Major Bad News for Rhino Shoppers - Rhino Bought by GameStop

The more I think about this, the more I call BS... I mean, look at all these questions that would need answers before the 14th:

- What about the stock of old video games (NES, SNES)? Will it get clearanced? What about the leftovers? What about all the action figures Gamestop dosen't carry? Where will those go?

- What about preorders? Will those get transferred into Gamestop's computers? How are they planning on handling this?

- What about credit? Rhino printed credit on receipts, how is Gamestop going to handle this? I'm sure I just can't take my paper receipt into a Gamestop and get what I want.

- Are they going to close the stores to re-do them? You mean all Rhino's will start closing down on the 14th? What about people who have games pre-ordered that are coming out when the store is closed? Will that credit get refunded?

- Why would they let the managers know this afternoon, and then tell them all to go to Chattanooga tomorrow for a meeting? That is no time at all for them to prepare for a trip, that seems kind of odd.

- I asked this once before, but why are they going to Chattanooga? Rhino HQ is in Gainesville, Gamestop HQ is in Texas... if it's a Rhino meeting, why don't they hold it at their own HQ?

I mean, this is alot of shit to think about, and you mean to tell me all of this is going to be handled in a week and a half?

I agree, a lot of this doesn't seem logical, but Gamestop's buyout of Rhino was coming at some point. I'm thinking it's not that Rhino locations will magically convert to Gamestops on the 14th, but rather they will begin functioning under Gamestop then. The actual translation of Rhino-to-Gamestop would likely take place over time, probably months.

That's all speculation on my part, of course.

Chattanooga is odd, and I doubt it's all store managers. District managers would be more likely. If store managers know anything about this, I should have info tomorrow. I'd love for this to be completely bogus, but the fact is the buyout makes sense.

[quote name='deadpool253']It's true, deal with it, rhino wasn't that great of a store anyways[/quote]
Go back in your hole, lurkerboy. And get an original username too.

[quote name='Roufuss']The more I think about this, the more I call BS... I mean, look at all these questions that would need answers before the 14th:

1- What about the stock of old video games (NES, SNES)? Will it get clearanced? What about the leftovers? What about all the action figures Gamestop dosen't carry? Where will those go?

2- Are they going to close the stores to re-do them? You mean all Rhino's will start closing down on the 14th? What about people who have games pre-ordered that are coming out when the store is closed? Will that credit get refunded?

3- Why would they let the managers know this afternoon, and then tell them all to go to Chattanooga tomorrow for a meeting? That is no time at all for them to prepare for a trip, that seems kind of odd.

4- I asked this once before, but why are they going to Chattanooga? Rhino HQ is in Gainesville, Gamestop HQ is in Texas... if it's a Rhino meeting, why don't they hold it at their own HQ?

I mean, this is alot of shit to think about, and you mean to tell me all of this is going to be handled in a week and a half?[/quote]
1- Like you said, probably clearanced or returned to the vendor/manufacturer if they can

2- They probably wouldn't close them. Most stores are about the same size as GS/EB and the floor layout is practically identical in some cases so a fixture/signage changeover would actually be pretty easy. The storefront sign could be changed in a few hours on a slow weekday.

3 & 4- As far as Chattanooga goes, hawkeye probably got it right. They'll have the DM's and store managers from each region go to a particular location for the meeting; or, they could be using Chattanooga as a central location for one single meeting since Rhino stores are primarily in the southeast. Anybody required to go has probably known long enough to make travel arrangements.

Damn it... corporate just sent me a gift card too, won't be here for a week. I really hope Rhino stores will keep using their credit for awhile longer, if this is true, and tell us something like "Make sure you use all your credit by March" or something like that.

I'll probably go to Rhino and ask tomorrow too... if this is true I am going to abuse the living shit out of the 2 for 1 one last time.

No. NO.

I feel like Darth Vader just told me he was my father and that now he would start raping me on used game prices.

Rhino was hands down the best enthusiast store out there. Period. As if I couldn't hate GameStop any more, they go and destroy the most gamer-friendly retail outlet bar none. This is horrible news for anyone who has tasted the sweet sweet nectar of Rhino, walked its Elysian floorspace and perused its legacy selection and then bought a used game in great condition at a reasonable price.

I cannot ****ing believe this.

This is horrible new if its turns out true.I just started shopping a Rhino a couple months ago.It was strange not being hassled to buy crap I didnt want.There trade in vaues are second to none.

It really feels like the gaming stores of old.

I've never been to Rhino but I know this is indeed terrible news. I absolutely hate gamestop. I have NEVER seen a gamestop that I've liked. The atmosphere is disgusting and so is everything else about them.

