Mac users! i need some quick help

Jaket

CAGiversary!
Feedback
214 (99%)
proud new owner of a macbook here. But i need some quick help.

what the hell should i/do i use for word processing?!

[quote name='Jaket']proud new owner of a macbook here. But i need some quick help.

what the hell should i/do i use for word processing?![/QUOTE]

Best bet. Google. There is a free one out there I know star office? Something like that.

The macs we use at school already have Microsoft Word. Do you have Microsoft Word pre-installed? If not, do you have a copy of it somewhere?

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/index.html

Completey free, and looks a lot like word. Its open source
I use it on all my computers mac or PC for word processing and more.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']The macs we use at school already have Microsoft Word. Do you have Microsoft Word pre-installed? If not, do you have a copy of it somewhere?[/QUOTE]

No word and/or office for the mac doesn't come pre-installed. You have to buy it for $250-$300. But I say fuck that and use open office.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']NeoOffice. Complete package that's free. Has wordprocessing, spreadsheet, drawing, database, etc. Good stuff.[/QUOTE]

Same as open office I linked to. OP download both and just keep the one you like the most.

I'll advert the usual MAC bashing joke and recommend open office. The few macs I have worked on (regrettably) used open office successfully.

[quote name='ZeroSupporT']I'll advert the usual MAC bashing joke and recommend open office. The few macs I have worked on (regrettably) used open office successfully.[/QUOTE]

May I ask what made the mac experience so bad. I not saying you are but some people just bash macs cause they want to. Cause to some its the "cool" thing to do.

I did tech support for a company and our graphics/marketing specifically used macs ( I don't know much about them, but from what I understand Macs serve a good purpose for graphics) anyway, our network like most large corporate networks was ran on windows and windows servers, trying to get Macs to connect to that was like pulling teeth, even with at the time the newest OS, you could program the specific IP info in there, after searching for the menu for an hour and it still wouldn't communicate, I eventually gave in and contacted a friend who was a certified Mac Genius who walked me through the process again and once it was connected informed me that it was not very reliable and any update might break the connection off again. I would assume macs working on a mac or linux network would probably work well, but the reality is that from my experience most networks are windows, for Macs to survive their compatability with the most popular network out there should be imperative.

[quote name='rywateska']Don't be foodstamps & just pick up word.[/QUOTE]

Yeah why get a superior product (OpenOffice) for free when you can pay for Microsoft Word?

[quote name='Graystone']You have to buy it for $250-$300. But I say fuck that and use open office.[/QUOTE]

Sheeit. I just bought Office 2004 Mac and Windows XP for $12.25 yesterday. You just gotta know a college campus where they sell them on the cheap like that (I think the school pays a bulk license like that, and MS is happier to make $5 off of a college student than to have them steal it).

The clerk told me "uh...there is no Windows XP for Mac" when I asked him for it. I told him I only said "Windows XP," and didn't bother going into any explanation of Boot Camp. I haven't owned a Mac since two (?!?!?) years ago, and I feel the pretentiousness surging through my veins already.

NeoOffice and OpenOffice are not the same thing...

Download NeoOffice because it actually integrates into the OS whereas OpenOffice runs in the X11 layer which you may or may not have installed. Since OpenOffice runs in X11 is doesn't have access to the system fonts nor does it easily print...

NeoOffice is very simple to use and is very reasonable as an Office replacement.

Of course come January Apple is rumored to be releasing a new iWork bundle that will have it's word processor/publisher, presentation and a new spreadsheet style app. No confirmation yet but it sounds interesting.

I've always been bothered that MS Access was never part of the Mac Office suite. What are some good opensource database programs?

(There may be one in Open or Neo, but since I won't have my mac until the 27th, I don't know for the moment).

I second the suggestion to check out a college campus if possible. Mac Office should only be $5 there. $5 isnt a bad price for the Mac version of Office (its actually a decent program).

iWork (Keynote and Pages) is about $80, but I found the interface of Pages weird. I know it has to be wonderful for some people, but I couldnt get past how unusual it was to use compared to other programs.

OS X includes Text Edit, which isnt a bad little word processor.

Fair warning, I've only used OS X in university labs, which I have done extensively for one of my jobs, but I dont own a current intel based Mac. Discount my opinions accordingly.

I have NeoOffice and iWork '06, generally use NeoOffice for opening Excel spreadsheets at work, and TextEdit for composing webpages and homework assignments.

That may sound ghetto, but TextEdit runs circles around MS Notepad. :) It's also not clunky, like NeoOffice, or as unbearably slow as running OpenOffice in X11.

You also have emacs and vi options in Terminal, and any other Unix packages that you can get working. And there's a version of Appleworks for OS X that's okay. I wrote most of my college papers in Appleworks before moving over to TextEdit. If you absolutely need full desktop publishing software, I'm not sure what would be best. I played with an Aquafied version of Abiword a couple of years ago that worked fine except it crashed habitually. They may have fixed that by now.

[quote name='NoRain']Yeah why get a superior product (OpenOffice) for free when you can pay for Microsoft Word?[/quote]

Theres nothing wrong with MS Word. How is OpenOffice superior?

The Mac version at my school was more like $60. Still a good deal, but more than advertised here.

Plus, Office for Mac is pretty weak in comparison to Windows. Something in word just seems off. And don't even try to use powerpoint. It's terrible compared to its Windows brother.

bread's done
Back