Madden 08 - ROBUST Online Details Revealed

SilverPaw750

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
Reader Mexxim was nice enough to transcribe a list of details for Madden 08 coming from Nintendo Power. Sounds like they are really going all out on the Wii version! We already knew about the online aspects, but now you can learn a lot more.

- Exhibition match-ups

- Online lobby with real-time leaderboards

- EA Locker features

- EA “My Profile” when online, which includes country of origin, win/loss record, defensive percentage, overall ranking, and 5-star
reputation score

- ESPN ticker updates

- Promised downloadable content such as roster updates planned for late 2008, early 2009

- Friend Code Implementation: Unknown as of right now, interface will be similar from other versions. Wii players will be able to
randomly play against an opponent.

- No voice chat, but will offer EA’s instant-messaging system

Offline: 22-mini-game party mode, which allow players to play new drills such as the 40-yard dash. Also includes a football-trivia
mini-game. Your performance in party mode will also affect your party mode rating, which can go as high as 99. This rating is recorded via your system’s own Mii roster.

- Instant head-to-head action with worldwide gamers

- Up-to-the-moment roster updates

- Virtual League which will allow players to join online tournaments

- Offline: Full Mii roster functionality with mini-games and more.
http://gonintendo.com/?p=18635

Sounds really, really good. As long as they make some minor gameplay/graphical improvements, I'm there, maybe even for $50.

[quote name='botticus']This is why I basically bought 07 as a demo. 08 may very well be the definitive Wii version. Or close enough.[/quote]
Yeah, now they just need online in tiger woods '08 and I'll just give them my credit card now.

Maybe it's not this year, but you know it's just a matter of time before they find a way to add a "Mushroom Kingdom All-Pro" team of eleven (same for "O" and "D") to this game for exhibition/online fun. Just as 'skins', but animations like Yoshi catching a bullet pass with his tongue would be 'cool', for lack of a better word.

I'll probably wait for them to hammer out the online play this year and buy Madden 09. Still, it sounds like they're taking it in the right direction.

Sounds like the rest of the online versions. Nothing ROBUST about it, other than the fact that its going to be online for the Wii.

[quote name='help1']Sounds like the rest of the online versions. Nothing ROBUST about it, other than the fact that its going to be online for the Wii.[/QUOTE]

It's certainly the most robust online experience a Nintendo console has ever recieved. The ESPN ticker thing sounds fascinating. And with those cool Wii controls... :)

[quote name='joshofstl']It's certainly the most robust online experience a Nintendo console has ever recieved. The ESPN ticker thing sounds fascinating. And with those cool Wii controls... :)[/quote]
And if it's like the tickers on the PS2 MVP games, it'll have ESPN Radio, too, to give you the latest news updates. I love that feature.

Make sure you buy it on day one, cos those online servers will only be up for 10 months until EA shuts them down in anticipation of Madden 09'. :roll:

As much as I used to like Madden I just can't seem to care anymore - it's really just the same game year after year after year after year... new controls, new minigames, new rosters, etc. None of it adds up to $50 for me anymore. I used to buy it every year and then every other year but the last one I bought was in 2002 and I just can't get excited about it as much as I want to.

This makes me want to go play Madden 07.........................................but my Wii is being repaired. Apparently it takes 6 weeks.

[quote name='Puffa469']Make sure you buy it on day one, cos those online servers will only be up for 10 months until EA shuts them down in anticipation of Madden 09'. :roll:[/quote]
You do know that they keep most of their games up for at least two years, right?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You do know that they keep most of their games up for at least two years, right?[/quote]

Right, but it's such an easy stab at EA!

[quote name='supershammy']Right, but it's such an easy stab at EA![/quote]
If you don't care about the truth, maybe. Burnout 3 is still up the last time I checked, which was in April.

Only 6 days to play it before Prime 3 comes out. But man that looks impressive.

Props to EA once again for basically giving every other 3rd party developer the finger when it comes to Wii development.

Apparently friend codes will not be used.

"IGN Wii: Does the online mode automatically import your system code, or do you need a separate friend code to play Madden online?