I've been shopping almost exclusively at GameCrazy now, since Gamestop has put me out of a job TWICE first, by buying EB, and then by closing the EB stores that threatened their profits.
The EB higher ups knew about the takeover a year in advance ( so Rhino probably has too), and kept emailing the individual stores, "reminding" employees, that if any reporters called asking about "unsavory rumors" we should tell them "no comment" and give them the District Manager's phone number....I swear, gamestop is like cancer! It "...must be stopped, no matter the cost..." :bomb:

[quote name='Roufuss']This is fucking bullshit if it is true. Rhino was a great store all around, I shopped there so I didn't have to shop at EB / GS.

Even when I had my differences at their store, their customer support came through for me in a big way, much more than fucking GS ever did.

I really really REALLY hope this is some kind of huge misinformation on the OP's part.[/QUOTE]

Same thing Roufuss said...

I really really hope this is not true... that would be the end of 2 for ones, and I prefer to buy from them, generally the prices on used items I WANT are cheaper there, it was bad enough to see the EB merger with them because they really used to have great online specials that lasted for a few hours... it made it fun to periodically check in on cag, but those dried up with the merger... if this happens, I would be greeted with crap about if I brought my fucking trade ins with me instead of the nice personal greeting I am used to from Rhino

please dont be true

Roufuss if its true i'm positive credit would still be valued. Remember you had credit printed on computer reciepts at gamestop/eb until they switched to the new POS machines. I've heard of Rhino but don't know alot about them.

Whats the 2 for 1 deal? maybe I can abuse it myself some.

Why would people not believe its true? From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense. No one would of gained anything by creating some extravagant lie about this buyout occuring. All the issues anyone mentioned are very minor things that would be no problem at all. We still have tons of eb's/gamestops around here that are loaded with old hardware and games. They will either keep it in store till it sells or move it to stores where it will sell, just the way they do things now.

Lets just hope the madness stops and they quit buying out the competition. They are already the number two vid-game retailer only behind wal-mart. The less competition they have, the crappier the services and prices will become. I just hope TRU never gets out of the business.

Wierd becasue Rhino in my area just did away with the paper reciepts for store credit in favor of the Rhino gift cards

Another thing I would hate about this, no more 2 dollar used guides, I loved finding good guides there (La Pucelle, Oblivion, among others)

Ive been praising Rhino as long and as loudly as any other member on CAG, if this is true, it would be a great loss to me

Well the main problem I see with this is the one Roufuss brought up. They are going to change the stores over but only tell the store managers a week and a half before hand? We knew about the EB change a good year before the stores started to change. Also what has been mentioned about the meetings are also valid. You give your store manager less then 24 hours to make plans to attend a meeting in another state? It's possible that the OP misunderstood a few things or they weren't clearly communicated or its just bad decision's on Rhino's part.

Its possible that the buyout might become OFFICIAL but the actual change in stores might not be happening for a while. The concept as a whole is pretty believable just a few of the parts don't add up.

[quote name='Roufuss']They will step in if it is a monopoly, but it's not.

As long as Gamecrazy, Gamerush, FYE, anyone else still buys and trades used games it's not a monopoly at all.

Now, FYE and Gamerush suck ass, but that dosen't matter. As long as there is a competitor somewhere out there.[/quote]

Also, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, K-Mart, Sears and thousands of other places sell video games.

The trading aspect of the business wouldn't concern the government in terms of a monopoly since anybody can trade a video game to anybody else.

Even if you didn't like Rhino, if you don't smell something rotten in the State of Denmark, you're a fool.

It is true they didn't have the greatest prices on used games, especially DC stuff. But they HAD DC stuff. And N64, and NES, SNES, etc. It was the only major chain left that did. Now we'll have to turn to mom & pop stores, another concept that is quickly fading in the EB/GS world.

I need to do the 2-1 trade one last time. I never abused it, probably got about 10 new games in the 18 months I've lived near one. It will be sad not finding used guides (let's face it, it's a cheap as trading for them on here without the hassle) and a decent amount of used accessories.

Keep in mind that even when EB was taken over by GameStop, the stores didn't align until many months later.

Assuming Rhino stores stay open (in which case if the EB transition is any guide, most of the employees will stay on), they'll probably do what EB did - clearance off all the classic games, eventually get switched over to the GS POS and a few months down the road they'll be GameStops, with or without the Rhino name on the frontage.

It's not as if they can start converting stores to GameStops until a sale is final.

