Madden

schuerm26

CAGiversary!
Feedback
122 (99%)
Am I the only one who got this? I don't see any thread anywhere. If anyone else got it what are your initial impressions?

I really like it and it is a MAJOR step up from playing with a normal controller. It actually makes it fun again. Still im not used to it so i find myself thinking about what i need to do and it really slows me down.

1 aspect im not a fan of is the kicking. I get it right 100% of the time in practice but still find myself getting punts and kickoffs with 0 power somehow. Not sure what i am doing wrong but it's really annoying. Overall it is a very good game in my opinion and with a little time put into it next years should really be special.

I got it and I love it. I totally agree - from my own playing and from watching other people play, this could (and SHOULD) change the way console football is played.

There is a definite learning curve after having spent so many years playing one way, though. But even as you are learning and progressing, it's fun - like when you really start to time your jukes right and learn the nuances of flicking your right wrist at the right time to get a key stiff arm, etc...it's so much more satisfying and fun.

You clearly CLEARLY get into it much more so than normal. I did, and I watched three other people who did as well.

I don't think I can ever go back to a standard gamepad...this is just too immersive and fun, the next best thing to being Mike Vick on the field yourself!

Like I said in the other thread, Ill wait for next years version since this was the first version im sure it will need some polish in some areas that it will get next time around.

This game is the best. It's as if these crazy controllers were made for this type of game. Yeah it lacks some polish but it's still damn great.

RC

Like a bulimic girl in a buffet?

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']When this is online, oh god I'll be buying this so fast that like...*insert something crazy here*[/quote]

I have been playing football games since the Atari, and this is the best football game ever made period. I liked it yesterday when I played a few games. Today I have the controls down and have never enjoyed a game more. I can complete plays that I never could before. Everything that happens you feel that you 100% did, lift your hands up make an incredible interception. If they add online gaming for Wii sports games, i will be buying all sports game for the Wii over the 360. Never dreamed I'd say that. IGN also mentioned having trouble with kicking, I cant understand that I have never screwed up a kick yet, it seems idiot proof. Make sure to hit A, and wait for the power meter to come on the screen, then lift the remote upwards.

i love this game, me and my bro where playing it for like 5 hours, and he hasn't regularly played video games since syphon filter. he actually wants one these bad. so looks like Nintendo got one back.

The wii is going to become a serious system for sports games. I can't wait until the first full fledged baseball game. Hockey should be great also.

I opened up my copy of Madden tonight when my brother came over. We played both the YAC Attack and 2 on 2. Had a blast! Didn't touch any single player or an actual full length game. We went back to Wii Sports so the women could play with us... Really need two more remotes/nunchuks to make Madden a really good party game.

This is the FIRST itteration of Madden that I've ever been interested in, but I can't bring myself to pay $50 for a Madden game. I'll just wait till January when it drops to like $15 before I pick it up.

The passing controls melt in your hand. The first time I did an offensive practice and dropped back to pass and threw to a receiver was unbelievable. It felt entirely right.

[quote name='thespamofpower']This is the FIRST itteration of Madden that I've ever been interested in, but I can't bring myself to pay $50 for a Madden game. I'll just wait till January when it drops to like $15 before I pick it up.[/quote]

I'm not sure if the $15 off coupons are still active, but if they are, you can get it from the eastore for $35

[quote name='fldash']I opened up my copy of Madden tonight when my brother came over. We played both the YAC Attack and 2 on 2. Had a blast! Didn't touch any single player or an actual full length game. We went back to Wii Sports so the women could play with us... Really need two more remotes/nunchuks to make Madden a really good party game.[/quote]Is it possible to play with three players? I'm only going to have three remotes for my party this weekend. I could get a 4th and then return it afterwards in preparation for Wii Play in January, but don't know if I want to go through that hassle.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']When this is online, oh god I'll be buying this so fast that like...*insert something crazy here*[/quote]

Its gonna be online? If so I'll definitely run out and get a copy once I obtain a Wii... this version is supposed to be far superior to the crappy 360/PS3 versions.

[quote name='Rozz']Its gonna be online? If so I'll definitely run out and get a copy once I obtain a Wii... this version is supposed to be far superior to the crappy 360/PS3 versions.[/quote]

Probably have to wait for Madden 2008 for online.

I got it launch day and I am loving it. This is the most fun I have had with a football game since Nfl 2k at the dreamcast launch. I recommend everyone with a Wii to get it.

[quote name='botticus']Is it possible to play with three players? I'm only going to have three remotes for my party this weekend. I could get a 4th and then return it afterwards in preparation for Wii Play in January, but don't know if I want to go through that hassle.[/QUOTE]

I would buy the used controller from you if you want after this weekend pm me.

[quote name='schuerm26']Hockey should be great also.[/QUOTE]

I've been saying this for a while... i really can't wait for a hockey game on here... I want a goalie mode too, where you control the goalie from behind the mask and use your wiimote to make stick and glove saves, that would be amazing(especially cuz i play goalie)

I'm glad to see the reviews for this game are so good, I might have to go pick this one up

Am i the only one on who is getting driven absolutely insane by the kicking in this game? I do that exact same thing and sometimes i get 100% power other times 0% power. I have been through practice over and over and this same thing keeps happening. What in the hell am i doing wrong?

