Low Quality 360 Controllers... whats the deal?

xsuicidesn0wmanx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Ok, I love my 360, and I play the shit out of it, but how am I supposed to be competetive online when I keep buying broken controllers new in the box? I just opened my 4th new 360 controller in the past 2 months, and i had to return the first 2 and gave up on the 3rd cause its issues were minor.

On my first 2 360 controllers the left thumbstick was not centered, it always creeped to the right, which ruined my laptimes on forza 2, the 3rd controller i had to often restart my machine to get my headset to work(died several times during gow2 and WaW) now i get my 4th controller since nov 1st, and the right thumbstick is creeping left. If i dont touch the controller at all, my character will slowly do a 360 in place(takes about 20-30 seconds to do a full rotation.

seriously, what is the deal here? anyone else have this problem?

I also have 3 other 360 controllers in a box i cant use because the Right or Left triggers fire on their own, overall ive had 9 or 10 controllers and Ive only broken 1 or 2 good ones on my own

Never had a problem with any 360 controller (and I own 4.) Are you buying them from the same store? If you are, maybe they got a bad batch of them?

if you are looking to sell them let me know, i'm in the market for faulty controllers. I plan on putting modded cases on them.

I've only got one left in good condition, i tried(and failed) to repair one with 2 of the others. One had a faulty Right Trigger, other a faulty left, so i tried to take the good one and solder it to the other controller, but im not so good at that, my hands arent steady enough to not solder all 3 pins together lol

I also found out that, at least in my case, since i used the controller for so much racing on forza2, if you put alot of stress on the triggers, the 3rd pin on the trigger comes loose. I guess how it works is the triggers causes the arm to turn something inside a lil box in there, but if you're a bit rough on the triggers like me, it makes that box wiggle, which causes the seal on the 3rd pin to loosen and eventually break off.

Those cases I accepted that I was at fault cause of high usage and rough wear & tear, but these last 4 were just random problems with brand new controllers, thats why i ask if anyone else has had issues with their thumbsticks creeping.

Honestly, sounds like you just have awful luck or are doing something wrong. I have 6 controllers (4 for my system, then 2 with receivers for various PCs), and I've had zero problems with any of them.

Both my controllers will be 3 years old in a few days and they work fine.

My third one is upsatirs and also has no problems. Sounds like you have bad luck with controllers.

[quote name='xsuicidesn0wmanx']I've only got one left in good condition, i tried(and failed) to repair one with 2 of the others. One had a faulty Right Trigger, other a faulty left, so i tried to take the good one and solder it to the other controller, but im not so good at that, my hands arent steady enough to not solder all 3 pins together lol

I also found out that, at least in my case, since i used the controller for so much racing on forza2, if you put alot of stress on the triggers, the 3rd pin on the trigger comes loose. I guess how it works is the triggers causes the arm to turn something inside a lil box in there, but if you're a bit rough on the triggers like me, it makes that box wiggle, which causes the seal on the 3rd pin to loosen and eventually break off.

Those cases I accepted that I was at fault cause of high usage and rough wear & tear, but these last 4 were just random problems with brand new controllers, thats why i ask if anyone else has had issues with their thumbsticks creeping.[/quote]

Thumbstick creeping can be fixed though by readjusting the sticks....or you could get rid of them and add these:
thumbsticks%20069.jpg

Just $3.99 at Llama.com

I have the problem where the left stick is not centered. Usually the left sticks on my controllers go to the left a little bit when I'm not touching it, unless I nudge it to the right a little. Most games have a big enough dead zone that it's not really a problem. The only games where it was noticeable was Bioshock and Castle Crashers. In Bioshock sometimes I'd start turning slowly to the left while idle. And in CC start walking slowly to the left.

[quote name='xsuicidesn0wmanx']the first 3 were bought at a Target store, but from 2 dif stores. the last one was at a gamestop. first 3 were white, last one was black.[/quote]

Is there a way to check a batch number or something? If you're buying them from stores in the same area, every place might be selling the bad controllers.

I've tried to pop them as that used to seem to work before(pull up a little and push back on) but its not having any effect. It happens the most with cod5, but is not the auto aim as the enemy would have to be running in circles around me. Forza 2 has also been a game to show the issue as well, as it causes my car to weave when the problem is in the left stick.

