MadWorld - $29.99 NEW at GameStop starting this Friday

earvcunanan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
300 (100%)
One of the "cool" GameStop employees I always talk to when I'm there told me that they'll be selling MadWorld for $29.99 brand new starting this Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
its not made by nintendo no one on the wii cares what they should do or most likely wiill do is port it 2 the ps2 to try and break even if nothing else

I'll buy it when there's another B2G1 free as there's a few other used games around the same 24.99ish price that I'm looking at getting.

thanks for the info on the price drop OP

I do hope that this is true and that GS advertises it. If so, I'll be price matching at BB on Sunday at their event to get an extra $10 off then use a GC I have to knock off another $10.

$10 for Madworld?? Hell yes!

[quote name='earvcunanan']GameStop only guts one copy of each game to use as display. They're bound to have sealed copies, but I prefer the used mint/complete ones so I can use my Edge. I'm such a cheap-ass. ;)[/QUOTE]

I didn't think that "used" and "mint" ever happened together at GameStop. Never has in my experience, anyway -- every time I've gone to buy a used game at GameStop, it's turned out to be scratched to all hell. I gave up on even looking at the used games there.

[quote name='earvcunanan']GameStop only guts one copy of each game to use as display. They're bound to have sealed copies, but I prefer the used mint/complete ones so I can use my Edge. I'm such a cheap-ass. ;)[/QUOTE]

Apparently my Gamestops didn't get the memo. They like to fill up the shelves with 5 - 10 guts per game title (especially the bigger ones).

I paid full price for this one and only ended up playing the first few levels. I liked the concept but the game just didn't grab me. Probably would have enjoyed it more had it been on 360 with achievements and no motion controls. :D

[quote name='disillusion386']I do hope that this is true and that GS advertises it. If so, I'll be price matching at BB on Sunday at their event to get an extra $10 off then use a GC I have to knock off another $10.

$10 for Madworld?? Hell yes![/QUOTE]

They will not let you price match and get the $10 off. Even if you get the most accommodating CSR in the world, the price match would drop it to $29.99, but the $10 off deal requires it to be $39.99 or more.

Turns out after looking at my receipt that I got this for free at the last B2G1 deal. This really is a mint copy. Looks like the person played it once and never touched it again. This is a tough decision since MadWorld is fetching a $20 TIV. Do I keep or do I not keep? If the coupon of the week is a Ps3 one I'm going to have trade it in. It can give me $25 with the promo. At least I've got the rest of the day to decide. I really hope this price drop is true.

[quote name='earvcunanan']It flopped in sales -- only 66,000 sold in the US on a 20-something million Wii install-base.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't surprise me. Really... of that 20 million base, how many are HARDCORE gamers?

I just don't see how you can sell Madworld to the grandma's and little sisters of America. Kudos for the attempt at treating the Wii like a legitimate system for enthusiasts like us, but... yeah. Incoming Epic Fail.

Still, I'm not complaining about the price drop. I wonder if I should buy now or wait for the inevitable drop to $20? :lol:

wow, that was fast.
will probably pick it up at that price but my backlog is so full lol :(
maybe it will drop down more in price.

[quote name='AwRy108']Yeah, I want to know this, too. $30 may sound cheap, but considering the game is like 5 hours long, the value sorta goes out the window.[/QUOTE]

People, people, people....

If you calculate the value of a game based on it's time, please stop buying anything but MMO's, because nothing matches the worth those offer.

Seriously, stop equating $/hour ratios. 5 hours with a game that's fun is much better than 50 hours with a game that's boring. And in case you're not sure, MadWorld is fun.

Anyway, because of it's terrible sales, I would caution really CAG's to wait another month or two. It's either going to drop to 20, or be really hard to find. But if you haven't picked it up yet, I'd wager that you weren't that interested to begin with. So what's risk is there if it does disappear off of shelves?

