Looking for RPG recommendations

Purple Flames

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Well a few months back I built my first gaming PC, and now I'm looking for some western RPGs to play. I'm very new to the PC gaming scene, so I'm looking looking for mostly older games, or some lesser-known gems I may not know about. Here are some games I already have. It'll help you get an idea of what I'm looking for:

- Morrowind and Oblivion
- Fallout 1 and 3
- Torchlight
- Titan Quest
- Mass Effect 1 & 2
- Dragon Age Origins
- The Witcher
- Diablo 2
- Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic

...pretty much anything along those lines. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Baldur's Gate II complete is $10 on gog. Not sure if you want to go back to old games with a new PC though =D

Dungeon Siege games were good. And have you ever thought of playing an MMO?

You'll wanna get Fallout 2 and KOTOR 2, for sure. Great sequels to great games.

Planescape: Torment is pretty much the best D&D game out there, so that should not be missed.

Fable is pretty fun. Not too deep, but fun. Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 are classics, of course. Jade Empire is another great Bioware title that many people overlook.

Yeah, that list should keep you busy for a long time.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Baldur's Gate II complete is $10 on gog. Not sure if you want to go back to old games with a new PC though =D

Dungeon Siege games were good. And have you ever thought of playing an MMO?[/QUOTE]

I've not qualms about playing the classics.

And yes I've dabbled in my fair share of MMOs, from WoW to Ragnarok and everything free-to-play Korean MMO in-between. I plan on checking out both Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic when they drop.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']You'll wanna get Fallout 2 and KOTOR 2, for sure. Great sequels to great games.

Planescape: Torment is pretty much the best D&D game out there, so that should not be missed.

Fable is pretty fun. Not too deep, but fun. Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 are classics, of course. Jade Empire is another great Bioware title that many people overlook.

Yeah, that list should keep you busy for a long time.[/QUOTE]

I've already played and beat Fable. Eh it was okay, but I expected so much more.

Fallout 2 is actually next on my to-get list, and I've heard tons of good things about Planescape, so I'll defintely be checking that out.

Keep 'em comin', folks.

Might and Magic VII - It's one of my favorite PC RPGs ever. There's so much enjoyment to be had in this game. Branching paths in the story make it worth playing through at least twice if you have the time.

Nox - An action-RPG without any grinding. It's linear but a lot of fun with three completely different characters to play through the story as.

I'm having a blast playing Fallout 3 New Vegas. I'm at level 22, doing missions for Mr House and I keep going back for more. Great fun.

You should take a look @ the RPG section of my free and legal PC games list. Get the link from my sig or check out the stickies at the top of the forum...

There are some freeware stuff like The Spirit Engine I, The Spirit Engine II and others in there along with some old school classics like The Elder Scrolls: Arena, The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. Many also take what was originally a JRPG like FFVII and continue the story with a new gameplay mechanic, try Avalanche.

You should check out Wizardry 8. It's probably going to be pretty different from what you're used to with the other games, but that's kind of why you should look into it. It's definitely an awesome game, though hard as heck at times, haha. It's kind of a turn-based first person RPG with party members, but your group is all controlled through you, I guess? It probably sounds weird from that, but it works. It's not a pretty game, but the gameplay and challenge more then make up for that. =P

*edit* Bah, I had no idea it would post the video here and not just link to it.. I linked to the search results, so just check out the top one, or whichever you prefer.

Wizardry 8 Gameplay

Neverwinter Nights just kicks all kind of ass if you're wanting to check out a Dungeon's & Dragon's style game. This is one you can play online, or even lan I think, with some of your friends. They'd need their own copies, though, since the game uses a cd-key.

Also, Sacred is pretty dang fun if you're into games like Diablo, especially if you want to play with some friends. I figured I'd mention it since the game rocks.

You also may want to try these other games:
Arx Fatalis
Divine Divinity
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic

As a final suggestion, you may want to try Daggerfall if you enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion and want to try something similar but older. The game is free now, but for some reason the download was removed off of the official site for it. They say it will be put back up soon, though, so just look for it in the next month or so to see if it's up again. You could also just check alternate download sites for the game, like FileShack.com.

*Edit*
Darn, I was beaten to it with mentioning Daggerfall. =P

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Wizardry was one of my last retail RPG games to play - It is one of the best games to play if you are into challenging RPGs.

Also, I added working alt links for Daggerfall and Arena.

^ Haha, nice. I haven't played it in a while, but I still have it installed on my PC just in case I get that urge. =P I think I ended up getting lost as to where I needed to go. I hate using guides/walkthroughs, but I may just have to do a bit of googling. =\

Maybe I'll boot it up and see if I can figure it out.

[quote name='Fragger']You should check out Wizardry 8. It's probably going to be pretty different from what you're used to with the other games, but that's kind of why you should look into it. It's definitely an awesome game, though hard as heck at times, haha. It's kind of a turn-based first person RPG with party members, but your group is all controlled through you, I guess? It probably sounds weird from that, but it works. It's not a pretty game, but the gameplay and challenge more then make up for that. =P

*edit* Bah, I had no idea it would post the video here and not just link to it.. I linked to the search results, so just check out the top one, or whichever you prefer.

Wizardry 8 Gameplay

Neverwinter Nights just kicks all kind of ass if you're wanting to check out a Dungeon's & Dragon's style game. This is one you can play online, or even lan I think, with some of your friends. They'd need their own copies, though, since the game uses a cd-key.

Also, Sacred is pretty dang fun if you're into games like Diablo, especially if you want to play with some friends. It's not a Western RPG, but I figured I'd mention it since the game rocks.

You also may want to try these other non-Western games;
Arx Fatalis
Divine Divinity
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic

As a final suggestion, you may want to try Daggerfall if you enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion and want to try something similar but older. The game is free now, but for some reason the download was removed off of the official site for it. They say it will be put back up soon, though, so just look for it in the next month or so to see if it's up again. You could also just check alternate download sites for the game, like FileShack.com.

*Edit*
Darn, I was beaten to it with mentioning Daggerfall. =P[/QUOTE]

Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic were developed in France, and follow western RPG stylings.

How are they in any way not western?

^ My mistake. It's a bit hard to think and all that stuff right now, I've been up for quite a while, haha. I may have meant to put something different there then what I did. =P So I'll edit that.

These are some good suggestions. When I get back to my compuer (currently at my parent's place for the holidays on a dial-up connection) I'll be sure to check these out.

Looking at your first post, I'd say you have a pretty good collection going. Here are a few that I played recently:

Titan Quest - not a bad 'Diablo Clone'
The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Series: - Not really a true RPG, in a sense, but has a lot of RPG elements (open world, multiple quests, even some dungeons!).
The Neverwinter Nights series - I liked the original (more towards Diablo 2), but I heard the second entry was 10x better than the first (and prettier to boot). A must if you're a big fan of Dragon Age.
The Gothic Series - Another great RPG series that's unfortunately showing it's age.

There is more on my list, but this should be up your alley.

bread's done
Back