Magna Carta 2 (360) $19.99 at Best Buy B&M YMMV?

Monsta Mack

CAGiversary!
I didn't see it on their website, but I went to Best Buy in Newington, CT while looking for Resonance of Fate and saw they had a stack of Magna Carta 2's for $20.

This is the first time I've seen this game for $20 or less, and I'd highly recommend it.

Lock if this is a old deal, can't recall seeing this posted before.

I've seen it at a few Best Buys as well for that price. I really enjoyed the game plus it's pretty easy to get all of the achievements in it. Just make sure to get the DLC for the game before you start the game.

[quote name='LordVila']I've seen it at a few Best Buys as well for that price. I really enjoyed the game plus it's pretty easy to get all of the achievements in it. Just make sure to get the DLC for the game before you start the game.[/QUOTE]
I've always been interested in this game but never picked it up (though I'll check my best Buy tomorrow). But out of curiosity, why do you recommend buying the DLC beforehand?

It's recommended to get the dlc before hand if you want to get all of the achievements in the game. The dlc contains 2 extra weapons for each character, along with achievements that pertain to collecting every single weapon in the game for them. Also it has 3 extra cutscenes/skits that will net you points just from watching them. The game was a lot of fun, and I believe it was my first RPG that I've completed 100% in a week.

Fantastic my ass. I really hated how the story was told. Reading characters dialogue on screen is just boring as hell. If they had a better way to tell the story, it would be fantastic (cut scenes anyone?). As it stands now, it's just as good as Enchanted Arms IMO.

[quote name='Animekatt']Also it has 3 extra cutscenes/skits that will net you points just from watching them.[/QUOTE]One step closer to them just directly selling achievement points in the Live Marketplace and cutting out the whole "game" thing getting in the way. :roll: I guess they had to do something to justify the price, otherwise people would just watch the cut scenes on youtube.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Fantastic my ass. I really hated how the story was told. Reading characters dialogue on screen is just boring as hell. If they had a better way to tell the story, it would be fantastic (cut scenes anyone?). As it stands now, it's just as good as Enchanted Arms IMO.[/QUOTE]

Agreed -- I don't understand all the praise for this game. Magna Carta 2 is a generic J/KRPG with less-than-mediocre production values (seriously, the whole artwork and dialogue way of telling stories only works if the story is good ... here, all we get are generic characters), cringe-worthy voicework (man, and I thought Wild Arms was bad), and a storyline that's been seen before in practically every ho-hum asian RPG this generation (think Lost Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery -- in fact, it's almost striking how similar the stories are ... )

The battle engine might be a little better and its free of the glitches/slowdown seen in LR but those who claim MC2 is an awesome game must not have actually played great RPGs before because there are definitely far better ones this generation than this one.

In terms of RPGs this gen on the 360, the best ones are Tales of Vesperia, Final Fantasy XIII, and Lost Odyssey. Spend your $20 on one of these games instead. If you don't want to spend $20, get Blue Dragon -- even that is far superior to MC2.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Agreed -- I don't understand all the praise for this game. Magna Carta 2 is a generic J/KRPG with less-than-mediocre production values (seriously, the whole artwork and dialogue way of telling stories only works if the story is good ... here, all we get are generic characters), cringe-worthy voicework (man, and I thought Wild Arms was bad), and a storyline that's been seen before in practically every ho-hum asian RPG this generation (think Lost Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery -- in fact, it's almost striking how similar the stories are ... )

The battle engine might be a little better and its free of the glitches/slowdown seen in LR but those who think MC2 is an awesome game will be greatly disappointed.

In terms of RPGs this gen on the 360, the best ones are Tales of Vesperia, Final Fantasy XIII, and Lost Odyssey. Spend your $20 on one of these games instead.[/QUOTE]
FFXIII? Sure it's an extremely pretty game but still. That game is just so tedious and boring. I'm a die hard RPG fan and I gave up 3/4 the way through the game. The story is all over the place, It's extremely linear, and not that fun. The battle system gets kudos though. I still think it's just not that great of a game in my opinion.

Although for twenty bucks many on the fence buyers should get it. No matter what it's shortcomings are...

Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey are much better though. Amazing RPGs.

[quote name='Blackjack13']FFXIII? Sure it's an extremely pretty game but still. That game is just so tedious and boring. I'm a die hard RPG fan and I gave up 3/4 the way through the game. The story is all over the place, It's extremely linear, and not that fun. The battle system gets kudos though. I still think it's just not that great of a game in my opinion.

Although for twenty bucks many on the fence buyers should get it. No matter what it's shortcomings are...

Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey are much better though. Amazing RPGs.[/QUOTE]

Oh, definitely, I'm not saying FF13 is a terrific game, but in terms of asian RPGs this generation on the 360, it's still leaps and bounds better than MC2.

I've been really disappointed with JRPGs this generation -- they've all been really static and like you said, more concerned with the visual side of things. FF13 takes the cake for that. The point of my post was that if you're dropping $20 on an asian RPG, your money is better spent on one of the about 3/4 titles.