[quote name='guessed']They will not let you price match and get the $10 off. Even if you get the most accommodating CSR in the world, the price match would drop it to $29.99, but the $10 off deal requires it to be $39.99 or more.[/QUOTE]

Oh shit I'm dumb. That's twice in two days that I've made an asshat of myself. Yeah that deal is only for $39.99 and over games only. Woops.

[quote name='Nameless One']People, people, people....

If you calculate the value of a game based on it's time, please stop buying anything but MMO's, because nothing matches the worth those offer.

Seriously, stop equating $/hour ratios. 5 hours with a game that's fun is much better than 50 hours with a game that's boring.[/QUOTE]

Except MMO's charge monthly fees, so you end up paying more in the long run. I don't think anyone is suggesting that a 50 hour boring game is better than a 5 hour fun one. Who is going to spend 50 hours playing a game that they don't like? Both level of enjoyment and duration figure into the value of a game. For a 5 hour game to be worth $30, it has to be very good for those 5 hours. A 20 hour game would not need to be as consistently good to be worth $30, but it would still need to be good to be worth anything. A 1 hour game would have to be absolutely amazing for me to even consider dropping $30 on it.

[quote name='earvcunanan']It flopped in sales -- only 66,000 sold in the US on a 20-something million Wii install-base.[/QUOTE]

So that 95% Wii games which are total garbage -- those are the big-sellers on the Wii? So will this mean less "MadWorld" and more "Bunny Rabbit's Sunshine Fun Time Wii Virtual Pancake Making Simulator"?

[quote name='Indiana Jones']So that 95% Wii games which are total garbage -- those are the big-sellers on the Wii? So will this mean less "MadWorld" and more "Bunny Rabbit's Sunshine Fun Time Wii Virtual Pancake Making Simulator"?[/QUOTE]

Is that the sequel to "BRSFT: Wii Fishing and Curling"? Both sound like winners to me, providing they are both 50 hours long, of course.

[quote name='guessed']Except MMO's charge monthly fees, so you end up paying more in the long run. I don't think anyone is suggesting that a 50 hour boring game is better than a 5 hour fun one. Who is going to spend 50 hours playing a game that they don't like? Both level of enjoyment and duration figure into the value of a game. For a 5 hour game to be worth $30, it has to be very good for those 5 hours. A 20 hour game would not need to be as consistently good to be worth $30, but it would still need to be good to be worth anything. A 1 hour game would have to be absolutely amazing for me to even consider dropping $30 on it.[/QUOTE]

People play MMO's for thousands of hours (One guy's X-Fire has his WoW being played for over 3000 hours. Calculate that out to the 4 years he's been playing and you'll find it's the best deal around if you're looking for $/hour.

20 hour game better be just as fun as that 5 hour game otherwise neitehr are worth 50 or 60 to me. Fun is fun, you shouldn't look at a game and say well that's only X amount of hours so it's worth X amount to me. Do you do that with movies? Because the movie theater's gonna charge you the same whether is 90 minutes or 140 minutes long.

I'm just trying to say, don't apply a sense of worth to a title based solely on it's length, but instead it's entertainment. If a game is short you can go through it multiple times too (and if it's fun you will).

think about a regular movie.. which is only 2 hours and you end up paying 10 bucks for.. that's appx. 5 bucks an hour..

therefore, for a videogame to be "worth it" you would need to have a game that lasts at least 12 hours (for a 60 game) or 10 hours (for a wii game)

However, madworld at 30... lasts 6 hours... and is comparable to a movie experience

BUT REMEMBER!!!

videogames give you replay... i cant count the amount of times i went back to good games made by these people from the now defunct clover studios (viewtiful joe, god hand, and OF COURSE devil may cry)

I bought this game when it came out and really enjoyed it. Gameplay, plot and dialogue were a blast.
When I was younger, I had plenty of time, but not much money. As I have gotten older, time is more precious. Those games that offer a tight, enjoyable experience I find more fun that those "longer" games that have lots of useless padding. Rpgs, especially, if I distilled some of those down to purely the moments of playable entertainment, would probably clock in around 6-10 hours.

