Lord of the Rings bluray trilogy $50.75 shipped (dead)

opterasis

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
http://www.wbshop.com/Lord-Of-The-Rings-Trilogy-BD/1000092794,default,pd.html?adid=C

Use coupon codes "CABINWB" and "WRNRBLU". Some people may have to pay a little more for sales tax depending on the state you live in.

Like Amazon, wbshop charges once it ships. Although I've heard they put a temporary hold on the card you pay with, so expect that, it will go back on to your card after a few days.

Let's not turn this into a thread bitching about how it's the theatrical cuts and not the EE's please.
Credit goes to Diesel on blu-ray.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I went ahead and ordered. I'm definitely going to buy the EE's when they come out (2011 or 2012), but for now I'm more than happy with the Theatrical versions for around $16.99 a piece (my total came to $50.75- no tax and free shipping).

The way I look at it is I can give them as a gift once I buy the Extended Editions. Otherwise, I have the Theatrical versions to watch over and over again until that day comes.

Good price, but *cough* "it's the theatrical cuts and not the EE's" *cough :D

Has anyone heard anything about the transfer? I'm thinkin since I have the theatrical and EE DVDs, I'll pass until the super ultra mega BluRay edition is out. Tempting tho!! ARR

Gah, I'm torn. I was going to wait for the EE's, but this is a pretty good deal for the theatrical releases. And I'd like to have both, if they pull the same stunt they did with the DVD's and don't release both version on the EE's.

I wonder how much of what's on these they're going to copy onto the EE's, or if there's going to be anything included on here that'll make them worth getting over the EE's.

I guess I could just wait and see if I can't pick these up for 40 or something down the line... *sigh* Stupid New Line.

I'm going to pass on this for now but I'm definitely picking up the EEs when they come out. Are they going to be able to fit each EE movie on one disc?

[quote name='javeryh']I'm going to pass on this for now but I'm definitely picking up the EEs when they come out. Are they going to be able to fit each EE movie on one disc?[/QUOTE]Same here on the EE's being picked up when they come out.

I don't think they could get four hours on a BR disc without doing some ugly compression on the video or audio. It'll be hard enough with three hours with the theatrical version, though that one would likely be the movie only on one disc and the extras on a second one.

EE's will probably be two discs per movie, plus additional discs for the extras.

[quote name='shrike4242']Same here on the EE's being picked up when they come out.

I don't think they could get four hours on a BR disc without doing some ugly compression on the video or audio. It'll be hard enough with three hours with the theatrical version, though that one would likely be the movie only on one disc and the extras on a second one.

EE's will probably be two discs per movie, plus additional discs for the extras.[/QUOTE]

If they use a dual layered disc, it might be possible to fit the whole extended movie on a single disc. 50 GB is a lot of space.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']If they use a dual layered disc, it might be possible to fit the whole extended movie on a single disc. 50 GB is a lot of space.[/QUOTE]Every movie of high quality PQ and AQ is already on a dual-layer disc, and yes, there's a lot of space, though I think they'll have issues with 1080p video + lossless audio for four hours fitting on a single disc without some compression issues. Three hours shouldn't be an issue, though since we know the theatrical versions are a six-disc set, they'll have movie on one disc and extras on the second disc per movie.

It's been a while since anything has been posted in the thread, but I wanted to share with everyone that I received an e-mail confirmation today stating that my order has been shipped!

This Blu-ray set isn't supposed to come out until Tuesday, April 6th, yet I should have my copy in the next couple days (probably by Monday). I can't wait!

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Overprice! I'd already pre-ordered mine for $22 shipped. Can't beat that price.[/QUOTE]

From?

Slashdot - ignore pinoy. He got it off a price mistake. They shouldn't have even let him order one as his "larger" order was canceled. He's not keen on how to not rub it in peoples faces.

[quote name='rushisrighton']it's showing 64.96 after coupon for me??? where is the lower price?[/QUOTE]

don't worry, you didn't miss much. $17 per blu ray for theatrical versions and a crappy transfer is a ripoff. i can't believe they would allow such a debacle to happen with such an important movie. or actually, i can. putting out a bad product first raises the number of people who will upgrade again when the EE's come out.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']putting out a bad product first raises the number of people who will upgrade again when the EE's come out.[/QUOTE]

Or it's just giving people further justification to wait for the extended editions.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Or it's just giving people further justification to wait for the extended editions.[/QUOTE]

there are enough uninformed morons to make this a profitable strategy for them.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']there are enough uninformed morons to make this a profitable strategy for them.[/QUOTE]

Along with people who despite the DNR debacle will buy it anyways.

Mine shipped out today, and will be at my place tomorrow 3 days earlier than release!

I'm one of those morons that don't give a damn about a 4 1/2 hour movie. I loved the movies released in theaters, they were nominated best picture for a reason. I guess I'm not a TRUE fan....

