LOST - Is it worth my time?

grrouchie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Hello all.
I have watched maybe half an episode of Lost, and that was Season 1 probably.

I know they finally ended it and it's a big hub hub or whatever, so I come to you for informed opinions.

Is it worth my time to watch this series?

Why or why not.

Thanks for your time.

It's worth your time. The ending disappointed a lot of people, but hell, The Wire, Sopranos, Battlestar Galactica, etc. had controversial endings and they're still among the best TV shows ever made. Lost is definitely among the top ten TV dramas of all time. I don't think any critic will ever put out a list without it taking up a spot.

ATTENTION WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO READ IS THE ONE AND ONLY TRUTH:

Yes you should definitely watch the whole series, I have never watch a television show where I felt feeling(emotions) for the characters . The story was great , some didnt like the ending but I thought it was marvelous.

Hell, I even went as far as buying DHARMA initiative skins for my PS3 and iPhone haha and also some Dharma coffee mugs

LOST is one of my favorite shows. I say it is completely worth it.
I know the end disappointed a lot of people, but there is no way to end a show like LOST and make everyone happy. I think because people had such high expectations they were let down.
Watch it!!

It is worth watching if you don't mind key questions never really being answered. Some of the best characters on any show I have seen and everything involving the characters is worth the time. It starts as Sci-fi important and shifts to character important.

Just giving you the heads up if you intend to watch and are fact driven like myself.

Greatest show ever! Watch it straight through, if you don't like it give up as you'll either see the genius or just hate it and dismiss it. If you stick it out, you're in for something epic!

Yes, especially the first 3 seasons... it's start straying around season 4.
I'm currently working my way through Season 6.
About to start up the PS3 game that I got off Amazon for $12 - i heard the game is terrible but as a Lost fan, I can't resist.

And like aquaboy1976 mentoned, the soundtrack is excellent.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Just for Sawyer.[/QUOTE]

I have a cat that I named after Sawyer.

The show is the greatest of all time. Watch at least the first 4 episodes of the series, bare minimum. A friend showed me those during the summer of 2006, in between seasons 2 and 3, and I was hooked. I immediately went out and bought the season 1 box set and watched it in 2 days. Then I picked up season 2 when it was released that September, and watched the last 4 seasons live.

I've seen every episode of seasons 1-5 at least 5 times, and every episode of season 6 at least twice. I marathoned the entire series each year before each subsequent season started. My season 6 Blu-ray is in the mail, and once I catch up on some stuff on my DVR (it's getting full) I'll be doing a marathon of the entire series.

In short, Lost is exponentially superior to any and every TV show or movie ever made, in my opinion.

[quote name='sabin23']Yes, especially the first 3 seasons... it's start straying around season 4.
I'm currently working my way through Season 6.
About to start up the PS3 game that I got off Amazon for $12 - i heard the game is terrible but as a Lost fan, I can't resist.

And like aquaboy1976 mentioned, the soundtrack is excellent.[/QUOTE]

I actually think season 4 might be the best one. If it's not the best, it's second only to season 1.

As for the game, it sucks from a gameplay standpoint, but it was well worth the $30 I paid for it a couple years ago as far as being very satisfying and enjoyable fan service.

I watched a few episodes when it first came on and then I stopped. Someone I worked with at the time and I would talk about it. After talking about it one day they said how they thought it would end and I thought about it. After seeing the last episode and talking about it in the thread they were right to some point.

My queston to you is why did you only watch half an episode. If you couldn't get into it then maybe rent the first season. If you liked what you saw but something kept you from watching the series then yeah pick them up.

Best TV show ever!

I do highly recommend it, especially the first two seasons. Just pure gold.

A lot of people didn't like the last 3 seasons or so, but I enjoyed the entire series. The first two seasons are probably the best television seasons ever aired.

Just don't expect real answers to any of the mysteries. The show is apparently first and foremost about the characters. While their stories will ultimately be ended satisfactorily (everybody gets a happy ending basically), the mysteries of the island do not. Sure, you learn what caused the crash, but if you like your time traveling islands to be explained to you, sorry Charlie. Not gonna happen.

I was let down by the ending and lack of attention to dealing with island mysteries the last couple of seasons, but it was still a great show.

Just watch it, as others have noted, from the viewpoint of it being about the characters, and with foreknowledge that most of the island mysteries don't get dealt with very satisfactorily and you can probably enjoy it without the let down at the end.

It seems like threads about LOST become 95% full of people saying OMGZ BEST SHOW EVER then try to defend all criticisms they've ever heard before someone gets a chance to say
"who the hell made the airdrops?"
(Supposedly that question gets answered in the epilogue on the DVDs that I'm not going to buy :roll:)

Anyway, my girlfriend and I gave into the hype the day after the show ended. We watched every episode over the next 3 weeks and barely left the house. It is definitely worth a watch but it kind of has to be taken at face value. They throw you for loops just for the sake of doing so and there are some things that you can tell obviously aired during sweeps week. That said, rent the first season and if you don't like then don't watch anymore. Season 1 is the best season and if you're not hooked after the first 10 episodes then you never will be.

