Mac, PC (bundled), or build a pc?

Maklershed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
Hello PC savvy folks of CAG. So I've recently decided my PC has reached it's prime. It's now a solid six years old and I feel it's time to move on to greener pastures. I'm looking to you princes of processors for guidance on what I should get next. I was thinking I'd either get a mac, a bundled pc, or try to build a pc from the ground up. Here are my thoughts on each option:

Mac - expensive but gets me away from dealing with Windows and driver this and not compliant that and virus scanners and blah blah blah

PC bundle - probably my cheapest option if I watch slickdeals enough and its simple

Build a PC - could be a fun hobby looking for the parts I want at the price I want to purchase at and then assembling. Could also be a pain in the ass of epic proportions as I'm not very pc savvy.

So what do you guys think?

Also, it may help you to know that this computer will be used for internet, watching videos, burning dvds, media center for my 360/ps3, and gaming (but nothing too hardcore like Crisis on full power).

EDIT: I'd like to keep the ceiling on my purchase(s) to $1,000 if possible.

Build your own PC, mak. I know you're old and technology scurs you, but it's not that hard.

It'd also probably be cheaper than a bundle, and there are plenty of helpful CAGs here to walk you through things.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Build your own PC, mak. I know you're old and technology scurs you, but it's not that hard.
[/quote]

:boxing: :lol:

[quote name='JolietJake']If you buy a MAC i will personally come and cut off your balls.[/quote]

But I need those!

Personally I love Macs, but it really sounds like you don't need one. The gaming isn't as good on Macs (or so I've heard.) And you aren't really doing anything that would take advantage of the OS aside from a couple of conveniences with drivers and of course the viruses.

If you have the cash to spare buy an iMac, they're awesome. If not, build your own PC. It might be complicated but it's probably fairly rewarding.

If you have any intention of gaming, then it's a PC. And you're gonna build it.

I'm honestly not even sure what the advantage of the Mac is, other than simplicity... and arrogance.

If you know what your doing and know where to get the parts for a good price, I say build it yourself. That way you know exactly what is on your machine instead of the useless CRAP they toss in these days(do they still toss in MS Works?). If feels good to put something together and to see it turn on for the first time with the POST beep successfully indicating everything's a go!

Depends. If your budget is $1000 or under, I'd buy a PC. Necessary components like the OS, case, power supply, and monitor take a huge chunk out of your budget while company's like Dell have the advantage in giving you all that at low cost with their budget systems.

If you are on a $1500+ budget, then I recommend building.

I'd recommend building your own PC. There are some stores though where you can pick out all the parts you want and have them put it together for you and have you pick it up the next morning.

I have been PC gaming for years. I just bought a Macbook for purely business reasons...to work on.

I like the Mac, but it is not for gaming. I would suggest going to a website that builds PC's for your so you can still get Windows XP.

[quote name='soccerstud652']I have been PC gaming for years. I just bought a Macbook for purely business reasons...to work on.

I like the Mac, but it is not for gaming. I would suggest going to a website that builds PC's for your so you can still get Windows XP.[/quote]

NOOO why would you waste the money having somebody else put it together? Look up each component in one of those builds, price it individually, and see where the better deal lies. Most of those builders don't get computer parts much cheaper than you or I could get them and you can put one together yourself for much cheaper.

On a separate note, I run XP but for a new build, Vista is the clear choice. There is resistance to every platform until the kinks get ironed out, and you are going to start seeing programs that will not run on XP in the future. It's a stable platform....it's not worth upgrading if you already have XP in my opinion, but go Vista for a new build.

[quote name='woejipums']NOOO why would you waste the money having somebody else put it together? Look up each component in one of those builds, price it individually, and see where the better deal lies. Most of those builders don't get computer parts much cheaper than you or I could get them and you can put one together yourself for much cheaper.

On a separate note, I run XP but for a new build, Vista is the clear choice. There is resistance to every platform until the kinks get ironed out, and you are going to start seeing programs that will not run on XP in the future. It's a stable platform....it's not worth upgrading if you already have XP in my opinion, but go Vista for a new build.[/quote]

Well said

Thanks for the responses so far guys. I forgot to add to the OP earlier that I'd like to keep my ceiling to $1,000 if at all possible, but that's not written in stone.

