Major Earthquake in Japan (CheapyD & Family are OK)

Hoping my inlaws are ok, it appears that no one has heard from them yet. I'm sure they are, they're in Tokyo, but I guess it's hard to get a hold of people on the phone in this because everyone is trying to call people at once.

[quote name='lorne']Huge whirlpool created after Japan quake. Hang in there CheapyD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU8zyscGWe4[/QUOTE]

OH fuck
418QXQPWJKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Hoping my inlaws are ok, it appears that no one has heard from them yet. I'm sure they are, they're in Tokyo, but I guess it's hard to get a hold of people on the phone in this because everyone is trying to call people at once.[/QUOTE]

I emailed with a guy I know in Tokyo an hour ago. Here is what he has to say about the city:

Tokyo was shaken pretty badly, and continues to shake with aftershocks every 20 minutes or so. Nasty stuff. Trains aren't running so Aya has to walk 10 miles home from work. We're both ok though. :)

It struck just before 3 pm so most people were at work already. Because the trains all stopped, most people were just stuck where they were, so a lot are staying overnight in their offices, while others are wandering the streets looking for shelter – a lot of emergency shelters have opened up. Biggest problem seems to be food, as convenience stores are emptied out and there's no way to get new supplies in. Not a problem where I live as it's not near a major hub or business centre. Business very much not as normal though anyway, everybody just wants to get home.

Yeah I've heard Tokyo didn't do too badly. Worried about my 96 year old grandmother in law though.
EDIT: Everyone's ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear CheapyD and family being ok, best wishes to them and fellow japanese CAGs hopefully things will be back to normal soon

fucking awful local FOX News. I'm on the treadmill for 35 minutes this morning AND then the elliptical for another 25 minutes with the news on in front of me the entire time and they report on nothing but but the flooding in Wayne, NJ. Nothing! I get home this morning around 7:30 and my wife was like "did you see what is happening in Japan right now?"

That's some crazy shit - I hope people in the danger areas can get to safety.

My prayers go out to all affected in Japan.

It's amazing that the buildings in the cities are (for the most part) still intact though, I guess the measures in place to prevent earthquake damage (and deaths) are working.

Definitely puts things into perspective. Stay safe ! That little one is the most important thing in this emergency.

Good to hear, now i just have to worry about my grandma. She lives in Hawaii that is going to get hit by a fucking tsunami.

I've got friends in both Japan and Hawaii.. they've all checked in.. but the tsunami is about to hit Hawaii.. I hope everyone stays safe.

[quote name='ObiBen']Thinking of the Cheapy clan and all fellow CAGs in Japan. Stay safe![/QUOTE]

i wonder if he's thinking about you right now? probably not....

Heard about the quake this morning. When the news outlets interviewed Americans living in Japan, I thought "CHEAPY D!!"

Glad to hear they're OK.

Thanks for starting this thread figcoinc. If you didn't start it, I was going to.

It has to suck to live somewhere where a tsunami is about to strike. I would much rather be surprised by a natural disaster, than have to sit around anticipating it's arrival.

My well wishes go out to any of you who may have been affected or know someone who has been affected.

I've been keeping an eye on these reports on the news, scary stuff..

Glad to hear that the Cheapy family is ok! Hope all of our other CAG peeps in Japan are doing ok as well. Stay safe :)

My prayers are with CheapyD and his family, my old friend that lives in Tokyo, and everyone else affected by this natural disaster. My family in the Philippines are okay as well since they are on a tsunami warning/watch as well .

Living in Illinois earthquakes are something we don't have to worry about which I am eternally grateful for. Tornadoes however are a completely different story. It seems like no matter where you live in the world you can't escape some type of natural disaster like this. Thoughts and prayers with all those affected.

I can't believe Cheapy was just talking about earthquakes this past CAGcast. He said if there was an issue we'd know. Now we know.

Glad to hear most of the CAG related people in Japan are ok. My best friend from there is coming over here in a week, and thank god he was on Gchat and confirmed he was alright.

Be safe and good luck everyone.

I hoping for the best for the people of Japan. That country, geographically speaking, is horribly placed on the planet. It's like a lightning rod for natrual disasters.

We can only hope that this quake didn't disturb Godzilla... That's all Japan needs right now.

