Magic The Gathering cards

DM7000

CAGiversary!
So my friends and I recently got back into playing this and unfortunately I can only find a small part of my collection.

Per chance does anyone know where I can get relatively cheap magic cards or if you're selling them offer a reasonable price for them? I've seen amazon sells about 1000 randoms for about 20 or so dollars but ideally i'd love it to be cheaper

I was trying to sell mine a while back but then my friends got back into it too. If I were to sell mine though, I wouldnt be wanting less than $20 like you want to spend. That said, Craigslist and garage sales are the best as Koggit said.

Seems to me that any bunch of "random" cards you buy is going to have anything worthwhile stripped out, except for commons.

Might I suggest that you embrace your situation and play with your friends in a more limited environment. That is, agree to a set number of starters/boosters that each person will buy, add to that as much basic land as you like. After that, no additional outside cards are allowed except by agreement by the group, such as boosters as prizes for house tournaments etc.

Playing draft is another way of getting lots of fun out a relatively small number of cards.

Agreed with craigslist. About a year ago a friend of mine traded a digital camera that cost him 130 for a box.The box had two cards in it worth 70 on their own.

[quote name='m6oo']Seems to me that any bunch of "random" cards you buy is going to have anything worthwhile stripped out, except for commons.

Might I suggest that you embrace your situation and play with your friends in a more limited environment. That is, agree to a set number of starters/boosters that each person will buy, add to that as much basic land as you like. After that, no additional outside cards are allowed except by agreement by the group, such as boosters as prizes for house tournaments etc.

Playing draft is another way of getting lots of fun out a relatively small number of cards.[/QUOTE]

This...awesome idea m6oo.

Instead of getting back into Magic, I'd suggest just getting the game for the Xbox 360. If you have a PS3, they should be putting out the magic game for it this fall (I read this last year). With it's online play free, that should be a good solution to get your magic fix. There is not as much customization and what not but it might be enough and it's certainly much cheaper.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176842

Last edited by a moderator:
MTG for the 360 isn't a bad game, but it's best as a method of delivering puzzles and a teaching tool. The deck customization is abysmal, as it gives you set decks that only let you add more cards from a specific pool, and not subtract. (ie, your deck will always have the lousy cards, and will never be as efficient as you want it to be.)

[quote name='Rasen']MTG for the 360 isn't a bad game, but it's best as a method of delivering puzzles and a teaching tool. The deck customization is abysmal, as it gives you set decks that only let you add more cards from a specific pool, and not subtract. (ie, your deck will always have the lousy cards, and will never be as efficient as you want it to be.)[/QUOTE]

I agree with virtually everything you said but if you play it online, it's still a real game even though you don't have real customization. They aren't letting you have true customization for monetary reasons. They want you to learn it and like it from duels of the planeswalker then move to Magic Online and pay massive amounts of money to play with virtual cards.

Think about it, if they gave you full functionality and all the cards you get, you would have to pay more than $10. To me, as someone that used to play magic from maybe 1994 to 1999 or so, then sold all my cards - it's a great way to play the game without the time or money investment. It's fun, gets your fix and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg but if you're looking for real magic, then play real magic. I simply suggested this as a possible alternative to starting an expensive old new hobby. I'm cheap, that's why I come to CAG.

bread's done
Back