Looking for some high quality ear buds

get the more expensive one... though I would never pay that much for headphones... I just go to a dollars store and buy those!

I hate earbuds. I love the big ass headphones. They go loud enough, have enough bass, and are noise reducing. I've had these for a few years. I think I got them for $30.

http://koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/02ProductDetailCall?ReadForm&Home+Stereophones^UR20

UR20_lg.jpg

ok, the 51 and 71 are the same quality. The 71 has this extension cord, the main cord is shorter though, it also comes with something else that doesn't really matter. I say go for the 51 one

I have the Sennheiser mx500's, which are surprisingly good for their price. Some of the best earbuds I've heard.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._1/102-6492503-1593724?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846

If you can get the earbuds in your ears good enough they give decent bass response, but I must have weird shaped ears or something because I always have a hard time doing this and still making them comfortable. The fontopia's mentioned at the top were on sale for just over $20 a while ago, but I can't remember where I seen this. I've also had the Koss UR-20's for a couple years now and couldn't be happier with them.

I helped order my bro a Eshure one (I think it's E-2 or something). It must be pretty good since it goes around $60-80 online.

[quote name='atreyue']have you tried these, Cheapy? They are exactly the size my wife is looking for.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have them. I also had the previous model.
They are are a really good buy for $15/$20.

I also have a pair of these, they are awesome but they are big... airport runway ear protection big.
They were $70 when I got 'em.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000065BPB

K listen to me because i just bought shure e2c`s for 80$. I would really recomend these which they do sell at newegg.com. I would get the sony ex71`s they sell at newegg. They are a little bass heavy but someone that isnt really knowing those are gonna sound great.

[quote name='twiztidgear']I have the Sennheiser mx500's, which are surprisingly good for their price. Some of the best earbuds I've heard.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._1/102-6492503-1593724?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you, Seenheiser's products overall are top notch. I own a pair of HD-250's and they are just beautiful sounding plus to be honest they are the most comfy headphones I have ever owned. But yeah, Seenheiser's stuff is worth every cent. :D

both of those are the same earbuds except the more expensive comes with a carrying case and extra silocon inserts for the earbuds in case the ones supplied didnt fit to your ear. Those are the ones I bought and I love em'

[quote name='Trakan']I hate earbuds. I love the big ass headphones. They go loud enough, have enough bass, and are noise reducing. I've had these for a few years. I think I got them for $30.

http://koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/02ProductDetailCall?ReadForm&Home+Stereophones^UR20

UR20_lg.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Big headphones are fine if you're using them with a computer or a home stereo, but there's something wrong when your headphones are bigger than the device you're using them with (Ipod, CD Player, etc.) To each their own, I guess.

I'd recommend the Shure E2c's (or E3's) or Etymotic's ER6's. If you're looking for cheaper then go for either one of those Sony sets you found. They are all ear plug style, not ear bud. The difference is that the earplugs are actually inserted into the ear canal. They seal so well that you can hear your breathing and heartbeat in your head (kinda cool). The seal also gives them much better bass.

If you decide to look at something a bit bigger then get the Grado SR60's or SR80's. Grado headphones sit on the ear, not around them which gives an ideal distance between the driver and your ear and they aren't so bulky you look like youre wearing winter earmuffs.

Check out Cnet.com's headphone reviews, they are all very informative.

Meh. Don't buy Sony brand headphones/buds/etc... in my experiance they've really gone downhill in quality over the years. Just my personal opinion though...

i have the ex51s , it took a couple of days for my ears to get used to them but I'm really starting to like them. Sometimes I just put them in my ear with no music to cut ambient noise. I've read taht people find that the cord on the ex71s is too long. These are pretty popular over at the ipodlounge.com forums, if you go there you should find some more info on them. They even have a thread for people to trade earplugs so that you can switch your large and small for extra sets of mediums.

These feel a little fragile though you can use the case that contains the spare silicone inserts as a case that only protects the buds... hard to describe here's a picture!

120_2099.jpg

[quote name='Milkyman']i have the ex51s , it took a couple of days for my ears to get used to them but I'm really starting to like them. Sometimes I just put them in my ear with no music to cut ambient noise. I've read taht people find that the cord on the ex71s is too long. These are pretty popular over at the ipodlounge.com forums, if you go there you should find some more info on them. They even have a thread for people to trade earplugs so that you can switch your large and small for extra sets of mediums.

These feel a little fragile though you can use the case that contains the spare silicone inserts as a case that only protects the buds... hard to describe here's a picture![/QUOTE]

I'll probably be buying those. I found them for $30 shipped on amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000095SB6/
That's $10 cheap than newegg!

[quote name='twiztidgear'] If you can get the earbuds in your ears good enough they give decent bass response, but I must have weird shaped ears or something because I always have a hard time doing this and still making them comfortable.[/QUOTE]

I've always had that problem, and I thought it was because I have small ears (I'm female). I found that if you twist them so that instead of the cord falling directly down (pointing towards your shoulders), so that they point more ahead of you and slightly down (sorry for the poor description, I hope you understand), then the bass is greatly improved. I was using my Aiwa earbuds though, but I would assume it's the same for any brand.

This is a little OT, but is there a place that you guys go to try out these headphones, or do you just buy them based on the reviews you see? Every BB, CompUSA, etc, store that I've gone to has only had crappy basic headphones for sale.

I've never been able to find anything like the kinds of headphones posted here, so that I can actually try out how they fit in my ear, sound quality, etc.

[quote name='Aleryn']You guys sound pretty knowledgable... I need a new set of headphones myself and I've narrowed it down to these two. Any opinions of which I oughta get? Or possibly neither? Thanks!

Sennheiser PX100
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6419574&type=product&id=1077626721367

Sennheiser PX200
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6419565&type=product&id=1077626721308[/QUOTE]

if youre thinking of spending upwards of $60 on headphones, i suggest the shure e2c. There are two highend manufacturers of in-ear headphones. Granted in ear takes some getting used to, but in noisy situations (plane, commute, subway) they make a huge difference in blocking out background noise. Anyway. Shure and Etymotic are the two makers, etymotic makes the er-4 and er-6 ($80). My preference is towards the Shure because the Eytmotic is more senstive to sounds made when walking/rubbing the cord against clothes.
The shure e2c is the entry level of their inear line, the e3c is 120, the e4c, which is being released this next week, 190 and the e5 400. Obviously you need to be seriously into sound for the higher levels, but the e2 are still a great pair of headphones and will have better sound than the two you listed.

a final point, many devices come with standard in-ear headphones which completely misrepresents the sound quality potential. It would be like judging headphones on the $5 airline ones you can buy. Higher level in-ear phones blow away even decent/middling ones like the standard ipod headphones.

bread's done
Back