Looking for suggestions on rap

AdamInPlaidum

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I'm looking for some more rap to add to my collection, something more in the vein of MF Doom or The Roots, not any sort of Nelly, 50 Cent, etc. shit. Preferrably, I'm looking for something I can find on this website:

www.allofmp3.com

I'm not made of money, after all.

Yeah I know what you mean, rap is pretty much dead now except for a select few artists that still stick to its roots. That crap you hear on the radio everyday is a joke.

Umm well anyway, here are a few that I think are pretty good:

1. "Black Star" - by Mos Def & Talib Kweli (their solo albums are pretty good too you should check them out)

2. "Champion Sound" - by Jaylib

3. "Be" - by Common

Can't think of anything else right now, but I hope this helps.

Jurassic 5 is the best 6 man hip hop group ever.
Blackalicious is good.
Jaylib
Wu tang

Immortal Tehcnique is really good, though when his rhymes are stupid, they're "I'm going to spittake on my car window" stupid.

Dead Prez is fantastic, but far more political than some may have a taste for. If you go this route, "Let's Get Free" is vastly superior to "RBG," IMO. I dunno if they have other releases, and they may well.

Lastly, Reverend Run put out an EP last fall that is eerily remniscent of classic Run DMC. It's fantastic, if far too short.

Here are some alternative hip-hop / trip-hop / misc. albums that I like, off of the top of my head:

Del Tha Funkee Homosapian - Both Sides of the Brain

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030

DJ Shadow & Dan the Automator - Bombay the Hard Way: Guns, Cars & Sitars

DJ Shadow & Dan the Automator - Bombay The Hard Way, Vol.2: Electric Vindaloo

Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst

Gorillaz - Gorillaz

Gorillaz - Demon Days

Handsome Boy Modeling School - So... How's Your Girl

Handsome Boy Modeling School - White People

Kool Keith as Black Elvis - Lost In Space

Lovage - Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By

Mindless Self Indulgence - Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy

Mindless Self Indulgence - Tight

Mindless Self Indulgence - You'll Rebel to Anything (As Long As It's Not Challenging)

Ol' Dirty Bastard - Nigga Please

Powerman 5000 - Mega!! Kung Fu Radio

Powerman 5000 - True Force

The Cardigans - Gran Turismo

Lil Wayne.

He good. Some of the stuff is "harder" but it's really got good pop elements to it and he's got the illest delivery.

From that Proof thread:

Jurassic 5, Atmosphere, Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Immortal Technique, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Eric B and Rakim, Sage Francis, Eyedea and Abilities, Brother Ali, Kanye(to an extent), Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, Nas(for the most part), MF Doom, Pharoahe Monch.

[quote name='Ma12kez']

1. "Black Star" - by Mos Def & Talib Kweli (their solo albums are pretty good too you should check them out)
[/QUOTE]

Seconded.

One's collection would not be complete without Gang Starr's "Step in the Arena". 3rd Bass is good, plus Public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet".

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum'] Preferrably, I'm looking for something I can find on this website:

www.allofmp3.com

I'm not made of money, after all.[/quote]

WTF? You can download full albums for a fraction of the price they're sold at iTunes?! That's insane!

In the vein of MF Doom and J5, eh? You're gonna feel the bay area sound.

Try Stones Throw records, Quantic records, etc. Go to TurntableLab and listen to all the samples they got up there. See what you like. Go from there.

[quote name='zewone']Good suggestion, plus you can get their album "Masters of the Universe" for free legally.

http://www.subterraneousrecords.com/motu.html[/quote]
That is insane I have the vinyl of this and now the MP3s good looking Zew.
Here is my list I will start with some and keep adding.

Murs and 9th Wonder - Murray's Revenge
(Murs comes with a great followup to 3:16 and all the beats by 9th)

Murs - 3:16

Quasimoto - The Further Adventures of Lord Quas
(Intoxicated funk music is what comes to mind)

Aceyalone - Magnificent City
(Acey at his finest and RJD2 on all the beats)

Bigg Jus - Poor People's Day
(Bigg Jus formerly of Company Flow very underrated compared to El-P but is equal if not better)

Cryptic One - The Anti-Mobius Strip Theory
(Cryptic One is from Atoms Family that include Hangar 18, Vast Aire and others)

Del The Funky Homosapien - Future Development
(An album that was supposed to be put out by a major but was dropped and put out by Del indepdently one of his best)

Dizzee Rascal - Showtime
(From London with an accent and crazy flow check out Dreams)

MED - Push Comes to Shove
(From Stones Throw and most beats from Madlib or OhNo)

MF Doom - Live From Planet X
(Great live set from Doom if you get it from eMusic.com it is one download)

MF Doom & MF Grimm - Special Herbs + Spices Volume One
(MF Grimm spitting over MF Doom's beats)

MHz - Table Scraps
(Copywrite, Jakki tha Motamouth, RJD2 and Camu Tao did not get much fame from the group but if you hear this you will regret that)

Oh No - The Disrupt
(Madlib's brother but has own style with the rhymes)

