Looking for some advice from fellow CAG gearheads on a 4.6L V8 T-Bird

HumanSnatcher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm thinking of getting a K&N cold air intake in the next couple months. I know that'll add about 15 horses. What other bolt on stuff could I add? Outside of really blowing serious cash for a supercharger or turbo (reason being is that I don't want it to be major shit that would catch the eye of my insurance). I'm thinking of maybe a performance chip as well....

I know that polished headers and a cat back doesn't had too much. I do know that it really helps breathability. But polished headers are a premium if you don't have connections (which I kinda do, just need to find a way to contact him again). I know that with the right performance chip I can tune the ECU out the ass depending on my needs. I do know that with what I have I have a great base platform to work with. I just really want to know what my options are.

The only thing I will NOT do with my car (or any that I ever get for that matter) is to do body mods. I really hate people that are "more show than no go". Only exception is a hood with vents to allow more air

Another reason why I don't want to to major engine mods right now is that I should swap in a rebuilt motor

Hmm, the only other things I can think of is the cylinder heads, I think that adds quite a bit of horsepower depending on what year your thunderbird is, I know some of the older mustangs with the old 4.6 sohc added around 30-40 hp with the new heads. I would figure it would also apply to thunderbirds, but I don't know for sure.

What are you looking to do with it? I've always been a fan of the 0-60 in Jesus Christ rather than the "I think I can outrun the cops" scenario.

Mine is a '95 Thunderbird. I know that Mustangs and T-Birds stopped with the 5.0 engine in '93. After that they switched to the 4.6L. Ironic that the 5L V8 was more fuel efficient than the 4.6L V8 lol.

As a side note, when Ford bought the engine tech used in the Taurus SHO from the Japanese, it insanely out performed the 5.0L engine, hence they downtuned it. Of course just a very simple reflashing the ECU itself reverted that, but thats a totally different beast heh

[quote name='Magehart']What are you looking to do with it? I've always been a fan of the 0-60 in Jesus Christ rather than the "I think I can outrun the cops" scenario.[/quote]

I'm not looking for "hey lets out run the coppers" type thing. My brother who I bought the car from is a deputy with the Va Beach sherrifs office, used to run mini stock and is a total gear head (well, for domestics...being from a family where our father worked at the Norfolk Ford plant). I just really want to know my options and what I can do with my car. I do know that since its not the supercharged SC (Super Coupe) varient of the T Bird, there is a lot that won't really work.

I know that mine ranks in at about 205-210hp. If I could easily add 50-70hp, I'd be as happy as a pig in shit.

I really should get a hold of an old high school chum that runs his own tuner shop.

Just wish I had bought a primed and preped 240SX 4 years ago.

bread's done
Back