[quote name='karmapolice']You do know that you can run windows on a mac and play any game that you could on a pc?[/QUOTE]

While you can get the Mac to run PC games, the options of upgrading the video are extremely limited on the Mac. I could be wrong on this now, but that is the way it has been in the past.

I'm in the same dilema but more for business/online use. I don't remember when I built the computer I'm using now it's been so long. I have been leaning more towards a mac as I want better stability. If I have the rare program that's Windows only I could just dualboot to PC/Vista. I don't play games on the PC, that's why I have consoles.

I know I can save money and build my own, but then I have the usual PC stability issues. Yes, I'm sure if I took the time I could make it more stable but I don't have time and I don't know the new tech like I used to when I was younger/working at a computer store.

When I wanted to upgrade by CPU/motherboard I found out I needed to replace the hard drive since it's IDE and I guess now everything is SATA. Didn't know about that, what else don't I know?

[quote name='Maklershed']Thanks for the responses so far guys. I forgot to add to the OP earlier that I'd like to keep my ceiling to $1,000 if at all possible, but that's not written in stone.[/quote]

The only Mac less than a grand is the Mini, check it out at www.apple.com and see if that works for you. If not then that's one less choice unless you get an older used mac.

Edit: Actually, if you could lease it somehow or pay in installments that's another option.

OP I would just build a PC. You can build a very nice PC for $1000 if you look around for deals a little bit. I've started collecting parts for a new pc (so far just have a case and power supply) and I will probably end up spending only $800-$900 for an Intel Q6600, Nvidia 8800gt, 2 GB of fast ram, a 750GB hard drive, and after market cooling for my processor and video card. For $1000 you can build a PC a little better than that one that could run pretty much any game other than Crisis at very high settings (which from what I've heard is pretty much impossible at this point).

Heres a sample build for you-
Cardboard Box: 0$
Potatoes: .69 $ per pound
Power Regulator: 35$
386 Mobo: 5$
HP Memory Board: 50$
BIOS on a chip: Whatever the price of your time is.

PC for cheap! It won't be able to run anything non-text based and you can't access the internet with it.

[quote name='karmapolice']You do know that you can run windows on a mac and play any game that you could on a pc?[/quote]

And run games on hardware that suckzors ... no thanks.

I agree with the build your own. It's easy, fun, you know what's going in it, etc etc

If you build, get a silent hard drive. I didn't pay much attention to my HD when ordering parts for this computer and now sorely regret it. Just now, while streaming a trailer off Apple.com, you could hear the hard drive loudly the whole time. So damn annoying.

I'm probably going to buy a new hard drive and sell this one. I never thought hard drive, other than size/speed, would be a big deal. I think this one's Seagate.

For $850 - $1000, you can build an awesome gaming rig.

I recommend a Macs only if you absolutely love Apple software. I own an iBook G4 and pretty much hate it. While it gets the job done, and looks damn sharp doing it, for the same price I could've bought 2 old Dells or IBMs and installed Linux if I was intent on avoiding Windows -- and still had better hardware performance!

While it's possible to duel boot Windows on a Mac, the lower-end models won't run modern games very well.

Why would you need to be spending anywhere near $1000 for a PC that's not doing too much gaming?

Whatever you decide to spend it'll probably be cheaper to build your own and it'll definitely be cheaper to upgrade it.

I'd get a Mac for everything, but hardcore gaming. I switched a few years ago and find it much nicer than Windows.

On the other hand I like the lack of spyware and viruses and if too many switch to Macs then they might lose that advantage.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Heres a sample build for you-
Cardboard Box: 0$
Potatoes: .69 $ per pound
Power Regulator: 35$
386 Mobo: 5$
HP Memory Board: 50$
BIOS on a chip: Whatever the price of your time is.

PC for cheap! It won't be able to run anything non-text based and you can't access the internet with it.[/QUOTE]
That sounds a lot like the Kentucky Friend Chicken Laptops they were selling as kids meals a while back. Lol.

But OP, have you considered Linux for the OS? Wouldn't hurt trying a free distro. Main complaints would probably not being able to run windows only progs, thereby forcing you to emulate windows. But otherwise, Linux is a good free/cheap alternative for an OS. Especially since you're future comp is non-gaming.

All in all, I'd just go for a complete bundle. Having to go through the task of building a comp from scratch seems like a tall feat, especially considering you'll have to bargain hunt extensively. Since I built a "gaming" PC (a crappy one at that), my last comp purchase was just a basic Dell Desktop. Get's the job done, and since I don't need any gaming power, I'm fine.

