been looking for one but the cheapest I have found is $250. where can I find them that cheap?

As far as the mp3 player I would go with not apple.

If you want something that plays video the Zune is a nice choice. Nice big screen. Mine had a problem with crashes but not too frequent. The Zune software BLOWS or at least it did 6 months ago...the last time I used it. I'd wait for a Zune 2. It's nice but definitely not worth the price right now.

For mini-sized mp3 players the ipod nano 2nd gens are great. 1st gens were garbage but 2nd gens are less-scratchable and have very good battery lives. The new nanos (w/video) really aren't worth it. The screen is so small it's not even worth having video on it. The quality is good but I don't know why you'd want a video on a 1cm screen.

I like my 60 gig iPod video. I only use iTunes to put the music on the iPod so other then that I have no use for it. Don't know much about the Zune or ones from Creative. If you go with the iPod I suggest you get an older 60 gig model if you can find one at a really low price. Or get the 80 gig or when it comes out (if it isnt already) the 160 gig.

Ive got a zune, actually this is my second zune. My first zune didnt break ( in fact it was practically industructible, got dropped off a balcony once landing on the concrete and came out with a scratch on the side and nothing else...was a pretty ugly scratch though) my first zune was stolen along with my car so meh, just bought a new one last month for $149 total (Thank good for Woot.com) though if you go to amazon right now the got the White model for $169, you can search around for some good prices an discounts. right now they only come in 30 gig models, but you can get specially made ones or hard drives for 60, 80, and 100 gig models albeit at a much heftier price.

I love the damn thing, cant go a day without it. The Zune software can be a bit glitchy, but it aint something you cant work out with patience takes a while but now it works fine. The marketplace is great whereas Itunes charges 99 Cents a song Zune marketplace charges you 47 bucks for three months...in those 3 months...ive downloaded close to 350 whole albums!!. Recently ive heard rumors that you can DRM strip those songs and keep em permanantly after the 3 months are up, but i dont know shit about it. Only problem with the zune is the Video, you can put video on it but its kind of tricky and ive never bothered with it anyway just music, the photos are nice and the and the built in FM Tuner gets very good reception (also dont use much, but hey its a nice addition) The Wi-fi function...Well ive never used it, and probably never will, but hopefully the rumor about downloading music on the fly with Wi-fi may be true, who knows someday. the battery life is average well exceptional since the damn thing doesnt have a freaking off button, just a lock switch.

Software wise, recently ive heard that some updates should be coming soon, some firmware and hopefully a marketplace update, but the last update took care of the little glitching function which makes it pause between songs and sometimes stop. A lot of people have come up with Mods and hacks and junk, and supposedly a mod to get rid of the glitches within the zune software but ive never touched em but some of them sound pretty cool. Also if you buy the starter kits you get the AV cables and junk that connect the device directly to your TV. WARNING - DO NOT BUY THE CAR RADIO ADAPTER KIT ITS $80 AND ITS A PIECE OF SHIT!

Oh yeah, and as a plus it plugs directly into your xbox 360, so you can watch your movies, listen to music, and download photos from your zune into the 360 hardrive and vice versa..

Question, can you dump music onto it or is it limited because of DRM? Also, are there only one format that can be used? (wmv)

No limits as far as i know, Ive got a shitload of songs downloaded form morpheus and limewire and they all work fine, even updated them with album artwork and everything too!, Burned CD'S and anything else work fine, no loss in audio quality. Downside, all the Syncing is done with the zune software, and as mentioned it can be a bit of a pain in the ass, But Good news there is a way to bypass all that and get the device recognized as an external Hardive...Something i also havent done, but maybe soon.

I have a 60 GB "iAudio X5" from Cowon. It is a lesser-known player, but I've been happy with it. The best thing about it is that is requires absolutely no software to transfer files. After this, I can't see myself ever getting a player that requires me to open a program and go through some sort of "syncing" process. Since there's nothing to install, I'm always using it to transfer files between my work and home computers and it works like a charm.

It also has FM radio and a built-in mic for sound recording, which is nice. There's a "USB host" port as well, but I have yet to actually use it.