As for buying those $4 thumb stick replacements, that would cause me to void my warrenty on a brand new $50 controller, if i still had the old ones i'd try that but those went back to the store.

I only have one controller left i can possibly fix, and it needs a new Right Trigger, if you have any tips on how to repair those i'd really love it. The problem with that one is you can push on the side of the trigger to set it off, and sometimes it goes off on its own. turn on forza, set the controller down after starting a race, and the car drives itself

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='typeRJ']Is there a way to check a batch number or something? If you're buying them from stores in the same area, every place might be selling the bad controllers.[/quote]

I returned the other 3 to the store, nothing i can check, but the most recent controller was a black one, not white, i would have thought that one might have been different.

Mine has a very slight forward creep but it was fine when I got it. I think pressing the stick then jamming it forward is kinda hard on it (COD sprint). Now when I play COD and try to aim from prone it always pulls me out of aiming cause it thinks I am trying to move.

[offtopic] devin hester yay, got my #23 jersey on xmas day [/offtopic]

yeah, my problem is this is a brand new controller, i opened it yesterday, used it on cod5(mission 7 on veteran, no fun) and within 5 mins i couldnt aim. The problem existed from the moment i took it out of the plastic, and now im off to the gamestop yet again, so i can return it and get another.

[quote name='dropbearGSH']Mine has a very slight forward creep but it was fine when I got it. I think pressing the stick then jamming it forward is kinda hard on it (COD sprint). Now when I play COD and try to aim from prone it always pulls me out of aiming cause it thinks I am trying to move.[/quote]

trigger replacing....now if it is internal I don't know what to tell ya.

wireless9.jpg

Also...voiding a warranty for a 360 is one thing, for a controller...well if you have a security torx 8 you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

My problem is with the lil grey box in the lower right corner of those 4 pics. from left to right there are 3 equidistant pins coming out of it through the other side of the controller, the one farthest right on them snaps off because the grey box wiggles everytime you pull on the trigger

I tried to melt the solder down, pull the old defective one out, and insert a new trigger off another controller, but i couldnt do the soldering job cause i kept soldering all 3 pins together

[quote name='Wolve11']trigger replacing....now if it is internal I don't know what to tell ya.

wireless9.jpg

Also...voiding a warranty for a 360 is one thing, for a controller...well if you have a security torx 8 you shouldn't have anything to worry about.[/quote]

The only problem I've had with the controllers is the Guide button sticking on the Black Controller, but that's due to user fault.

I've seen no problems with the two controllers I have. :p

Only thing wrong with mine is that the battery cover is loose, i had to tape it to make sure it didn't loose contact. It kept losing contact and causing the "reconnect controller" message to pop up.

[quote name='bs000']I have the problem where the left stick is not centered. Usually the left sticks on my controllers go to the left a little bit when I'm not touching it, unless I nudge it to the right a little. Most games have a big enough dead zone that it's not really a problem. The only games where it was noticeable was Bioshock and Castle Crashers. In Bioshock sometimes I'd start turning slowly to the left while idle. And in CC start walking slowly to the left.[/quote]

Exact same problem in Castle Crashers, but I haven't noticed it in other games. New system (1 mo old) and don't play a ton, so it may happen in other games too, but CC is the only one I've noticed it in.

My black controller had a similar problem and my white one was all sticky. so I ended up using my T8H torx bit (Which is now missing) to replace the guts of the black one with the guts of the white one.

I've got 3 controllers.

On controller one of the controllers the right trigger squeaks like crazy.

On controller two the right analog stick tracks from right to left on its own.

On controller three the right analog stick squeaks with even the slightest movement.

Maybe I can swap all the bad parts to have two good controllers and one shitty squeaky one.

I had a left trigger always stuck at pressed status. Every battery pack I bought isn't worth shit in a month or two, barely holds a charge and gets hot as fuck.

[quote name='Kevlar281']My left trigger squeaks. That's about it.[/quote]

My Halo Spartan controler also squeaks, but on the right trigger. From already exchanging one already before and reading online, the majority of Halo Controllers have the squeaking problem.

