Looking to finally dive into a gaming laptop..

revenge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey everyone, I am new to the forums, and finally figured to post in here. I am looking to switch over to an AMD-powered gaming laptop. My macbook really isn't keeping up with Steam, and there isn't a lot that I can tweak/bug to make the machine run any faster. Does anyone have any recommendations? I can do some overclocking and will most likely wipe the machine and load Linux, budgeting at $600. Shoot the ad's my way if you see anything.

Btw, this community is awesome. I have never seen something where people are so generous and willing to give to complete strangers. :)

Is there any reason you need it to be a laptop? You'll get MUCH more computer for MUCH less money if you make it a desktop, and you can keep your Macbook for times when you need to be portable. My cousin spent $3000 on an Alienware, and I spent $700 on a desktop. Mine's better.

If you DO need it to be a gaming laptop, I'm sure someone can help, but don't expect to be future proofed too far for $600.

I absolutely second Lenovo.

When I first started looking into getting a gaming laptop, I did a lot of research in an effort to balance cost and power. After all, getting the most "bang for your buck" is what it's all about. I had three prerequisites that I really wouldn't budge on: it had to come with 1) a backlit keyboard, 2) a dedicated GPU, and 3) a 15.4" display (as opposed to 17", which I just feel is too big to hold comfortably). I knew it would be at least an i5, and I was hoping to find something with 8GB of RAM already installed and (preferably, a blu-ray player).

Then I stumbled across the Y580 (209942U) and fell in love. I'll let the specs speak for themselves (check the spoiler below).

(NOTE: I believe the RAM is actually upgradeable to 16GB, contrary to the spec sheet.)
gtx660m153032.jpg

Granted, I paid almost $1100 for it, but it's the best $1100 I ever spent. It had everything I wanted and some things I didn't even dream of getting (1920 x 1080, a blu-ray writer, etc.) The only thing glaringly absent is an included SSD (which I fortunately had already to pop into it) but those aren't nearly as expensive as they once were anyway.

For my money, Lenovo packs the most punch into its notebooks for the cost. They get my recommendation 110%. While the Y580 may be a bit out of your budget, I'm sure you'll find something of theirs that will work for you.

Thanks for the input guys. I saw a couple Lenevo tablets that I really liked, I will be testing one out hopefully this week.

Buddy of mine recently got a Lenovo Ideapad Z585 and he loves it. He had an Asus G51VX from before and that served him well until the video card would crap out from time to time.

The Z585 retails at like $900ish, but he was able to get it for around $630 at out local Frys.

Good luck with finding what you are looking for sir.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Buddy of mine recently got a Lenovo Ideapad Z585 and he loves it. He had an Asus G51VX from before and that served him well until the video card would crap out from time to time.

The Z585 retails at like $900ish, but he was able to get it for around $630 at out local Frys.

Good luck with finding what you are looking for sir.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man. I've had a couple friends with the Asus G51vx and they experienced the same problem. I really am focused on a laptop due to my living situation and how much I'm on the go. Anyone interested in a Macbook? Lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312434

Don't know how sufficient this is, but I've been thinking about grabbing one for cheap.

bread's done
Back