Madden 12 League - Official Fantasy CAG League Week 9 Live , Deadline is Friday

You have to draw the line somewhere ya know, I think you should not be able to go for it in your own territory...period. once u cross that 50 yard line u should be able to do whatever u want. Or maybe no going for it in ur own territory and no going for it on anything more than 4th n 2 or somethin past the 50...I donno I'm a newbie I'm just throwin ideas out there

The "automatic" call was punt return, picked by madden - one of the greatest football analysis and creator of the game - IS MADDEN WRONG. Ended up winning, but will for sure go for it on every 4th down as long as I am past the 50. Sorry, my understanding of this rule was incorrect.

just played a ranked match with the lions lost 60 to 9 had like 14 picks.... using bradford comparrd to stafford is crazy....... im a lil worries to play duece wotg origional rosters

Also I got the hang of this site now so if ur playin me u can messege me here or whatever......tom brady n the cheifs slipped to 0-1 against the bills....the bills are solid I didntt blitz his weak line enough but he's defensive front is huge, definetly his teams strength. I was impressed with the fantasy draft also, if u guys are organizing anothier one count the bseti in

Madden wantted the pats to play for overtime against the greatest show on turf, he is wrong 90% of the time

For those of us who grew up watching Bill Belichick coach, the line of "When an NFL coach would go for it on 4th down" may be skewed a bit.
I am much more concerned with the amount of time in these games. It is all well and good to say "Play like an NFL coach", but given the time restraints, there has to be some space in between.

If someone is down say 21 points at the start of the 3rd quarter, and they end up at forth and short near the 50 yard line, going for it should be considered. How many more offensive possessions could they possibly have left?

Can we really have our coaching hands tied behind our back when winning the game is at stake?

I'm not trying to mess with rules that you guys have been playing with for years now (and lord knows I hate kids on-line who will go for it at anytime), I just think that there are a lot of circumstances in the format we curently play that lead to going for it on fourth when most NFL coaches would not consider it. Almost to the point that the integrity of these Madden games is at stake in order to create the appearence of a format true to the NFL.

Onside Kicks could also fall into this discussion but I am not even going there.

Are fake punts and fake field goals on fourth down allowed? NFL coaches use these and the result is usually very impactful and it seems a bit radical to completely abolish a trick play in a big situation.

P.S. Is no huddle offense allowed at all times in any circumstance?

[quote name='BSETI50']You have to draw the line somewhere ya know, I think you should not be able to go for it in your own territory...period. once u cross that 50 yard line u should be able to do whatever u want. Or maybe no going for it in ur own territory and no going for it on anything more than 4th n 2 or somethin past the 50...I donno I'm a newbie I'm just throwin ideas out there[/QUOTE]

It's not as black and white as "crossing the 50". 4th-and-5 from your opponents' 45 or something like that should be a punt 95% of the time, unless you're trailing late. So should 4th-and-1 from your opponents 49. Your situation was fine because of how much time was left, the fact that you were out of FG range, and the short distance to get the 1st. That all made it fine, but it's not just "past the 50, all bets are off", though I don't think that's actually what you meant.

[quote name='itlnstln']The "automatic" call was punt return, picked by madden - one of the greatest football analysis and creator of the game - IS MADDEN WRONG. Ended up winning, but will for sure go for it on every 4th down as long as I am past the 50. Sorry, my understanding of this rule was incorrect.[/QUOTE]

Call your own plays then. If you couldn't guess that your opponent might go for it there, than that's on you not on the game. As for going for it on every 4th past the 50, see above.

This is Doom and Cru's league, they can set whatever rules they want for it, but I'm sure they'll think the way we do it in the other league works just fine.

Bottom line: If you want to go for it on 4th down at any point in a game, be prepared to defend the decision in here. If you don't think it's defensible, it's probably not a good idea to run it.

BSeti's example was a clear-cut example of a time it's perfectly acceptable to go for it. Not every situation is going to be that obvious.

No huddle the whole game is pretty lame, but every once in a while is fine when you catch the defense in a bad set.

