Madden 09 - Gen. Discussion & Info

This afternoon, Ike Reese was discussing Madden with a caller on WIP. Since he's retired from the game, he started hosting segments of 610WIP Radio. During the call he gave out his gamertag on the air. Even the caller advised him not to do it, but Ike basically said he'll take on anyone at anytime.

I'm assuming he created an account just to play Madden with people. So I'd thought I'd share it with the Madden afficionado's on CAG in case you want to play a former NFL Linebacker.

Gamertag: Legendof58

He said he'd most likely be playing after 10:30 once he puts his kids to bed. However, eh also soemtimes hosts a night show, but he's been working days recently since the normal day host just got married.

FrankySox and I just played. With 1:19 left, I kicked the field goal that probably would have tied it up at 10-10, and then *boom* connection to opponent lost. This resulted in us both shouting "WHAT THE fuck?!" simultaneously, and then signing off frustrated and unsatisfied.

Pretty good game with extra features but I wish we could have more bonus content and freedom. Bring back ESPN/NFL Network. Ripped jerseys anyone? Cheerleaders on the sidelines? Team Mascots roaming the endzone? What happened to training camp position battles? These little things that the game is lacking makes a huge difference.

Yeah, I wish the whole Franchise was like last-gen. I miss those training camp drills and would very well prefer them over these new exercises. Ripped jerseys? Meh. Cheerleaders? Eh. Team mascots? You rarely see them on TV anyways. They have some NFL Network collaboration in Head Coach, so I was kinda surprised they didn't do anything with them in Madden. They should have a half time and post game report with the highlights, rather than giving you a list. =p *coughNFL2k5cough*

I just wish there would be a review for a Madden game where they told you everything that was in it. Not assuming you've played every single prior release and only list the new additions.

Good point a couple posts up. No cheerleaders, no other sideline activity, no real ESPN type presentation. All of that makes it feel less like a televised football game. The game still feels like that NCAA basketball game on SNES, where you played on a court in the middle of a total void. Stupid EA is still so focused on plastering their logo all over the HUD.

They should get rid of their shitty HUD graphics and put actual official ESPN tickers and all that up. Get that pain in the ass EA logo off the screen. Soul Calibur 4 doesn't have everyone fighting in Namco t-shirts. So EA needs to get over themselves and just put out the game instead of a perpetual advertisement. Make it look like televised football, not EA ego stroking.

I like that receivers are a bit more aware of their surroundings, as I've had a few overthrown passes to my TE caught by the WR about 10 yards behind him.

Managed to beat the crap out of Cincy with my Browns after having three straight close games against Dallas, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore. I definitely made the right choice in starting Brady Quinn over Derek Anderson.

fuck Microsoft and fuck EA. My franchise game just froze when I was up 94-7 and Matt Forte just set a new NFL rushing record for a single game. I also had 8 INT's of Delhomme. I can't even upload the highlights I made! :bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Is it just me or does the football spin when the center goes to grab it at the line of scrimmage?[/quote]

haha not just you. I've noticed it as well. It's like he is using the Force when he lines up and the ball spins up to his hand.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I just wish there would be a review for a Madden game where they told you everything that was in it. Not assuming you've played every single prior release and only list the new additions.

Good point a couple posts up. No cheerleaders, no other sideline activity, no real ESPN type presentation. All of that makes it feel less like a televised football game. The game still feels like that NCAA basketball game on SNES, where you played on a court in the middle of a total void. Stupid EA is still so focused on plastering their logo all over the HUD.

They should get rid of their shitty HUD graphics and put actual official ESPN tickers and all that up. Get that pain in the ass EA logo off the screen. Soul Calibur 4 doesn't have everyone fighting in Namco t-shirts. So EA needs to get over themselves and just put out the game instead of a perpetual advertisement. Make it look like televised football, not EA ego stroking.[/quote]

Well Said! Good point on the EA logo. I just realized that when I tried simulating to the pro-bowl to see if they had made the players wear team helmets but instead it was the stupid EA ones.

