Lord of The Rings Extended Editions Coming to Theaters in June

ROB64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
The extended editions of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy are coming to Blu-Ray, so why not celebrate the home video release with a trip to a movie theater? That's right, AMC Theaters is going to theatrically release the extra-long (and in some cases unnecessarily long) version of Peter Jackson's Oscar-winning trilogy this June, over the course of three weeks (a la the Stars Wars special edition re-releases). TheOneRing had the scoop, with promises of more fabulous information to come. New footage? Previews of The Hobbit? It's worth keeping track of, and Crave Online is going to do exactly that thing.
http://www.craveonline.com/film/articles/166831-the-lord-of-the-rings-extended-editions-coming-to-th

I can tell I'll be spending a lot on movies this summer...

EDIT: The dates for the releases are June 14th, 21st, and 28th; one day only for each movie.
http://www.movieweb.com/news/the-lo...d-edition-trilogy-returns-to-theaters-in-june

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember doing Trilogy Tuesday before ROTK came out. All 3 movies in one day, select theaters only and the extended editions for the first 2. It was EPIC. I wouldn't minding it again.

$37.50 to see all three. I'm probably in for this. Only ONE AMC theatre near me though. I may have to get tickets early...

They're already available for purchase on Fandango.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I hope they do a special showing of them back to back. Though sitting in a theater for ~13 hours might be rough.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm sure the theater would enjoy picking up popcorn buckets with urine, feces and used condoms in them too.

Maybe we should have the Koreans come over and give us a class on marathoning.

This will be a great holiday season for blu ray fanatics. Star Wars and LOTR.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']I remember doing Trilogy Tuesday before ROTK came out. All 3 movies in one day, select theaters only and the extended editions for the first 2. It was EPIC. I wouldn't minding it again.[/QUOTE]

I did this in NYC for the release of ROTK. Extended version of FOTR and TT, then some of the actors made an appearance: the actors that play Frodo, Sam, Gollum. Then a midnight showing of ROTK.

The unlimited soda refill that I bought was one of my best deals to date!

Wonder if the AMCs up here will be doing this? America, Jr. seems to be left out of a lot of promotions.

[quote name='Demolition Man']I pray they will have intermissions during these. Especially for ROTK which is 4 hours 11 minutes or so.[/QUOTE]

Or 2.5 hours once you trim out Frodo and Sam's Mount Doomback Mountain scenes.

I loved the movies but then I read the books I re-watched the films and I didn't like the films anymore, aha. Still, it's cool to have a great package for fans of the film.

[quote name='Necrozilla']Are the action scenes extended, or is it only walking scenes? What would you say the ratio is?[/QUOTE]

Some more action scenes, a lot is dialogue scenes that get more into the back story and flesh things out more.

I'm not sure what the ratio is, but I'd say that the EE's are really only for big LOTR fans who really love the story. Casual fans who mainly liked the movies for the battle scenes need not apply. Jackson said he put them out for fans of the books.

Damn, no AMC theaters near me or I'd be all over this. We only have a few Raves and a local nonchain theater. Sadface.

[quote name='Necrozilla']Are the action scenes extended, or is it only walking scenes? What would you say the ratio is?[/QUOTE]
Most of the extended pieces in the first two are dialog and short extensions to scenes that expand the characters a bit more (along with a few extended fighting/monster sequences), but ROTK has a lot more battle footage along with all of that (50 minutes.)
They're definitely worth a watch if you've never seen them before.

Also, I agree about the book being better, but you have to admit: the writers did an excellent job of translating a book like The Lord of the Rings into a movie with time and budget constraints. I was actually surprised they turned out as good as they did.

wow each of those movies was uncomfortably long already and now they want to release extended version in the theatres? hope you get to take a nap in the middle.

I'm sure they'll do an intermission in the middle where the break is on the DVDs. Afterall, they want to give people a chance to buy more over priced food and drinks! :D

Am I the only one who doesn't want an intermission? The whole reason to see them in theaters is to see the whole movie without having to change the dvd (or take a scheduled piss break) in the middle.

[quote name='Strell']One day only? It's going to take weeks to clear out the smell.[/QUOTE]

One day for each movie, not one day for the whole trilogy.

[quote name='ROB64']Am I the only one who doesn't want an intermission? The whole reason to see them in theaters is to see the whole movie without having to change the dvd (or take a scheduled piss break) in the middle.[/QUOTE]

The reason to see them in the theater is to see them on the giant screen and super loud sound. My 50" tv and crappy 5.1 set up (that I can't turn up since I'm in a condo) just can't compare to that.

[quote name='dmaul1114']One day for each movie, not one day for the whole trilogy.[/QUOTE]

I know. That's not changing the situation.

Wow!

After two pages, I'm the only one who's not excited. I mean the movies were OK, but I don't think they warrant ten different DVD releases and more than one theater release.

I think I blame Gandalf for my lukewarm feelings. The sword fights were good, but he disappointed. I had heard he was a badass for years, but his fight scenes were dumb. I just caught one of the Harry Potters on TV and, as I was watching Dumbledor fight Voldemort, I couldn't help but thinking that was cooler than Gandalf's fight scenes. Shouting "none shall pass" just doesn't cut it for me.

bread's done
Back