Los Angeles CAGers: Where's a good movie theater for Episode III?

AnthonyRoundtree

CAGiversary!
Los Angles CAGers: Where's a good movie theater for Episode III?

I'll be in town for E3 this May, and, being a New Yorker, I haven't the slightest idea where, (or how) I'm gonna get to catch Episode III at Midnight on the night of May 18th.

What's my best bet, (actually a group of four) to get in on some midnight action...
We won't have a car... but anywhere within reasonable walking distance from the convention center (or public bus) would be great to know about.

Anything with DLP and good sound?

Any help here?

sorry dude, but i'm not too sure of a good place near the convention center. if you had a car though( or a taxi) you could head over to mann's chinese theatre over in hollywood.it'sa huge theatre with a great sound system.

[quote name='gigan54']sorry dude, but i'm not too sure of a good place near the convention center. if you had a car though( or a taxi) you could head over to mann's chinese theatre over in hollywood.it'sa huge theatre with a great sound system.[/QUOTE]

yeah...
i'm pretty sure they'll have a line around the block at Mann's ready to fill that show by May 10th.

anything closer at all?

anyone?

Graumann's is still debating whether they are showing it or not to much controversy (though I think the giant line may lead them to doing so - or instigate another riot).

The Arclight Cinerama Dome off Sunset and Vine is a good place to see it in style (though a little more pricey - but highest quality you're going to get in the area). Not too far from Staples, but not exactly walkable - sorry.

i want to go to e3 now, for a video game fan, i think the most important event in your life might be may 9-17 of this year, how you get a solid ticket for that man, and im looking forward to catching the new star wars too

[quote name='rmoushon']Graumann's is still debating whether they are showing it or not to much controversy (though I think the giant line may lead them to doing so - or instigate another riot).

The Arclight Cinerama Dome off Sunset and Vine is a good place to see it in style (though a little more pricey - but highest quality you're going to get in the area). Not too far from Staples, but not exactly walkable - sorry.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Arclight would be best, and if you don't mind spring a few bucks for a cab ride it would be worth it. Or hell, IIRC you can take the METRO from the convention center down to the strip, and Arclight would be just a short walk from the Highland or Vine stations. If I'm mistaken, hopefully a more current LA CAG will say so...
Enjoy it man - I'm jealous! I miss LA... :(

Near the Convention Center? Excuse me for a moment...

Haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha-haha

Downtown Los Angeles is an utter friggin' pit. I've lived in in or near LA County my entire life and only go to downtown LA for events at the CC and when I'm being paid for IT work in one of the office towers. You do not want to do anything at all there that isn't dictated by E3 itself. Not only isn't there a good place near the CC, there isn't even a bad place. There is a multiplex in the mall near the Wilshire Grand but who knows if it'll be opening there. If you're looking for a deluxe house I don't think that would be the place.

Really, your best bet is to line up plans with friends who live locally and have their own transportation. For us native Angelenos it's no big deal to drive a few dozen miles for such things. There are MetroRail stops right by the Convention Center but don't be fooled. It can be bewilderingly difficult to use compared to using the subway in Manhatten. All too often the closest station to your destination will leave you with a walk equivalent to crossing the island lengthwise on foot.

[quote name='rmoushon']Graumann's is still debating whether they are showing it or not to much controversy (though I think the giant line may lead them to doing so - or instigate another riot).

The Arclight Cinerama Dome off Sunset and Vine is a good place to see it in style (though a little more pricey - but highest quality you're going to get in the area). Not too far from Staples, but not exactly walkable - sorry.[/QUOTE]

Don't you think it strange that you name the dome by the recent ownership but identify the Chinese by an ownership that hasn't existed in decades?

[quote name='Zon27']The Arclight is ok if you like paying $16 for a evening movie.[/QUOTE]

thats a deal out here on the island, by the way im still curious on how to get tickets to E3, without being a game designer/mass media person

DAMN, I forgot I'll be in LA too for E3/ my grandmother's wedding(lol I know I know...). I know LA quite well but I need a good theater suggestion.

[quote name='Zon27']The Arclight is ok if you like paying $16 for a evening movie.[/QUOTE]

well... $16 is fine with me....

what would the trek like from the CC to the Arclight?

Not fun, about eight/nine miles (though I'm kind of lazy) - through some not so nice neighborhoods. I'd recommend a cab, especially while going with a group of four. You'd probably take the 101 and wouldn't be that long a ride.

Another plus note, while they are expensive - Arclight has a bar and alcoholic filled 21+ screenings on most adult movies in their first week of release. Though from past experience, others tend to ruin these more times than not.

[quote name='n2x0000']The AMC 16 in Burbank is pretty cool. Go there and experience the air conditioning.[/QUOTE]

I saw Episode I there when TI rolled out DLP. The screen was kinda small though.

I think ABC Media Center (across Ave. of Stars from the Century City Mall) is a good place if they are showing it. The Grove near Beverly Hills is also good.

Avoid the AMC Century City theaters. Old auditoriums, bad crowd.

bread's done
Back