[quote name='MSUHitman']fuck Microsoft and fuck EA. My franchise game just froze when I was up 94-7 and Matt Forte just set a new NFL rushing record for a single game. I also had 8 INT's of Delhomme. I can't even upload the highlights I made! :bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:[/quote]

Up the difficulty?.....

[quote name='MSUHitman']fuck Microsoft and fuck EA. My franchise game just froze when I was up 94-7 and Matt Forte just set a new NFL rushing record for a single game. I also had 8 INT's of Delhomme. I can't even upload the highlights I made! :bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you'll probably be able to do the same thing with the settings on rookie. My guess is that Matt Forte doesn't get 300 yards all year, let alone in a game. 94-7, wow.

Wow superstar mode is fun. I made a TE and got drafted by the Saints. Unfortunately I did too well on the training exercises and ended up with a 96 rating to start... that unlocked too much of the game at the get go (ie I had all of the agents unlocked) and I have nowhere to go stat wise. I'd rather start at 82 and work my way up to mid 90s.

That said I love the camera angles... I love pancaking defenders on running downs.

This Madden IQ thing is starting to get annoying. Rather than upping the opposing AI, it seems like it's dumbing down my player ratings once I get a high IQ. I'm seeing Peyton overthrow players by 5 yards or Wayne and Harrison dropping balls that are sure catches.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']This Madden IQ thing is starting to get annoying. Rather than upping the opposing AI, it seems like it's dumbing down my player ratings once I get a high IQ. I'm seeing Peyton overthrow players by 5 yards or Wayne and Harrison dropping balls that are sure catches.[/QUOTE]

Yeah IQ is dumb. I read on operation sports something about "Dummy Sliders" where you make a profile with sliders for the computer, which would make the computer smarter and not the user dumbed down. However this seems a little too tedious for me, I'm hoping they eventually incorporate a patch with computer sliders. IQ is really stupid, because if I'm playing with a bad team my IQ will fall and they just make my players worse, which in my mind doesn't add any challenge just frustration. If I'm good at passing don't make my Qb's accuracy 0, make the D's awarness higher. It's another stupid gimmick from EA and I can't even begin to tell you how much I hate it. Play a game with the Vikings and run all over (like you probably should be able to do) and you AI goes up, then play a game with the Dolphins and you can run for a shit. I could go on and on, atleast you can just use your own sliders (which I'm doing) or set it at one of the default difficulty settings.

[quote name='FrankySox']Yeah IQ is dumb. I read on operation sports something about "Dummy Sliders" where you make a profile with sliders for the computer, which would make the computer smarter and not the user dumbed down. However this seems a little too tedious for me, I'm hoping they eventually incorporate a patch with computer sliders. IQ is really stupid, because if I'm playing with a bad team my IQ will fall and they just make my players worse, which in my mind doesn't add any challenge just frustration. If I'm good at passing don't make my Qb's accuracy 0, make the D's awarness higher. It's another stupid gimmick from EA and I can't even begin to tell you how much I hate it. Play a game with the Vikings and run all over (like you probably should be able to do) and you AI goes up, then play a game with the Dolphins and you can run for a shit. I could go on and on, atleast you can just use your own sliders (which I'm doing) or set it at one of the default difficulty settings.[/quote]Completely agree. Madden IQ was a good idea, but executed poorly. What should've been something that helps the player, has instead turned out to hamper the way they can play the game. I'm hoping this is easily patchable, as I'd really like to see this idea develop.

They also need to do something more with the Virtual Trainer rather than what it currently is--a glorified practice. Point out to me how to read the safeties to know the coverage scheme. Tell me how to read what route the WR will run in a WR option. That's what I had thought it was going to be from the previews--a feature that helps you gain more football knowledge that you would otherwise overlook in past Maddens or watching the game on TV. But instead, in the higher difficulty settings (for the passing drills) I have to both read how the defense shifts in the coverage while guessing what patterns my receivers will run. Yeah, that makes plenty of sense.

