Many PSP RPG's down to $10 new/$9 used at Gamestop

MSUHitman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Note that most likely the new copies in-store are going to be guts so if that angers you then this isn't for you. Most of these aren't available online but should be available for in-store pickup.

Tactics Ogre
http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/78582

The 3rd Birthday (should come w/PSN code to download Ada's outfit for Lightning in Dissidia 2)
http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/the-3rd-birthday/84564

Lord of Arcana
http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/lord-of-arcana/78403

Knights in the Nightmare (should come w/PSN code for Yggdra Union)
http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/knights-in-the-nightmare/84158

Half Minute Hero (DLC code appears to be $10 also, disc may have to be looked up manually in-store)
http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/half-minute-hero-dlc/75585

What Did I Do to Deserve This My Lord 2
http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/what-did-i-do-to-deserve-this-my-lord-2/77248

Jikandia: The Timeless Land
http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/jikandia-the-timeless-land/89616

Final Fantasy 1 (online only price)
http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/final-fantasy-i/65675

I have Tactic Ogre shipped from one Gamestop to a local one. My question is, will the local Gamestop honor the $10 price, even if this promotion offer expires? Does anybody know if there is an expiration date for this sale?

Thanks!

[quote name='CAG90210']I have Tactic Ogre shipped from one Gamestop to a local one. My question is, will the local Gamestop honor the $10 price, even if this promotion offer expires? Does anybody know if there is an expiration date for this sale?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
This seems more like price drops, rather than a sale, so you should be fine regardless where you buy it.

Also would like to note the following games are on PSN and with cheaper or same prices:

-What Did I Do to Deserve This My Lord 2 ($7.99)
-Half Minute Hero ($9.99)

I grabbed Used copies of Tactics Ogre and 3rd Birthday- the store only had gutted copies left for the new ones, so it's not like I was missing out on anything. The costume code from 3rd Birthday worked for me, but I can't check the product registration codes because S-E Members site is down for me. Anyone have luck with that website?

[quote name='sylveranking']Best way to get Gamestop to stop those practices is by refusing to buy gutted copies. I have never bought any gutted copy of a game and never will (if I am forced to chose, I chose used over gutted every time). Even their own employees know it sucks a hard dick and they themselves don't buy gutted copies (heard it from several employees). Once corporate realizes that no one wants to buy "new" copies that are indistinguishable from used copies, they will stop forcing stores to do that.[/QUOTE]
Buying the used copy gives Gamestop a lot more profit than buying the new copy. They are never going to stop gutting because theft is so high - you can't just leave actual copies of games out on shelves.

It might make you feel better, but you're fruitlessly struggling against a company by giving them more money.

I thought I'd tell/remind people that a good way to check if a PSN code has been used is to log on to Qriocity from your phone and go to Manage Prepaid Card. It will tell you if it's been used. And as long as you don't hit confirm, it will still be valid if you decide not to buy the game. That's how I checked the code on my used copy of KitN.

[quote name='pete5883']Buying the used copy gives Gamestop a lot more profit than buying the new copy. They are never going to stop gutting because theft is so high - you can't just leave actual copies of games out on shelves.

It might make you feel better, but you're fruitlessly struggling against a company by giving them more money.[/QUOTE]

It's still much better than giving them money for used games at new prices. Only place that will sell you an open box item at new prices. Its ridiculous that any one pays for it willingly. But as always, a fool and his gold are soon parted.

There is nothing stopping them from using their generic boxes to display new games and keeping the real ones sealed in the back. They are just clearly lazy and the people who buy them are reinforcing these actions. I have only seen one single instance (using a generic case to advertise a new copy) in which this was done, although I can't recall which game it was for.

[quote name='bigkrev13']I grabbed Used copies of Tactics Ogre and 3rd Birthday- the store only had gutted copies left for the new ones, so it's not like I was missing out on anything. The costume code from 3rd Birthday worked for me, but I can't check the product registration codes because S-E Members site is down for me. Anyone have luck with that website?[/QUOTE]

They just got hacked a week or so ago so they're probably still working on getting it back up.

