Man stole game consoles from young cancer patients

DKYang

CAGiversary!
I don't know where else I could put this, but here. This is just not cool. At least steal from stores if you want, but not from hospital where video games help children that are in pain.

Police are searching for the man who stole several gaming systems used by young cancer patients at Carolinas Medical Center.

SURVEILLANCE VIDEO: Man Steals Game Systems Used By Cancer Patients
SLIDESHOW: Surveillance Photos In Game Systems Theft

“We are definitely making every attempt to get these gaming systems back to the young patients at Carolinas Medical Center so that they won't be deprived much longer from playing their favorite video game while enduring treatment for their illnesses,” officers said in a news release about the theft.

The man stole five systems, including Xboxes, from an office on CMC’s campus between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. on Saturday. The office was closed at the time and no patients were inside, police said.

“You really have to wonder about somebody who would take something from kids who are really having a tough time," said Kevin McCarthy, spokesman for Carolinas HealthCare System. “This helps give them a little comfort while they're going through the treatment."
Police said they hope surveillance footage will help them catch the thief.

“We want to see somebody help identify somebody who's willing to steal from children,” Sgt. Rich Stahnke said.

Investigators ask that anyone with information about the incident call 911.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/12/1...e-game-consoles-from-a-childrens-cancer-ward/
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/26077511/detail.html

That is completely fucked! Hopefully they catch the guy and if not hopefully some retailers will step up and donate a couple systems.

BTW Your grammar is very Stahnke Sergeant!

He should get a tumor on his dick that only be removed by removing his dick.

You know why? Because this is a dick move.

Last edited by a moderator:
dude is totally a dick and I could never even think of doing something like this.

But from a strictly academic standpoint this is utterly fascinating. On one hand hospitals are becoming hotbeds for gaming tech. With the rise of Child's Play I have to imagine that hospitals in Seattle and all over the places are becoming quite confluent with gaming systems. It's almost an ingenious target.

On the other hand hospitals also house drugs. People have been stealing drugs since the 70s right. So hospitals as an institution have all sorts of standard procedure to prevent theft.

I have to wonder if maybe hospitals are all geared for drug theft prevention but as an institution are not as tech theft prevention aware as say GameStop. Like i said it's logistically fascinating. The only problem is the victim.
Stealing drugs from a hospital is one thing. Hospitals have lots of drugs. 1st world countries expire tons of the stuff and ship it off to the third world all the time. drugs are nothing. Theft prevention is probably more to protect the thief than it is about supply. But game systems, on the other hand. That's like breaking into someone's house in the ghetto.
In the real ghetto people don't have anything. Stealing that 20in tube TV hurts a lot in that hood vs the suburbs.
You can't justify that. Those systems aren't for sale. They belong to the institution. The only reason an institution would keep game systems is for kids. and since this institution is a hospital it has to be sick kids. Sick kids that are in the hospital long enough to play gaming systems are pretty darn sick kids. As a criminal you have to know that. There's no way you target a hospital and stumble upon game systems. You had to pre-mediate that, and if you're planning this why would you plan to steal from a kid. This isn't like stealing candy from a baby. Babies are pretty stupid. They'll forget in 30 minutes.
This is like killing a 10 year old's dog in front of him. That's some vindictive and darn near hateful actions right there.

bread's done
Back