Lots of Laptop Help

Tennisjon2002

CAGiversary!
My dad has an old Thinkpad that he is planing on ditching finally. It is like 5 or 6 years old I think, but it has worked flawlessly. The main problems are it has no USB!!?? not even 1.0, this really confuses me, usb 1.0 was out then right? were laptops just not equiped with them? It also doesn't have an ethernet port. So it has Windows 98 and 128 ram and I can't really tell the processor speed is it is a pentium 3 and under system properties it just says x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1. Anyone know how fast that is? I am looking for a new laptop for him, in about the $1000 range max. I am thinking maybe avaratec? I need something that is a good value but that will last. Any ideas? Maybe emachines, but I am not sure if it would last. Thanks

x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 is a PIII 600MHz. But it certainly is odd that it doesn't have any USB port or ethernet port. For $1000, you can't really go wrong w/ Dell laptops. If you're in time to catch some deals (go to www.slickdeals.net to follow closely on Dell coupons), you can easily get a Dell Inspiron 700m or 6000 for under $1000 well equiped. My sister bought a Inspiron 6000 for $928 shipped w/ a P4 1.6, 256MB DDR2, 60GB HD, 15" Ultra Sharp XGA, ATI Radeon X300, DVD-ROM/CDRW, and everything else that a laptop needs to have. Look for those $600 off to $750 off coupons that come up once every week or 2. Don't settle for Avaratec or eMachine, Dell gives you pretty good warranty and their laptops are solid builds.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 is a PIII 600MHz. But it certainly is odd that it doesn't have any USB port or ethernet port. For $1000, you can't really go wrong w/ Dell laptops. If you're in time to catch some deals (go to www.slickdeals.net to follow closely on Dell coupons), you can easily get a Dell Inspiron 700m or 6000 for under $1000 well equiped. My sister bought a Inspiron 6000 for $928 shipped w/ a P4 1.6, 256MB DDR2, 60GB HD, 15" Ultra Sharp XGA, ATI Radeon X300, DVD-ROM/CDRW, and everything else that a laptop needs to have. Look for those $600 off to $750 off coupons that come up once every week or 2. Don't settle for Avaratec or eMachine, Dell gives you pretty good warranty and their laptops are solid builds.[/QUOTE]
Yea I was def. gonna look into a dell, but when I looked into a dell desktop I thought they were way over priced but I will check out the laptops. Mean while I have looked at my dads laptop further to discover he does have a USB port, probably 1.0, it was under one of those cover things and he didn't realize it lol. He also has a Ethernet card but is missing the dongle thing for it so I orderd one off ebay already. I think I am going to just reformat this laptop with XP and maybe keep it for another year, I will see how it runs with XP. As you can probably tell me dad isn't the most computer savy person ever and isn't really in need of a great laptop.

If it's only got 128MB of RAM, good luck getting XP to not chug along. An older laptop of mine has 256MB and it's pretty sluggish.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']If it's only got 128MB of RAM, good luck getting XP to not chug along. An older laptop of mine has 256MB and it's pretty sluggish.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah? My laptop runs Win 3.11 with a 128 meg RAM card just fine. You chumps are in the stone age.

bread's done
Back