Magnitude 6.6 Earthquake rocks Japan

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']actually Cheapy decided to take up jogging again[/QUOTE]

As long as we're taking shots at Cheapy...

Maybe it was his plane landing. Shouldn't he be returning from E3?

[quote name='Scorch']This wasn't a quake, Chuck Norris just yawned.[/quote]

Haha. I've never heard that one before so if you just made that up on the spot, I give you props. :D

[quote name='panasonic']that only works if he was a fat ass gamer[/quote]

captain%20obvious.jpg

[quote name='Kendro']Haha. I've never heard that one before so if you just made that up on the spot, I give you props. :D[/quote]

I did. I wanted to make a Cheapy joke, but I couldn't think of one that wouldn't be an insult to him (if he were walking/jogging/running/etc, it would make a joke that he's fat, which he's not). Had I make a joke about him yawning, I would've had to take it back, as he's not tall/big enough to create a yawn that would shake the ground.

But Chuck Norris.. man. This man creates earthquakes by yawning. The Big Bang Theory was actually a fart let loose by Chuck Norris after a bean burrito at Taco Bell. True story.

[quote name='Liquid 2']They always get quakes. 6.6 isn't big enough to really be concerned about.[/QUOTE]

that's like saying Florida gets hit by hurricanes all the time so a category 4 level hurricane is no big deal. The people getting pounded by the storm would probably disagree.

While magnitude levels are not necessarily indicative of damage (a lower number earthquake very close to the surface could cause more damage than a higher number earthquake deep underground), anything above 5.5 is no fun to go through.

Niigata is close to tokyo in the sense that philadelphia or wilmington is close to NYC, but that said, they certainly felt it in tokyo...Anywhere where there is light blue, green, yellow or orange on this map, they felt it.

http://www.tenki.jp/img/qua/Image-20070716101300-080.gif

[quote name='Scorch']I did. I wanted to make a Cheapy joke, but I couldn't think of one that wouldn't be an insult to him (if he were walking/jogging/running/etc, it would make a joke that he's fat, which he's not). Had I make a joke about him yawning, I would've had to take it back, as he's not tall/big enough to create a yawn that would shake the ground.

But Chuck Norris.. man. This man creates earthquakes by yawning. The Big Bang Theory was actually a fart let loose by Chuck Norris after a bean burrito at Taco Bell. True story.[/QUOTE]

Lmfao I am pretty sure I woke up the entire house after reading that post hahahaha

Japan is probably the most preparded place on earth for earthquakes. I wouldn't too worried. Hell, they make buildings to be firebreaks seperating the poor areas from the rich areas.

It was most likely Godzilla issuing his challenge to Cheapy for supremacy of Tokyo since he just returned. It will be a magnificent fight. Like Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. But with Cheapy, the robocop meets Spike Lee of Japanese citizens.

We experienced the quake while we had just walked out our apartment door and were waiting for the elevator. We live on the 26th floor, so we felt quite a lot of swaying and it seemed like it lasted for a long time. Our building is very new, so I'm sure the swaying is part of the design. Regardless, I was pretty scared.

This was the strongest one since I've moved here (or at least it seemed like it was). My robocop gun fell off the top of the case it is resting on, but there was no damage. The thing is pretty solid.

Quite the welcome home event on my first morning back from E3.

[quote name='CheapyD']We experienced the quake while we had just walked out our apartment door and were waiting for the elevator. We live on the 26th floor, so we felt quite a lot of swaying and it seemed like it lasted for a long time. Our building is very new, so I'm sure the swaying is part of the design. Regardless, I was pretty scared.

This was the strongest one since I've moved here (or at least it seemed like it was). My robocop gun fell off the top of the case it is resting on, but there was no damage. The thing is pretty solid.

Quite the welcome home event on my first morning back from E3.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear everything is okay. I can confirm that the swaying is part of the design of the building. I was an architect student for some time.

Yeah, all tall buildings have to have some sway built in at minimum to deal with the gusts of wind that get stronger as the building gets taller.

I'm sure newer buildings in Japan have even more sway engineered in for earthquake mitigation.

[quote name='gunm']Yeah, all tall buildings have to have some sway built in at minimum to deal with the gusts of wind that get stronger as the building gets taller.

I'm sure newer buildings in Japan have even more sway engineered in for earthquake mitigation.[/quote]

I think they started using the weight/counterweight system to help mitigate some of the effects of the earthquake and wind on the buildings. But elevators in an earthquake do suck. I haven't been in any place scarier than said situation. Although being on an overpass or have one above you during an earthquake is definitely a bigger fear of mine.

[quote name='CheapyD']We experienced the quake while we had just walked out our apartment door and were waiting for the elevator. We live on the 26th floor, so we felt quite a lot of swaying and it seemed like it lasted for a long time. Our building is very new, so I'm sure the swaying is part of the design. Regardless, I was pretty scared.

Quite the welcome home event on my first morning back from E3.[/quote]

Glad you're both ok, that would of sucked if you were in the elevator during it.

bread's done
Back