Damian: Madden Wii doesn't support the Wii friends system during online play. This is something we're still working on with Nintendo. For now our online play uses your EA Nation Persona to search and manage your EA Messenger account. "

Wow, Kotaku's acting like this is the end of the world and worse than the friend codes. They also seem to think that EA's using their own friends codes.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/795/795634p1.html

IGN Wii: As far as general gameplay goes for all consoles, how is Madden 08 different from its predecessor?
Damian: Madden 08 Wii includes many new features and some exclusive to the Wii version only. For starters, the Wii version will include the franchise's Read and React Player Weapon system. Basically, during gameplay you can manually display and see where your impact superstars are and where best to exploit mismatches on the field. These players are marked with Player Weapon Icons to illustrate their strengths. For example, star QBs can be classified as a Precision Passer, a Scrambler or having a Cannon Arm; the highest honor is that of the Franchise QB.

The Wii version will also offer a number of exciting exclusive features. One of those is our brand new Party Mode. We built this mode for those times when you have friends over and you want instant multiplayer action. We worked closely with our friends at Nintendo and have included full support to attach your own custom Mii to track your overall progress in the mode.

When first entering the Party Mode you have three distinct games areas: Play Now, Mini-Games and Trivia. All areas fully support four-player action. Once each player creates a profile with their Mii, it's off to gameplay where you can compete in 22 mini-games, a Trivia mode which will test your NFL knowledge or traditional Madden fans' favorite exhibition action. Each time you win or lose at party games it will raise or lower your Party Rating. The sheer number of multiplayer mini-games offered this year is staggering to say the least.

On the gameplay side you will see a number of those fun gestures return. We wanted to keep the controls fun and easy to remember so we remapped a lot of the difficult two handed gestures to simpler actions. The result has made the game a lot more responsive and fun to play.

IGN Wii: Are there any specific gameplay changes from running, passing, kicking, or play management?
Damian: We've done some tweaking in all areas of gameplay to make things easier to pull off. To Kick or Punt the ball now you simply hold the A button down and swing the Wii Remote up to generate power. This gives the user enough time to properly aim their kick before generating power. On the running side we've simplified the Power Move command to barrel through oncoming defenders. This year you just push the Wii Remote forward. These changes are just the tip of the iceberg, which together help make the game easier to play and more enjoyable.

IGN Wii: The previous game made great use of controller motion for stiff-arms, jukes, and catching or deflecting passes. Have any more of these motions been added for 08? How is the controller being used this time around?
Damian: A lot of those great gestures are back along with some new ones. One of the new additions we're particularly proud of is our new gesture based Audible system. This year we've put your Audible controls on the nunchuk. All you need to do is swing the nunchuk in one of four directions to call an Audible on the fly before the snap. These additions make the pre-snap game that much more interactive, just like in real life. If you don't like what you see on the defensive side of the ball in Madden 08 Wii, make the motion on your nunchuk and watch your team adjust.

IGN Wii: Along with new roster updates and mini-games, what can Wii players look forward to this year? Have live roster updates, streaming stats, or any other features been added to give the game the NFL feel?
Damian: It doesn't get any more NFL than streaming sports scores, which have been added to the feature set this year when you log into our brand new Online mode.

IGN Wii: Please go into detail in regards to online multiplayer. What modes can you play? Will it be as robust as, say, the 360 version?
Damian: The online mode this year on Wii will allow two-player Exhibition games which can be ranked or unranked matches. Once you've signed into EA Nation you'll have instant sports scores stream into the lobby and have access to quick play features to jump right into the action. Updated rosters, Leaderboards, EA Locker and EA Messenger are all a part of the online package this year.

IGN Wii: How does the game compare visually to last year's Madden, and will the Wii version specifically be getting a visual bump?
Damian: We put a lot of effort into the Visual and overall presentation this year. From our initial showings of the game people are impressed with the leap the game has made over last year. On the visual side we really tried to push the game's depth of color and richness. Everything from 3D grass to the shiny player helmets pop off the screen, even more so when you're playing in 16:9 with 480p. You'll notice this year that player jerseys and pants have that realistic jersey sheen (reflections) on them that actually adjusts with the camera angle. We didn't stop there, though. Our new in-game presentation includes an overhauled Play Call screen which shares some characteristics of the Next Gen game. Overall I think people will be impressed with what they see when they play the game, especially if you own an HDTV.

