Manute Bol dead at the age of 47 RIP

wildcpac

Banned
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guy was a great human being who did a ton of work for Africa and pretty much donated a ton of his NBA money to Africa.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/06/19/manute-bol-dies-nba/

Manute Bol -- best known for being one of the tallest players to ever play in the NBA -- died today, according to various reports.

Bol was hospitalized in Virgina back in May after suffering acute kidney failure.

Bol played in the NBA from 1985-1994 and was one of the best shot blockers in the league. Bol was extremely involved in charities in his native Sudan -- donating an estimated $3.5 million aid Sudanese refugees.

He was 47.
Tags: TMZ Sports

My favorite line ever about Manute Bol was from a 1985 Sports Illustrated article about how he had just signed with the Rhode Island Gulls of the newly formed United States Basketball League. The quote was: "After Bol renounced the remainder of his college eligibility in April, the USBL's attitude toward him was that if you could ink a Dinka dunker, do."

RIP

Wow, remember when athletes could be looked up to as role models for the humanitarian work they do beyond visiting a local school long in enough to appear in a "we care" montage?

RIP Manute Bol

That's kind of weird to hear. I was just thinking about him last week wondering what he was doing nowadays. Sad to hear such a great man is gone. Rest in Peace Manute Bol.

[quote name='mrnivek']Looked at this thread and thought for a second Uwe Boll had died... Whoops, wrong guy.[/QUOTE]

I got my hopes up that it was him. They should have got him to play dhalsim in the street fighter movies. I was expecting a fire ball or him to telaport from one side to the other.

A good basketball player, an amazing person. He did so much good for his home of Africa, I wish more athletes would follow his footsteps. I would rather watch ten people on the court of Manute's integrity than some of the more talented schmucks that play now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad to hear he passed relatively young. Seems rare to hear about a sports figure that thinks beyond himself in such a philanthropic manner like Manute Bol did. I'm pretty sure he donated practically all of his NBA earnings to Sudanese relief efforts. Could have had anything he wanted, but chose to give those that had nothing something. R.I.P.

I too hate TMZ, but RIP Manute. I had no idea he was so involved with Sudan. An exemplary athlete turned humanitarian to be sure.

Makes me remember a comedy skit I saw years ago where the guy talks about meeting Manute and uses the microphone is his face to represent Manute's wang.

bread's done
Back