[quote name='Nameless One']People play MMO's for thousands of hours (One guy's X-Fire has his WoW being played for over 3000 hours. Calculate that out to the 4 years he's been playing and you'll find it's the best deal around if you're looking for $/hour.[/QUOTE]
All right sir, I will.

Assuming he bought everything at launch, but no collector's editions, that's $50 for the game, $40 for each expansion, total of $130. $15/month times 48 months is $720, for a total of $850. For 3000 hours, that's 28 cents per hour. If he got the games today, at $40 for the base game and first expansion and $40 for Lich, that's $80, plus $720, total $800, 27 cents per hour.

A used copy of Dragon Quest 8 is $10 for 80 hours, or 13 cents per hour.

I'm at work and bored.

[quote name='mkelehan']All right sir, I will.

Assuming he bought everything at launch, but no collector's editions, that's $50 for the game, $40 for each expansion, total of $130. $15/month times 48 months is $720, for a total of $850. For 3000 hours, that's 28 cents per hour. If he got the games today, at $40 for the base game and first expansion and $40 for Lich, that's $80, plus $720, total $800, 27 cents per hour.

A used copy of Dragon Quest 8 is $10 for 80 hours, or 13 cents per hour.

I'm at work and bored.[/QUOTE]

Chances are someone that hardcore doesn't pay $15 a month. If you are billed every 3 months or by the year there are some discounts available.

Bah! Math.

Still not getting it right now. I'd rather get GTA Chinatown Wars, a game that lasts longer than an afternoon. I was really looking forward to MadWorld, but once I heard how short it was, no way I was willing to pay much at all for it. I will still definitely play it at some point, but I'm all about making every penny worth it, and other games that suit that criteria are calling right now.

[quote name='bb4lake']Everyone complains about the lack of good third party games but this is how we treat them when they come out.[/QUOTE]
Well, maybe once they start releasing good third party games for the Wii, we can buy them. Madworld doesn't count.

no more heroes : great 3rd party game
resident evil 4: GREAt game (i know...port)
Capcom vs. tatsunoko: Great game (i know... import)
Zack and Wiki : Great game (i know... it could KINDA count as shovel ware)
Traume Center 1 & 2 : Great games
Boom Blox: great game (Severely underrated)
World of goo: great game (can't even complain about this)
OKami: (Port...)

What the hell is a core game anyway? Does it have to be M rated to qualify? Is that the only requirement? Some times it seems so. I suspect that if they released a bean bag toss game with decapitations, the "core" crowd would call it a great game.

Come to think of it, the game of bean bag toss has a lot more going for it then many so-called core games, so this probably wouldn't be a bad idea....

Bunny Rabbit's Sunshine Fun Time Wii Virtual Pancake Making Simulator
I'm in for this, bunnies making pancakes is the most awesome awesomeness ever, throw in the sunshine fun time and how can you loose. The only thing better would be if those Petz people made a shovel ware game with monkeys and spelled it Monkeyz. Oh wait a minute...

*scans game supply and other valuable assets lying around the house*

These developers must be supported. Somehow I'm gonna scrape up 30 bucks this week.

[quote name='disillusion386']If anybody's interested, the used version of this game is now $26.99 on the GS website. Not sure if it will be the same at the store if the price drop hasn't been implemented yet. If it is though, then there's still time to use the 20% off coupon. With EDGE, that's around $19.

EDIT: Confirmed http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5858904&postcount=134[/QUOTE]

Shit...Wish I seen this earlier today...oh well by the time the next 20% off wii games rolls around this game may drop even further...

Used Online Total with Edge, Cag16, Tax and Saver Shipping to California is $22.19

Eventhough the final price is not over $25, shipping is free with code SAVER since the price of the game before discounts is above $25.