Now on to the Negatives of the iAudio X5:
First of all, the original firmware is garbage. I started using RockBox instead and I never went back. The other main drawback is the P.O.S. adaptor that it uses for all the connections. This "sub-pack" contains the AC Adaptor, Line Out, and USB ports. This adaptor seems to be very cheaply manufactured, and it doesn't snap in place so it never really feels secure. I would much rather have a slightly larger player with the ports all built in, instead of using this terrible adaptor for everything. When I hook the player up to speakers at work, I just use the headphone jack, because the proper Line-Out port is in that damn Sub-pack and I hate it.

I have two mp3 players so far.

80gb iPod Video
Sandisk Sansa M260

The iPod is exactly what I expected it to be. Cost me around $250, and worth every penny.
The Sansa M260 (4gb Flash Player, 20 hours play from 1 AAA Battery) plays music, and thats about it. It has a good interface, and has an actual CUSTOM equalizer in it. UNLIKE the iPod. Sandisk makes a good player, especially if you want something durable, and just plays music. Without having to keep up with the status quo.

Oh, and one time when I was running in a rainstorm, I slipped and fell right onto the Sandisk player belted at my hip (FYI, I weigh 150lbs). Hurt like fuck, but it works just like the day I got it. Sans the deep gash in the plastic.

[quote name='joe2187']Ive got a zune, actually this is my second zune. My first zune didnt break ( in fact it was practically industructible, got dropped off a balcony once landing on the concrete and came out with a scratch on the side and nothing else...was a pretty ugly scratch though) my first zune was stolen along with my car so meh, just bought a new one last month for $149 total (Thank good for Woot.com) though if you go to amazon right now the got the White model for $169, you can search around for some good prices an discounts. right now they only come in 30 gig models, but you can get specially made ones or hard drives for 60, 80, and 100 gig models albeit at a much heftier price.

I love the damn thing, cant go a day without it. The Zune software can be a bit glitchy, but it aint something you cant work out with patience takes a while but now it works fine. The marketplace is great whereas Itunes charges 99 Cents a song Zune marketplace charges you 47 bucks for three months...in those 3 months...ive downloaded close to 350 whole albums!!. Recently ive heard rumors that you can DRM strip those songs and keep em permanantly after the 3 months are up, but i dont know shit about it. Only problem with the zune is the Video, you can put video on it but its kind of tricky and ive never bothered with it anyway just music, the photos are nice and the and the built in FM Tuner gets very good reception (also dont use much, but hey its a nice addition) The Wi-fi function...Well ive never used it, and probably never will, but hopefully the rumor about downloading music on the fly with Wi-fi may be true, who knows someday. the battery life is average well exceptional since the damn thing doesnt have a freaking off button, just a lock switch.

Software wise, recently ive heard that some updates should be coming soon, some firmware and hopefully a marketplace update, but the last update took care of the little glitching function which makes it pause between songs and sometimes stop. A lot of people have come up with Mods and hacks and junk, and supposedly a mod to get rid of the glitches within the zune software but ive never touched em but some of them sound pretty cool. Also if you buy the starter kits you get the AV cables and junk that connect the device directly to your TV. WARNING - DO NOT BUY THE CAR RADIO ADAPTER KIT ITS $80 AND ITS A PIECE OF SHIT!

Oh yeah, and as a plus it plugs directly into your xbox 360, so you can watch your movies, listen to music, and download photos from your zune into the 360 hardrive and vice versa..[/QUOTE]

IDK about Zune, but with iTunes I just make audio CDs of the albums I buy off the music store. From there, I put the audio CD back into my drive, and rip the songs into mp3s. From there, I can do as I please.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']IDK about Zune, but with iTunes I just make audio CDs of the albums I buy off the music store. From there, I put the audio CD back into my drive, and rip the songs into mp3s. From there, I can do as I please.[/quote]

I understand

Yeah i heard about that, i dont know how to do that but i want to see if it works, wouldnt that take up alot of space on the hardrive? Im kinda undecided if im going to try and DRM rip, but i dont know if its illegal enough for me to get caught and sued.

