Looking to get started into the world of graphic novels

exileinoblivion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
After amazons big price mix up on ton's of omnibuses it got me really excited to try out some comic books and graphic novels that had been absent in my life since I was a kid. Well once my order got cancelled I found myself still looking around and wanting to try out some books. My question is since I really don't know much where is a good place to start. What are some of the better series to try out?

It would depend on what you like. There's a lot of great stuff going on. Marvel's got Siege going on, which is essentially the dethroning of Norman Osborn's reign over the Marvel universe. DC is wrapping up the Blackest Night (Green Lantern focus) and shifting into Brightest Day. There's also the return of Bruce Wayne starting up soon. There are also a lot of other companies that have some good things going on, depending on what kind of stuff you like. It would help to give us a reference to the kind of stuff you like

It is definitely based on taste. The Kick-Ass graphic novel comes out soon and it doesn't disappoint. I also enjoy The Second Stage Turbine Blade graphic novels.

I tend to like darker stories but since it's been ages since I read any kind of comics I was thinking about just getting the first volume in a few different series to see what I like.

That being said is there any kind of website where I can get almost a sample of different series? Kind of like how amazon will show you a couple pages, that way I can see if it something that interests me before I go out and buy it.

Right now just from the little bit of research I've done these are the different series I'm thinking about:

Watchmen(I think this is kind of a given)
Batman, the killing joke (I'm a little reluctant on this one because of the price for a shorter read)
Frank Millers Batman
Y: The Last Man
The Walking Dead
Invincible
The Runaways

I'll be sure to check out everyone elses suggestions also. The Absolute Sandman vol 1 looks amazing but it's a little out of my price range.

Check your local library in the teen section or ask a librarian if they have a graphic novel section.

Most libraries have an extensive collection, others just hide them with the author in the fiction section. I found all of Sandman mixed in with Gaiman's novels at one library.

[quote name='Kerig']Check your local library in the teen section or ask a librarian if they have a graphic novel section.

Most libraries have an extensive collection, others just hide them with the author in the fiction section. I found all of Sandman mixed in with Gaiman's novels at one library.[/QUOTE]

I wish this could be the case for me but my local library is the smallest, most useless place I've ever been.

Definitely don't pay for just The Killing Joke. Get DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore. The Killing Joke is included, as well as a lot of other great stuff, like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow (a grand send-off for the Silver-Age Superman) and For the Man Who Has Everything.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Definitely don't pay for just The Killing Joke. Get DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore. The Killing Joke is included, as well as a lot of other great stuff, like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow (a grand send-off for the Silver-Age Superman) and For the Man Who Has Everything.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks for the heads up I will definitely be ordering that instead especially since it's basically the same price.

And Squall thanks for that link, that website seems awesome. I've already spent way to much time browsing it.

The world of comics and graphic novels is confusing as hell at first but I'm getting really excited to actually get some reading in.

I've really enjoyed the Ultimate Spider-Man books, as well as Runaways. Also, check out the Scott Pilgrim books. The trailer for the film came out today, so it's a good time to check those out. You can read like 20 pages of the first book at scottpilgrim.com so you'll know if you'll dig it.

I was really hoping to get the Golden Age & Amazing Fantasy omnibuses (omnibi?) but the order was canceled. Anyone know of a cheaper way to read classic Marvel? Has DC done anything similar?

[quote name='physlics66']I was really hoping to get the Golden Age & Amazing Fantasy omnibuses (omnibi?) but the order was canceled. Anyone know of a cheaper way to read classic Marvel? Has DC done anything similar?[/QUOTE]
I got into graphic novels and comics just a couple years ago.

My first purchase was 40 years of the X-Men, which is more or less the entire X-Men comic library on a single DVD. The quality is not the greatest (simply scanned images of the original works), but it is the whole X-Men collection organized chronologically based upon publication! Anyway, I know there are other collections like this for Fantastic Four / Spider Man / etc., so if you are looking to get brought up to speed with mainstream comics, I recommend going this route.

[quote name='Swift900']I got into graphic novels and comics just a couple years ago.

My first purchase was 40 years of the X-Men, which is more or less the entire X-Men comic library on a single DVD. The quality is not the greatest (simply scanned images of the original works), but it is the whole X-Men collection organized chronologically based upon publication! Anyway, I know there are other collections like this for Fantastic Four / Spider Man / etc., so if you are looking to get brought up to speed with mainstream comics, I recommend going this route.[/QUOTE]
Thanks but I'm much more interested in a physical copy. Plus I wanted to check out the more obscure stuff. Maybe my local shop will have something on sale come Free Comic Book Day - only 5 weeks away (always sneaks up on me).

Aside from the stuff that everybody is going to recommend (because they're awesome and all...) -

Sandman
Fables
Y: The Last Man
Preacher
Walking Dead
Invincible
Sin City

Here's some stuff that almost everybody will recommend

Hellboy/B.P.R.D.
The Goon
Scott Pilgrim
100%, Batman Year 100, and stuff by Paul Pope
Sleeper, Incognito, and other books by Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips

And some personal recommendations -

Jack Staff/Kane by Paul Grist
Creature Tech, and pretty much anything by Doug TenNapel
King City by Brandon Graham
Street Angel by Jim Rugg
The Amazing Joy Buzzards
Savage Dragon!!

I could go on and on. Hope this helps get started!

I haven't read it, but i've had Superman: Red Son recommended to me. Basically a what if story where superman crashed in soviet russia rather than smallville.

Of course there is Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, that's practically required reading.

There are so many good graphic novels to choose from, it's hard to create a list. A few of my favorites include Marvels, The Dark Knight Returns, and Batman: Year One, although there are a ton of others I'd recommend as well. Another great choice would be The Ultimates HC Vols. 1 & 2.

