Mad Catz & TRITTON - QuakeCon 2010 Sale! - $10-$60 OFF! (Headsets + FightSticks)

MarkMan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
http://store.gameshark.com/promotions

$5 Off Select Accessories

Use Coupon Code: QUAKE5

$10 Off Select Accessories

Use Coupon Code: QUAKE10

$20 Off Select Accessories

Use Coupon Code: QUAKE20

$30 Off Select Accessories

Use Coupon Code: QUAKE30

$40 Off Select Accessories

Use Coupon Code: QUAKE40

$50 Off Select Accessories

Use Coupon Code: QUAKE50

$60 Off Select Accessories

Use Coupon Code: QUAKE60

coupons expire:Wednesday, August 18

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mark! Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if there's a chance of using the analog 5.1 headsets ever for console gaming or are we stuck?
As for the TE sticks is everyone noticing that much of a difference?

I'm stuck between deciding to pick up the 720 headset because of this sale or the TE. I'm looking at the headset almost more for the semi-5.1.
The $40 joystick doesn't sound so bad as a stopgap for a joystick, so I'm asking or should I not bother at all?

You mean the analog one they just introduced? Makes sense since the 5.1's are cheaper at $99 and I think they're trying to sell them as the low end 5.1's.

I've been looking for a reasonably priced entry-level fight stick for my 360 for a LONG while...I may just jump on the 79.99-$40 off SFIV stick.

[quote name='Brassman87']I've been looking for a reasonably priced entry-level fight stick for my 360 for a LONG while...I may just jump on the 79.99-$40 off SFIV stick.[/QUOTE]

Personally I'd go with the $100 TE stick. The best part is, if you get serious, you're good. If not, you can sell it later ^.^

Anyone have an opinion on the Modern Warfare 2 Elite Keyboard? It looks like a licensed version of the Cyborg v.7, and with it already being on sale the price drops to $30 bucks.

[quote name='MarkMan']Personally I'd go with the $100 TE stick. The best part is, if you get serious, you're good. If not, you can sell it later ^.^[/QUOTE]

I can see that. But there's a part of my brain that just can't get over paying $100 for a controller. I mean, I'm sure it's the shit's bananas (and most reviews say so), but it's a controller. I've found entire arcade cabinets around that price.

Mark the only thing about that headset is I'm trying to figure out how I can hook it up into my 360.

What about the differences between the 2 joysticks? You think the cheaper might be able to tide one over. It's not just fighters I'm playing that I think I'd rather be playing with an arcade fightstick.

I'm debating between the AX720 and the AX Pro headsets... I've been meaning to get a nice headset for my 360 and I've been waiting on a turtle beach deal, but I may not be able to pass up on this...

I wish I had an excuse to get one of those headsets, I had a chance to recently try one again and it was pretty intense..

Now if only I had the money somewhere. :(

For mainly PS3 use, which one is better AX 720 or AX Pro /Dolby Digital? I currently have the AX360. I'm undecided...Please help

[quote name='Sarang01']You mean the analog one they just introduced? Makes sense since the 5.1's are cheaper at $99 and I think they're trying to sell them as the low end 5.1's.[/QUOTE]

No I mean the pro vs the 720. I found the 720 to be more precise.

Trittons are known as the worst of the multiplatform headsets out there. if you are going to spend that much on a headset, keep saving and go with the Astro A30s. Well worth the investment.

[quote name='0dantheman0']For mainly PS3 use, which one is better AX 720 or AX Pro /Dolby Digital? I currently have the AX360. I'm undecided...Please help[/QUOTE]

I went in on the 720s. I reviewed the 720s vs. the pros and it seemed the pros were only slightly better in sound quality and the 720s had less mic issues (they frequently break on the pro and less frequently on the 720s). I don't really want them for the mic anyway, so that didn't bother me. Just figured it wasn't worth the extra $30 (after coupons) for the Pro with only a slight sound difference.