[quote name='WuGgaRoO']
Zack and Wiki : Great game (i know... it could KINDA count as shovel ware)
[/QUOTE]

Why would Zak & Wiki even approach 'shovelware'? The game has an interesting story, clever puzzles, and a unique style. While I dont think Capcom spent multi-millions developing the title, the game is fully featured and doesnt scream "budget title".

[quote name='crunchychewy'] What the hell is a core game anyway? Does it have to be M rated to qualify? Is that the only requirement? Some times it seems so. I suspect that if they released a bean bag toss game with decapitations, the "core" crowd would call it a great game. [/quote]

Funny thing is, some core "mature" series like Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Resident Evil have fairly well recieved Wii iterations (on Metacritc MoH:Heroes 2= 73, CoD:WaW=83, RE:UC=75) But I think ppl like to discount these and the like because they rather play an HD version on the PS360 or they hate the motion controls. Well sorry, the Wii dont do HD and is all about the waggle.

Basically, when it comes to "mature" on the Wii, to paraphrase Bart Simpson 'They're damned if they do, and damned if they dont.:bomb:

Madworld is awesome.. I love the style of the game one of my favorites on Wii reminds me of Sin City/Gears of War with chainsaw gameplay..

Oh please. Look at the sales figures for RE4, or NMH (Might not be insanely good, but when you consider the game's incredibly niche appeal and the fact that it's the first Suda51 game to get a sequel, that's not bad at all). MadWorld is a niche game (beat'em ups, black and white), from a niche developer (Clover/Platinum), with bugs (I've heard multiple stories about it crashing, and complaints about the camera and lockon), and an incredibly short runtime. It's repetitive, makes liberal usage of waggle, and lacks depth. The only real appeal it has is stylistically, and while it's certainly interesting there, that brings it down to a very small amount of gamers who would actually buy it, especially for MSRP.

Personally, I was interested in MadWorld, but I cannot justify $50, or even $30, for a game that manages to become repetative within 6-8 hours, and that's as long as it lasts. When I don't have such a backlog, and it drops under $20, I'll almost certainly pick it up. It's not that hardcore games have no base on Wii, it's that a lot of the core base on Wii just doesn't want MadWorld.

Madworld is a game that definitely doesn't appeal to everyone. For me, a 27 yo gamer, it was a great, albeit short, experience. The character designs are phenomenal, especially the mini boss and boss characters. I definitely think this should have debuted at a $29.99 or $39.99 price tag because of its length. But I would rather play 5 hours of a really fun game than 20 of a game that is repetitive in nature. My 2 cents

Does Gamestop usually have paper ads laying around? Id like to grab one and pricematch at bestbuy where I have some reward zone credit.

[quote name='jalu6']Does Gamestop usually have paper ads laying around? Id like to grab one and pricematch at bestbuy where I have some reward zone credit.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

My question is . . . How's the replayability of it? Does it provide any reason to go back and play it again? I don't really mind a five-hour game that I'll want to play multiple times. But if it's something that I'll be done with after playing it through only once, I'm not as sure about it.

Seriously, stop equating $/hour ratios. 5 hours with a game that's fun is much better than 50 hours with a game that's boring. And in case you're not sure, MadWorld is fun.[/QUOTE]

That would be all well and good if all of the 50 hour games out there were boring -- but that's not the case. There are more games out there that I want to play than I have the time or the money for; therefore, it is necessary to set some criteria to determine which of those games will get my time and money, and which will get passed over. While it's certainly not the only factor, I don't see why there's anything wrong with setting play time as a criterion. Obviously a good game that I'll get 50 hours out of (or, for that matter, a good game that I'll get 10 hours out of) is worth more to me than one that'll only last for 5, other considerations notwithstanding. So, uh, what's your point again?