[quote name='schuerm26']Am i the only one on who is getting driven absolutely insane by the kicking in this game? I do that exact same thing and sometimes i get 100% power other times 0% power. I have been through practice over and over and this same thing keeps happening. What in the hell am i doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

nothing, thats one of the problems IGN highlighted with the game.

[quote name='schuerm26']Am i the only one on who is getting driven absolutely insane by the kicking in this game? I do that exact same thing and sometimes i get 100% power other times 0% power. I have been through practice over and over and this same thing keeps happening. What in the hell am i doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

Several people have had problems and IGN mentioned it. For what its worth, I've played the practice, the training camp, and 5 or 6 full games and never had one problem. I think people might be doing the lift controller too early or too late. Wait till the power meter shows on the screen and lift the controller up with quite a bit of power and you will kick 90% to 100% power every single time.

[quote name='brainstorm']I've been saying this for a while... i really can't wait for a hockey game on here... I want a goalie mode too, where you control the goalie from behind the mask and use your wiimote to make stick and glove saves, that would be amazing(especially cuz i play goalie)

I'm glad to see the reviews for this game are so good, I might have to go pick this one up[/quote]

Imagine the stick control from the 360 version of NHL, but with the Wiimote :drool:

Does anyone who has the game know if it has widescreen? Like actually being able to see more of the field to the left and right, not just stretching the image. I'm thinking about getting this game but I've gotten used to widescreen sports games.

Finally opened this today. I definitely suck, but it looks like it could be fun. The only real complaint I have right now is the menu navigation is a pain in the ass with the remote. The cursor just lags horribly, and the menu options are too close together.

Does anyone else find it absolutely amazing that the general conensus in a lot of the gaming press is that this is the best version of Madden this generation? People kind of chuckled at the idea of this game on the Wii pre-launch, myself included (and I don't even own a PS2, PS3, or 360). And yet everyone says it's the most fun they've had playing video game football since Tecmo Bowl. Damn.

Yep, this is the best madden in years. And it will be completely overlooked because the Wii doesn't exactly appeal to the typical madden buyer (asshole jock who thinks PS3 is the koolest cause he heard so)

[quote name='jer7583']And it will be completely overlooked because the Wii doesn't exactly appeal to the typical madden buyer (asshole jock who thinks PS3 is the koolest cause he heard so)[/QUOTE]

That's what MAKES it the koolest. :D

[quote name='Tybee']Does anyone else find it absolutely amazing that the general conensus in a lot of the gaming press is that this is the best version of Madden this generation? People kind of chuckled at the idea of this game on the Wii pre-launch, myself included (and I don't even own a PS2, PS3, or 360). And yet everyone says it's the most fun they've had playing video game football since Tecmo Bowl. Damn.[/quote]Really the only thing it's missing is online. Which I always pretend to care about, but I never play games online, though that would probably change if enough CAGs were interested in such things. Luckily the mini-games apparently make up for that. I'll know for sure on Friday when I have people over.

The character models are pretty much GameCube or Xbox, but the rest of the environment has been upgraded a little bit.

I don't really have any interest in football or in sports games, but Madden sounds like it could be fun with the Wii controls. Would a non-sports gamer enjoy it?

I haven't had seen any non-sports gamers play it, but I imagine they MIGHT have an easier time with it than those of us who have been conditioned for 10+ years, year after year, to play one way. However, if you don't enjoy football, then the controls alone probably won't make the game a winner - it's not pick-up-and-play like the Wii Sports games are. The controls alone don't make the game fun, but rather, the controls make the game so much incredibly more immersive than ever before - and if you're into football, you'll totally appreciate it. So I'd wager you would enjoy it if you're a casual/hardcore sports fan but not much of a sports gamer...but if you don't care much for the sports at all, I don't know.

I'm still having a hell of time getting defense down. I'm getting there, but it's tough - I keep reverting back to some of the old button-mashing motions instead of remembering which gesture to make (such as when I'm trying to swim past a blocker) but it's getting close to feeling natural.

One thing's for sure - I think Madden 08, barring any weird glitches or whatever, will probably find its best version on Wii and will probably be the greatest football game of all time - especially for those of us who will have several months worth of Madden 07 to re-condition our minds for video game football playing.

You guys are making me want to spend 50 bucks i dont have for this game... haha

Glad to see its getting good reviews on here though

[quote name='schuerm26']Am i the only one on who is getting driven absolutely insane by the kicking in this game? I do that exact same thing and sometimes i get 100% power other times 0% power. I have been through practice over and over and this same thing keeps happening. What in the hell am i doing wrong?[/quote]

I have no trouble kicking or passing, but my son could never get the passes right until I figured out what he was doing wrong. Kicking might be the same way... You must hold the controller "flat." I don't know how else to describe it, but the easiest way to explain it is hold the controller with the A button towards the TV (like Wii Sports bowling), then make a sweeping motion up with the buttons "flat" facing the screen. My son was holding the controller at various angles and it didn't work consistently. Once I observed him and showed him this, then he had no problems kicking or throwing. You might want to try that. The timing is also somewhat important, and you don't want to raise your arm too high. A quick, fluid motion is best, stopping about parallel with the floor or maybe just a bit more. I made a 45 yard field goal with no problem. I think the "flatness" is the key. If I didn't explain that well enough, let me know and I can try again. The only problem I have with the game is the timing for catches and interceptions. Sometimes I can do it, but usually I just let the computer do it.

bread's done
Back