If you use HDMI cables for hook ups, you WILL need this adapter though. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001S5CCF2/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

[quote name='Darknuke']I'm debating between the AX720 and the AX Pro headsets... I've been meaning to get a nice headset for my 360 and I've been waiting on a turtle beach deal, but I may not be able to pass up on this...[/QUOTE]

i recently (as in this week) got a pair of Turtle Beach x31's and am loving them. I wasnt as impressed wiht the tritton headsets i used at pax east earlier this year, and the TB just feels comfortable after a couple hours use.

and given that amazon had them for $75, i couldnt pass it up

[quote name='jr8rulz']i recently (as in this week) got a pair of Turtle Beach x31's and am loving them. I wasnt as impressed wiht the tritton headsets i used at pax east earlier this year, and the TB just feels comfortable after a couple hours use.

and given that amazon had them for $75, i couldnt pass it up[/QUOTE]

the x31's are not dolby surround (thus their cheap price) and I have heard that they have a gnarly issue with popping sounds in their dolby versions. Some people would complain it was so bad that when it happened it would hurt their ears it was so loud. The buzzing sound that is also a problem with all gaming headsets is worse with TB too. And lastly, they are not as much noise cancellation as the trittons.

I was actually pro turtle beach until I read up on different sites about the reviews for the dolby versions. It's pretty unfortunate that most people hate TB headsets. I've read some bad reviews about Tritton's as well, but for the most part, they were the lesser or two evils lol. Especially since most of the reviews were about Tritton's mics breaking and not the sound quality. Tritton reviewers had nothing bad to say about the sound quality whereas TB reviewers did. That was my deciding factor.

Trittons are known as the worst of the multiplatform headsets out there. if you are going to spend that much on a headset, keep saving and go with the Astro A30s. Well worth the investment.

Lol and spend like $200? No thank you... $99 for a decent dolby headset is good enough for me... Plus, then I read this review from amazon

I am an audiophile. Sometimes it's a curse! But one thing I do know is quality audio. I have a very decent Klipsch top tier surround sound setup in my house. It's hard to beat it, but as I became a father twice over, I've needed to go incognito during my nightly gaming sprees. Hence my search for a top of the line headset/headphones. I have personally tried/tested the name brand gaming headsets and found all to fall short. Trittons, Turtle Beaches and the mighty Astros, to name a few! I have also tried the Sennheiser HD555s and the AT AD700s, both of which are audiophile headsets.

Those reading this review are looking at Astros because they are the top tier gaming headset. Endorsed by the MLG and by many fans who love to game. But how many of those "endorsers" have audio experience? How many have tried different gaming headsets? Probably not too many, especially if they bought this complete set. I want to help you in your decision making process.

First, the Xbox 360 has horrible sound output. This is not a random guess, it is sadly a fact. Optical out does little more than put compressed quality audio through an optical cord. And as everyone should know... it doesn't matter how good your headphones are, the source dictates the ultimate quality. But even then, a good pair of phones will sound better than others, just not performing to its optimal abilities. On the other hand, the PS3 shines in this department. The audio is clearly the winner of the two. For instance the Trittons 720 sounds like crap on the 360, but on the PS3 they are slightly less crappy. And those who think the Tritton 720s are decent, have never listened to a good pair of headphones!

The Astro A40 is not a terrible headset. It isn't great either. It doesn't have a very good soundstage (which can be defined as directionality). This surprised me, because an ultimate gaming headset should have ultimate soundstage! Rather, it is dependent on the nifty Astro mixamp to make up for its shortcomings. The headset is tinny on the high end, lacking on the low end (and I'm not a true bass aficionado, I like it accurate: tight and punchy which this is not). In my opinion this headset is made for the 360's inferior sound spectrum. Whereas with my audiophile headphones, the sound is accurate. MW2 online lobby sounds are horrid, but that's not the headphone's fault! With the Astros, the audio sounds alright at all times, but never great and sometimes not even good. Without the mixamp, the headset isn't very directional. I got just as much directionality (like locating enemies in Cod4 and MW2 by listening to footsteps) out of my Turtle Beach X1s. But plug in the mixamp and you have a well structured dobly pro-logic sound. Unfortunately,though many people don't know this, dolby pro-logic is not the best for fps games where you listen for footsteps. It is immersive, yes. It gets you into the game, yes. But it isn't that great for footsteps. At least it isn't that much better than the TB X1s.