Onside kicks are only done when trailing in the 4th, though you can try to pull off a surprise onside kick whenever you want.

Fake punts and fake field goals are allowed.

Going for it past the 50, I don't have a problem with, but the quarter length will stay the same.

It really just depends on the situation. Like bv said, even 4th and 5 or 10 from the 45 should be a punt.

[quote name='Doomtime']
Going for it past the 50, I don't have a problem with, but the quarter length will stay the same.

It really just depends on the situation. Like bv said, even 4th and 5 or 10 from the 45 should be a punt.[/QUOTE]

Haha, thanks for the edit. When you just had the first line I was like "well, you've opened a can of worms, Doom" ;)

[quote name='Doomtime']Onside kicks are only done when trailing in the 4th, though you can try to pull off a surprise onside kick whenever you want.
[/QUOTE]
I dunno about this. You're down 28 points and you just scored a TD with 3 mins left in the 3rd. The worst thing you could do is give them the ball back and let them run off another 2 mins leaving you with only 6 mins to try a comeback. That's only if you stop them on all three down as well.

[quote name='bvharris']Haha, thanks for the edit. When you just had the first line I was like "well, you've opened a can of worms, Doom" ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah haha definitely depends on the situation.

[quote name='Doomtime']No huddle the whole game is pretty lame, but every once in a while is fine when you catch the defense in a bad set.

Onside kicks are only done when trailing in the 4th, though you can try to pull off a surprise onside kick whenever you want.

Fake punts and fake field goals are allowed.

It really just depends on the situation. Like bv said, even 4th and 5 or 10 from the 45 should be a punt.[/QUOTE]

This is all very good to know, Thanks Doom and BV for clarifying. Like I said, you guys have been doing this for awhile, and I trust any decisions you make about the rules are in the best interest of the league. I just wanted me and my friends to know what exactly those rules are, to steer clear of ill will between players over a call here or there.

And BV's point about being able to defend your decision in the thread I think makes the most sense. Thats what I was telling Bseti50 during that situation, which I'm very glad came up.

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']I dunno about this. You're down 28 points and you just scored a TD with 3 mins left in the 3rd. The worst thing you could do is give them the ball back and let them run off another 2 mins leaving you with only 6 mins to try a comeback. That's only if you stop them on all three down as well.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't have a problem with an onside kick in that situation.

[quote name='LVPatriots']This is all very good to know, Thanks Doom and BV for clarifying. Like I said, you guys have been doing this for awhile, and I trust any decisions you make about the rules are in the best interest of the league. I just wanted me and my friends to know what exactly those rules are, to steer clear of ill will between players over a call here or there.

And BV's point about being able to defend your decision in the thread I think makes the most sense. Thats what I was telling Bseti50 during that situation, which I'm very glad came up. [/QUOTE]

No problemo. Considering you can only do a surprise onside kick once per game (the game locks it once you've attempted once) that should be allowed whenever you want to take that chance.

[quote name='Doomtime']No problemo. Considering you can only do a surprise onside kick once per game (the game locks it once you've attempted once) that should be allowed whenever you want to take that chance.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know you could do one. I feel like this is bad news to disseminate, we're going to end up with a bunch of Sean Paytons on our hands. :D

[quote name='bvharris']I didn't even know you could do one. I feel like this is bad news to disseminate, we're going to end up with a bunch of Sean Paytons on our hands. :D[/QUOTE]

Super Bowl Champion Sean Paytons Sir. Don't knock the hustle.

[quote name='Doomtime']Are you going to guarantee a Superbowl win and not even make the Superbowl?[/QUOTE]

think i did that in 11 lol. figured since i got to two straight in 10, gettin back there shouldnt be too hard... then Zurezo and Ramesu showed up lol

[quote name='bvharris']I didn't even know you could do one. I feel like this is bad news to disseminate, we're going to end up with a bunch of Sean Paytons on our hands. :D[/QUOTE]

Even worse is it is nearly unstoppable if you know the right % to hit. But I'm down with it ;)

[quote name='bvharris']Bottom line: If you want to go for it on 4th down at any point in a game, be prepared to defend the decision in here. If you don't think it's defensible, it's probably not a good idea to run it.