The reason for the Chattanooga meeting, is because the demons of bad luck know that I live here, and that I love Rhino with a burning passion, and hate gamestop equally. I hadn't planned on any 2-for-1ing for a while, but there's about 10 ape escapes and winback 2's at TRU that are about to get bought if this is true.

[quote name='Roufuss']
I just started going to Rhino a few months ago too, this sucks ass... this is the worst news I've ever heard. EVER.[/quote]

Even worse than the Gamestop EB takeover? I've never been to a Rhino but I know that EB had better PS1 prices than Gamestop when the combined and I was pissed.

Just had the opportunity to catch up on the replies since my original post. Believe me, this is not something I would joke about since I have taken advantage of the 2 for 1 numerous times. I just happened to go into my local Rhino as the manager was informing her employees because she had just found out herself. They were calling all the other employees to let them know the bad news. They were also calling Gamestop to find out about starting pay, benefits, etc.

I know the first emotion is going to be denial because that was mine too. I don't know if all the managers are going to Chattanooga today, but the store manager was told that she had to be there for a meeting at 2:30 today. She also called a mandator meeting with all her employees last night so she could get their questions and ask at the meeting.

I asked her to find out about Rhino credit, Rhino pre-orders, old school games, etc. My guess is all credit will be converted to Gamestop credit and pre-orders will still be valid since Gamestop does pre-orders also. I think the old school stuff will go on fire sale. The transition will not take as long since they just went through it with the merging of EB and Software Etc. They already know how to merge the different types of credit since EB used the card and Gamestop used paper receipts.

My Rhino is in the same shopping center as a Gamestop, and we already have 5 Gamestops/EBs in town. The odds of my Rhino staying open in any form if this is true are less than zero. :whistle2:(

Wow. Sad news indeed. I'll hold out hope that it's not true, but I'm not surprised if Blockbuster wants to dump the chain and GS wants to gobble up another competitor.

It could possibly be antitrust, especially in such areas like Montgomery in which there are no other merchants selling old games. However, in our time of oligopolies and corporate lobbying, nothing would ever come of it.

I wonder if Rhino will retain its name and logo, as EB did. Gamestop is such a predatory business though.. the way it treats its customers, employees, and competitors. When will the general public just stop putting up with the shit? They've had class action lawsuits, numerous filings with the BBB, etc.

The southeast has fewer competitive entities in this market than in other parts of the nation (few Gamecrazy stores, Gamerush stores, few mom and pop stores, etc.) Montgomery is reaching the point of market saturation with all the Gamestop/EB locations that we have now.. how are all these stores turning a profit, and when does the expansion stop?

I just got off the phone with my Buddy who's a District Manager with Rhino. He and one of the Store Managers just got to Chatanooga. The meeting is at 3:30pm, not 2:30...And yes it's 100% Official. As of January 14th, All Rhno stores will be rebranded as Gamestop (unless something changes during the meeting...) Apparently Blockbuster is focusing on their Total Access program and getting away from Video Game sales and trades. They no longer have the resources or energy to grow the Rhino brand.

Another sad day in the Games Industry.

I was an EB Games Manager that left when Gamestop bought our Beloved Company. They're a Horrible Corporation that devours smaller companies to add to their disgusting girth.

fuck.

[quote name='62t']Dont have a Rhino around here, but from the Rhino topic i can see they have great trade in. This is a very logical move for gamestop, as they already got funcoland, EB, and other game store. Gamestop can charge extra for games like they are currently doing, and they can probably get away with it because big retail store like Best buy and walmart are not going to carry some of the lesser known games.[/QUOTE]

In which case there is always online shopping to resort to plus game trading sites like this one, you never have to resort to buying from ebgames or gamestop, there is always another way to get your game, most of the time for less than what ebgames/gamestop is charging for the game. Most good online stores like gamesuniverse.com have even more lesser known titles than ebgames/gamestop carries, plus gamesuniverse has no tax to the state of ny at least and very cheap shipping (in most cases there is a few dollars discount on each game from the retail price with gamesuniverse and no tax, shipping is something like 3$ per game and 1$ per additional game, so it actually works out cheaper than buying at a retail store even without the 10$ off 30$ from google checkout). Plus ordering online means i do not get a shelf-beaten display copy from ebgames/gamestop, and my games actually come shrinkwrapped and new like they should.

Gamecrazy is even worse than ebgames/gamestop, and just has poorer service in general, plus they make you give your name and address and phone number just to purchase a game, then hassle you for 20 min about buying the worthless scam mvp card, this is not crap i will put up with from a retail store when i can shop online for less, but since we have all of 2 gamecrazy stores in my area, i just avoid them like the plague. Basically unless a price is too good to pass up, i do about 90% of my game shopping online in various ways, and if ebgames/gamestop continues to gobble up all the corporations selling video games, then i will move even more of my game shopping to online shopping.

