Looking for the best DVD Player for $100.00 or below?

ajh2298

CAGiversary!
Feedback
181 (100%)
Looking for something basic does not need HDMI or anything like that. Is there a model that stands out at this price point. I am terrible at picking out this kind of stuff. My TV has both a HDMI and component inputs but I am using the HDMI input for my HD DVR Box and really would like to keep it that way for now.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']No upconverting without HDMI is that ok?[/QUOTE]

If there is a one that can upscale via component cables via a "hack" I would take a look at that one, but no it is not important right now for it to have either HDMI or upconverting.

[quote name='ajh2298']If there is a one that can upscale via component cables via a "hack" I would take a look at that one, but no it is not important right now for it to have either HDMI or upconverting.[/QUOTE]

Not for less than $100.

I had great success with the Philips DVP 642...had 2 of'em in the house, actually. Plays pretty much anything you throw at it, converts PAL to NTSC, easy All-Region code, Divx/Xvid playback...and you can easily find it for $59.99, tops.

I replace the Philips in the livingroom with an upscaling Toshiba from Costco, which only ran me $89 or so...it does the same stuff listed above, but upp'd to 720p/1080i through HDMI. Even if you're not gonna use that feature at the moment, it might be nice to just pick it up and run it through Component 'till you get around to picking up a switcher.

Hope this helps.

p.s. Quality on both players seemed fine to me (the Toshi being a bit better than the Philips, of course), but I'm not the pickiest person...if you're looking for an extremely high-quality top o' the line image off of a DVD, you'll most likely have to plop down more than $100 and get a player w/ a kickass decoder.

p.p.s. I'm fairly certain the Xbox 360 upscales DVD to 480p before outputting the signal, so maybe that'll solve your issues for now.

I love my PIONEER player I have (not sure the model, but I thik the 285 is the same I have, except it doesn't have SACD)

I keep reading that upconverting are over-rated.

I have the Philips DVP 642 as well. I'm definitely impressed with it so far. Plays about any media you throw at it, and it's priced nice. Used the region code on mine as well. It takes less than a minute, and then the player is capable of playing any region dvd.

OK I think I going to go with the Philips DVP 642. I can get it new for like $58.00 shipped from Amazon, or I can get a refurbished unit for $36.00 shipped. Which way should I go new or refurbished?

I had heard that the 642 was prone to failures after the warranty period. I'm guessing no one here has experienced anything like that? I, too, was checking out the player at Costco. They've got such a solid warranty that I'd be willing to pay an extra 30 bucks to get the player there, regardless of its upconvert capabilities.

I saw a Magnavox DVD player at Wal-Mart for like $33 something. Don't know the model number or anything, but I was wondering if anyone would know how reliable/durable they are? Because I would like to get a DVD player sometime. Thanks.

most dvd players will get bad... its just that the avg person who uses the philips will use it more than others since it will play so many formats i had it for a 1 year and 1-2 good soo far..

I have the aforementioned $3X.99 Magnavox from Wal-Mart and I'm very pleased with it. It's played all brands of DVD-R discs I've tried. If you're looking for something really cheap, that SV2000 at Wal-Mart for $20.something is the same player with a white case and remote (instlead of gray) and different packaging.
Since Magnavox is Philips, this is kind of another OK on the player you've been looking at.

bread's done
Back