It shouldn't take that much Hard Drive space. And I doubt you will get caught since I'm sure alot of people do it

[quote name='joe2187']I understand

Yeah i heard about that, i dont know how to do that but i want to see if it works, wouldnt that take up alot of space on the hardrive? Im kinda undecided if im going to try and DRM rip, but i dont know if its illegal enough for me to get caught and sued.[/QUOTE]

Well. #1. I'm in the belief that if I own it, I should be able to do WTF I want with it, within relative means...like burning my own audio CD so I can use it in my car (which is exactly why I do it).

#2. It's easy to do. Just make a playlist with the album you bought. Burn it as an audio CD. Once the burning is done, pop it back into your computer, then tell it to rip the songs as MP3s, then voila, files you can do stuff with.

If you're worried about HD space, you can just delete the DRMed files.
Also ripping the songs back as MP3s is helpful because it's a universal format. I recently just formatted all my DRM-AAC files into mp3s so I can use those files with whatever mp3 player I choose to get later on.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Well. #1. I'm in the belief that if I own it, I should be able to do WTF I want with it, within relative means...like burning my own audio CD so I can use it in my car (which is exactly why I do it).[/QUOTE]

I also follow that line of thought but in this case I'm pretty sure he doesn't own it since he pays for a subscription to ACCESS the music and not to own the music itself since he's dled 350 albums for only $48.

[quote name='orochi']I also follow that line of thought but in this case I'm pretty sure he doesn't own it since he pays for a subscription to ACCESS the music and not to own the music itself since he's dled 350 albums for only $48.[/QUOTE]

Ah. I missed that part. My suggestions seem slightly less legal now.

160GB ipod obvious winner.

and i hate the ipod. and the itunes software is shit for REAL music fans that love whole albums and not just downloading one hit wonders.

but id slap my own mother for a portable 160GB hard drive that still plays music

but check out anything archos first. i have a "archos 420" 20GB pmp player from 2004. and i love it. survived many drops, plays widescreen video. great windows-like file system, no software needed. easy drag and drop :D

but check out anything achros first. i have a "archos 420" 20GB pmp player from 2004. and i love it. great windows-life file system, easy drag and drop :D

[quote name='Jeoff']The new nanos (w/video) really aren't worth it. The screen is so small it's not even worth having video on it. The quality is good but I don't know why you'd want a video on a 1cm screen.[/QUOTE]

Exaggerate much? The screen size is 2" on the Nano, 2.5" on the Ipod Classic.

The Zune requires you to convert all video into WMV. This isn't much different than the Ipod, which requires you to convert all video into MPEG4 or Quicktime. However, I find the Ipod easier in this regard, since there are many "Ipod" bittorrent sites and such, which have already done the conversion on the files.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Here's a link to Creative's new offering:

http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zen/

$299 for the 16 GB model sounds pretty decent. Should be out sometime this month.

Actually wait a minute. The 80 GB iPod Classic is $250...Interesting.[/quote]

i believe that the zen you are talking about is flash memory which is a whole other discussion, and well worth the 300 bucks for the 16 gigs....

no HD failures, way faster read/write speeds...... etc

[quote name='nonrandomhero']i believe that the zen you are talking about is flash memory which is a whole other discussion, and well worth the 300 bucks for the 16 gigs....

no HD failures, way faster read/write speeds...... etc[/QUOTE]

It's flash? I didn't even realize that. Awesome.

As opposed to the iPod as I generally am, that 80gb model is tempting. The ONLY thing holding me back is the need to use iTunes. The ability to transfer files without any software (i.e. the player is immediately recognized as an external drive) is pretty much my one MUST-HAVE feature for an mp3 player.

So the iPod's still out for me, unless I've been misinformed about the whole file transferring issue. What other players offer this feature? I know the iAudio players have it, and I THINK iRiver does but I'm not sure.

Last I heard, and be advised this was... 2 or so years ago when I bought my iAudio, iRiver firmware was an "either/or" proposition. Either you had access to all the features (high-quality line-in recording I seem to remember) OR you had the ability to sync w/o software -- there were two separate firmwares.

Of course, that was a long time ago, so a lot might have changed.

iRiver's players are MTP or UMS. Your choice. Some Sandisk players have UMS as well, like the Sansa C200 series. The Zen Stone is UMS also. I go with either iRiver or iAudio myself. H300, X5L and the A2. Great players.

bread's done
Back