Seems like lots of complaints, but unlike in past Maddens, I think most every feature set and gameplay element is here in this version. They just need to fine tune and tweak things.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Completely agree. Madden IQ was a good idea, but executed poorly. What should've been something that helps the player, has instead turned out to hamper the way they can play the game. I'm hoping this is easily patchable, as I'd really like to see this idea develop.

They also need to do something more with the Virtual Trainer rather than what it currently is--a glorified practice. Point out to me how to read the safeties to know the coverage scheme. Tell me how to read what route the WR will run in a WR option. That's what I had thought it was going to be from the previews--a feature that helps you gain more football knowledge that you would otherwise overlook in past Maddens or watching the game on TV. But instead, in the higher difficulty settings (for the passing drills) I have to both read how the defense shifts in the coverage while guessing what patterns my receivers will run. Yeah, that makes plenty of sense.

Seems like lots of complaints, but unlike in past Maddens, I think most every feature set and gameplay element is here in this version. They just need to fine tune and tweak things.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I would definitely like to see this get some works as it seems like a good idea if all the components could fall in place. Learning how to read defenses would be sweet. Also I shouldn't be getting an All-Madden IQ rating for my rushing attack just because I'm the best "Simon Says" player in the world. I really enjoy the game and I really doubt will see a patch for this, but hopefully it can be fine tuned for 2010.

[quote name='slickkill77']Up the difficulty?.....[/quote]

Yeah I'm trying to find the right one. [FYI I'm doing 8 min. quarters] The Colts beat me 49-0 when I had the game on Pro so I thought I would try it on rookie. Since I haven't played Madden since 06 on the PS2, I'm really out of practice.

Oh I was able to upload my highlights, but the game was gone. My best all-time Madden score against the CPU was 103-7 with the Cowboys in Madden 94 (SNES) over the Bucs on Pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah I'm trying to find the right one. [FYI I'm doing 8 min. quarters] The Colts beat me 49-0 when I had the game on Pro so I thought I would try it on rookie. Since I haven't played Madden since 06 on the PS2, I'm really out of practice.

Oh I was able to upload my highlights, but the game was gone. My best all-time Madden score was 103-7 with the Cowboys in Madden 94 (SNES) over the Bucs on Pro.[/QUOTE]

That's insane you got beat by 49 on pro but won by almost 100 on rookie, is the setting really that change really that dramatic. I don't know as I've always played on all-pro but that seems crazy. Maybe you could try creating a setting in between the two or something.

[quote name='FrankySox']That's insane you got beat by 49 on pro but won by almost 100 on rookie, is the setting really that change really that dramatic. I don't know as I've always played on all-pro but that seems crazy. Maybe you could try creating a setting in between the two or something.[/quote]
Maybe he did so good on rookie because it was on Madden 94....

Well the main thing was Delhomme throwing 7 INT's (I think maybe 5 of them were pick 6's) in the first half and every juke/highlight stick I did with Forte getting him a lane to the house.

I guess I'll either set it to the Madden IQ (which has fallen to under 500) or pro and see what happens. I thought the change from rookie to pro was drastic also.

That's crazy, the difference between Pro and Rookie. I had been undefeated in 24 games vs. the CPU and humans, but I finally lost to RawIsJericho online. Against the CPU, I'm playing MySkill, where everything but rush offense is on All-Madden.

Are there any gameplay bugs in Madden like the ones that have riddled NCAA? I have an issue with the challenge system but that's all I've experience so far.

There are glitches in Madden also. Apparently the 2nd patch will be releasing next week possibly.

I had one glitch where I punted the ball....it CLEARLY went out at about the 3 yard line and it was ruled a touchback.

