Man brings Guns to recreate 'Dark Knight Rises Massacre' caught before film starts

Jcaugustine

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Wow, what a close call!

http://pamshouseblend.firedoglake.c...t-screening-tell-police-its-for-self-defense/

Man brings bag full of knives, guns and ammo to ‘Dark Knight’ screening

August 7, 2012

A man in Ohio was arrested Saturday night after entering a showing of The Dark Knight Rises with a loaded gun, among other weapons.

According to police in North Ridgeville, Scott Smith, 37, had in his possession a satchel containing a Glock 9mm handgun, ammunition clips, and three knives. He had an additional knife strapped to his body.

Jeremiah Bullins, an off-duty police officer moonlighting as theater security, became suspicious after seeing Smith enter the Regal Cinema theater 30 minutes before the movie was scheduled to screen. He followed Smith into the theater and asked to search his bag.

“When Bullins asked why he carried the weapons into the theater, the man said, ‘No problem. I’ll put them in my car.’ But it was too late for that,” Lt. Ray Arcuri told the Plain Dealer.

Smith, a married father of one, was booked into the Westlake jail. Arcuri said he is not legally permitted to carry a concealed weapon.

And in this report from NewsNet5, Smith didn’t just “OOPS” forgot he had that bag:

Police said Smith was the first person in the theater at the time of his arrest but up to 80 people would have been there 20 minutes later. He was sitting in the last row in a middle seat. This was a “tactical position,” according to officers, his back to the wall and facing out.

“If he chose to do something there, all his potential victims were in front of him and he would have an advantage over them,” Westlake Police Detective Lt. Ray Arcuri said.

They said Smith made no threats and was taken into custody without incident. Authorities also said Smith told them he had the weapons in self defense, but police aren’t buying it.

When they searched his home, they found seven rifles, five or six handguns, lots of ammo, gas masks and bulletproof vests.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read another article that stated his intention was to protect himself from a copy cat, but then again he initially claimed he had medical supplies in there and opened it in a way that hid the weapons.. not sure what to make of it.

Scary though, I'm the first person to say that kind of stuff would never happen close to home but this Crocker Park theater is one I used to go to all the time when I was a teen until I moved a few cities over in my mid-20s. Kudos for security for stepping in regardless of what was going down.

Even if it was for self defense as the guy claimed, it wasn't very smart of him to CCW without a license, especially in a shall-carry state where the hoops to jump through aren't nearly as bad. I can't fault the officer for detaining him.

I doubt there's enough to prove he had intended to commit a mass shooting, but the idiot deserves everything he gets for not having a permit. And the theater has every right to kick him out whether or not he's legal.

Jesus, I'm just glad they stopped him since there's more enough bad news with shootings especially after this past weekend.

[quote name='ced']Even if it was for self defense as the guy claimed, it wasn't very smart of him to CCW without a license, especially in a shall-carry state where the hoops to jump through aren't nearly as bad. I can't fault the officer for detaining him.[/QUOTE]

THIS.. it's incredibly easy to get the CCW here in Ohio if you have some free time over the course of a weekend. With a military background, he should know better.

Another one in the news today...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/police_arrest_man_with_loaded_handgun_ue22TrtgK5HJWYykV3gC7O

Connecticut Man with loaded handgun at 'Dark Knight Rises' arrested

August 8, 2012

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — A 46-year-old man with a loaded handgun was arrested Tuesday night at a Connecticut movie theater showing "The Dark Knight Rises."

Sung H. Hwang was charged with breach of peace and interfering with police after officers said they found a handgun in his waistband. He had a permit to carry the weapon, police said.

Officers arrived at the Criterion-Bow Tie Cinemas shortly after 10 p.m. Tuesday after managers reported a man inside with a gun. It wasn't clear whether the call was about Hwang or someone else.

About a dozen people were inside waiting for the movie to begin, police said. Officers asked each of them to raise their hands and file out, where they were patted down, according to a news release.

Hwang remained in his seat using his cellphone, police said. Police said he refused to put his hands up and was taken into custody by force. The gun was found in his waistband near the small of his back, police said.

[quote name='GUNNM']Stories like this make me wish a comet would just crash into this planet and take out ITDEFX first[/QUOTE]

There is a better chance at some viral outbreak taking us (and me) out than a comet you know that right?

bread's done
Back