Lost: Via Domus (360): $14.17 @ Amazon

good deal .... the game is worth it if your a fan of the show. .... the game really isnt as bad as most critics had said ....

I rented this and beat it (getting ALL achievements) in one sitting (about 7 and 1/2 hours). It's very linear and there's very little/no reason to play through it again. Coming from a diehard Lost fan, I don't see a reason to buy this aside from wanting an easy 1000 achievement points. Rent it for $5-7 at your local Blockbuster if you want those points!

This is set between seasons 1 and 2? I only watched season 1 and have seasons 2 and 3, but I've forgotten what exactly has happened thus far. Going through season 1 again is not an option.

I'm a huge fan of the series and this is by far the most half-assed disappointing blunder that could have been done with the Lost franchise. Not even worth this price, hell, not even worth a rental.

It's just a complete mess and just throws in random spouts of show significance and "in-jokes" surrounded around a completely stupid plot with nonsense usage of the characters. The game paces between the storyline of the show so horribly you'd think you were reading a fanfic that some 9 year old wrote. The only interesting part about the game was how they did the Black Smoke, aside from that, complete joke of fan service. What a joke of an ending, to boot.

You'll probably slap your forehead a few times at how forced a lot of the game is. Oh it has easy achievements, but that shouldn't make it worth 16 dollars. Less than 10, maybe.

If you really want a Lost game that is at least playable by comparison -- that cell phone game was pretty okay from what I remember playing the demo of, very SNES-like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked it up for $13 when it went on clearance at CC. It was nothing special game wise. If you are a fan of lost it would probably still be worth it if nothing else then for the achievements and the experience of being able to walk around a few locations in the game in more detail than seen in the show (such as the Hydra and the Flame).

The script is a bit forced as are the inside references, but not so much as to make it unplayable. Besides, seeing as I actually bought the lost sets on Blu Ray when they came out, for me this is just adding to my collection of things Lost related.

I had to fight all kinds of urge to not buy this on release date since I'm a huge Lost fan. I knew it would drop like crazy so I managed to wait three days and rent it. I beat it in one night and lets just say I'm not to best game playing. I think it was about 5 1/2 hours to beat it, maybe an extra 10 minutes to get the one achievement that didn't come naturally. Even at that I can't recommend this be bought at $16. For a filler to get to 25 on something cheap would be the only reason I would get this right now.

[quote name='Treythalomew']I had to fight all kinds of urge to not buy this on release date since I'm a huge Lost fan. [/QUOTE]

I wish I would have waited. Best Buy got my hard earned $60 the day of its release. I am embarassed.

LOL at people calling the plot in a game about Lost "forced and linear". Shouldn't that be a plus as it's staying true to the show?

Really though, I love the show and am very tempted to jump on this.

Huuuuge fan of the show (check the avy), but probably gonna pass on this. Maybe later when there's nothing else to play.

Oh, sooooooooooooooo tempting. God, someone help sway me one way or another. I LOVE Lost and I LOVE Gamerscore points so this seems a no brainer, but I've heard a lot of bad about it and am afraid it might be cheaper next month.... what to do?

[quote name='JJSP']LOL at people calling the plot in a game about Lost "forced and linear". Shouldn't that be a plus as it's staying true to the show?
[/QUOTE]

*drumfill*

HA!

i finally got my 5 dollar gift card from amazon for taking a survey for them..but i think ill wait til it hits 10

Ugh, bought this yesterday at CC ($16.96) after reading a lot of reports that basically said it's decent if you're a fan of the show, which I am.

Now that I've bought it... it seems like the reports are a lot more negative...

So basically... IF you're a fan of the show, and the 'mythology' of it... are there any new/big/interesting tidbits revealed? Or is this just a super lame attempt to cash in?

[quote name='Justin42']Ugh, bought this yesterday at CC ($16.96) after reading a lot of reports that basically said it's decent if you're a fan of the show, which I am.

So basically... IF you're a fan of the show, and the 'mythology' of it... are there any new/big/interesting tidbits revealed? Or is this just a super lame attempt to cash in?[/quote]

Absolutely no mythology or anything revealed. It's just a cash-in and none of the game counts towards the actual storyline itself of the series. Some backgrounds are cool, to see stuff hidden (like character props and stuff, Desmond's books, etc.) but when you know that none of it really counts, it's not really worth anything at all.

[quote name='Justin42']Ugh, bought this yesterday at CC ($16.96) after reading a lot of reports that basically said it's decent if you're a fan of the show, which I am.

