Manually Resetting Router

saturninus

CAGiversary!
My stepbrother configured the wireless router and is the only one who knows the administrator login and password. The network has been crashing a lot lately, and I am not afraid to say that I know more about networking than my stepbrother.

I have decided that I am going to manually reset the router by holding down the button in the back for thirty seconds. Has anyone done this before? Do I have the change any of the wiring afterwards or can I just go to 192.168.1.1 and enter in the ISP user name and password (which I know).

It could change from router to router, but, on my Linksys router. Manually reseting it, DOESN'T reset the password. All it does it set it back to factory default settings.

Like I said though, this could change depending on your router.

[quote name='saturninus']My stepbrother configured the wireless router and is the only one who knows the administrator login and password. The network has been crashing a lot lately, and I am not afraid to say that I know more about networking than my stepbrother.

I have decided that I am going to manually reset the router by holding down the button in the back for thirty seconds. Has anyone done this before? Do I have the change any of the wiring afterwards or can I just go to 192.168.1.1 and enter in the ISP user name and password (which I know).[/QUOTE]

if you do a hard reset (with the button) it will set it to default settings (username and passwrod will go back to default which is usually U: admin P: password (or sometimes its JUST u: admin with no password)

you don't have to change any of the wiring but you SHOULD go in and re-secure the wireless network (by default it will have no security, so anyone can jump on to your network

if your ISP requires authentication by the router (usually DSL requires this) then yes, you will have to re-enter your ISP's user name and password as well.

hope this helps

bread's done
Back