BSeti's example was a clear-cut example of a time it's perfectly acceptable to go for it. Not every situation is going to be that obvious.[/QUOTE]

Well said....

[quote name='gbpackers94']Hey MA, did/do you go to UNC?[/QUOTE]

Yes sir I DID...graduated May 2010. TAR HEELS!!!!!!

Deuce I'm not willing to give a WHOLE lot for Mallett lol ("extensive negotiations" sounds a little intimidating), but if you take a look at my team can you propose something...

MA, i wouldnt be tryna take AP or nothin lol... i looked thru ur team and nothin really jumped out at me so i guess make an offer and we'll go from there

[quote name='MasterAwesome']Yes sir I DID...graduated May 2010. TAR HEELS!!!!!!
[/QUOTE]

Nice! I want to go there (not as much as I want to go to UVA) but it will be almost impossible as an out of state student. :bomb: Damn regulations!

[quote name='gbpackers94']Nice! I want to go there (not as much as I want to go to UVA) but it will be almost impossible as an out of state student. :bomb: Damn regulations![/QUOTE]

Go live with MA and establish residency! On second thought, that's probably a bad idea. I hear he's a creep. :whistle2:\"

[quote name='gbpackers94']Nice! I want to go there (not as much as I want to go to UVA) but it will be almost impossible as an out of state student. :bomb: Damn regulations![/QUOTE]

Awesome, great school. Got that perfect blend of partying/academics...I still go up there a bunch to visit some of my friends who are still in the area (heading up tomorrow until Sunday if you guys can keep that in mind if my opponent comes posting asking about me). If you get in, we could...ya know...hug and stuff!!!!!! Yeah it's really tough for an out-of-state student, I think triple the money too :( You applying for next year?

And STFU scumbag Doom...you really push my buttons sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='MasterAwesome']Awesome, great school. Got that perfect blend of partying/academics...I still go up there a bunch to visit some of my friends who are still in the area (heading up tomorrow until Sunday if you guys can keep that in mind if my opponent comes posting asking about me). If you get in, we could...ya know...hug and stuff!!!!!! Yeah it's really tough for an out-of-state student, I think triple the money too :( You applying for next year?

And STFU scumbag Doom...you really push my buttons sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

No, I'd be applying for 2013. I went down there for the Louisville/ unc game and the campus was really nice, it pretty much seems like UVA south (with better sports).

[quote name='gbpackers94']No, I'd be applying for 2013.[/QUOTE]

You're coming dangerously close to making some of us feel ancient. ;)

So did we decide when we're shooting for in terms of advancement?

[quote name='bvharris']You're coming dangerously close to making some of us feel ancient. ;)[/QUOTE]

:) The only time I saw Michael Jordan play was when he was on the Wizards. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gbpackers94']:) The only time I saw Michael Jordan play was when he was on the Wizards. :p[/QUOTE]

Lol. I hardly remember him on the Bulls. It pisses a few of my coworkers off... definitely makes them feel 'ancient'

We only have 2 games left. One is vs two users who haven't even joined yet (SIM!!!!) and one is between Man2008 and another guy who hasn't joined (SUB!!!!). I'd love to advance tonight if possible, but that may just be me! My Thurs and Fri are iffy, so that's why I want to try to play my next game tonight.

Remaining Games
Jets vs Cowboys
Seahawks vs Niners

Hey Deuce, all I got to say is....Omri Casspi! Never forget!

@Uber, Man2008 has been ready to play so we may need a sub for that. I'll ask Cru and see. Anyone willing to sub? As for the other game, I have no idea what's up with them. I'm up for simming it though.

Doom, I still have nightmares about him hitting a three over the Dream Team to win the gold medal in the Olympics

[quote name='Superstar']I can sub if needed.[/QUOTE]

Er sorry I can't now. A buddy of mine just got out of surgery and we're going to go see him. Sorry!

Cru, looks like we play Week 2. If we advance tomorrow, I can probably play sometime then. If not, Saturday looks good for me.

bread's done
Back