IGN Wii: Has there been any DS-to-Wii integration for this game for play calling or create-a-play modes? If not, can you use the Wii remote to draw out plays in your playbook?
Damian: No DS-to-Wii integration this year but there's always next year. When it comes to drawing with your Wii remote, however, we have got the feature for you. Madden 08 has an all-new Telestrator feature available in Party Mode this year. Basically Telestrator allows you to draw on screen during earned auto-instant-replays after big plays... so you can humiliate your opponent both vocally and visually this year moments after embarrassing your opponent with a punt return for a TD. It's been an office favorite and we're sure it will please those that enjoy heated competitive battles against their friends. Madden 08 Wii delivers John Madden's number one tool of his trade right into the palms of your hands. The possibilities are endless to say the least.

IGN Wii: Are there any modes/features that other Madden games have that the Wii version is missing out on? In turn, what content is Wii-exclusive?
Damian: Madden 08 Wii continues to have the major features that have become a part of the Madden product like Franchise Mode and Superstar Mode. We have also introduced new exclusive modes like Party Mode and familiar experiences like Online to appeal to both the traditional fan and the casual Wii fan. Also in the mix are new features like the Telestrator feature and other new innovations in this year's product. To get these new major additions into the game we did sacrifice a few minor features, however the pros of the new additions definitely outweigh the cons of the losses.

It looks like Miis are pretty much avatars for the Party Mode and possibly online play. I'm not sure how the kicking description is different from what you did in 07. I look forward to trying out the online modes.

Screens
The Telestrator feature:

Mii Usage:

Party Mode:

Other screens:

[quote name='flizmo007']Apparently friend codes will not be used.

"IGN Wii: Does the online mode automatically import your system code, or do you need a separate friend code to play Madden online?

Damian: Madden Wii doesn't support the Wii friends system during online play. This is something we're still working on with Nintendo. For now our online play uses your EA Nation Persona to search and manage your EA Messenger account. "[/quote]

Interesting. Any information at all as to what EA Nation is all about? I've never played EA titles online for any console, so I have no idea. Might it allow for the addition of random friends, or perhaps EA would concede that for the ability to use their own EA friend system.

Either way, as Scrubking said, it's a good sign that we'll be seeing alternatives. That's important.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']Interesting. Any information at all as to what EA Nation is all about? I've never played EA titles online for any console, so I have no idea. Might it allow for the addition of random friends, or perhaps EA would concede that for the ability to use their own EA friend system.

Either way, as Scrubking said, it's a good sign that we'll be seeing alternatives. That's important.[/quote]
It's EA's online account system. You just need one account for any of their games and you can manage a friends list, check stats, message friends, or challenge them to games or do whatever else they offer. I don't think you can add people to your friends list randomly, but all you should need is their username to add someone to your list.

That's pretty rad, thanks for the info there. So FIFA and Madden carrying the same friend list, I dig that. Certainly a nice sign at how things could potentially continue to progress.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's EA's online account system. You just need one account for any of their games and you can manage a friends list, check stats, message friends, or challenge them to games or do whatever else they offer. I don't think you can add people to your friends list randomly, but all you should need is their username to add someone to your list.[/quote]Is that how online is managed for the 360 version, or is this more similar to a PC implementation?

Whoa after reading all the stuff I can't believe i'm getting excited over Madden. The telestrator looks fun as hell. And I'm really interested in how EA is making their own online system. It would be awesome to pop in the next Burnout or SSX and already have a buddylist.

[quote name='botticus']Is that how online is managed for the 360 version, or is this more similar to a PC implementation?[/quote]
I wouldn't know. Don't have a 360, but the online situation sounds like essentially what they did for their PS2 games. If you want to get ready for the game, you can sign up for an account at EA right now and you'd only need to remember the your username and password when the game comes. It would beat typing all of that out with Wii Remote.

bread's done
Back