[quote name='arcane93']Obviously a good game that I'll get 50 hours out of (or, for that matter, a good game that I'll get 10 hours out of) is worth more to me than one that'll only last for 5, other considerations notwithstanding. So, uh, what's your point again?[/QUOTE]

That's not obvious to me at all. I think a game should be just as long as its story / premise requires. Good games can be too long too -- even if every minute is fun, if the extra minutes and hours aren't in the service of the story / premise, the game is too long.

I think the main reason gamers have come to care so much about game length is that $50-60 is a lot to shell out at one time (for most people). When you go to see a movie at the theater, is length of the movie a consideration? No, right? I don't know anyone who chooses a longer movie over a shorter one because it's longer. With games, I just wait until the game is cheap enough that ($10-20) that I'm happy to pay for a good experience, regardless of length -- same as with movies.

I may be in the minority on this though, because I definitely think most games are too long, with too much extraneous stuff put in there to pad the length for marketing purposes.

[quote name='illennium']That's not obvious to me at all. I think a game should be just as long as its story / premise requires. Good games can be too long too -- even if every minute is fun, if the extra minutes and hours aren't in the service of the story / premise, the game is too long.[/QUOTE]

Again, I specified a good game. A game that puts in hours of filler for the sake of filler generally isn't good (filler becomes obvious and boring pretty quickly); one that keeps me entertained for all of those hours is. I'm having a hard time understanding your point here -- "even if every minute is fun [...] the game is too long"? If I'm enjoying every minute I spend with the game, then what does it matter if the game is long, or if it sticks rigidly to a story? Last I checked, my entire point to playing games was to have fun. If I'm having fun, then I've achieved my goal, and to me 50 hours of fun is more value for my investment than 5 hours of fun. I guess if you're more worried about sticking tightly to the story than you are about having fun, then more power to you.

[quote name='illennium']I think the main reason gamers have come to care so much about game length is that $50-60 is a lot to shell out at one time (for most people). When you go to see a movie at the theater, is length of the movie a consideration? No, right? I don't know anyone who chooses a longer movie over a shorter one because it's longer. With games, I just wait until the game is cheap enough that ($10-20) that I'm happy to pay for a good experience, regardless of length -- same as with movies.[/QUOTE]

The movie length argument is flawed due to scale. You're right, I'm not going to consider the length of a movie as much, because in the majority cases we're talking a half hour of difference, an hour at most. 5 hours vs. 50 hours, though (and I don't even know where this 50 hour number is coming from -- it seems to me that most non-RPG games fall more in the 10-20 hour range, but still) is a much more significant difference.

On the other hand, if we really must use the movie length comparison -- if there are two movies that you want to see equally in every other way, but one is an hour and twenty minutes long, and the other is two hours long, are you really telling me that length isn't going to be a factor in which you choose to see? No, of course it's not the primary concern, but it still does become a factor in making your choice.

And yes, with a $10-20 game, I'm less concerned with length. Once it starts getting into the $30 range that we're talking here, though, it becomes more of a consideration. Again, that multiple factors thing that I mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Game length should not be the sole reason in purchasing, but it should definitely be a factor along with quality, replayability, etc. Unless the game in consideration is a "must-play" by my standards, there's no point in me dropping $30 on it when it could easily drop to $20 in a month or so. When this game was announced, I was mildly interested, but seeing as I have a backlog I can wait and maybe get this cheaper down the line. I would probably be angry at myself if I played this game at release with the $50 price tag, be done with it in an afternoon, and hear about a price drop in 2 month's time.