[quote name='anthony0187']meh

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2313/lordringstrilogy.html[/QUOTE]

While it's a very good review, the reviewer's bias comes out at the end when he talks about the Extended Editions being the true versions of the films.

However, Peter Jackson himself said the Theatrical Versions are in his mind the true versions of the films, and the Extended Editions are more or less for those "obsessed fans" who live, sleep, and breath LOTR.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I will 100% buy the Extended Editions Trilogy on Blu-ray when it comes out, however I'm not willing to wait 2 plus years in order to do so. For now, the Theatrical Editions are good enough for me. Talk about a set you can sell on E-bay instantly!

Besides, my plan is to give the set away as a gift whenever I decide to buy the Extended Editions. It's a win-win situation, though it saddens me somewhat that New Line/Time Warner didn't put more time and effort into making this set more spectacular.

I got my set today in the mail, and while there's nothing overwhelming about it, I can't wait to experience all three of the films again in the best quality possible at this time.

It includes one case with 6 Discs (3 Blu-rays, and 3 Special Features DVD's), and the other Case with 3 Digital Copy versions of the film that can be installed.

One thing that puzzles me about the Digital Copies is that there's an expiration date on them of April 2011! Hopefully that just means that you have until then to redeem/install them, and once you do so you're given a code or notification that will allow you to reinstall forever. If not, then you're paying for something that you can't even use a year from now!

I couldn't wait, putting LOTR Fellowship of the Rings into my PS3 to see how it looked. All I can say is wow! And they say this is the worst looking transfer of the three films too! Well worth it if you can still buy this for $50.75 with free shipping.

There's no way these movies go for less than $19.99 individually (I'm not even sure if they're going to sell them individually or not?), and $59.99 as a set. I could put this on Ebay tomorrow for $75, and get it.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']One thing that puzzles me about the Digital Copies is that there's an expiration date on them of April 2011! Hopefully that just means that you have until then to redeem/install them, and once you do so you're given a code or notification that will allow you to reinstall forever. If not, then you're paying for something that you can't even use a year from now![/QUOTE]

You are correct in that you have to redeem/install them by that time inorder to actually get your digital copy. I didn't realize this until I saw the label on the packaging as well, and immediately went and redeemed all the codes for other movies I had that I hadn't paid attention to that on. Fortunately I got most of them, even though more than a few had already expired. I think the animated Wonder Woman is the only one that I missed out on (which is actually amusing, since it only expired last month, compared to, say, Wall-E, which expired Nov, 2009.)

[quote name='INCyr']You are correct in that you have to redeem/install them by that time inorder to actually get your digital copy. I didn't realize this until I saw the label on the packaging as well, and immediately went and redeemed all the codes for other movies I had that I hadn't paid attention to that on. Fortunately I got most of them, even though more than a few had already expired. I think the animated Wonder Woman is the only one that I missed out on (which is actually amusing, since it only expired last month, compared to, say, Wall-E, which expired Nov, 2009.)[/QUOTE]

Interesting to know. I should probably mention this fact to my father, because I know he's bought quite a few movies with a digital copy included, and he'd assume (like I did) that they never expire.

I guess my other question is once you've redeemed them, can you install them forever, or once that expiration date comes around, are you no longer able to install the movie(s) again even though you've redeemed it before that date?

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']I couldn't wait, putting LOTR Fellowship of the Rings into my PS3 to see how it looked. All I can say is wow! And they say this is the worst looking transfer of the three films too! Well worth it if you can still buy this for $50.75 with free shipping.

There's no way these movies go for less than $19.99 individually (I'm not even sure if they're going to sell them individually or not?), and $59.99 as a set. I could put this on Ebay tomorrow for $75, and get it.[/QUOTE]

It'll be $59.99 the week of release. Good luck getting $15 more for it :roll:

[quote name='GizmoGC']It'll be $59.99 the week of release. Good luck getting $15 more for it :roll:[/QUOTE]

You're not understanding my comment. I looked on Ebay, and there's not a single listing for this anywhere. If someone wanted it before release date, then I could see someone buying this for $70-$75. Amazon has it for $63.99, but most other retailers are offering it for $69.99 or more.

Also, $59.99 the week of release is a moronic statement. If it was going to be $59.99, Amazon, Walmart ($59.86), Best Buy, etc. would already have it listed for that price! :roll:

I can also safely say that no retailer will offer this set for $50 or less for at least 6 months, and more likely not until the Extended Edition Blu-rays are announced/released. If you're unhappy with Time Warner/New Line (hell I am even) for trying to milk their franchise, then don't buy it. However, anyone saying $50.75 with no tax and free shipping for this trilogy set isn't a good deal is ignorant! :bomb:

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']You're not understanding my comment. I looked on Ebay, and there's not a single listing for this anywhere. If someone wanted it before release date, then I could see someone buying this for $70-$75. Amazon has it for $63.99, but most other retailers are offering it for $69.99 or more.