[quote name='sendme']I watched a few episodes when it first came on and then I stopped. Someone I worked with at the time and I would talk about it. After talking about it one day they said how they thought it would end and I thought about it. After seeing the last episode and talking about it in the thread they were right to some point.

My queston to you is why did you only watch half an episode. If you couldn't get into it then maybe rent the first season. If you liked what you saw but something kept you from watching the series then yeah pick them up.[/QUOTE]

I don't get many opportunities to watch TV, and I have not had Cable in years so I have missed a ton of great shows because they never appear on my tube unless I borrow rent or buy a season.

Lost is one of those shows that I wanted to watch but just never seemed to buy any of the seasons for and now that it is over I have been thinking about picking up Season 1 (when I can find a good cheap price....) or starting a Netflix and renting the seasons.

As someone who watched it from the beginning to the end, I say NO.

I realized I was in trouble when I was half an hour from the finale's end and they still hadn't bothered to adequately explain a damn thing.

First season was so awesome too, such potential.

If you do end up watching it just watch the first season and make up your own ending. It will make more sense then anything the show comes up with.

[quote name='sabin23']Evangeline Lilly (Kate) is quite a fetching lady.
She rarely wears makeup on the show but IMHO, is quite hot.[/QUOTE]

You can have Kate, I'll take Alex.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']You can have Alex, I'll take Claire.[/QUOTE]

You can have Claire, I'll take Charlotte.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']You can have Alex, I'll take Claire.[/QUOTE]

You can have Claire, I'll take Charlotte

and yes its worth your time.

If you do decide to watch it, bring some friends along for the ride with you, since you'll likely want to discuss the show with someone.

I haven't seen the last season yet but I enjoyed all the previous ones. The first season is amazing, if anything at least watch that. Having them all on Netflix instant watch was nice. There's never anything on TV when I'm at home so having this ready to go was extremely convenient.

I think it's either season 3 or 4 but it starts to drag a little bit. You can clearly tell the writers wrote themselves in a corner.

Yeah, the first season was the kind of perfection a TV series dreams off achieving. Masterful pacing, the only "mysteries" you were hit with added to the experience rather than frustrated you by them being piled on. I watched the whole S1 in two days, couldn't resist firing up the next episode. After that it was like "solve some mysteries, then present some more" that rinsed and repeated but was still an enjoyable mindfuck.

[quote name='javeryh']You can have Claire, I'll take Charlotte.[/QUOTE]

You can have Charlotte, I'll take
yunjinkim-maxim.jpg

[quote name='Rodimus']I haven't seen the last season yet but I enjoyed all the previous ones. The first season is amazing, if anything at least watch that. Having them all on Netflix instant watch was nice. There's never anything on TV when I'm at home so having this ready to go was extremely convenient.

I think it's either season 3 or 4 but it starts to drag a little bit. You can clearly tell the writers wrote themselves in a corner.[/QUOTE]

It's actually 5.

Watch The Wire instead. Lost is a beautiful looking show that has an incredibly overrated plot, and at least two seasons are complete wastes of time once said "plot" is unveiled.

[quote name='grrouchie']I don't get many opportunities to watch TV, and I have not had Cable in years so I have missed a ton of great shows because they never appear on my tube unless I borrow rent or buy a season.

Lost is one of those shows that I wanted to watch but just never seemed to buy any of the seasons for and now that it is over I have been thinking about picking up Season 1 (when I can find a good cheap price....) or starting a Netflix and renting the seasons.[/QUOTE]

Just Netflix it. As this seems to be a love it or hate it type of show.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']It's actually 5.[/QUOTE]

Was this the season where it kept
flash-backing back and forth from how they got off the island?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Yeah, the first season was the kind of perfection a TV series dreams off achieving. Masterful pacing, the only "mysteries" you were hit with added to the experience rather than frustrated you by them being piled on. I watched the whole S1 in two days, couldn't resist firing up the next episode. After that it was like "solve some mysteries, then present some more" that rinsed and repeated but was still an enjoyable mindfuck.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. Certain aspects of the first season reminded me of Hitchcock.

Too bad JJ Abrams has ADD.

[quote name='sendme']Just Netflix it. As this seems to be a love it or hate it type of show.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Plus how often do most people take the time to re-watch entire TV series--it's such a huge time investment. So I've sold off most of the few TV seasons I've had, other than things like Arrested Development or Scrubs where you don't have to watch the whole series etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Agreed. Plus how often do most people take the time to re-watch entire TV series--it's such a huge time investment. So I've sold off most of the few TV seasons I've had, other than things like Arrested Development or Scrubs where you don't have to watch the whole series etc.[/QUOTE]

Carnivale is the only season I've watched more then once. But the production values are on par with a movie.

It is one of the best investments you could possibly make with your time. Its just so incredible. Its harder now to watch it because there are less people to discuss it with, but still. If you enjoy dramas, you'll be right at home with this.

[quote name='Rodimus']Was this the season where it kept
flash-backing back and forth from how they got off the island?
[/QUOTE]

That was 4. 5 was
when instead of writing interesting stories or characters, they just kept yelling TIME TRAVEL into the camera, killing off anyone interesting, and generally making no sense at all.

bread's done
Back