Madcatz Portable Drum kit now for #39.99 at BB and Gamestop (360)

sunnysky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
For those of you who are still using your Guitar Hero III guitar for Rock band, and perhaps still have no drums, you may want to try the Madcatz Portable drum kit.
The list price is $59.99, but for some reason Best Buy has them at $39.99.
I decided to give them a shot. And I must say I am impressed.
The only real problem is trying to figure out exactly how/where you want to set them up.
But on the good side, once you've got them where you want them, they really work quite well.
The Kick pedal is sturdier than the that comes with the regular drum set. And the pads seem to be quite sturdy as well.
They are very responsive. they have nice rubber stoppers on the bottom of each pad to prevent sliding around (if put on a hard surface).
AND they are quite a bit quieter than the regular drum set (IMO).
I'd give them an 8.5 out of 10 rating.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sunnysky']For those of you who are still using your Guitar Hero III guitar for Rock band, and perhaps still have no drums, you may want to try the Madcatz Portable drum kit.
The list price is $59.99, but for some reason Best Buy has them at $39.99.
I decided to give them a shot. And I must say I am impressed.
The only real problem is trying to figure out exactly how/where you want to set them up.
But on the good side, once you've got them where you want them, they really work quite well.
The Kick pedal is sturdier than the that comes with the regular drum set. And the pads seem to be quite sturdy as well.
They are very responsive. they have nice rubber stoppers on the bottom of each pad to prevent sliding around (if put on a hard surface).
AND they are quite a bit quieter than the regular drum set (IMO).
I'd give them an 8.5 out of 10 rating.[/quote]

I saw this, but found very few reviews on it. I am looking to downsize since my "MAN CAVE" is being converted to the "play-room" how much harder is it to play when the drum heads are not angled towards you?

How is the foot pedal? This looks to have a lower profile than the OE RB pedal which would be good since I pedal backwards (with my heal instead of my toe).

Yes I did notice today that Gamestop has them at the same price.
As far as angling the drums toward you, it's all trial and error. You could put them on a coffee table and sit up a bit higher, Or you could set pillows on a coffee table (or other surface) and kind of fluff the pillows to angle the pads the way you want them.
The kick peddle seems to have a lower profile.
Keep in mind, if you don't like them, you can always return them.
There's an ok review on IGN.
http://gear.ign.com/articles/913/913591p1.html

[quote name='sunnysky']Yes I did notice today that Gamestop has them at the same price.
As far as angling the drums toward you, it's all trial and error. You could put them on a coffee table and sit up a bit higher, Or you could set pillows on a coffee table (or other surface) and kind of fluff the pillows to angle the pads the way you want them.
The kick peddle seems to have a lower profile.
Keep in mind, if you don't like them, you can always return them.
There's an ok review on IGN.
http://gear.ign.com/articles/913/913591p1.html[/quote]

8.2/10 is a pretty solid review for a 3rd party peripheral.

I am thinking about getting this and putting some velcro on foam wedges underneath the pads.

It may be a third party peripheral, but it's got Rock Bands logo/licensing/stamp of approval written all over it.
I played on the a bit more and wow I really like these things.
My wife (who can NOT fall asleep if she hears any noise) actually fell asleep upstairs, while I was playing them downstairs. No way that would have happened with the standard drum kit.

I got the first Rockband for PS3 and got 2 for 360 (because of the early release) and i dont have any drums, i think these would be a great buy for the money, and there quiet so i can play while others are sleeping

Thanks, I'm going to buy this within the next hour. I will post back to describe my experience with it.

is anybody else surprised that this has not be advertised at all??
I realize Madcatz doesn't usually advertis, but this is a great option for those who don't want a drum kit sitting in their living room/game room.

Wow, cheaper than the original drum kit. I'm definitely going to pick these up. The Mad Catz Bass is pretty tempting too. They've really up'ed their game.

I think everyone got sidetracked with the TRU deal on the Rock Band 2 bundle. These did look cool, but that deal was too good to pass up. Now I need to figure out what to do with my RB1 drums.

bread's done
Back