One thing's for sure, TFAW.com will have it's spring cleaning sale in a month or two. At the end, prices will hit 70% off, with free shipping codes to be found, and no tax to most people. Easily the best place to get a ton of graphic novels cheap. Since you're just starting out, I'd suggest building a collection from there. You could spend a small amount and have plenty of reading material to last you through the end of 2010.

I will second Preacher. It's my favorite graphic novel series hands down. I'd also recommend checking out Transmetropolitan and as others mentioned, Hellboy and Sandman.

Sin City: Big Fat Kill (for starters, then slowly get into the rest of the Sin City Novels)
Astonishing X-Men
Wanted
Ronin

^the books ive read or currently reading and thier all very very good.

Sleeper by Ed Brubaker was amazing. Really good writing.

Nightly News by Jonathan Hickman. More great writing in a text heavy format.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen I and II
30 Days of Night
The Boys
The Darkness
Welcome Back Frank
Star Wars Tales
I also agree with the recommendations of Sandman, Preacher, Sin City, V For Vendetta, Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One, Kick-Ass, and Watchmen.

You guys are killing me. So many good suggestions, I'm gonna have a lot of reading. Another cool one I stumbled across was called hack/slash. It might not be for everyone but it appeals to the horror fan in me.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I see no mentions of Y: The Last Man or Fables. However to shoot you a deal. I have The Ultimates Vol. 1 and 2 (the oversized hardcovers) I wanna sell them for 25(with shipping dollars *retails at 60* If anyone's interested let me know. Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch did a excellent job on the series

If you're looking for cheap Golden Age Marvel comics, look into their Essentials collections. They're usually comprised of around 25 chronological issues of a certain character (Daredevil, Spider-Man, X-Men, Hulk, Iron Man, etc.) for around $15. The only drawback is that the paper is akin to something that they use for coloring books and is printed in black and white. If that doesn't bug you, they're a great way to read up on a character that you have an interest in without spending a lot of money.

[quote name='souNReAL']Sin City: Big Fat Kill (for starters, then slowly get into the rest of the Sin City Novels)
Astonishing X-Men
Wanted
Ronin

^the books ive read or currently reading and thier all very very good.[/QUOTE]

^^ this! Whedon/Cassaday knocked it out of the park. Definitely check out issues 1-24 of Astonishing.

[quote name='levelrey']The Runaways!!!!!!!! The first and the only graphic novel I keep up with.[/QUOTE]
keep up with...ever since vaughn left the title, and joss whedon did his run they almost go unrecognized in the whole marvel universe.

I just recently got into the Scott Pilgrim series.

Romance, Angst, Fighting, Slacking, Making Ex-Boyfriends explode into Coins, being one huge River City Ransom homage, Veganism, referencing nearly every game known to man, etc etc.

It's very very awesome.

If you get only one graphic novel that isn't Marvel or DC, get...

"Grendel: Devil By The Deed"

Excellent read. Great for people new to Grendel and it stands on it's own. Amazon has the hardcover available for under $12 as well!

[quote name='flatliner718']keep up with...ever since vaughn left the title, and joss whedon did his run they almost go unrecognized in the whole marvel universe.[/QUOTE]

Started with Terry Moore’s first Runaways arc which in my opinion was pretty bad. Wish Brian or Joss would come back and save it.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']You guys are killing me. So many good suggestions, I'm gonna have a lot of reading. Another cool one I stumbled across was called hack/slash. It might not be for everyone but it appeals to the horror fan in me.

Thanks for all the suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Yes and I could come up with more there are tons of graphic novels out there. I would suggest Half Priced Books if there is one in your area. Today only you can get 50% off a single item with the coupon from their website.

The Maxx (favorite of all time)
The Walking Dead (current favorite)
Scud the Disposable Assassin
Fear Agent
Watchmen
Invincible
The Goon
The Essential Marvel Books
Madman
Hellboy
The "Marvel Graphic Novel" line from the 80's, magazine-sized graphic novels, started with Death of Captain Marvel
Popbot

etc. etc. etc.

Amazon usually has decent prices on new graphic novels, TFAW's good for sales. Trade paperbacks are usually ridiculously cheap on eBay.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Yes and I could come up with more there are tons of graphic novels out there. I would suggest Half Priced Books if there is one in your area. Today only you can get 50% off a single item with the coupon from their website.[/QUOTE]

Yea I was waiting for today to check out what they had with the 50% off coupon. They really didn't have to many series I was interested in with the exception of 100 bullets but it was like volume 4 or 5 which doesn't help since I would be lost. What I was able to nab was Walking Dead volume 2 so I'm going to place an order on amazon for the first volume now and I'll have some good reading from that.

EDIT:

Damn, it seems like each volume of the walking dead is like $23 bucks but the walking dead compendum is only $37. It would have been much cheaper to just buy that.

Not much talk of indie/alternative/real-world-set graphic novels in this thread, but those are my favorites. Some I have collected and liked:

Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth
Asterios Polyp
Blankets
Persepolis
From Hell
Alec: The Years Have Pants
Ghost World
The Arrival
Black Hole
Fun Home
Waltz With Bashir
Local
Bottomless Bellybutton
David Boring
and of course Maus

check out the hell boy books. they can be got for about $8 and get better with each book. the spin offs are not that bad eather. and get a copy of long holloween

I'm in the same boat as you though I did read Y the last man and my wife and I loved it. For a shopping tip, sign up for Border Rewards. There weekly coupons range from 30% to 50% off. It saved us some money when we were buying up Y the last man.

bread's done
Back