Pack FM - Featured Material Vol. 3
(Various artist mostly from QN5 and all great artists)

Soul Position - Things Go Better With RJ And AL
(Blueprint does again with rhymes and RJD2 on the beats)

Soul Position - Unlimited EP

Tame One - O.G. Bobby Johnson
(Tame One always has the best flows and beats)

The Likwit Junkies - The L.J.'s
(Defari cuts loose and Babu cuts breaks)

Murs - ....The End Of The Beginning

Outkast - Aquemini

Jean Grae - Attack Of The Attacking Things... The Dirty Mixes

RZA - Birth Of A Prince

The Perceptionists - Black Dialogue

Bigg Jus - Black Mamba Serums V2.0

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides

9th Wonder & Buckshot - Chemistry

Living Legends - Creative Differences

Only noticed one mention of Big L in the previous thread, shame shame :)

Anyway, I listen to more of the "hard" rap (with respect to the subject matter lol) as a previous poster put it, more middlestream in my opinion. My suggestions from the "new school" from what I like are:

Jae Millz (I suggest the mixtape "Nothing but the Freestyles" or "Back to the Future Vol. 1") , Papoose, Saigon, Joe Budden, Cam'ron (SDE, Confessions of Fire), Az, Stack Bundles, Dead Prez.

Some "old school" and "teachers" off the top of my head: Big L, Big Daddy Kane, EPMD, Lord Finesse, Eric B. and Rakim (Paid in Full), LL Cool J, Wu-Tang, Ice Cube, old Dre, old Snoop, NWA. And yes, even some old Master P.

Some instrumentals by Producer: Heatmakers, Alchemist, Neptunes, Just Blaze, Timbaland, Swizz Beats.

And an up n comer on my list: Rhymefest (co-wrote Jesus Walks).

[quote name='mykevermin']Immortal Tehcnique is really good, though when his rhymes are stupid, they're "I'm going to spittake on my car window" stupid.

Dead Prez is fantastic, but far more political than some may have a taste for. If you go this route, "Let's Get Free" is vastly superior to "RBG," IMO. I dunno if they have other releases, and they may well.

Lastly, Reverend Run put out an EP last fall that is eerily remniscent of classic Run DMC. It's fantastic, if far too short.[/QUOTE]

Beat me to Dead Prez. "Let's Get Free" is the best hip-hop album ever, IMO.

B00004DRZS.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

[quote name='shieryda']WTF? You can download full albums for a fraction of the price they're sold at iTunes?! That's insane![/QUOTE]

I recall reading somewhere they're located somewhere in Who Knows Where Russia so they can do this kind of thing somehow. Meh.

Redman - Doc's Da Name 2000

Wu-Tang - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Monsta Island Czars (M.I.C.) - Escape From Monsta Island!

Essential Underground Hip-Hop 2

Slum Village - Fantastic, vol. 2

Tha Alkaholiks - Firewater
(The last group album)

Defari - Focused Daily

Da Lench Mob - Guerillas In Tha Mist

Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs

Nas - It Was Written

Sean Price - Monkey Barz

Redman - Muddy Water

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx ...

S.A. Smash - Smashy Trashy

Tek & Steele - Smif 'n' Wessun: Reloaded

Roosevelt Franklin - Something's Gotta Give

Non Phixion - The Green CD

Vordul Mega - The Revolution of Yung Havoks

Vast Aire & Mighty Mi Present : The Best Damn Rap Show

The Roots - Things Fall Apart

If you want something humorous you could try MC Frontalot. Seriously, his shit cracks me up and his rhymes are quite clever. Kinda like Em but not as edgy.

[quote name='shieryda']WTF? You can download full albums for a fraction of the price they're sold at iTunes?! That's insane![/QUOTE]

Russian site. Supposed to be legit in terms of Credit Cards and stuff (but I'd be careful still, get a prepaid card or something), but yaeh they are technically legit and offer way more formats without any type of DRM to their songs.

y'all gotta get w/ my boys straight out of bucktown, representin duckdown records, Boot Camp Clik!

it be the W W B C C WORLDWIDE! Boot Camp Clik til we D O A!!

my man buckshot, da BDI thug, Black Moon DJ Evil Dee & 5ft.

Smif n Wessun AKA Tek n Steele AKA Cocoa B'z

Heltah Skeltah AKA Ruck (aka Sean Price aka Sean Peeeeeeeee) and Rock (aka da Rockness Monstah)

OGC Originoo Gunn Clappaz aka Gunn Clappaz numbah 1 2 and 3 aka Starang Wondah (William H!) Louiville Sluggah (hennyville!) and Top Dog

Boot Camp got da shit son.

Another bump for Talib Kweli and Immortal Technique. Immortal is def. one clever mother-fucker.

[quote name='2Fast']Be a Man - The Macho Man Randy Savage

I'm serious, he made a rap album.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. I used to have that on my computer.

One of the worst recordings in the history of the Earth.

Any "rapper" that uses the lyric "I'll kick you in the butt and wash your mouth out with soap" needs to pass away.

bread's done
Back