Also, $59.99 the week of release is a moronic statement. If it was going to be $59.99, Amazon, Walmart ($59.86), Best Buy, etc. would already have it listed for that price! :roll:

I can also safely say that no retailer will offer this set for $50 or less for at least 6 months, and more likely not until the Extended Edition Blu-rays are announced/released. If you're unhappy with Time Warner/New Line (hell I am even) for trying to milk their franchise, then don't buy it. However, anyone saying $50.75 with no tax and free shipping for this trilogy set isn't a good deal is ignorant! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

It comes out in 3 days. There is no way someone would pay $15 extra to buy it from you today on eBay and hope it arrives before release date (Monday)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256919
$59.99 at Target

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257086
$59.99 at Best Buy

That's in 3 days. The ad's go live TOMORROW.

And there are tons on eBay:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...f+the+rings+blu-ray&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Wow. :roll: Remind me to never ask you for advice. How many times did I just peg you wrong?

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']You're not understanding my comment. I looked on Ebay, and there's not a single listing for this anywhere. If someone wanted it before release date, then I could see someone buying this for $70-$75. Amazon has it for $63.99, but most other retailers are offering it for $69.99 or more.

I can also safely say that no retailer will offer this set for $50 or less for at least 6 months, and more likely not until the Extended Edition Blu-rays are announced/released. If you're unhappy with Time Warner/New Line (hell I am even) for trying to milk their franchise, then don't buy it. However, anyone saying $50.75 with no tax and free shipping for this trilogy set isn't a good deal is ignorant! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I must know, are you on drugs?

[quote name='opterasis']I must know, are you on drugs?[/QUOTE]

I have a copy of Sherlock Holmes on Blu-ray and I'm gonna sell it for $48 on eBay. There are like none on it right now and no store sells it for cheaper. Infact, it's been eaten by a shark!

Seriously, I've never seen so much misinformation in a single post. It's almost magical the way he pulls stuff out of his ass.

[quote name='opterasis']Seriously, I've never seen so much misinformation in a single post. It's almost magical the way he pulls stuff out of his ass.[/QUOTE]

I triple checked to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding him. I'd love to live in his world. I mean, gees, I've had the set for like 2 weeks, I could have possible sold it back then for maybe a $10 'profit' over the $59.99 price. Maybe. But daaaaaamn. He is nuts.

[quote name='GizmoGC']It comes out in 3 days. There is no way someone would pay $15 extra to buy it from you today on eBay and hope it arrives before release date (Monday)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256919
$59.99 at Target

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257086
$59.99 at Best Buy

That's in 3 days. The ad's go live TOMORROW.

And there are tons on eBay:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...f+the+rings+blu-ray&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Wow. :roll: Remind me to never ask you for advice. How many times did I just peg you wrong?[/QUOTE]

So my comment was proven wrong shortly after I made it. I guess retailers don't have a clue when it comes to supply and demand. I say this meaning there shouldn't have been an MSRP of $99.99 if Target, Best Buy, and others are willing to sell it for 40% off right on day one!

At the time I typed the comment, I was correct. There wasn't but one listing on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lord-of-the-Rin...QptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item563b0f8dda

Now there are multiple copies for sale, so you're right in that I couldn't get $75 for the set. I guess I would have been better off saying I can sell it for $50-$60 used whenever the Extended Editions come out (currently 2011 or 2012). It's a box set that's never going to depreciate much.

I still stand by my comment of $50.75 being the best offer anyone is going to see for a while.

[quote name='opterasis']I must know, are you on drugs?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='opterasis']Seriously, I've never seen so much misinformation in a single post. It's almost magical the way he pulls stuff out of his ass.[/QUOTE]

It's real easy to make these comments after the fact, but everything I posted at that time was accurate. Is it any wonder we're spoiled by Amazon, Best Buy, and the like?

I also find it funny how the same people that will bitch about this set exploiting fans of LOTR will be the first ones to buy it for $29.99 or $39.99 on sale. If you want something bad enough, you shouldn't expect to get it for "free" or "near-free" as some of the members here believe.

Those are the people who are truly "on drugs". :booty:

[quote name='Hunter1671']I'm one of those morons that don't give a damn about a 4 1/2 hour movie. I loved the movies released in theaters, they were nominated best picture for a reason. I guess I'm not a TRUE fan....[/QUOTE]

Its not that the theatrical cuts are bad. They are still great. To people like me however we prefer the extended cuts as the added footage adds more character, plot, and fun. Now does it make you any less of a fan if you prefer the theatrical over the extended? No not really. Its just what you prefer.

