MAG - PS3 $53.99 FS from Buy.com

Good pre-order deal, OP.

Not sure why SONY decided to launch this so soon after Modern Warfare 2--I don't see many people being ready to drop Call of Duty to play this one just yet. Hopefully there's a plan for MAG to have a long tail.

Nice find but I have a feeling MAG will drop quickly in price especially after BC:BF2 is released.

It's a Zipper game, it'll have a big community. Not only that but it seems alot of people are looking forward to this. Myself, I've been waiting for it for 2 years.

I downloaded the beta but never got around to trying the actual game. The concept is pretty impressive and I am intrigued, but not at full price. I'll wait for the game to come down, hopefully some early adopters and reviews can push me in the right direction.

[quote name='AwRy108']Good pre-order deal, OP.

Not sure why SONY decided to launch this so soon after Modern Warfare 2--I don't see many people being ready to drop Call of Duty to play this one just yet. Hopefully there's a plan for MAG to have a long tail.[/QUOTE]

People are still playing COD4. People will still be playing MW2 in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. I wouldn't have delayed it because of MW2, I would have done so because it needs a ton of polishing. The game looks terrible and gameplay is pretty subpar by today's standards.

What about the gameplay and presentation is so subpar?

I wasnt planning on picking this up (Battlefield recruit since 1942 and present in all campaigns except Vietnam, though I did a stint in Eve of Destruction) until I saw some recent trailers and battle footage. To me it looks like it delivers by being more accessible than Socom, yet still maintains the reliance on tactics. It also looks to deliver on the true large scale conflict feel, I have yet to find in another title. It seems to fulfill the promise the early days with battles in El Alamein, where the scale was correct but the population was too sparse. At this point Im thinking of picking this up for the multi, though I may still get Bad Company 2 for the single player.

I enjoyed the beta. In a game like this the graphics really aren't the point. I don't think you can expect a game to support so many people in one map and still have MW2-like graphics.
Anyways, I thought the 256-player matches were awesome. Nothing like parachuting down with around 2 dozen other people and cutting a line through the enemy's defenses.

I had this in my Amazon Goldbox yesterday (I think it was also $54) and it comes with a $10 giftcard.

...I was tempted, but I didn't bite. To me, Online Only games are not worth retail and I wasn't blown away by the closed beta. (maybe it got better in the open beta. I didn't care enough to see) The scale was there, but the combat was kinda meh.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I don't play COD, but nice defensive post...

Did you enjoy the beta Judo?[/QUOTE]Actually I loved the beta, was in it back in august.

btw my post was a bit uncalled for, I play MW2 but lately I havn't been able to stand putting the disc in. Waiting for MAG.

When i played the beta, I didn't really feel the scale they were hyping up. I mean it's not like you're seeing 256 people on the battlefield at any given time. You're still playing a regular sized match (I forget how many total). So that's really no excuse for the visuals to look so dated.

Aside from the visuals, the maps themselves didn't seem that great. The environments were rather generic to me. the guns also felt kind of toyish too. The way they shot and the sounds it made. Finally, the objectives weren't really fun at all. I didn't play every single group (just RAVEN, and one other), but the ones I did, it was basically a capture the flag objective which got old quickly. I'm sure the hardcore SOCOM fans probably enjoyed this one more, but I just feel it needs a bit more polish for my tastes. I really did want to enjoy it though :/

I'm personally more of a Battlefield fan btw.

To me it felt like Socom in first person. And I was addicted to Socom along time ago. Idk, if you feel that way that's just the way it is. But I've been wanting a good online ps3 game and nothing has really given that to me yet.

[quote name='ssjmichael']When i played the beta, I didn't really feel the scale they were hyping up. I mean it's not like you're seeing 256 people on the battlefield at any given time. You're still playing a regular sized match (I forget how many total). So that's really no excuse for the visuals to look so dated.

Aside from the visuals, the maps themselves didn't seem that great. The environments were rather generic to me. the guns also felt kind of toyish too. The way they shot and the sounds it made. Finally, the objectives weren't really fun at all. I didn't play every single group (just RAVEN, and one other), but the ones I did, it was basically a capture the flag objective which got old quickly. I'm sure the hardcore SOCOM fans probably enjoyed this one more, but I just feel it needs a bit more polish for my tastes. I really did want to enjoy it though :/

I'm personally more of a Battlefield fan btw.[/QUOTE]

I think you didn't get a chance to play one of the 256-player matches. They put in a new requirement in the open beta and you get stuck in the really boring 64 player sabotage missions where all you do is defend or capture 3 objectives until you reach level 10.
The larger matches are much more fun, especially if you have a competent squad leader. The objectives can range from blowing up vehicles, destroying bunkers, or repairing mortar batteries depending on what your squad leader chooses to assign. The main objectives are to seize or defend a set of pumps deep in your main base, which are made a lot easier if other objectives are taken out first. Leadership can also call in artillery strikes, UAVs, or jam the opposing faction's radar to help you.

Also, Raven really sucks :lol:
Don't pick them, ever. I don't know why, but Raven seems to be the most incompetent faction in terms of...everything. I picked Raven in the closed beta and nobody was working together or even seemed like they knew how to shoot. I picked SVER in the open beta and there was a world of difference. Medics actually revived you instead of standing idly on your body while you bled out. People actually had the repair skill. Instead of running directly into a bunker turret's line of fire, they took it out with an RPG first.

Yeah, what dranawor described sounds more intriguing than what I played. The beta did leave a bad taste in my mouth, as I was excited for it when it was first announced. I'll remain hopeful that there's a lot more to the game than what I played. Not sure if I'll get it at launch, but I'll certainly consider it down the road.

bread's done
Back