[quote name='arcane93'] The movie length argument is flawed due to scale. You're right, I'm not going to consider the length of a movie as much, because in the majority cases we're talking a half hour of difference, an hour at most. 5 hours vs. 50 hours, though (and I don't even know where this 50 hour number is coming from -- it seems to me that most non-RPG games fall more in the 10-20 hour range, but still) is a much more significant difference. [/QUOTE]

Another flaw of the movie argument is that all movies released at theaters regardless of length is priced the same. It's not like older releases get price drops weeks after their release.

great price, i should support this game and get it now, but im a CAG and im going to keep waitin till it has a 19.99 promotion. I waited till No More Heroes was $19.99 before I picked it up and it's still wrapped in plastic after several months. too backlogged.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Madworld raised my bullcrap alarms, so I never ended up buying it. Fortunately, I did get a chance to complete it.

My bullcrap alarms were well-founded, as usual. Madworld is terribly short (The game time clocks 4 hours, but that only counts in-level playtime that doesn't count restarts. So the game itself probably lasts 6-ish.). It is terribly repetitive. The brawler combat is abysmal... all you end up really doing is just picking up mooks and throwing them onto insta-kills, sometimes chaining your weapon uses for more score. The bosses are decent but completely unmemorable. The scoring system ensures that you will not come back to try to get a higher score because to play for score goes against most of the fun of the game.

In its defense, Greg Proops and John Dimaggio voice a pair of absolutely hilarious commentators with excellent rapport and, a rarity, turning a few of their almost ridiculously repeated phrases into a well-done running gag once or twice, (I cracked up in the final battle and a bit before when the hundredth or so reprise of the same routine ended differently.) but even with their indefensible repetition of the same phrases, they are so hilarious as to be worth the price of admission.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this--you just sold me on waiting for the $20 price point. It's good to hear some honest, well-written impressions once in awhile.

Seriously, stop equating $/hour ratios. 5 hours with a game that's fun is much better than 50 hours with a game that's boring. And in case you're not sure, MadWorld is fun.

Anyway, because of it's terrible sales, I would caution really CAG's to wait another month or two. It's either going to drop to 20, or be really hard to find. But if you haven't picked it up yet, I'd wager that you weren't that interested to begin with. So what's risk is there if it does disappear off of shelves?[/QUOTE]

Hey, seeing as I'm not Donald Trump, here's how I look at things: I can get games like Saints Row 2, Fallout 3, Sacred 2, etc. for $60 or less and get hundreds of FUN gameplay hours out of them; or, I can spend $30 on Madworld and have 5 hours of fun.

Sure, if I was forcing myself to play some shitty game for 60 hours because I got it for $10, then I'd be an idiot and there's no point in even having this discussion; or, if I was Bill-freekin'-Gates and my level of disposable income is enough to buy a few countries, then I would've grabbed this on day one for $50.

That said, I'm sure Madworld a game that I would enjoy. But I'm also certain that, when stacked up against titles that offer a much larger FUN/$ ratio, I can hold off on it until it hits $20.

It blows my mind when people get all "it's a great game, so overpay for it and support the developer" about our industry. Look, the corporate entities WANT you to think like this, so your passion blinds your reason. Last time I checked, just because a title didn't sell over 250k copies, the gaming industry suddenly went into a creative recession. In fact, Madworld is the pefect example of this: it's a "hardcore" game developed solely for a platform that isn't able to move these kind of games; but the project got green-lighted anyways, because it was a corporate financial decision that the game was cheap to make and was worth the risk.

Gamers aren't afraid to spend money, but they also aren't afraid to speak with it: if Madworld sold poorly, there's a reason for it. My assumption is, it was on the wrong console, and it was too expensive for its length, especially in a world of Bethesda RPG's and the like. Deal with it.

Me, well, I'll have just as much with the game as you did; but I'll also have an extra $30 in my wallet to spend on some more fun :)

[quote name='hostyl1']Why would Zak & Wiki even approach 'shovelware'? The game has an interesting story, clever puzzles, and a unique style. While I dont think Capcom spent multi-millions developing the title, the game is fully featured and doesnt scream "budget title".

Hmmm.... Shovelware is too harsh of. A word... I just guess the use of the wiimote could be considered gimmicky?

bread's done
Back