Magic: the Gathering and other TCG discussion

Specter Fate

CAGiversary!
If there's already a thread for it I'm not seeing it, so--

Who all is psyched about Scars of Mirrodin, and if you went, what were your favorite cards and combos from pre-release this weekend?

Mine would have to have been Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon and Nim Deathmantle on Til-Jihal, the Fallen. I think I'm going to abuse the infect concept this block.

Dont know much about it myself. But tournament we had at the store today sold out for both booster drafts on a sunday of all days and just after we held 2 pre release booster drafts yesterday as well. Usually we are pretty quiet on sundays except for a couple regulars that wait till sunday to pick up comics and the guys that come play warhammer in the back.

Always wanted to learn how to play but I dont have friends so no one to play games with.

I am excited for the new expansion set. Well I could use some advice from you guys. I just started magic and well I am looking for the easiest way to start building decks. I don't know if I should just start buying packs or consider other options. I personally don't want to buy online, and I don't want to spend more than $25-$30 at a time for cards.

Any good ideas to help get me started?

Thanks

I used to play MTG heavily in my younger days. It has been years though. I haven't really paid attention to anything to do with it the last few years either. Have been really surprised at the number of people I have just randomly run into today that have been really really psyched over SoM since the pre-release this weekend. Looks like it may be a really really good set.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I am excited for the new expansion set. Well I could use some advice from you guys. I just started magic and well I am looking for the easiest way to start building decks. I don't know if I should just start buying packs or consider other options. I personally don't want to buy online, and I don't want to spend more than $25-$30 at a time for cards.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Want to learn how to play? Then buy a red intro pack. It will give you 1 booster pack and a basic deck with 1 special foil and a rule sheet. That will get you started. Then start buying booster packs after you learn how to play to increase your deck with better cards.

Red is just purely damage and its the easiest to start with and learn.

Or this week when the new expansion comes out get you a intro pack and a fat pack. Fatpacks comes with like 8 boosters, spindown counter, rules and some other stuff. A red intro pack and a fat pack will give you more than enough to get started with and give you everything you need to play.

Haven't kept with MTG, kinda been retired for the past couple of months. Just no way I could support playing Magic, Yugioh and have a basic life with work, a fiance and other stuff to do. Hell, only reason I even play YGO right now is because it's self-sustaining and I even profit from it at times.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I am excited for the new expansion set. Well I could use some advice from you guys. I just started magic and well I am looking for the easiest way to start building decks. I don't know if I should just start buying packs or consider other options. I personally don't want to buy online, and I don't want to spend more than $25-$30 at a time for cards.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Research a bit. look around and see what good decks look like and basically copy them. Find out which intro packs are the best and buy one, then figure out what set is good and get the intro pack for that. After that, just dabble in packs here and there. Also, figure out what format of Magic you want to play. Standard is the easy option, as it has the least amount of legal sets and it deals with newer stuff, but your area might be more geared towards the older stuff.

bread's done
Back