These days, it seems like you can save a lot more on pre-built comps. Like some previous posters said.

[quote name='Koggit']If you build, get a silent hard drive. I didn't pay much attention to my HD when ordering parts for this computer and now sorely regret it. Just now, while streaming a trailer off Apple.com, you could hear the hard drive loudly the whole time. So damn annoying.

I'm probably going to buy a new hard drive and sell this one. I never thought hard drive, other than size/speed, would be a big deal. I think this one's Seagate.[/quote]

I actually think your hard drive is dying or has some problems. I've dealt with a good 100+ computers and the only few that had noisey hard drives are ones that have died a month or so later ... Just a heads up. Especially since seagate, though I'm a western digital fan but no matter, is a good brand

If gaming isn't your top priority I'd go for an iMac, despite being a long time PC user - the years of enjoyment you'll get out of using Mac OS X and the near-silent hardware far outweigh the better framerate you'll be getting in games on a custom build PC.

I went for both and to be honest the PC doesn't get a lot of use (I've been playing Crysis lately and that's about it). I'm finding that a lot of the games I like to play are available on consoles too, and ultimately I prefer playing them on a big screen.

[quote name='strikeratt']And run games on hardware that suckzors ... no thanks.

I agree with the build your own. It's easy, fun, you know what's going in it, etc etc[/QUOTE]

top of the line? but hardly suxors. No. My iMac plays plays most PC games just fine in boot camp. I have one of the new ones (that Cheapy mentioned in the last show). However you won't find a Mac that can play games for under $1000. I really like having the 2 "systems" in one machine. A machine that has a nice clean footprint on the desktop.

One a side note, I've built my 3 previous PCs and you know, it is really not that fun a hobby. You are constantly chasing parts/ chasing upgrades and chasing viruses. I have better things to do with my time now. But to each their own.

[quote name='n25philly']If you have a shred of common sense you don't have to chase viruses[/QUOTE]

Thats what I was thinking when I read that! We have three PCs, two of them online nearly 24/7 and I can't remember the last time I had to dedicate any time to viruses.

[quote name='usickenme'] However you won't find a Mac that can play games for under $1000.[/QUOTE]
I assume that is what he was referring to since that's how much money the OP wants to spend. Of course high end macs can play games well; they will just cost three times as much as if you built your own PC.
Also building PCs might not be incredibly fun, but you definitely don't have to keep upgrading. I built my last PC 4 years ago and since then I've upgraded the video card once. And I also agree with the two posters above me; I've been virus free for several years with free virus protection (which has caught maybe 2 malicious files that probably wouldn't have done anything anyways).

While it's true that Windows is riddled with security flaws and sloppy coding, the "only macs or linux can save you from the evil viruses!" line is overdone. Use a secure browser (Firefox) and some free AV and some common sense and you'll be virus free for years. For bonus points, install the no-script addon in firefox and prompt Spybot to alert you whenever a program attempts to modify the registry.

Mac just does a better job of protecting clueless users from themselves.

[quote name='bmsdaddy']Thats what I was thinking when I read that! We have three PCs, two of them online nearly 24/7 and I can't remember the last time I had to dedicate any time to viruses.[/QUOTE]

sure buddy, I believe you are the one windows user who has never had a problem.

Your anecdote aside, every windows user at some point has had to chase a virus. Facts are facts. I haven't been hit with malware or spyware for years myself but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Especially if you have kids or less tech savvy people using your system.

[quote name='usickenme']top of the line? but hardly suxors. No. My iMac plays plays most PC games just fine in boot camp. I have one of the new ones (that Cheapy mentioned in the last show). However you won't find a Mac that can play games for under $1000. I really like having the 2 "systems" in one machine. A machine that has a nice clean footprint on the desktop.

One a side note, I've built my 3 previous PCs and you know, it is really not that fun a hobby. You are constantly chasing parts/ chasing upgrades and chasing viruses. I have better things to do with my time now. But to each their own.[/quote]

[quote name='usickenme']sure buddy, I believe you are the one windows user who has never had a problem.

Your anecdote aside, every windows user at some point has had to chase a virus. Facts are facts. I haven't been hit with malware or spyware for years myself but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Especially if you have kids or less tech savvy people using your system.[/quote]

Lol I don't know what your talking about ...