[quote name='sylveranking']It's still much better than giving them money for used games at new prices. Only place that will sell you an open box item at new prices. Its ridiculous that any one pays for it willingly. But as always, a fool and his gold are soon parted.

There is nothing stopping them from using their generic boxes to display new games and keeping the real ones sealed in the back. They are just clearly lazy and the people who buy them are reinforcing these actions. I have only seen one single instance (using a generic case to advertise a new copy) in which this was done, although I can't recall which game it was for.[/QUOTE]

Using generic boxes required the printing of box art for every single game you wanted to display. As well as having a huge pile of additional blank cases for every type of system. You may not agree with it but it's not "laziness" it's a cost cutting measure to preserve profit.

Don't like corporations doing what they want to make profit? Move to a new country because America is only getting worse.

I buy from them because they employ people in my area. Something Amazon and their sleazy business practices does as little as possible.

[quote name='biledriver']Using generic boxes required the printing of box art for every single game you wanted to display. As well as having a huge pile of additional blank cases for every type of system. You may not agree with it but it's not "laziness" it's a cost cutting measure to preserve profit.

Don't like corporations doing what they want to make profit? Move to a new country because America is only getting worse.

I buy from them because they employ people in my area. Something Amazon and their sleazy business practices does as little as possible.[/QUOTE]

What bothers me the most is people willingly paying for it. It shouldn't bother me since it doesn't affect me in any way, well except that it enables them and I can't find some rare games sealed because it is the only copy left, but it does.

It doesn't require printing artwork btw. The one time I saw it done was just a generic case with the title printed on it in crude writing. Just one box per game title would clear more space. I don't understand why they need 5+ opened cases stacked on one another for MW3 or the newer titles to advertise that they have new copies. One box showing that they carry it is fine considering they don't even use the case that you bring to them since they just grab a sealed copy from their shelf. They are clearly not profiting as much as they think if they are wasting shelf space and resources like that.

[quote name='sylveranking']It's still much better than giving them money for used games at new prices. Only place that will sell you an open box item at new prices. Its ridiculous that any one pays for it willingly. But as always, a fool and his gold are soon parted.

There is nothing stopping them from using their generic boxes to display new games and keeping the real ones sealed in the back. They are just clearly lazy and the people who buy them are reinforcing these actions. I have only seen one single instance (using a generic case to advertise a new copy) in which this was done, although I can't recall which game it was for.[/QUOTE]
actually i received a sealed copy of Tactics Ogre; I bought up the box from the psp section which was open and was expecting to receive a gutted trashy copy but to my surprise they had a sealed copy of game that was released more than 3 months ago, but i know everyone else will not have the same experience

[quote name='exaznkid']actually i received a sealed copy of Tactics Ogre; I bought up the box from the psp section which was open and was expecting to receive a gutted trashy copy but to my surprise they had a sealed copy of game that was released more than 3 months ago, but i know everyone else will not have the same experience[/QUOTE]

Yeah, all the gamestops in my city have gutted copies. I bought a used one instead. Did get 3rd birthday sealed, although it does have a sticker directly on the case. Overall happy, just sucks I couldn't find a sealed tactics ogre. Ended up buying it online through their website, but its currently back ordered so who knows.

Found gutted copies of both 3rd Birthday and Tactics Ogre. Usually I don't mind gutted copies as long as they don't put those awful stickers across the middle to seal the game. They leave that awful sticker residue when you peel it off that sticks to the other games in my collection. Somehow I convinced the clerk not to put them on when I bought them so I'm happy with that. Thanks OP

[quote name='sninh']i have a code for 3rd birthday im not sure if it works but here it is if anyone wants it

87jg-dcnd-6j6j[/QUOTE]
PSN says it may be invalid or the code's incorrect.

[quote name='sylveranking']It's still much better than giving them money for used games at new prices. Only place that will sell you an open box item at new prices. Its ridiculous that any one pays for it willingly. But as always, a fool and his gold are soon parted.[/quote]
You are missing the fact that while you may be losing less money by buying used, you are making sure that Gamestop profits much more off of your purchase by buying used. So if the goal is to help Gamestop as little as possible, you are failing.