Note: i am not some weird freak that does not go out of the house or anything like that, i do go to retail stores to browse but when i see prices that are much higher than what online stores are charging and the fact that shelves here are completely devoid of any games that i might want to buy for myself, it urges me to move more and more of my game shopping online.

[quote name='Archmagnus']I just got off the phone with my Buddy who's a District Manager with Rhino. He and one of the Store Managers just got to Chatanooga. The meeting is at 3:30pm, not 2:30...And yes it's 100% Official. As of January 14th, All Rhno stores will be rebranded as Gamestop (unless something changes during the meeting...) Apparently Blockbuster is focusing on their Total Access program and getting away from Video Game sales and trades. They no longer have the resources or energy to grow the Rhino brand.

Another sad day in the Games Industry.

I was an EB Games Manager that left when Gamestop bought our Beloved Company. They're a Horrible Corporation that devours smaller companies to add to their disgusting girth.

fuck.[/quote]Guess I should once again rethink building up any sort of GameRush credit stash... and use up the $100 or so I have there ASAP. Granted since GR shares space with BB stores, they're probably a hell of a lot cheaper to run than Rhinos were.

This truly sucks, if it's true! I've done 100% of my trading at Rhino because of their 2 for 1 deal and their trade-in values for the last 3 or 4 years. Like other posters have said, I want to cry. I'm going to my local Rhino in a few minutes to find out if they know anything about this.

[quote name='botticus']Guess I should once again rethink building up any sort of GameRush credit stash... and use up the $100 or so I have there ASAP. Granted since GR shares space with BB stores, they're probably a hell of a lot cheaper to run than Rhinos were.[/quote]

Believe it or not...As soon as a Month ago, I was told by the same friend that Blockbuster was going to test changing all of the Gamerush locations into Rhino...I'd be willing to bet that Gamerush dies with this purchase. That's pure speculation on my part though...

Does anyone know when they will stop taking trade-in's, or if they will? I can't imagine they will keep taking trade-in's much longer, espically on old generation product since it will all have to be clearanced out.

Ugh... I just wish we had some kind of firm details about when the 2 for 1 is stopping and stuff like that, so I know when to go dump a massive pile of games at Rhino.

[quote name='Skylander7'] Montgomery is reaching the point of market saturation with all the Gamestop/EB locations that we have now.. how are all these stores turning a profit, and when does the expansion stop?[/quote]

I've often wondered this in East Orlando. Within ten miles there are easily a dozen+ EB/GS stores. Some of which were former competitors in the same plazas/malls. Hell I remember some locations in Florida that, back when there was Babbages and EBWorld and all the little subdivisions, ended up with 3 or 4 stores per mall.

We only have one Rhino, which sits just far enough away from an EB/GS to appear to be successful.

I can't wait for the day I go into Rhino and hear "HEY DID YOU BRING YOUR TRADE-IN'S WITH YOU?!?! Do you want to preorder Madden 08? Do you have our discount card? Did you see our magazine? Next time don't forget to bring your trade-in's!!!"

I look at every new release I could have gotten for 1/2 price, like Wii Play and Warioware: Smooth Moves and I'm just pissed.

We are Gamestop, lower your standards and surrender your games. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own (without the distinctiveness). Resistance is futile.

When it comes down to it the only reason I hit eb/gs is to pick up cheap games to trade in to Rhino. I can't really stand the shoeboxes they have. If this goes through then EB/GS are going to be stuck with the Stubbs, winback 2, etc.

Well, if this needs any further confirmation: this is it. I just spoke with our local manager, and he confirmed everything that has been said. January 14th is the switch-over date. There was a meeting today, there's one tomorrow and I think he said another Sat. They are all supposedly mandatory, but he didn't go - said he's not sure if he's going to or not.

He didn't know anything about how credit will be handled (obviously, since he didn't go to the meeting). They were advising their regulars who had credit built up to use it just in case.

Something interesting, he kept telling me that in recent company conference calls they were talking about how many new stores they were going to open this year, how big they were planning to get, etc. He told me that this came as a complete shock to everyone. He said from the impression he got, the corporate office didn't even know this was coming.

Way to start the new year. #-o

[quote name='argyle']Well, if this needs any further confirmation: this is it. I just spoke with our local manager, and he confirmed everything that has been said. January 14th is the switch-over date. There was a meeting today, there's one tomorrow and I think he said another Sat. They are all supposedly mandatory, but he didn't go - said he's not sure if he's going to or not.