My first 360 controller was a little faulty. The smallest force of motion or tap can turn my controller off. It's annoying as hell, especially playing competitive games where your bound to shake your controller in some way. I just I traded it in with the system to gamestop and got a new one. The new controller is a little weird too; the batteries barely fit in the battery holder, I had give some force to putting them in. So yeah I haven't ha the best luck with them either.

my dad's black controller is having syncing problems. i got him a charge and play kit and the wireless adapter and now it won't sync consistently. We have to first turn on one controller and then the black controller will be recognized by the 360 most of the time. Has anyone had Microsoft replace a controller for them?

Well I got it exchanged last nite at the gamestop closer to home this time, so far everything seems perfect, thumbsticks dont creep, headset works, triggers dont squeek or go off on their own :D

The only thing I can say, is maybe it's the user's fault? I don't know if it is or not, but I haven't had any troubles with my controllers. I don't think I've ever had troubles with controllers, that wasn't due to user fault.

My controller has always had a minor right thumbstick sqeak. My brother has had the same problem as you, his left thumbstick isnt centered either and it messes him up when he plays too. He finally decided to get another one pretty recently.

I have used 8-10 controllers and have never seen a faulty one.
IMO the Xbox 360 controller is the closest to perfect any controller has ever been (if only the D pad was better they would be perfect)

I've got a couple of controllers with bad shoulder buttons. They don't take clicks some times and that's especially annoying in a game like Mirror's Edge. One of my controllers also has a creaky right trigger but the button seems to work fine.

I haven't had any problems with my 2 controllers. I'll admit that my first controller did the whole creep to the right thing if left alone, but that was AFTER 2 years of use. I'm pretty sure that was happening because of all the use.

I have never had a problem with any 360 controller I owned.

The one I primarily use has taken numerous beatings i.e. falling on wooden floor, sat on, etc. and it still works like new.

semi off-topic, but it is sure a good thing Microsoft has done a great job (for the most part) on the controllers considering how proprietary they are (wireless anyway). If they rushed those as much as they rushed the POS RROD console, they might have really shot themselves in the foot.

Ive never had a problem with any of my controllers. And about the thumbsticks not being completely centered, that's being way too picky. Unless your addressing a much more major problem.

Only time I've experienced an issue with the thumb sticks not being centered is when I accidentally had them pushed in a direction when I turned the system on.

I've used several controllers since launch and only had trouble with one of those. The L3 or R3 button stopped working after being dropped one to many times lol. I called M$ and since my system was under warranty they replaced it with a new one and I only had to pay for postage to them.

I pretty much play with the same controller every day and keep a spare in the drawer for anyone else. I'll play with one forever and finally just sell it on Ebay and move the spare up in the rotation. Then buy a new one when I catch a good deal one one. Like now i've got 1 pretty used one with the stick starting to play a bit but nothing bad, a 3 month old or so and my minty fresh unopened one from the arcade bundle I grabbed last month.

Those cheapass mics though that's a different story! I used to go through those like candy.

I have 5 controllers (4 wireless, 1 wired) and I've had the creeping left thumbstick with all but the newest wireless. Usually it's not much of an issue, a quick flick and it stops but as previously mentioned in some games it becomes a problem. I've been wondering myself if it's a flaw or somehow the way I use them.

I have to complain about the D Pad to, in Gears of War 2 it's really annoying to have an enemy come near you, and you have your Lancer equipped and you want to use shotgun. >.<

If they actually made a quality D Pad, then it'd be perfect, but that's really all I can complain about the controller.

The mics are pretty crappy though, I mean the sound quality sucks, and even a tiny bit of loudness will end up being gargled and muffled.

I wish everyone luck with their controllers. Speaking of controllers, has anyone gotten that awesome looking Black and White controller from Walmart?

[quote name='Littlefields']Ive never had a problem with any of my controllers. And about the thumbsticks not being completely centered, that's being way too picky. Unless your addressing a much more major problem.[/quote]

anything that costs me $50 and doesnt work out of the box as advertised is not being way too picky. dont know if you really play games that much but its no fun trying to shoot a stationary target when your controller wont stay still, and dont mention when the target starts to move.

second, its also not very fun driving a car in a racing game when your car weaves to the left... tell ya what, lets take your car, and change the alignment on just the driverside front wheel, see if you complain after driving it around the block too much, then i'll tell you you're being way too picky :)

Bought a black wireless full kit (play and charge kit with controller) right out of the box, the controller wont charge the battery, but everything works fine on my original 360 controller. lame, gonna return it in the morning.

bread's done
Back