Looking To Sell My Entire Collection, Need Advice

Zack-Morris

CAGiversary!
Hi everyone. I’m pretty new to the trading/selling forum, and was hoping to get some advice. With my wife pregnant with our third child, and daycare expenses exceeding our monthly mortgage payment, I’ve decided to start selling off my gaming collection. I have about 30 years of games and memorabilia. Lots of rare games, E3 trinkets from over the years, and tons of game store promotional items (posters, shirts, stand ups, etc.). That said, I’d like to start selling on CAG, and I want to make sure I’m clear on how things work around here.

My plan is to set up one thread that I will update once a week, and group items in logical sets. For instance, I have boxes of unworn gaming shirts that I would list for the first week, then follow up the next week with posters, or import games. Does that sound appropriate for this forum? I’ve read the FAQs and understand the rules, but would appreciate any advice for selling a massive amount of items.

Here is a good place. I've also seen people sell collections on big retro gaming Facebook groups and on eBay.

A resource like price charting or gamevaluenow can help with the value of certain items.

Lots of pics and a wiling to make a deal if someone buys a lot will get you pretty far.

That being said, any Dreamcast, N64, or Saturn stuff? How about complete in box Genesis or SNES games?

Sounds like you probably have some pretty amazing stuff, I'm really curious to see what you list. 

Since you are new to selling and have no feedback yet, my personal advice would be to sell some lower priced items first and establish yourself a reputation as an honest seller with a few feedback scores before you start dropping expensive items and heavy hitters. With no feedback whatsoever, if you were to list a copy of a rare game there is a likeliness that people may assume you are trying to sell bootlegs and will start demanding board pics, which is understandable. 

I would drop a bunch of $10-$20 items or whatever and then move on to bigger ticket stuff or larger lots later. 

As kube00 stated, if you sell larger lots you can't be selling everything at full price. In fact you really need to be competitive with everything you sell. Not to say you need to let yourself get ripped off, but you need to account for the fact that selling here means no ebay fees and buyers will assume that you can give them better rates. You get to use the CAG marketplace as a free tool and part of the point of it is to be able to offer the gaming community a benefit over the high prices of ebay. 

Best of luck! I'll be watching for your items.  

Here is a good place. I've also seen people sell collections on big retro gaming Facebook groups and on eBay.

A resource like price charting or gamevaluenow can help with the value of certain items.

Lots of pics and a wiling to make a deal if someone buys a lot will get you pretty far.

That being said, any Dreamcast, N64, or Saturn stuff? How about complete in box Genesis or SNES games?

Not much N64, but I have a decent Saturn and Dreamcast collection. I have some COB Genesis, but no SNES. I’ll take some pictures of the game room tonight, and start listing some stuff here this weekend.

Also interested in seeing what you've got. Congrats by the way on the new addition!

I like JoshTX advice, start small to build your rep before posting any big ticket items. Good luck.

bread's done
Back