He didn't know anything about how credit will be handled (obviously, since he didn't go to the meeting). They were advising their regulars who had credit built up to use it just in case.

Something interesting, he kept telling me that in recent company conference calls they were talking about how many new stores they were going to open this year, how big they were planning to get, etc. He told me that this came as a complete shock to everyone. He said from the impression he got, the corporate office didn't even know this was coming.

Way to start the new year. :|[/QUOTE]

I was wondering why, if this was true, that corporate just yesterday offered to send me a gift certificate for Rhino when I filed my complaint, knowing they would transfer over on the 14th. I can only hope that certificate gets mailed out ASAP so I can get it and use it before then.

What we need is someone who has been to these meetings to start feeding us info =/

4th of the year, and GS has already fucked us over again.

I even miss the old EB, even if the difference wasn't HUUUGE.

I've only been to one Rhino, and it kicked ass. One of my favorite game store's I've been to, maan.

Now I've got the ONE local mom and pop store left, then I'm screwed. No where to go.

Well the manager at my local Rhino wasn't there today. So, I asked two of the newer regular employees about GS buying Rhino and they said, "Holy crap that's the news we're supposed to find out later" or something to that effect. They were shocked and worried, but could not confirm anything. I forgot to ask if the manager was gone to a meeting in Tennessee.

GS is already too big. In Louisville, half of the Gamestops are around the corner from the EB Games.

The decision makes sense in markets with no or little GS/EB presence, but is completely pointless is larger cities with brand saturation.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']GS is already too big. In Louisville, half of the Gamestops are around the corner from the EB Games.

The decision makes sense in markets with no or little GS/EB presence, but is completely pointless is larger cities with brand saturation.[/QUOTE]

Here in Tampa, there is both an EB and a GS two minutes up the street from Rhino. This will make three stores in such a tiny area, and that's not even counting the other 20 + stores all over the area.

The only reason Gamestop is doing this is to kill off Rhino which is their last bit of competition in the Southeast.

In Florida, there was no other direct competitors to EB / GS, just Rhino. Now, if I want a niche game that the big chains won't carry, I have to either buy it online or if I wanted it right then and there, shop at Gamestop.

I imagine it was the same in other SE states as well, where Rhino is their last bit of competition, and they are snuffing them out before they even get the chance to grow.

I'd be surprised if my Rhino stayed open at all, because why does the area need 3 EB's / GS's in a 3 minutes radius?

That fucking sucks. I was just at my Rhino's today, and I wish I had said something to the guys there.

I think they might have gotten a call about it while I was there - one of the guys went into the back to get a game for me, but I guess he answered the phone back there. Came back out saying, "That was the worst phone call ever."

That store's only...seven minutes-ish from the nearest Gamestop, but it's right by a Wal-Mart, so hopefully it'll stay open. I hope they all don't get completely fucking screwed over.

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust

In all seriousness though, this sucks balls.
No one company should have this much control over a market; especially Gamestop.

Oh, I also can't wait to call them and not only get refused for trade-in value's over the phone, but to also hear the long winded 35 second speech about preordering a game.

[quote name='such great heights']...but it's right by a Wal-Mart...[/QUOTE]
Actually, it seems that a large percentage of Rhino stores are in the same shopping center or across the street from a WalMart. I don't know what kind of conscious business decision was behind that or if it's some massive coincidence. I only remember one non-mall Rhino not being near a WalMart (in the Jacksonville and Orlando area, anyway).

[quote name='Roufuss']
I'd be surprised if my Rhino stayed open at all, because why does the area need 3 EB's / GS's in a 3 minutes radius?[/QUOTE]

One of the malls I go to have both an EB and a Gamestop inside and they are all of six, maybe seven stores away from each other (or 20 seconds in a casual walk). Don't be too surprised if there are three stores so close in your area. Apparently Gamestop isn't too concerned with over saturating areas and having truly un-needed extra expenses as a result.

I've never shopped at Rhino (none in my area), but the news of Gamestop growing bigger and eliminating more competition is not a good thing.

[quote name='argyle']Well, if this needs any further confirmation: this is it. I just spoke with our local manager, and he confirmed everything that has been said. January 14th is the switch-over date. There was a meeting today, there's one tomorrow and I think he said another Sat. They are all supposedly mandatory, but he didn't go - said he's not sure if he's going to or not.

Way to start the new year. #-o[/QUOTE]

There's no way they will keep that store open. The overlap is just too close, with a Gamestop in the same shopping center already. Guess I need to do 2 for 1 while I can.

bread's done
Back