I'm a heavy PC user, this machine literally runs all the time, probably close to the 24/7 mark as well. The last time I had to deal with a virus was on a Dell machine about 10 or so years ago. I was around 10 myself so you could imagine how computer stupid I was. Started messing with important virus protection lets say.

Other then that one time, no problems, only a couple BSOD when I was new to OCing because I had done it wrong and that's it. Now all I run is Adaware and Norton, both after rebates was only about 25$. No problems, no nothing. Hell my computer only crashes when I push the hardware to far.

As to buying an iMac for any games would just be ... well we won't say it. For 1,500$ you can get a 2.4 GHz Core 2 duo and a ATI 2600 Pro
(http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...1024003/wo/AX4ZWAuIyiCw30vaas52K30W6OU/6.?p=0)

The 2.4 GHz Processor is ok ... though to play games now a days you're gonna want more. As for the ATI 2600 Pro, hell I'm ATI till I die but the 2000 series is awful. I can't stress how awful they are.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=1066&model2=722&chart=308

As you can see here, the 2600 is suppose to be newer and better, but my x1950 beats it out. It almost doubles any score! For being an older card and doubles the score of the 2600 in almost everything is bad. Heck, the card isn't even that old and it's already under 100$. ATI fucked up when it came to the 2000 series (sorry for anyone who bought one :( )

Only 1 gig of ram too, another feature that's not to pretty to the eyes.

As for needing to chase upgrades and viruses for a PC. I recently built another machine, last August, because my machine that I built in 2001 was getting outdated. Yet you know what I did with it, gave it to my brother because it still runs games like WoW, CS, and such flawlessly. Didn't even recieve a RAM upgrade in those times. Probably a bad comparison but You do not have to chase upgrades for a PC. Nor viruses if you have common sense. I believe the Mac had huge virus problems back in the day and they are still able to get viruses on the newer OS's as well.

So yes, buy an iMac if you want to edit videos or have iTunes supposably run better for you. I'm sure the added 600 or so dollars for a machine that you have to upgrade, which I'm pretty sure your options are very very limited, before it leaves the factory. Or you can just take that 600 extra dollars and buy yourself something nice while having a machine at your desk that runs anything you throw at it for the next 6 years. ;)

Sorry if I come off like I get heated about this stuff, but I do. I can not justify spending 600+ dollars on the Mac OS. I can also not justify having all these rumors keep going around about the PC. All the Mac does is provide us with false advertising at best.

Just to clarify, I dont have now nor have I have I ever had any viruses .. I was just thinking maybe a mac would be a good idea for a computer so that I wouldnt have to even worry about viruses or bother with "acquiring" virus scanners. All of that is moot anyway since I'm feeling inspired to take everyone's advice and try to put together a pc myself. It will probably be frustrating and difficult for me but it might be a fun hobby too.

Putting a PC Together is not hard or difficult Mak. I built my first when I was 10 years old.
Im sure you can do it.
If you can use a screwdriver and common sense then its easy.

What do you want to do with this PC so I could spec it out accordingly?

Aye I fully recomend the desicion of building your own PC. I'm sure many of us would be more then happy to help out to. It's not hard, though for a first timer I would keep us updated on parts you are considering. Just incase there are some compatability issues such as form and such.

[quote name='Serik']While it's true that Windows is riddled with security flaws and sloppy coding, the "only macs or linux can save you from the evil viruses!" line is overdone. Use a secure browser (Firefox) and some free AV and some common sense and you'll be virus free for years. For bonus points, install the no-script addon in firefox and prompt Spybot to alert you whenever a program attempts to modify the registry.

Mac just does a better job of protecting clueless users from themselves.[/quote]

Anyone that knows what they are talking about knows that OSX is the swiss cheese of security holes. No one attacking your platform doesn't make it safe

[quote name='usickenme']sure buddy, I believe you are the one windows user who has never had a problem.

Your anecdote aside, every windows user at some point has had to chase a virus. Facts are facts. I haven't been hit with malware or spyware for years myself but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Especially if you have kids or less tech savvy people using your system.[/quote]

You use the line "facts are facts" to back up speculation. Brilliant!

I'm not going to argue which OS is more secure. But like n25philly said, there are a lot less attacks on the Mac OS. A smart surfer will not get a virus. Of course if you download pron or visit unsavory sites, your not a smart surfer.