So basically... IF you're a fan of the show, and the 'mythology' of it... are there any new/big/interesting tidbits revealed? Or is this just a super lame attempt to cash in?[/quote]

super lame attempt to cash in ftw

I got it at CC too and I paid too much. I really love the show a lot, but this game is bad. It's kinda neat at first, running around the island, seeing the cast, then it goes way south fast. It's a perfect storm of crap (voice acting, fuse puzzles, linear as hell, voice acting, bad graphics, unskipable cutscenes, unskipable cutscenes before a point in the game where you will die due to crappy controls, forcing you to watch the cutscene after every attempt) that makes it painful to play. And the ending...I'm still a little fuzzy on what that was about.

[quote name='scsg75']super lame attempt to cash in ftw

I got it at CC too and I paid too much. I really love the show a lot, but this game is bad. It's kinda neat at first, running around the island, seeing the cast, then it goes way south fast. It's a perfect storm of crap (voice acting, fuse puzzles, linear as hell, voice acting, bad graphics, unskipable cutscenes, unskipable cutscenes before a point in the game where you will die due to crappy controls, forcing you to watch the cutscene after every attempt) that makes it painful to play. And the ending...I'm still a little fuzzy on what that was about.[/QUOTE]

The ending was the only part actually written by the LOST writers from what I've heard anyways, which would make sense because it's really the only time in the game that you get the OH SNAP! feeling you get when you watch Lost.

The rest of the game is just a very half-assed story tossed sloppily into the Lost universe. Yes, you can walk around the island and see characters from the show, but everything else feels very disconnected from the context of the show itself (except the ending as I stated).

Like I said before, anyone that's thinking of buying this PLEASEEE rent it. I'm begging you. I've seen Lost seasons 1-4 , and I'm telling you RENT IT. You won't care enough about the story of the random main character in this game to go back and "watch" it again. Stop supporting Ubisoft's lame cash-ins. Even the engine of this game looks like it was copied-and-pasted straight from Assassin's Creed (minus all the "fun" parts of that game, of course).

[quote name='morphineseason']Like I said before, anyone that's thinking of buying this PLEASEEE rent it. I'm begging you. I've seen Lost seasons 1-4 , and I'm telling you RENT IT. You won't care enough about the story of the random main character in this game to go back and "watch" it again. Stop supporting Ubisoft's lame cash-ins. Even the engine of this game looks like it was copied-and-pasted straight from Assassin's Creed (minus all the "fun" parts of that game, of course).[/quote]

Via Domus is like those unauthorized novels of popular shows or movies that are shoved in the market to gain an extra dollar, totally unnecessary and in a way insulting to the biggest fans. I mean, a Lost video game could be one of the best adaptations out there, the possibilities are great.

But, I honestly found the ending dumb and predictable, I won't spoil it but it makes the game itself even more pointless after playing through it. Maybe the execution of it felt Lost-like, but eh, they could have found a way to cop out of the story a bit better than what they did.

I ragged on the game a lot in this thread, but I don't want anybody, especially CAGs, doing what I did and wasting cash on it.

[quote name='dg7md']Via Domus is like those unauthorized novels of popular shows or movies that are shoved in the market to gain an extra dollar, totally unnecessary and in a way insulting to the biggest fans. I mean, a Lost video game could be one of the best adaptations out there, the possibilities are great.

But, I honestly found the ending dumb and predictable, I won't spoil it but it makes the game itself even more pointless after playing through it. Maybe the execution of it felt Lost-like, but eh, they could have found a way to cop out of the story a bit better than what they did.

I ragged on the game a lot in this thread, but I don't want anybody, especially CAGs, doing what I did and wasting cash on it.[/QUOTE]
Well, one good thing about the ending is that it gives a clue as to what direction future Lost storylines are going in, which is good or bad, depending on if you liked the ending or not, which I didn't. In any case, this game is a definite rental-only since you can beat it in a day or less (the black smoke parts and the walking with dynamite were the only parts I had to retry, everything else was a cakewalk) and there is NO REPLAY VALUE whatsoever.

I love Lost, I even bought the novel Bad Twin, but this game is garbage. Rent it if you must, you can beat in 6 hours, but do not buy this game. Or you could save yourself the pain and watch the youtube videos of people playing through it to completion.

I played about halfway through but couldn't force myself to go on, so I youtubed the rest. I thought the story was good, but not worth suffering through the painful gameplay.

I know this is pretty deep into Lost things but you have to remember that the game isn't canon. I'm sure it'll fit into the overall story arc in the end but the writers said many times that the game wasn't canon and couldn't explain its story.

