loud grinding fan noise?

y2jasper

CAGiversary!
so a few weeks ago, i got my 360 back from the repair center after it finally red ringed on me. it worked well for a few days, but after that i got a new problem. whenever i turn my 360 on, the fan gets extremely loud and it sounds like it's grinding against something inside the case. it goes away after about a minute, but i already got red ringed once and after checking the error number it was for the fan drawing too much power.

the biggest problem is that i plan to trade it in at gamestop when my slim preorder arrives (had i got my 360 back just 4 days sooner i could have traded it in on the first day my store got them in since they had just got them in). i know how people like to joke about how loud the old 360s can be, so i'm wondering if maybe this is a common problem? and if not, do you think gamestop will take it without a problem?

i hate the "do you think gamestop..." type questions. you already know that it depends on who's working. hell, the guy might be lazy and not even check it.

[quote name='Scorch']i hate the "do you think gamestop..." type questions. you already know that it depends on who's working. hell, the guy might be lazy and not even check it.[/QUOTE]

that's true, i really was more curious about the first question, whether it's a common problem since i know everyone says the xbox starts up like a jet engine and things like that.

I got that when they returned an Elite to me. It didn't start out that way, though, it started after I had the thing for like a month. It's worked fine since and it's been a year, but it's annoying as hell. Not sure if it's worth griping about at this point since it's been this long. If I push towards the back of the unit it mostly goes away, so I wonder if it's just something loose inside. At this point, I guess I have to live with it.

If you just got your Xbox360 back, then your warranty should be extended then. Thus, if you don't want to take the risk, you can return it back and just wait another like 3 weeks.

As for your current situation, yeah it really ultimately depends on who is working. As long as it doesn't red-ring when you turn the system on it should be fine. If the person notices that the fan is extremely loud, etc... the worst that they will most likely do is charge you a fee for it being somewhat "broken", thus you lose like $30. However, if they do notice, it is easy to take your system and tell them that you'll just get it fixed, etc.. and walk out. No harm done. You might look like a jackass if they notice but whatever.

[quote name='Redeema']I got that when they returned an Elite to me. It didn't start out that way, though, it started after I had the thing for like a month. It's worked fine since and it's been a year, but it's annoying as hell. Not sure if it's worth griping about at this point since it's been this long. If I push towards the back of the unit it mostly goes away, so I wonder if it's just something loose inside. At this point, I guess I have to live with it.[/QUOTE]

yeah i noticed the same thing about pressing the back since when it first started happening i was impatient and started experimenting. but now i usually just let it run for a minute or two and let it fix itself.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']If you just got your Xbox360 back, then your warranty should be extended then. Thus, if you don't want to take the risk, you can return it back and just wait another like 3 weeks.

As for your current situation, yeah it really ultimately depends on who is working. As long as it doesn't red-ring when you turn the system on it should be fine. If the person notices that the fan is extremely loud, etc... the worst that they will most likely do is charge you a fee for it being somewhat "broken", thus you lose like $30. However, if they do notice, it is easy to take your system and tell them that you'll just get it fixed, etc.. and walk out. No harm done. You might look like a jackass if they notice but whatever.[/QUOTE]

if i wasn't planning to trade it in so soon i would have sent it back to microsoft, but i guess i'm just going to have to try my luck trading it in. i noticed if i turn it off after its been on for a few hours and turn it on soon after its much less noticeable. so that's what i plan to do.

I had this problem on my first 360. Its the inside fans hitting the case. Thats why when you push on the back or have it set up a certain way (Usually vertical) it goes away. If you have your system horizontal and it does this (Most likely) Try putting it vertical. Ive always had my systems vertical and never one scratched game or disc so dont worry about it somehow exploding if you do this.

Really shows how shitty there design has been.

My latest RROD console was doing this about two weeks before it finally ringed. The one I got back was doing it also so I packed it up and sent it right back. I the third one was ok.

well to anyone wondering, i traded in my 360 today (and got my 360S!) and unfortunately as soon as the associate turned it on the fan came on with full force (and to metalic, he actually put it vertically doing this). he didn't even put in a game or anything after that and said he'd have to put a refurbish fee on it. so in the end i only got $70 instead of $100, but atleast it's out of my hands now.

bread's done
Back