Man work sucks... grandfather died and cant even get the day off

slidecage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
106 (100%)
So my grandfather died monday night, so i went and told my boss to see if i could have the day off for the funeral..... they go if you do not show up for work that day dont worry about coming back cause you will be fired...

WTF

they should at least allow people the day off for family funerals

They should but technically they don't have to.

That's what I like about my job. I work with/for fellow human beings and not complete douche bags.

Honestly, you should think about quitting anyway. I mean yeah, the economy is crap right now but that is no excuse to stay at a place that doesnt treat you like a human being.

It all depends on how close you were do him but missing someones funeral is a big deal at least for me. I wouldnt miss it. I would start looking for another job though.

That sucks man. I know most places only offer you a day if it's immediate family, but most places also ignore that rule. Just out of curiosity, what type of job is it? And how long have you been there? If you've been there a decent amount of time, I would call shenanigans.

If you have perfect attendance otherwise and they fire you, depending on the state you should be a shoe-in for unemployment.

Just think in a year or five or ten....will you be saying, "man I wish I hadn't quit that job" or more likely would you be saying "man I wish I wouldn't have missed my grandpa's funeral"

I work at a sweet food co-op that gives me 3 paid days off for a death of family member (with in reason no second cousins and beyond)

If your grandpa means a lot to you like mines does I would definitely take off work with the chance of being let go. I mean a company that doesn't give you a day to go to a funeral of a loved one probably isn't a company that I would want to be working for. Also if you are still in school you should definitely go to your grandfather's funeral, you can always find another job.

[quote name='gareman']Just think in a year or five or ten....will you be saying, "man I wish I hadn't quit that job" or more likely would you be saying "man I wish I wouldn't have missed my grandpa's funeral"

I work at a sweet food co-op that gives me 3 paid days off for a death of family member (with in reason no second cousins and beyond)[/QUOTE]

The nail's head has been struck. Typically in a slidecage thread it's an invitation for mockery but in this case you need some sound advice and gareman has provided it. I'll reiterate that and strongly recommend that you go to the funeral. Be sure to make it clear to your boss that you will be going so there is no confusion about whether he was informed. If they really do go through with the threat and fire you look at it as a blessing. Do you really want to be working for someone who won't give you 1 day off for your grandfather's funeral? Jobs come and go. Do what you need to do and deal with results.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']If you have perfect attendance otherwise and they fire you, depending on the state you should be a shoe-in for unemployment.[/QUOTE]

Exactly....make sure you let it be known you are going to a close family members funeral and if you can make sure it says that in documents they have you sign if you do get fired, and if it doesn't mention that ask to have it included or refuse to sign. It might also help to let co-workers be aware of the situation (low level management as well), so that you can have proof of why you were terminated if they decide to "fight" your unemployment.

One of my jobs a long time ago said I couldn't take off for my grandmas funeral, to which I replied "I didn't ask for permission,"

They may have been pissy but overall nothing was done about it.

If you think they may be asses in such situations, it's better to just lie and call in sick that morning. Everyone misses a day here and there.

To be fair though, we don't know your character and how many times you've requested off/been off/just not showed....

Its one of those types of things. I work at a store right now where the admin manager went up to one of my friends and was like "look....for the past 6 months, you've missed 5 shifts a month. I just can't have this anymore...."

And now the guy got important thigns he gotta do (like graduate)

[quote name='strongpimphand']To be fair though, we don't know your character and how many times you've requested off/been off/just not showed....

Its one of those types of things. I work at a store right now where the admin manager went up to one of my friends and was like "look....for the past 6 months, you've missed 5 shifts a month. I just can't have this anymore...."

And now the guy got important thigns he gotta do (like graduate)[/QUOTE]

Yeah this is important somewhat. At my last job I was Assistant manager and was pretty much in charge every night Sunday through Thursday. We hired this one guy whom missed probably 4-5 days in his first 3 months. Then he called me and said his grandma died, and you know what I said to him "go to the funeral and don't worry about anything work related I will take care of it". Was he feeding me a load of BS maybe (I give the guy a 50/50 shot).

