Madden 06' PSP

The game is ok...not great, but decent.

Graphics are good...for a handheld. The main thing that holds this game back is load times. There is a long load in between menus...not horrible, but long enough for me to notice. The gameplay is decent. No passing cone....which is good, unless you are like me and was so used to it, it becomes hard to adjust.
There is a little bit of slowdown in gameplay, not much, but some when the screen seems to have a lot going on. A slight pause in when you score a TD also. No replays...I expected that though.

The game is fun....glad I got it for less than $50. I would recommend it...since it's the only football game you will be playing on the PSP (Street does not cout ;) )

Does the game run smoother when the PSP is plugged in?
I know it sounds weird, but there is some talk on other forums that this does indeed help.

i read anedotal reports that it runs smoother when the commentary is turned off (i.e., not just the volume turned down)

A Couple of Questions for Those With the Game:

(1) How bad are the in-game loads? I read that there is a halt between each play! Is it Tiger Woods PSP between shots bad?

(2) How easy is it to distinguish players on your team from those on the other? I am concerned that with 11-on-11 on a small screen there might be problems. I found it hard with nfl street unleashed but i attributed part of that to the fact the teams really didn't wear distinct uniforms.

Thanks in advance

I think its a pretty good game. Though getting the punt return team to block is about as hopeless as the Xbox version. :) I'm pretty impressed with it as nothing about it really bugs me and even the menu loading isn't that bad. I just use it as time to think about my next play.

Also, if you officially own the game consider making a backup and running it from a memory card. You're entitled if you own it, I think, and it'll help cut down with the loading and you could even clock up the PSP when you have it plugged to get things running better.

andrew333,

I never played Tiger so I'm not sure, but its just a quick pause and if you let all the post play crap run sometimes its not even there. I can see how it would annoy some and it might slow the pace down a little, but I don't think Madden is a fast paced game to begin with.

I didnt' have any problem distinguishing between players. I know what you mean about Street and I think its easier in Madden.

I was skeptical but I picked it up at Frys anyway for 37.99.

I am pretty impressed now, I've been playing PS2 madden almost nonstop and have gotten used to the passing cone, so it's going to take me a while to adjust to not having to lock in on recievers.

Graphics are pretty good, expected from a first shot game on a new system, i'm sure with age the series will only get better. Players are easily distinguishable, no doubt about that one.

Gameplay wise, it's madden 06 on the go...i use the same plays, same playing strat and it works just the same on the psp as it does the ps2. It takes a little getting used to because of the control scheme and all, but you'll get the hang of it within at most 5 games.

Loading times are present, mainly at the startup, but those .5 second load times during play selection, etc aren't even noticable to me personally. They are there but it's honestly no big deal. There is as mentioned a slight pause after a TD--but since there are no replays anyway it didn't bother me all that much.
The very brief hitch on a change of possession, touchdown, etc. is extremely overshadowed by the great handheld gameplay.

I can't believe they fit the entire franchise mode into the game, plus all the commentary from the console versions are intact.

Overall i'd give the game a 87/100 -- if you EVER wanted to play a respectable version of madden on the go, you have no excuse not to pick this one up if you already own a PSP

*Edit* i'm hearing people say that turning off commentary gets rid of all the hiccups in gameplay pauses between plays, etc. I'll have to try that out!

YEah, the game is ok....I played a little more. I'm still deating if I want to keep it or trade it in. I'll probably keep it....maybe if I turn the commentary off, the plays may be a bit better.

I like Street and have been playing it alot, but I'd say Madden is probably a better recreation of the console version. Though being that Madden takes awhile to play a game sometimes that's a little cumbersome on a handheld, so I guess it depends. I think Madden is done better, but Street may translate better depending on your preference.

Yeah, I agree with MattX. I prefer to play my Madden on a console since on the PSP it seems to take awhile to complete a game. It's still good, just not great. However, with the lack of games for the PSP, it's still worth having. I've been on the fence to trade it in or not, I'm keeping it.

i finally decided to crack it open and was fairly pleased to find that the loading times issue (at least imo) is much ado about nothing

it is still a little tough to pass on the small screen (not to mention my proclivity to hit the xbox "x" when i should be hitting the psp "x" lol)

Anybody have problems with the game shutting down unexpectedly? I've heard that has happened to some, and I'm try to get a read as to how many this has happened to.

jeug

i was playing mini-camp games and my PSP shut down on me. had the battery icon with the slash in the middle of it. when i plugged in the ac adapter and powered it up, it was like it was on sleep mode.

as far as the game goes i am so glad i rented it from blockbuster. mini camp games are fun but the load times are horrendous... also, it seems as though the players have more agility in the psp version than ps2 as far as the run game goes. what bugs me is when a play is over, you have to wait for the disc to read and execute the commentary audio before you can choose another play. ugh... !!!

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Also, if you officially own the game consider making a backup and running it from a memory card. You're entitled if you own it, I think, and it'll help cut down with the loading and you could even clock up the PSP when you have it plugged to get things running better.[/QUOTE]

That's still not allowed.

I may trade mine in now...I thought I would keep it, but it's just not as fun as my console version. I can use this as credit towards the 360 version. I can probably trade my XBOX and this and get that for free

bread's done
Back