Looking to buy an HDTV : budget of 999..

I looked at the reviews on that and they said composite cables = major lag, I'm leaning more towards the Sharp but I heard that the colors get weird sometimes like people look orange on it.

[quote name='japaki']I looked at the reviews on that and they said composite cables = major lag, I'm leaning more towards the Sharp but I heard that the colors get weird sometimes like people look orange on it.[/QUOTE]

.........What are you playing that is going to be using Composite Cables? SNES? Genesis?

You can't go wrong with that Samsung. Samsung is the #1 ranked TV as of right now and I'm pretty sure the Dec 2008 Consumer Reports rated that 37 Sammy I linked you #1 as well as the 40" and 46" Same Model Samsung.

[quote name='japaki']and im going to be playing my xbox 360 on it with hd composite cables will it lag then[/QUOTE]

Ummm. If you are hooking it up with HD cables they are called Component Cables. Those are the Green, Blue, Red, White, Red cables. Composite are the Yellow, Red, and White.

No it shouldn't have much lag at all. I just bought the 40" model and it works perfect. SDTV looks pretty good on it since IMO Regular TV usually looks aweful on most HDTV LCD's unless you are watching the HD or Digital channel.

but the sharp has like no lag.. so that's why i was steering towards it but i heard that people look orange and the picture is weird, so thats why toshiba looked good..

[quote name='japaki']but the sharp has like no lag.. so that's why i was steering towards it but i heard that people look orange and the picture is weird, so thats why toshiba looked good..[/QUOTE]

Meh. Do what you will. Samsung is the way to go. Toshiba is a mid level TV. Sharp is decent as well but I'll keep on saying this. Nothing even comes close to a Samsung's Picture Quality.

I have a Samsung, although not that model. I love it, and I constantly use it to game with my 360. Works perfectly, no lag at all.

[quote name='japaki']will the lag in the samsung be noticeable[/QUOTE]

I have no lag in mine. Not one bit. It has a response time of 5ms and the Sharp's is 6ms. That Samsung is better in every way you look at it. Even cheaper by 100.00 +. It's pretty much a no brainer.

during action scenes will there be a little bit of adelay?
and the reason i linked u that philips is for a little bit more like 300 bucks u get 120 hz and 2 ms response time..

[quote name='japaki']during action scenes will there be a little bit of adelay?
and the reason i linked u that philips is for a little bit more like 300 bucks u get 120 hz and 2 ms response time..[/QUOTE]

None at all. Don't second guess yourself. You made a great buy. That Philips with 120Hz isn't worth it either. Enjoy it your new TV :D Also keep us updated on what you think of it. when you get it.

I've got the toshiba - and if you couple cashback.live.com with tiger direct (7% +1.99 shipping) it tends to be a deal. Just make sure they've got the size you're looking for in-stock and not on order.

[quote name='projecteightysix']I don't know if its ymmv, but Walmart has a Sony Bravia 1080p 40" tv for $899.[/QUOTE]

Thats a low end S Model Sony. Not really even worth the 899.99 IMO.

japaki, you'll be happy I'm sure. Don't torture yourself by looking at other stuff if you've already made your choice. Just remember to turn on game mode for the input you're using and you won't have any lag issues.

MjC

what i really wanna know is ultimately one ms and 120 hz that big of a difference i heard people turn 120 hz off cuz it interferes, it makes things weird some people say.
but looking at a 120 hz tv and 60 hz tv on the amazon page the clarity is very very nice. but question.. and someone said the picture on the 550 model is boring. i've got a 19 inch crt tv now so i think any step up is an upgrade a big one for me..

[quote name='japaki']Hope I made the right decision..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-40-Sa...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
for like $300 more i think that would of been substantially better, looking into 120 hz and everyones saying that its good for avid gaming[/QUOTE]

Ok so you ordered 2 TV's? Also when you said a budget of 999 I actually thought you wanted to spend under 1,000. I guess I was wrong. Either way any Samsung is a good choice.

[quote name='ajh2298']Wow why would this be so cheap it seems really decent of a TV with 3 HDMI ports and its 1080p.[/QUOTE]

Its just a decent TV. Nothing special about JVC's. IMO they are the lower end of LCD TV's. Usually bottom of the pack when rated by Consumer Reports as well.

[quote name='japaki']God damnit, it went down in price again, the 40 inch toc ..[/QUOTE]

Ok i'm unsure of whats wrong with you. You said you have a budget of 999.99 and you keep looking at that TV 400.00 more then what you said was your Budget and 500.00 + More then the TV you already purchased.

IMO you would just be throwing money away by buying a 120Hz TV. Sony just released their 240Hz LCD. It's going to keep snowballing until they get to where Plasma operates ( 1000 Hz )

Trust me when I keep saying that you made a good buy on that 37". If you feel like I'm lying to you cancel your order, buy the more expensive TV and enjoy that as well. It's going to be pretty much the same.

Well, I failed to mention I could possibly spend more if the deal was good... But anyway, I think I made a good buy too, but I'm just worried because the 37'' I bought doesn't have as good of reviews as the ToC..

[quote name='japaki']Well, I failed to mention I could possibly spend more if the deal was good... But anyway, I think I made a good buy too, but I'm just worried because the 37'' I bought doesn't have as good of reviews as the ToC..[/QUOTE]

Sure, usually a TV that 500-600 more gets reviewed better.

bread's done
Back