However I do recommend if it makes the extended versions a bit more watchable is to break it down into a six part mini series of sorts. Watch one disc a night. Honestly that's how I watch the extended cuts myself. I do the marathon once a year. Quite fun that way. :D

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']It's real easy to make these comments after the fact, but everything I posted at that time was accurate. Is it any wonder we're spoiled by Amazon, Best Buy, and the like?

I also find it funny how the same people that will bitch about this set exploiting fans of LOTR will be the first ones to buy it for $29.99 or $39.99 on sale. If you want something bad enough, you shouldn't expect to get it for "free" or "near-free" as some of the members here believe.

Those are the people who are truly "on drugs". :booty:[/QUOTE]

Every time this dude talks he sounds more and more like a dumb ass. :drool:

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']It's real easy to make these comments after the fact, but everything I posted at that time was accurate. Is it any wonder we're spoiled by Amazon, Best Buy, and the like? [/quote]

No, it wasn't or he wouldn't have been able to prove you wrong on so many facts in a matter of minutes. Just because you thought it was true in the magical world in your head doesn't mean it was.

No one should ever pay full price for an inferior product. It shows the company "Yes, we want this, but you screwed it up, so you don't deserve what you charged for it."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blackhole82']Wow is the picture quality that bad to only get 3 stars? :/[/QUOTE]

I'm not one to usually notice things like bad picture quality most of the time, but some of the screenshots I've seen have been really bad.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']So my comment was proven wrong shortly after I made it. I guess retailers don't have a clue when it comes to supply and demand. I say this meaning there shouldn't have been an MSRP of $99.99 if Target, Best Buy, and others are willing to sell it for 40% off right on day one![/quote]

40% off is standard for Release week discount. Don't you ever follow the weekly ads...ever?

At the time I typed the comment, I was correct. There wasn't but one listing on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lord-of-the-Rin...QptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item563b0f8dda

So you're saying within 1 hour and 15 minutes (until I replied) some 25 or so people decided to list LOTR Blu-ray for sale? Yeah....good luck making anyone believe that.

Take a look at the complete auctions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LORD-OF-THE-RIN...QptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item45f1e0da44

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lord-of-the-Rin...QptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item563a25077e

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-LORD-OF-THE...QptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item23060ccd52

+ like 8 more. Completed. Days ago. Chalk up another case of misinformation.

Now there are multiple copies for sale, so you're right in that I couldn't get $75 for the set. I guess I would have been better off saying I can sell it for $50-$60 used whenever the Extended Editions come out (currently 2011 or 2012). It's a box set that's never going to depreciate much.

I still stand by my comment of $50.75 being the best offer anyone is going to see for a while.

Yet another stupid comment. You think in a year + you will still get $50-$60 for a used boxset? Take a look at every other boxset that's been out just as long - they go for far less. Things don't stay the same or appreciate in value - especially something that is being pressed in the millions.

Please, stand by your comment. I will bump this thread as soon as it's cheaper and we can have another laugh at your expense.

Please, stop spreading misinformation.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']It's real easy to make these comments after the fact, but everything I posted at that time was accurate. Is it any wonder we're spoiled by Amazon, Best Buy, and the like?[/quote]

No, you were wrong. There were mutliple listings on ebay. The ads were posted days ago showing $59.99 as the release week price. 40% off is typical for release week. You. Were. Wrong.

Those are the people who are truly "on drugs". :booty:

I didn't pay one cent for mine - Warner shipped it to me for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. 2 weeks ago. http://bluviews.moviemansguide.com/?p=923

Oh, wise one, I'd like to sell you some Blu-rays for near MSRP. I bet you can turn a real profit on them.

When can we nominate someone poster of the year?

There sure are a lot of comments in this thread from people who have no intention of buying this set criticizing those who did. You're entitled to your opinions (which I haven't criticized) and I'm entitled to mine (which you're quick to ridicule).

Regardless of whether or not you think the quality of the release is good (or rushed like a lot of reviewers tend to believe), the point is you won't find a better quality release of these films for 12 to 18 months, and quite possibly longer.

Also (and the reason I posted in this thread in the first place), you won't find this set for under $50 anytime soon. $59.99 is not $50.75.

One last comment. You have a misconception of time if you think 1 hour and 25 minutes passed between my statement of their only being the one listing on Ebay and multiple others being listed. I made the comment at around 6 AM, and you replied at around 2 PM. How in the hell is that 1 hour and 25 minutes? And OF COURSE there's going to be more box sets listed as people receive them in the mail like I did! When I made the comment, I was probably one of only a few hundred that had it in their possession (Friday April 2nd).

The whole point was that people could get their hands on them before their release date of April 6th, and that meant something. Yes now the market is saturated with them, so no I won't be getting top dollar for it on Ebay, but 6-12 Months from now $40 is a guarantee, and most likely $50.

bread's done
Back