[quote name='Krams706']Huuuuge fan of the show (check the avy)....[/QUOTE]

Ben so scares me. :baby:

I'm not too shocked to see this game already dropping in price very fast. This game looks to have been rushed together which is an shame given the potential this franchise could have for some nice well done games.

Then again, this is coming from someone who paid full price for "24" on the PS2.

I picked up a copy on this deal. $15 is cheaper than what a lot of people said they'd wait to jump at. $60 is too much, this is a kickass deal and probably won't get much cheaper. Only problem is you need a filler item. I got that first Ratchet & Clank game for PSP. That's $15 too now.

[quote name='morphineseason']I rented this and beat it (getting ALL achievements) in one sitting (about 7 and 1/2 hours). It's very linear and there's very little/no reason to play through it again. Coming from a diehard Lost fan, I don't see a reason to buy this aside from wanting an easy 1000 achievement points. Rent it for $5-7 at your local Blockbuster if you want those points![/quote]

Seriously - I couldn't have said it any better myself. Pure renter.

[quote name='scsg75']unskipable cutscenes, unskipable cutscenes before a point in the game where you will die due to crappy controls, forcing you to watch the cutscene after every attempt)[/QUOTE]
Ok, I'm OFFICIALLY waiting til it's cheaper. Thanks man!

Rent it. I bought it @ EB used and returned it the next day after getting all the achievement points in ~6 hours. Pretty crap controls and stupid tasks (carrying dynamite while avoiding the smoke monster was pretty fucking frustrating).

[quote name='KyleN']price dropped by $1.75 to $14.17--time to submit the price drop refund requests :)[/quote]

Thanks for posting that! It's been awhile since I've gotten a refund.

[quote name='Smallville123']Its sad when shitty games sell because of easy achievements.[/QUOTE]
See: Avatar.

[quote name='JJSP']See: Avatar.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is, I rented Avatar AND Lost as part of the free Gamefly trial. That way nobody gets my hard earned money out of these terrible games, but I get all the achievement points :lol:

[quote name='slippage']Rent it. I bought it @ EB used and returned it the next day after getting all the achievement points in ~6 hours. Pretty crap controls and stupid tasks (carrying dynamite while avoiding the smoke monster was pretty fucking frustrating).[/quote]

Yeah, that took like an hour, the rest of the game was a breeze. I rented it and played through it with friends over for achievements (during a contest, so I got 1600 points out of it) and lulz after Lost Night.

Well, if you are buying it, NFL Tour is also on sale for $14.17 and The Club is $23.61 (both 53% off) if you were looking for another game to get you over the $25 mark.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Oh, sooooooooooooooo tempting. God, someone help sway me one way or another. I LOVE Lost and I LOVE Gamerscore points so this seems a no brainer, but I've heard a lot of bad about it and am afraid it might be cheaper next month.... what to do?[/quote]

Same here! I think I'm going to hold out for $10. Eventually I'll be able to get it for practically free used, so if I have to wait until then...well oh well. But man do I love Lost and want to just screw around with this game for a few hours.

[quote name='charlescheese']Same here! I think I'm going to hold out for $10. Eventually I'll be able to get it for practically free used, so if I have to wait until then...well oh well. But man do I love Lost and want to just screw around with this game for a few hours.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! The appeal of just being able to explore the island is really a big enough selling point to justify a 10 dollar purchase for me. Well, that and the easy 1000 lol

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Exactly! The appeal of just being able to explore the island is really a big enough selling point to justify a 10 dollar purchase for me. Well, that and the easy 1000 lol[/QUOTE]

The thing is, the island isn't like an exact replica of the one on television. Everything is just kind of thrown right next to eachother for the sake of making it convenient to walk from one checkpoint to the next. Forget about a free-roaming island too...you're going from point A to B whether you want to or not. Hell, half the game is literally running up to random flags, then using the "stare" button you'll look in the direction of the next flag, then you run to that flag, rinse and repeat. Even the smoke monster event is done in this manner. If you try to run in a different direction, the game actually stops you and asks if you want to retry.

Another laughable part of this game is that you're kind of instructed to collect random food and stuff around the island to trade for other things. So of course when you find out you can trade for a gun, you collect stuff to get one. Well, it turns out you use the gun literally 2-3 times through the whole game, and one of those times isn't even mandatory, it just makes the part easier. Plus each time, you shoot maybe one or two bullets to get the job done, yet the gun holds far more than one or two bullets. Why did they even bother to make this a mechanic to the game when it is so pointless?

Morphineseason nailed it completely. If you play this to hope to explore the island... I recommend getting Uncharted instead. Maybe go walk around a local forest, too.

bread's done
Back