But I look at this way how can I live with myself if I fired him for wanting to his grandma's funeral, and if he was lying he's the one that's got to live with the fact that he took advantage of someone who cares about other people...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go to the funeral anyway. Use a personal day, or even a sick day. Would your boss rather be left hanging for one day or potentially for weeks trying to find someone new? I'm guessing you are not a model employee by the tone of the line they fed you when you asked.

Likely they are just flexing their managerial muscle and would not fire you, but if they did, those cocksuckers are not worth working for anyway. It's your grandfather. Attend the funeral and call their bluff, or skip it and find a new job and don't even bother putting in two weeks notice. Stick it right back in their asses, especially since your boss sounds like the type you'd never put down as a reference anyway.

ask someone in hr what the company policy is for berevement leave (family deaths), if it's no days off tell em you got a doctors appointment

I don't know about your area, but around here you can threaten legal action against a company if they don't grant you bereavement leave (unpaid, something like up to a week off). Definately contact your HR department (if you have one) and ask about their bereavement leave policy.

The most I've ever been hassled about bereavement leave was to bring a funeral program/card etc. that was passed out at the service as proof that I actually was there.

Like others have said contact HR and if they give you the run around get the corprate number and call them. I would also check with your state labor board and see if they have some sort of law.

What kind of job is it?

You've gotten some good advice here. Except for the one that said to call in sick if they don't let you go--it would be too obvious of a lie and they probably would fire you then, or make you bring in a doctor's note.

[quote name='Spacepest']I don't know about your area, but around here you can threaten legal action against a company if they don't grant you bereavement leave (unpaid, something like up to a week off). Definately contact your HR department (if you have one) and ask about their bereavement leave policy.[/QUOTE]

Most companies only consider immediate family as apart of bereavement, which means grands are a no go. (unless it's specifically written in, or you have a nice/considerate HR lady)

Kind've crappy, considering that for a lot of families (like me,) your grandmother is just as important as your mother and in some cases the person who raised you.

[quote name='keithp']What kind of job is it?

You've gotten some good advice here. Except for the one that said to call in sick if they don't let you go--it would be too obvious of a lie and they probably would fire you then, or make you bring in a doctor's note.[/QUOTE]

Actually, calling in sick would be perfectly OK. At least where I work, sick days can be used for anything health wise. Doctor's appointments, child's doctor appointment, work-out day, etc. The OP could easily say that he was suffering from depression due to the loss of his grandfather, and therefore, couldn't come in.

It seems more and more these days that companies don't give a shit about their employees' families. I didn't get any bereavement days for when my grandfather died, either. Had to take a personal day (which was fine), but I wasn't about to miss the funeral.

If personal days aren't an option for a funeral, I'd call in sick. You shouldn't miss the last opportunity you'll have to say goodbye to a family member.

delivery news paper around the indy area .... calling in sick wont work cause i had to work with the flu a few years back.. I was pulling over and pukeing out of the car every so often..

talked to someone else the other day and they said iF i could find a sub i could had it off.. but i have no sub cause i have no idea how to find one.

and even if i could find a sub, if a sub #$#$# up your route they blame you not the sub

o well..

(o and cant file any workers complaints cause im considered SELF EMPLOYED )

Ah, you didn't mention it was a newspaper route. Yep, you're screwed. As an independant contractor (as most newspaper delivery jobs are set up) you aren't an employee and therefore not provided normal protections such as unemployment.

[quote name='slidecage']delivery news paper around the indy area .... calling in sick wont work cause i had to work with the flu a few years back.. I was pulling over and pukeing out of the car every so often..

talked to someone else the other day and they said iF i could find a sub i could had it off.. but i have no sub cause i have no idea how to find one.

and even if i could find a sub, if a sub #$#$# up your route they blame you not the sub

o well..

(o and cant file any workers complaints cause im considered SELF EMPLOYED )[/QUOTE]

Just quit those jobs are a dime a dozen. Let some family members know (tastefully) that you lost your job due to attending the funeral....you have got to have someone that would help you monetarily until you find a new job.

I know around my area the papers are delivered very early in the morning like between 5:00 and 7:00 am so really couldnt you find a way to do both?

[quote name='gareman']Just quit those jobs are a dime a dozen. Let some family members know (tastefully) that you lost your job due to attending the funeral....you have got to have someone that would help you monetarily until you find a new job.[/QUOTE]

This.