There's a few bugs and jitters, but none that I've experienced to be gamebreaking. There's that WR direct snap glitch that lots are abusing online, but apparently EA is making an effort to forfeit those who've been using that glitch. Occasionally you'll see some weird ones. I had one where I kicked it off back in the goalline, which would be a touchback, but for some reason ended up on my 30. And another one where there was some weird glitch with floating players, and you couldn't hike the ball on offense because a floating player wasn't lining up.

They fixed an issue where when flats were caught by the backs they'd run to the sideline, but they didn't fix it so well with the CPU, who sometimes heads out of bounds rather than downfield.

Again, nothing gamebreaking, but with patch #2 and free DLC coming out within the next weeks (I heard mid-Sept, but doubledown says next week?), you'll be able to set CPU sliders and some other things tweaked like the CPU's insane QB accuracy.

[quote name='shinryuu']They fixed an issue where when flats were caught by the backs they'd run to the sideline, but they didn't fix it so well with the CPU, who sometimes heads out of bounds rather than downfield.[/quote]I still get that, especially with receivers. It's really quite annoying since the flats are open a whole lot against the CPU.

I've noticed some weird things from the announcers. On a few occasions, it will be like 2nd and whatever for me and time will be running out in the half and I'll select my play. When my guys line up, the announcer will say something about my questionable play call and that it is a punting situation. Umm yeah.. ok...

Man I can't wait until my internet is back so I can chime in. Typing on a black berry is a pain.

Anyway I think this game is a 6. Not horrid but not great just serviceable.

But like you guys have said the presentation is so lacking its almost to get into the game. You were spit on with the constent logos.

2 things is there any way to turn off the es beakdown thing that happens after you throw a pick. I hate the fact that it only comes up when you the user messes up. I mean I am lucky if the game even mentions that I got an interception. Why can't he breakdown what the cpu did wrong.

That leads me to this as any one noticed the fact that the game tries its hardest to avoid saying alones name. Like I am playing with the titans and I can go through an entir game without the mention of Vince young. The audio in this game is the worst I have heard. I have had the game for 3 days and have Gerard everything. Can't be more than 100 lines in the game.

Sorry for the mistakes on the last post. Typing on a black berry.

Ugh I need my internet to be hooked up.

Have any of you experienced in Franchise mode with a created team in the rookie scouting screen the names are off. I get a 100% bug recreate.

I've had a bunch of bugs too, the one announcer AND Madden suggestion that I punt the ball on 2nd down with 0:48 left in the first half. That bug feels like we're playing hot potato and not football.

I couldn't figure out how to save a replay, but I've had one play where the receiver caught the ball with one foot on the line and the other foot didn't come down until way past the line. I challenged the call and they kept the reception call. Is the challenge even used in this game? I've had other really questionable reception calls, and the like.

I love the flashback where they tell me I should have thrown to the triple covered wide out.

The bugs regarding receptions and touchbacks are troublesome.

[quote name='doubledown']There are glitches in Madden also. Apparently the 2nd patch will be releasing next week possibly.

I had one glitch where I punted the ball....it CLEARLY went out at about the 3 yard line and it was ruled a touchback.[/quote]

Have had that happen quite a few times, really a kick in the balls for someone who knows how to punt the ball, however, I'm not 100 % sure of the rule and the NFL rulebook didn't prove too useful in regards to it.

[quote name='drbutchevil']Have had that happen quite a few times, really a kick in the balls for someone who knows how to punt the ball, however, I'm not 100 % sure of the rule and the NFL rulebook didn't prove too useful in regards to it.[/QUOTE]

The rule is the ball is spotted wherever it goes out of bounds (even if it is in the air still) on a punt.

Not sure what Madden is using for logic...maybe they are considering where it lands on the bounce out of bounds...who knows. Does suck though.

I keep getting freezing in Franchise also.

