Mac Anti Virus Help

Nothing. As long as you exercise good judgment online (not opening unfamiliar e-mails, not downloading flash games, etc), you'll have nothing to worry about.

It's a mac , you safe without that stuff. Anti-virus programs are only for windows. Rarely is there a virus or anything "bad/harmful" for computers that are written for a mac.

BUT If you really want an av program. Check out clam av, its available for mac and linux. You are not going to need it though. It's a mac, welcome to a native secure and virus free zone. Enjoy your stay :D

One of these days, i'll be able to afford to get myself a mac.

AFAIK, the only mac virus/malware problems have been through sketchy torrents/downloads - I remember reading about a nasty virus going around with an iLife 09 torrent a while ago.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']AFAIK, the only mac virus/malware problems have been through sketchy torrents/downloads - I remember reading about a nasty virus going around with an iLife 09 torrent a while ago.[/QUOTE]

With the advent of BitTorrent and the Apple Intel switch, the number of virii for OS X has gone from zero to virtually zero.

Impressive.

That's because no one would bother making a virus for the mac. That is one thing I hate about mac people. They always think they are so high and mighty because they don't have to worry about viruses. But if everyone used a mac, they would be in the same boat as pc's are now.
You have to be pretty dim witted to get a virus these days.

[quote name='squishface']
BUT If you really want an av program. Check out clam av, its available for mac and linux. You are not going to need it though. It's a mac, welcome to a native secure and virus free zone. Enjoy your stay :D
[/QUOTE]

+1

I run ClamXav. It has some automatic schedule just like avg. so I really dont actively scan but once every 3months i will do it manually just to make sure it looked for all 20k known viruses or whatever number it is now.

As stated before, good judgment will keep you safe.
Other notes about macs, since they use HFS+ partition the disk doesn't become fragmented like a windows NTFS/FAT drive. So you dont need one of those.
OnyX is a very good "clean up" software. fixes a lot of crap through maintenance scripts. I never had an issue with my macbook where it would run slow. I guess if it does. Run Onyx. I run it probably once every 3months. Again... I am used to running 3 malware scans on my parents computer ever month. Gotta feel somewhat proactive cleaning the mac.

lifehacker had a good article about mac "clean up and revive" for future reference. http://lifehacker.com/5252183/clean-up-and-revive-your-bloated-sluggish-mac

Offtopic : mac os x has a BSD backend. Its pretty safe. just like BSD is safe. Doesn't mean its unbreakable. Thats why linux and mac have updates. Its true macs aren't targeted against attacks because they aren't "mainstream" enough. No matter how secure you think you OS is there is a way to break it. those pentesters for the dod n shit are wicked smart. They dont have a problem breaking into their unix servers. Just be happy most of them are on your side and dont care about making ure pc a zombie. Keeping your pc updated keeps you safe from the kiddies with metaspoilt and some php skills.
malware is a whole another beast. if you are into coding and care about malware (http://www.offensivecomputing.net/)

Enjoy the new computer !

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back