I sure hope Atlus gets its RPGs over here (Catherine and the the next Persona) on the consoles. I suppose I shouldn't wish for another golden JRPG system like the PS2 but this gen has been pretty pathetic in this genre.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Oh, definitely, I'm not saying FF13 is a terrific game, but in terms of asian RPGs this generation on the 360, it's still leaps and bounds better than MC2.

I've been really disappointed with JRPGs this generation -- they've all been really static and like you said, more concerned with the visual side of things. FF13 takes the cake for that. The point of my post was that if you're dropping $20 on an asian RPG, your money is better spent on one of the about 3/4 titles.

I sure hope Atlus gets its RPGs over here (Catherine and the the next Persona) on the consoles. I suppose I shouldn't wish for another golden JRPG system like the PS2 but this gen has been pretty pathetic in this genre.[/QUOTE]
I hear you. I've been waiting for some good RPG's to come our way for a while now. So far I've been pretty disappointed. The DS seems to be the only system now that has some good RPGs on it now. I've been waiting and waiting but it seems like nothing much is coming. =/

And all the ones that do make it over here are usually mediocre at best. (The Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Arc Rise Fantasia, etc...)

Guess we'll just have to wait patiently and hope for the best, eh?

Picked a copy up today. I'm in the mood for an RPG and I couldn't get into FFXIII at all, mostly because I didn't like any of the characters. I've read in some reviews that the characters in MC2 are one of its strong points, so hopefully my experience with it ends up a little more positive.

There were at least 10 or so copies left at the Charlottesville, VA Best Buy.

[quote name='Camel']Picked a copy up today. I'm in the mood for an RPG and I couldn't get into FFXIII at all, mostly because I didn't like any of the characters. I've read in some reviews that the characters in MC2 are one of its strong points, so hopefully my experience with it ends up a little more positive.

There were at least 10 or so copies left at the Charlottesville, VA Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

I hope you enjoy it -- but IMHO, the characters in MC2 are about as stock as you get in an asian RPG. I'd say even Ar Tonelico had more interesting characters ... and that's not a complement.

Magna Carta 2 is a solid RPG non-WRPG style experience. Which is a lot better than I can say for the other RPGs I've played this gen (SO4, FFXIII, Eternal Sonata)

The storytelling and characters aren't as good as LO, the battle system isn't as refreshing as Resonance of Fate, but if you've already played these, it's a much more rounded alternative than the above.

And yes, Vesperia is good, and like Magna Carta 2, it has nothing special or unique to it, but it's a solid game all-around, and that counts for a lot this generation.

I enjoyed MC2 when I got it but quickly polished it off and got my 1000 points on Goozex for it. I'll wait until it is $10 or less to get it back (or even Goozex it back when under 300 points).

[quote name='Blackjack13']FFXIII? Sure it's an extremely pretty game but still. That game is just so tedious and boring. I'm a die hard RPG fan and I gave up 3/4 the way through the game. The story is all over the place, It's extremely linear, and not that fun. The battle system gets kudos though. I still think it's just not that great of a game in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't have said it better myself with exceptions to the battle system because I wasn't fond of it either. Having to reconfigure my shit based on who was leader because it had to switch after nearly every cut scene drove me nuts. Part of the reason I doubt I'll ever finish it.

I reallllllyyyy wish this was online as I can't go anywhere at the moment (screwed up knee) but when at least I know now where to check when I get better. Thanks OP.

Ending up picking up the last copy at my BB. Been wanting to play this game since it came out, but never really found a chance to until now.

Bought this game for my brother for xmas last year during the black friday sale on amazon. Was just going to borrow it for my brother but for this price I could buy a copy for myself.

IMO Lost Odyssey is the best 360 rpg, Tales of Vesperia was a great game too and if the side quests weren't impossible to find I probably would have enjoyed it alot more.

$19.99 at my store yesterday. Bought the last copy. THey didn't have ANY copies about a month ago, or I couldn't find one. Pretty cool, as I was going to spend my $10 RZ points on a Studio Ghibli movie, but I saw this instead while I was in the store yesterday and have wanted it for a while.

Thanks OP, for the heads-up. Been waiting for this game to ship from Goozex FOREVER. I just used up the last of my points because I was sick of waiting, and for $10...yehaw!

[quote name='StripesOrBars']too bad its not free.[/QUOTE]

??? What was the point of this? You could say this about every game, why yes, too bad all games arent free -_-

[quote name='Link927']??? What was the point of this? You could say this about every game, why yes, too bad all games arent free -_-[/QUOTE]

Because that's all this game is worth. Unless you are a die hard RPG fan, you shouldn't spend more than free on this game. (Ok, ok... maybe $10) My quest completion is at 77.5% right now and the end of this game drags on so much. It's basically going from one end of the continent to the other for every other quest.

Damn, I'd like to get a copy of this, and I've even got a $15 reward zone certificate I've been sitting on. Too bad they don't list it on their site for the stock checker anymore -- I don't feel like driving all over the country looking for a store that has it in stock, and I don't specifically remember seeing it anywhere recently. Still, I was going to stop at the closest store tonight to pick up something else anyway, so maybe I'll get lucky.

bread's done
Back