Magna carta sux ass (rant review)

A

Apossum

so it's about -5 degrees (feels like -30, according to accuweather) here in madison tonight and I decided to pick up a new rpg to nerd out on, rather than spend an equal amount at the bar, in the interest of conserving precious brain cells for midterms, papers, presentations and all the other stuff i don't want to think about atm.

I've been excited about MC ever since the Play preview came out last year. Who wouldn't fall in love with those character designs? even the dudes are hot, until you find out they're dudes, of course. So it got some bad reviews and still, I was intrigued. it just sounded unique and I thought for sure it was another case of the world not understanding something...well...

wow, what a bomb! about all this game has going for it is the deep combat system....and boobs (even the main character has boobs, and he's a dude.) however, even the combat system is fucked since there is this irritating 3 second load after you enter the button combo, so each battle is just long and boring since you are always waiting for this slight loading period. Also, it controls like the judgement ring in SH, but it's worse. if it were turn based without the pointless free roaming, it would probably be better.

the voice acting is as bad you can imagine. they say all the typical rpg lines, they all have rpg personalities, and the delivery is just plain flat. keeping the original voices would save money for Atlus and I would be more focused on the story, rather than making fun of the characters and plotting to kill the ones with the most annoying voices (like the kid, Azel.)

the whole adventure is linear and it's just plain clunky-- you are on one set path, literally. here's the kicker: the enemies can attack you at any time and if you are running, they surprise attack you, so you have to slowly walk along each path to make sure you don't get surprise attacked. Imagine having to walk a whole rpg? and either way, you wait a good 10 seconds for the battle to load. by the time a battle finished loading, i no longer gave a crap. I think of games like FFX, Nocturne and well, almost any other rpg where you can just hop right in, beat some dudes up and leave, with battles getting more strategic as you go, and wonder why the makers of MC decided to deviate from that?

the in game graphics reminded me of the PS1 days, where you could just barely make out the blob of polygons. MC's aren't THAT bad, but they are a jaggy awkward mess. in relation to the box art, it's about as disappointing as sea monkeys. you'd expect the monkeys of the sea, right, but instead you get lifeless microscopic brine shrimp, who don't respond to commands or do tricks. those are the MC graphics compared to the awesome designs of Hyung Tae Kim (sp?)

anyway, I put this message out-- if this game ever gets "teh rar3z" and ends up being $100 on ebay, for the love of god, remember this mini-review.

yeah, so I only played for about 2 hours, but damn, this game is fundamentally screwed...luckily i got it used at GS, so i can return it. I know 2 hours seems unfair, but it's easy to tell when an rpg is going to be pretty good right from the start. if you are stuck loading every 5 seconds and already hate the main characters and progression of the adventure, chances are it will suck, right?

I knew I should've gone with Genji!

Seen some game footage on Gamespot and wasn't very impressed. At $55 I said no way. The only Atlus published games I ever recall buying were Disgaea and Tactics Ogre. I'm a big fan of RPG's and appreciate what Atlus does but throwing out $50 all the time for their games would get very expensive very quick. Too many other good games floating around out there at better prices.

I knew that I wasn't going to like this game based on all the movies I saw of it. And as for going with Genji... no, that would've been a mistake too. I thought it was going to be a good or at least haflway decent game that's similar to Onimusha... well it wasn't. The cinematic presentation was like torture (and I loved games like Xenosaga) because the cut scenes were so boring and the gameplay itself lacked depth. Yeah, there was the Kamui system, but the entire game revolves around that system and it simply doesn't work.

You should have posted your review after you sold the game on here. Now you are going to have cheap asses (literally, asses) asking you to sell it cheap because it's worthless to you.

Every thing you said backed my reasons for not buying the game. Some people need to wake up, not every Atlus game is good.

[quote name='b3b0p']You should have posted your review after you sold the game on here. Now you are going to have cheap asses (literally, asses) asking you to sell it cheap because it's worthless to you.

Every thing you said backed my reasons for not buying the game. Some people need to wake up, not every Atlus game is good.[/QUOTE]

he said he was going to return it to gamestop

[quote name='swetooth9']he said he was going to return it to gamestop[/QUOTE]

Sorry, off topic, but I read that, but did not think Gamestop took back used games?

[quote name='b3b0p']Sorry, off topic, but I read that, but did not think Gamestop took back used games?[/QUOTE]

They should as long as it's within the 7 day return policy.

[quote name='Chacrana']I knew that I wasn't going to like this game based on all the movies I saw of it. And as for going with Genji... no, that would've been a mistake too. I thought it was going to be a good or at least haflway decent game that's similar to Onimusha... well it wasn't. The cinematic presentation was like torture (and I loved games like Xenosaga) because the cut scenes were so boring and the gameplay itself lacked depth. Yeah, there was the Kamui system, but the entire game revolves around that system and it simply doesn't work.[/QUOTE]

awww...no on Genji? i might rent it first...

and yeah, gamestop has a 7 day return policy, i got it last night. I think they might only give store credit back though...

a 7 day return policy? On used games?