If you want a machine for gaming, then stick with Windows. No need to pay for two OS's. The one advantage of pc's is that you can build your own at a great savings. I don't know anyone who built their own Mac clone. Although I see a guy on my local criagslist who sells them at about 1/2 the price of an actual Mac.

I would go with building your own. If you don't mind using 2nd hand parts parts you can probably get a system that plays anything but like Crisis, for about $400.

[quote name='InuFaye']Putting a PC Together is not hard or difficult Mak. I built my first when I was 10 years old.
Im sure you can do it.
If you can use a screwdriver and common sense then its easy.

What do you want to do with this PC so I could spec it out accordingly?[/quote]

But I lack common sense :lol:

Specifically what I'd like to with it is internet browsing, watching videos, burning dvds, media center for my 360/ps3, and gaming

EDIT: What resources do you guys use to read about pc's and/or pc building?

[quote name='Maklershed']Specifically what I'd like to with it is internet browsing, watching videos, burning dvds, media center for my 360/ps3, and gaming

EDIT: What resources do you guys use to read about pc's and/or pc building?[/QUOTE]

Lots of great info here: http://www.anandtech.com/guides/

If you have any interest in OS X, spring for an iMac or Mini. Even if you end up hating the OS (not likely) you can run Vista/XP on it and they're near-silent.

[quote name='Maklershed']Just to clarify, I dont have now nor have I have I ever had any viruses .. I was just thinking maybe a mac would be a good idea for a computer so that I wouldnt have to even worry about viruses or bother with "acquiring" virus scanners. All of that is moot anyway since I'm feeling inspired to take everyone's advice and try to put together a pc myself. It will probably be frustrating and difficult for me but it might be a fun hobby too.[/QUOTE]
Nobody's mentioned it, but have you thought of building a hackintosh? That is, a PC running OSX off a different partition or drive? I'm in the process of researching it, but it sounds good so far to me. The only drawback I can find thus far is that running OSX on non-Apple hardware slightly limits your choices in hardware.

People question the legality of hackintosh, but so long as you're using an official copy of OSX, I don't see the problem. I realize my interpretation may not hold up in court, but if I paid for my software and I'm doing this for personal use, Apple can stuff it. (I've paid their prices for hardware once. Never again.) I'm just going to set up a couple of internal HDs and boot to whichever one I need: OSX for work, XP for play.

I've also never built a PC, so I'm trying to muster up the courage right now. It's a pain in the ass because I don't want to buy components that aren't compatible with one another, and it's hard finding resources that help you understand what motherboard goes with what pin or GPU or whatever. My head's still swimming. There are guides that go step-by-step, but they're predicated on you having exactly the components they have. I'd like a little room to stretch in the selection of the components, especially when a lot of these guides are 6+ months old.

Anyhow, I shall watch this thread with considerable interest. Good luck.

At $1000 limit, I'd definitely cross Mac off your list.

Personally I'd go with building a PC, esp. if you're going to be gaming.

[quote name='dothog']Nobody's mentioned it, but have you thought of building a hackintosh? That is, a PC running OSX off a different partition or drive? I'm in the process of researching it, but it sounds good so far to me. The only drawback I can find thus far is that running OSX on non-Apple hardware slightly limits your choices in hardware.

People question the legality of hackintosh, but so long as you're using an official copy of OSX, I don't see the problem. I realize my interpretation may not hold up in court, but if I paid for my software and I'm doing this for personal use, Apple can stuff it. (I've paid their prices for hardware once. Never again.) I'm just going to set up a couple of internal HDs and boot to whichever one I need: OSX for work, XP for play.

I've also never built a PC, so I'm trying to muster up the courage right now. It's a pain in the ass because I don't want to buy components that aren't compatible with one another, and it's hard finding resources that help you understand what motherboard goes with what pin or GPU or whatever. My head's still swimming. There are guides that go step-by-step, but they're predicated on you having exactly the components they have. I'd like a little room to stretch in the selection of the components, especially when a lot of these guides are 6+ months old.

Anyhow, I shall watch this thread with considerable interest. Good luck.[/quote]

I believe hackintoshes are technically illegal

I would wait for deals to popup on slickdeals.net for components.

Get some quad core intel, an a 8800gt.

You should be all set with that kind of stuff.

bread's done
Back