[quote name='guyver2077']has anyone been able to get the downloadable cover to print correctly...?

i cant get it to come out right on a 8.5x11 sheet[/QUOTE]

Go to gamestop.com and the madden 09 page will have a link to it in the right size

[quote name='chef_larry']Go to gamestop.com and the madden 09 page will have a link to it in the right size[/quote]

thanks ill give it a shot.. big size diff though.. the ea one was like 12 mb

Dude the god damn pas defense in this game blows ass.

I have all stars at the db position that include asante Samuel and Chris hope.

In the odd season I spent all my money on Dbs. Just to watch every qb be able to throw a fade away pas like the were Jordan.

Its not even like the pasess are hard to catch either. They are perfect chest high in stride like they had all day to throw. Getting pressure on the qb seems to be worthless when every qb can be god damn fully horizontal and still make an easy pass.

I have now taken to unlimited rewinds and rewinding every time that happens.

Yeah its a little cheap but I find Rex grossman being able to through 40 yard strikes perfectly off his back foot to be a little cheap also.

Damn ea for not having sliders. Any way to take down a cpu qb accuracy.

i actually dont really like the rewind feature.. ill turn it off whenever i can..

Im actually not bad on pass defense but i can not get to the qb for shit from the d line...

[quote name='Soodmeg']Dude the god damn pas defense in this game blows ass.

I have all stars at the db position that include asante Samuel and Chris hope.

In the odd season I spent all my money on Dbs. Just to watch every qb be able to throw a fade away pas like the were Jordan.

Its not even like the pasess are hard to catch either. They are perfect chest high in stride like they had all day to throw. Getting pressure on the qb seems to be worthless when every qb can be god damn fully horizontal and still make an easy pass.

I have now taken to unlimited rewinds and rewinding every time that happens.

Yeah its a little cheap but I find Rex grossman being able to through 40 yard strikes perfectly off his back foot to be a little cheap also.

Damn ea for not having sliders. Any way to take down a cpu qb accuracy.[/quote]
CPU sliders and CPU QB accuracy is being addressed in the next patch/DLC. People have been making dummy accounts for CPUs to use to address some of these issues. I'm not sure how it works, but I'm guessing you change the sliders of the dummy account to be used for the CPU.

Man people have to remember its not all of ea that sucks its just es tibiron that drops the ball all the time.

They are the kings of taking very simple things and making them overly complex.

I would love to just sit in on a meeting. Just to watch how they come up with these things.

All amdden IQ is is just preset sliders. That's it. And only tibiron could something like preset sliders and spend an entire year over complicating it into a system that actuall works worse than the previous one.

I just don't get why they spend there time on gimmicks every year.

Alright... Well I have been a Madden fan ever since Day 1... And so far this is absolute shit. It freezes non-stop. And not just on one system... It has froze 10 times in an hour in a half between both my systems and my brothers systems. Also, is it just me or does the screen just have way too much shuit going on?

You know they could most likely free up a lot of space and cut down on slow downs and freezes if they didnt try to jam pack every other second with, "This game is brought to by EA." "By the way lets take this time to thank the people at EA" "EA SPORTS if its in the game its in the game"

"EA yeah we are that conceited"

playing franchise with default 5 min quarters.. after looking at the weekly game stats. im wondering if the cpu games stats are based on 5 min quarters as well..

i think ive always had this issue with sport games..

[quote name='guyver2077']playing franchise with default 5 min quarters.. after looking at the weekly game stats. im wondering if the cpu games stats are based on 5 min quarters as well..

i think ive always had this issue with sport games..[/quote]

I dont think so, I just think madden has horrid stat tracking to begin with.

I actually really like the rewind feature. Not for cheating or making up for my bad plays but for nixing CPU cheating.

I am glad that I can actually say No madden Mike Furry will not jump over Asante Samuel and then break 3 tackles and out run my fastest FS for a 80 yard TD just because your losing and its at the end of a half or game.

Yes you have to have discipline to not use it all the time but guess what? I havent thrown a single controller since I have had the game and for me thats a madden record. And madden was the sole reason I started the controller graveyard.......ahhh PS2 controllers break so easily.

bread's done
Back