The mixamp, on the other hand, is a solid buy. It isn't just for the Astro A40s, but for ANY headphones. Plus you can plug other mics into it. True, the Tritton 720s unit can do that, but the 720 unit doesn't have pro-logic surround. It has "concert" or "hall" mode where everything echoes around you. That is a horrible rendition of surround sound (stay away from the 720). But the mixamp has the updated pro-logic chip. It also has independent chat and game sound volume controls. Almost all the other brands have this, but the mixamp works with other headphones and mics. It is a solid purchase. In years to come you can simply buy a good headphone/headset and use this.

On the other hand, I use the AT AD700 headphones. They are superb quality. I use 5 channel stereo and I can pinpoint enemies. And I mean pinpoint! I am almost lead by what I hear. It is so clear what direction my opponents are coming from that I don't have to doubt their location. Upstairs, behind me, to the left, to the right. Two to the right, distinct from one another etc. For solo games, I hit the pro logic 5.1 and I'm golden. Perfect game immersion. Fallout 3 and Mass Effect never sounded so good! And for music... don't even get me started! Violin not just on the left, but in front of the bass, next to the clarinets and oboes.

In short, the mixamp is a good five stars. The headset, coupling in price is a 3 star. It was designed for gaming, it is not capable of really great sound production. Sure it works alright with games, but don't think for an instant that this will make a music fan happy! It is not worth the money, though. The mixamp is around $130.00. Go buy the Sennheiser HD555s or the AT AD700s and the mixamp (plus Zalman mic) for less than this package and you will be in heaven no matter what multimedia you are using! Or if you're short on money, the Turtle Beach X1s will give you the same "footsteps" advantage as the Astro for $200.00 less. If you have a decent A/V unit (with Dolby pro-logic and 5 channel programming), just buy the AT AD700s, or if you only have a headphone out on your tv, buy the HD555s, as they imho do better without equalizing. Buy the mixamp later if you wish.

Do the codes include free shipping?
If not, with code, CA tax and shipping the AX Pro is about $10 less than Amazon. If Gameshark's site does the lame thing and takes the $40 off after tax, the difference is even less.

[quote name='Darknuke']
Quoting an Amazon review:
"I use the AT AD700 headphones. They are superb quality. I use 5 channel stereo and I can pinpoint enemies. And I mean pinpoint! I am almost lead by what I hear. It is so clear what direction my opponents are coming from that I don't have to doubt their location. Upstairs, behind me, to the left, to the right. Two to the right, distinct from one another etc. For solo games, I hit the pro logic 5.1 and I'm golden. Perfect game immersion. Fallout 3 and Mass Effect never sounded so good!"[/QUOTE]

Pro Logic 5.1? I'll assume s/he meant Pro Logic II. That transforms two channels into 5.1 channel sound. I don't understand how that is relevant to using the AT D700, which as far as I can tell is a two-channel headphone with no Dolby Headphone or other technology for simulating 5.1 surround sound using two channels.

In short, I have little confidence in this Amazon reviewer's knowledge, and therefore give little credibility to his/her opinons.

While the A40 (or A30) headsets are sold separately, they're meant to be used in combination with the Mix Amp for gaming. If you're using them for gaming, who cares about the directionality without the Mix Amp?

I got the headphones mixed up. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two AX Pro's? If they've used both, the 51 and the Dolby one's.
Have you noticed any difference?

I'll put it like this and a few of you will understand. The Tritton's are essentially the X-Arcade of headsets. Astro A30's with mixamp are the SF TE's ;)

[quote name='Japakneez']I'll put it like this and a few of you will understand. The Tritton's are essentially the X-Arcade of headsets. Astro A30's with mixamp are the SF TE's ;)[/QUOTE]

I don't know squat about fight sticks, but if Astro A30s are the same price as Trittons, than fine. But they're not. Everything I've read is that Astros are top-notch, but some people just aren't in the market for a $200 gaming headset. And while you say Trittons are "known as the worst," the Ax 720s get consistently good reviews.