In all seriousness though, my prayers go out to everyone in Japan.

I'm glad CheapyD & his family are all right; my deepest prayers go out to those suffering from the aftermath, either from the direct effects of the earthquake and tsunami (e.g. loss of power, lack of food, etc.) or from losing someone to them. :cry:

Best friend and his fiancee live over there (they teach English)...apparently they are fine. Some of the video that has been popping up is fucking insane. What a nightmare.

My gf has a longtime friend who lives right along the east coast of Honshu a little south of Misawa AFB. She got a phone card this morning so she can try to get in touch with her and see if her family is OK.

CheapyD was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news. I was gratified to spot this thread. Best wishes to you and your family and friends there in the land of the rising...tide.

-neostryder

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Has anyone checked on DV8? I'm very concerned.[/QUOTE]

All this talk about Cheapy and I was wondering about DV8 as well.

Edit: I just checked his Twitter and he's fine. Anyone else we need to check on?

[quote name='javeryh']fucking awful local FOX News. I'm on the treadmill for 35 minutes this morning AND then the elliptical for another 25 minutes with the news on in front of me the entire time and they report on nothing but but the flooding in Wayne, NJ. Nothing! I get home this morning around 7:30 and my wife was like "did you see what is happening in Japan right now?"

That's some crazy shit - I hope people in the danger areas can get to safety.[/QUOTE]

Fox sucks ball sacks when it comes to morning news, most awful morning news team. You should start watching The today show NBC, they started talking about it as 7am and went on for maybe 15 minutes. This event is terrible and should be covered everywhere, if not for Japan then for Hawaii and , Philippines and California also.

I'm glad Cheapy D and others are ok...

I'm just not gonna look forward to the month long bleeding heart commercials about how we need to give to Japan.

[quote name='Scorch']I've got friends in both Japan and Hawaii.. they've all checked in.. but the tsunami is about to hit Hawaii.. I hope everyone stays safe.[/QUOTE]

dont believe what the major news stations are saying about the hawaii tsunami it did hit hard in the harbors and a few other spots but overall the islands were untouched for now. no telling what will happen later on with japan still getting hit with pretty strong aftershocks.

just horrible...
still watching the news, still really bad.
sounds like Hawaii got hit somewhat, and WC-USA only got some high tide.
Good luck, Japan, you're sure as hell gonna need it.

Im glad that Cheapy and fam are ok my prayers go out to him and his family please let us know if your home was part of the ones affected and if you need help because you got our support if needed! Hope for the best for cheapy and fam and all others in japan!

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Anyone know the gaijinsmash dude?[/QUOTE]
he posts regularly on shoryuken.com as Azrael

he lives in kyoto so he's probably fine

[quote name='SgtMurder']

I'm just not gonna look forward to the month long bleeding heart commercials about how we need to give to Japan.[/QUOTE]

Dick.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Has anyone checked on DV8? I'm very concerned.[/QUOTE]

I think earlier in the thread someone said he was ok.

Originally Posted by SgtMurder

I'm just not gonna look forward to the month long bleeding heart commercials about how we need to give to Japan.

i doubt we will see any comercials ... most of the damage looked like it was people and not buildings (at least not as bad as haiti)

. i just hope we dont get the #$#$# who tried to rip people off who really wanted to give money to haiti

just hope everyone over there stays safe

anyone remember that one movie back in the 70s when that big earthquake hit japan and that wave took out the entire island..... that freaked me out so much that i never would want to live on an island

[quote name='SgtMurder']I'm glad Cheapy D and others are ok...

I'm just not gonna look forward to the month long bleeding heart commercials about how we need to give to Japan.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, did someone beat you as a child or something? Or did they not beat you enough?

I'm glad to hear everyone is ok in Hawaii. I heard about how Tokyo was shaking for 30 seconds when the quake hit. That sure says something about the magnitude given it was something like over 100 miles away from the directly hit area. I think it might even be like 200 or more. But of course I'm sure they made buildings there to stand the quakes.
Sendai is more a concern. Luckily, given the magnitude of the quake and the last time the strongest one hit, back in 1896, not nearly as many people died I'm sure. Figure for that was 25,000.
I think the most lasting concern is the nuclear emergency declared and I REALLY hope everything turns out fine.

bread's done
Back