I'll assume they have some fine print that does not allow one to abuse this system? It would be cheaper than renting.

[quote name='b3b0p']a 7 day return policy? On used games?

I'll assume they have some fine print that does not allow one to abuse this system? It would be cheaper than renting.[/QUOTE]

If you keep returning stuff they do not let you return it anymore. However every once in a while you want to return a game because you did not like it then you can. This is to prevent abuse of the system.

And I think those who collect Atlus games just for the sole purpose of the games being published by Atlus are a bit on the dim side. There are many Atlus games that are crap, namely Magna Carta, Super Army War, Go Go Hypergrind, Shining Soul 1, etc.

*shrugs* I thought MC was a decent game. No, it wasn't the greatest game out there but I enjoyed it. My one major complaint being the awful voice acting.

I like Genji too.

[quote name='Apossum']yeah, so I only played for about 2 hours, but damn, this game is fundamentally screwed...luckily i got it used at GS, so i can return it. I know 2 hours seems unfair, but it's easy to tell when an rpg is going to be pretty good right from the start. if you are stuck loading every 5 seconds and already hate the main characters and progression of the adventure, chances are it will suck, right?[/QUOTE]haha sucker...

I didnt even have to play it for one hour to realize how bad it was...

I was more like... 50 minutes.

I bought it brand new at Frys for $38, sold it online for like $55 used, haha

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']*shrugs* I thought MC was a decent game. No, it wasn't the greatest game out there but I enjoyed it. My one major complaint being the awful voice acting.

I like Genji too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. So far, I'm not too far in MC, but I'm enjoying it. It's definitely far from the greatest game I've ever played, but it's enjoyable indeed. And the voice acting sucks for most of the people, but so far I like Calintz and whoever that one general was on the human side. I should play some more of it.

[quote name='JEKKI']haha sucker...

I didnt even have to play it for one hour to realize how bad it was...

I was more like... 50 minutes.

I bought it brand new at Frys for $38, sold it online for like $55 used, haha[/QUOTE]

i am envious :lol:

returned the game with no problems! good riddance! :lol:

I hope Shadow Hearts 3 is good...

I work at a GS and there is a 7 day return period on used games. If you don't like it, you can get your money back. There's also a 90 day defective warranty on used games

[quote name='Chacrana']I knew that I wasn't going to like this game based on all the movies I saw of it. And as for going with Genji... no, that would've been a mistake too. I thought it was going to be a good or at least haflway decent game that's similar to Onimusha... well it wasn't. The cinematic presentation was like torture (and I loved games like Xenosaga) because the cut scenes were so boring and the gameplay itself lacked depth. Yeah, there was the Kamui system, but the entire game revolves around that system and it simply doesn't work.[/QUOTE]

my roomate and i went and got Genji tonight-- i'm enjoying it a lot so far. the only action games i've played in the past few years have been DMC and NG, so it's a good change of pace. i like how it's historically based too. Onimusha had too much mythology for my tastes (and part 3 was just...ugh)

the best part is that I get credit for playing it in my east asian civ class if I do write up afterwards and explain the historical tie ins! i know its original title was Tale of Genji, like the book, but it seems like the similarities stop there :lol: for one thing, the object of the game isn't to act like a heian-period wilt chamberlin...

Well I'm glad I spent my money on Granida 3 instead, thanks for the review it's always nice to heard about what utter crap a game is after you forgo a copy.

[quote name='ayolykewhoa']I can't stand Magna Carta's song in the opening CG. It's out of place and horrendous.[/QUOTE]

That's about as far as I got, as well. I knew from the instant I heard a pop-ballad with the chorus "Tears of Blood" that I'd be better off shooting myself in the elbow.

So...anyone wanna buy a copy of Magna Carta? :cool:

I finished it this weekend. Getting past the load times and walking speed, the game is pretty good. It just sucks that the plot doesn't really get interesting until you're over halfway through the game. Overall, if the game was a little more polished (speed up the detect mode and drop some of the repetition in travelling) it'd be great, but I still think it was a decent RPG...

Eh... even if the game has a great second half, I doubt it's worth haning onto if there's so many drawbacks and if the first half sucks.

Yeah, it's a definitite love/hate game. I enjoyed the battle system for what it was and load times never really bug me. The graphics were nice, the VA was decent and the music (excluding the intro) was enjoyable. My main problem was midway through the game you're controlling two parties and each party overlaps the same territory, so for about 10 hours you're running through each area twice fighting the same monsters you 'just killed' again...

[quote name='Rozz']
And I think those who collect Atlus games just for the sole purpose of the games being published by Atlus are a bit on the dim side. There are many Atlus games that are crap, namely Magna Carta, Super Army War, Go Go Hypergrind, Shining Soul 1, etc.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I own a few of those like SAW,GG:H and SS1 and while they aren't the best games they do have some redeeming qualities like... um... er... ATLUS ROOLZ!

bread's done
Back