I'm assuming you have a motor route where you drop the bundles off for the newspaper carriers, don't you know other people who are running motor routes too? Couldn't they sub for you?

[quote name='ajh2298']I know around my area the papers are delivered very early in the morning like between 5:00 and 7:00 am so really couldnt you find a way to do both?[/QUOTE]

I also ask this question. I've never been to a 5:30 AM funeral.

[quote name='Fanboy']I also ask this question. I've never been to a 5:30 AM funeral.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever had to travel for a funeral before?

[quote name='gareman']Have you ever had to travel for a funeral before?[/QUOTE]

How far away is the funeral?

Unless he is a pallbearer, we're talking a few hours to dress and drive there.

Then again, it is a newspaper route. Slide'd have to work at least a full shift at McD's per week to make up the lost income.

[quote name='gareman']Just quit those jobs are a dime a dozen. Let some family members know (tastefully) that you lost your job due to attending the funeral....you have got to have someone that would help you monetarily until you find a new job.[/QUOTE]

around here they are not.. motor routes have a 1+ year waiting list (even walking routes have a waiting list)

I just went to the showing at 1130 and left in time for work at noon.. they said they understood... showing was from 11 to 2 and funeral was at 2pm...

[quote name='slidecage']around here they are not.. motor routes have a 1+ year waiting list (even walking routes have a waiting list)

I just went to the showing at 1130 and left in time for work at noon.. they said they understood... showing was from 11 to 2 and funeral was at 2pm...[/QUOTE]

Congrats. Your boss officially owns your ass.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Congrats. Your boss officially owns your ass.[/QUOTE]

Some people don't get their lives handed to them on a silver platter. Stop being a dick.

[quote name='camoor']Some people don't get their lives handed to them on a silver platter. Stop being a dick.[/QUOTE]

Especially when he has bills to pay. People forget that at least 100 people are willing to work harder, cheaper and longer than you do. A paper route can easily be taken over by somebody else and it doesn't require a special skill. I am sorry that your company stinks and couldn't give you the 1 day off.

[quote name='neocisco']slidecage, you really need to find a new job. Throwing papers is a 365 job and not worth the hassle.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I did it for a long time and sure the money can be nice but never getting a day off really drains you.

[quote name='camoor']Some people don't get their lives handed to them on a silver platter. Stop being a dick.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to have your life handed to you on a silver platter to get a little respect.

[quote name='Chuplayer']You don't need to have your life handed to you on a silver platter to get a little respect.[/QUOTE]

That's right, cause nothing says damn the man like having him throw a couple cents in your coffee cup on the streetcorner.

[quote name='Chuplayer']You don't need to have your life handed to you on a silver platter to get a little respect.[/QUOTE]

Aren't you the guy who lives at home with his parents and plays with his dolls?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That's right, cause nothing says damn the man like having him throw a couple cents in your coffee cup on the streetcorner.[/QUOTE]

Well don't worry, he'll give you a few bucks if you let him fuck you in the ass.

[quote name='slidecage']around here they are not.. motor routes have a 1+ year waiting list (even walking routes have a waiting list)

I just went to the showing at 1130 and left in time for work at noon.. they said they understood... showing was from 11 to 2 and funeral was at 2pm...[/QUOTE]

A newspaper route you say? I always figured you for a beer wench at one of those Medieval themed restaurants. You know, the ones with a singing king and all that shit.

Anyways I guess I've been a dick to you in the past but now I'm kind of getting a clearer picture of the type of shit you have to put up with on a day to day basis. You've got my condolences slidecage.

Man that sucks slidecage. Though it sucks that you missed the funeral, you really didn't have a choice. All these people saying "Oh just quit and get a new job, one with a little more respect" really don't get how the world works. You don't just wake up one day and find a job the next, especially one that comes with the "respect" that you guys are saying should come with a job.

I love how the entire topic shifted from "go to the funeral" to "Chuplayer is a douchebag" immediately after he posted that he didn't go to the funeral.

Slidecage got treated like a subhuman. That's terrible.

Sorry you didn't get to go to the funeral, man. I'm happy that at least you got a chance to say goodbye.

bread's done
Back