The way I think of it is this: I am happy with my compact car. I will never argue that it competes with higher end cars, but it does what I want for the price I wanted to (or could) pay. If some guy next to me at the stoplight thinks he's better than me because his car, so be it.

All that being said, I'm saving up to buy Astro A40s. ;)

I was so ready to jump on the Tritton 720's, but the shipping killed it for me :( I picked up the Turtle Beach PX21 today and so far they are nice, at only $60 after some RZ cred.

I really don't know much about headsets, I have a 360/PS3 and I'd like to be able to use the set for PC gaming as well, based on that whats the best set? I don't want to spend more than $100.00.

I finally caved in and bit.

I already have a TE, but everytime they go on sale I think "But if I had two I'd have a full setup..."

I got the Marvel one, plus a bezel for my other stick.

The Tritton sets really aren't that bad. I paid $70 for the cheap ones (AX180 I think they're called?) and they're certainly worth that much. Especially considering the fact that they are universal (work with PS3, X360 and PC).

Don't expect A40 quality (come on I mean the 180s are less than 1/3 the price), but if you're just looking for something to keep your gaming sounds to yourself, or an upgrade over something like using the default 360 mic, they're certainly adequate.

I was going to pick up the AX Pro's but after shipping and tax it was just $10 less than amazon. I'll wait to see if they show up in something like a Black Friday sale.

[quote name='gantt']Do the codes include free shipping?
If not, with code, CA tax and shipping the AX Pro is about $10 less than Amazon. If Gameshark's site does the lame thing and takes the $40 off after tax, the difference is even less.

Pro Logic 5.1? I'll assume s/he meant Pro Logic II. That transforms two channels into 5.1 channel sound. I don't understand how that is relevant to using the AT D700, which as far as I can tell is a two-channel headphone with no Dolby Headphone or other technology for simulating 5.1 surround sound using two channels.

In short, I have little confidence in this Amazon reviewer's knowledge, and therefore give little credibility to his/her opinons.

While the A40 (or A30) headsets are sold separately, they're meant to be used in combination with the Mix Amp for gaming. If you're using them for gaming, who cares about the directionality without the Mix Amp?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this person plugged their headphones into the A40's Mix Amp and hit the 5.1 dolby button. At least that's what I got from it...

Still. Based on the reviews I have read, the A40's haven't really gotten much better reviews than the X720s. I'm sure I'll be happy with my Trittons for $100. If not, I'll return them.

Considering the Tritton 180's/AX Pro 51 and the Turtle Beach PX21's, one thing I don't understand is how do I hook these up? I use HDMI for all my connections.

[quote name='ChicoChanqlueta']I'm thinking of getting the Tritton AX180. Does any one know if it's any good?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they are good for what they are priced for. If your wondering if you could hear footsteps and soundwhore, then yes you can.

[quote name='maddog1419']Considering the Tritton 180's/AX Pro 51 and the Turtle Beach PX21's, one thing I don't understand is how do I hook these up? I use HDMI for all my connections.[/QUOTE]

Your hdmi will still be plugged in, you will just have to hook up the red and white cables to your tv for the headset audio

Ah, thanks man. Still undecided about which set I should go for. I just bought a Samsung PN50C7000(plasma tv) and while the sound is really good for a tv, you really need headphones. I used to game on a monitor with a 2.1 sound system w/cheap headphones and I miss hearing peoples footsteps, claymores etc

[quote name='Sarang01']Madcatz is trying to pretend the sale is over already. The codes won't work.[/QUOTE]

Ya someone was trying to be nice and pick up a MvC TE stick as a gift for me and informed me the code isn't working, so sad right now. :cry:

Hopefully this gets fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hellu']Ya someone was trying to be nice and pick up a MvC TE stick as a gift for me and informed me the code isn't working, so sad right now. :cry:

Hopefully this gets fixed.[/QUOTE]
yeah I just tried the blanka 360 fightpad and code is invalid.

[quote name='ChicoChanqlueta']I'm thinking of getting the Tritton AX180. Does any one know if it's any good?[/QUOTE]

Mine broke within 5 months.

bread's done
Back