There is nothing stopping them from using their generic boxes to display new games and keeping the real ones sealed in the back. They are just clearly lazy and the people who buy them are reinforcing these actions. I have only seen one single instance (using a generic case to advertise a new copy) in which this was done, although I can't recall which game it was for.
Who the hell wants to buy a game based on a white piece of paper with the title scrawled on it in marker? A lot of people come into these stores not knowing what they want, and it is in Gamestop's interests to get people interested in buying games. Having shelves of identical boxes with names written on them does not do that.

[quote name='pete5883']You are missing the fact that while you may be losing less money by buying used, you are making sure that Gamestop profits much more off of your purchase by buying used. So if the goal is to help Gamestop as little as possible, you are failing.

Who the hell wants to buy a game based on a white piece of paper with the title scrawled on it in marker? A lot of people come into these stores not knowing what they want, and it is in Gamestop's interests to get people interested in buying games. Having shelves of identical boxes with names written on them does not do that.[/QUOTE]

But instead of them throwing out xbox/ps3/wii/psp/ds/3ds cases they can save them and just print the cover art. insert cover art on to the display case. There you go you, just eliminated the need for gutted games.

I know I'm a little late to the party, but thanks to your heads-up, I tracked down a new copy of Tactics Ogre today. Thanks, OP!

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']Will BB price match this?[/QUOTE]

Not if it isn't in stock on the website. They denied me my price match of Final Fantasy IV for PSP.

I meant, is there anything against their policy to match this deal? It seems to be in-store also so that works. Also hasn't went back to regular price lately either.

Doesn't not in stock online get overruled by in-store sale ad?

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']I meant, is there anything against their policy to match this deal? It seems to be in-store also so that works. Also hasn't went back to regular price lately either.

Doesn't not in stock online get overruled by in-store sale ad?[/QUOTE]

Link previous post stated, its YMMV. Here's how it'll basically work...

Try to PM.....refused due to Gamestop not in the Best Buy's market area
ELSE refused due to OoS online
ELSE calls nearby GameStop, refused because OoS there

Otherwise, should accept no problem. Honostly, in my experiences I'd say you should have a 90% they'll price match; besides you'll never know your Best Buy till you try.

I went by my local GS to pick up 3rd Birthday and got to listen to a mom and a son argue over buying a xbox live card. The guys at the desk were real cool though and even told me it was a parasite eve game, which I had no clue about. I really needed some rpgs to play on my psp and the recommendations here plus what gameplay I saw on youtube sold me for eight bucks.

I also ordered Tactics Ogre when the op originally posted this thread and it still hasn't shipped. It is listed as open. Anyone else have this problem? I would have picked it up in store but no one has it in 100 miles.

[quote name='nickawesome']Found gutted copies of both 3rd Birthday and Tactics Ogre. Usually I don't mind gutted copies as long as they don't put those awful stickers across the middle to seal the game. They leave that awful sticker residue when you peel it off that sticks to the other games in my collection. Somehow I convinced the clerk not to put them on when I bought them so I'm happy with that. Thanks OP[/QUOTE]

haha...as the clerk was getting ready to apply the stickers for the two games I bought (gutted Tactics Ogre and Deserve This 2) I said casually "oh, you don't have to bother with that"...he give me the old "oh yes I do because you can't return new games". He continued putting the stickers on even as I pointed out that the cases looked like they had been used for hockey pucks, along with the 6 layers of price stickers that I would need to remove later.

[quote name='dark-star']haha...as the clerk was getting ready to apply the stickers for the two games I bought (gutted Tactics Ogre and Deserve This 2) I said casually "oh, you don't have to bother with that"...he give me the old "oh yes I do because you can't return new games". He continued putting the stickers on even as I pointed out that the cases looked like they had been used for hockey pucks, along with the 6 layers of price stickers that I would need to remove later.[/QUOTE]

That's what I always found comical about Gamestop. "New game" to them is something that has never left the store in a customer's hands. These games could be used as store demos, possibly even store returns. But Gamestop has a policy where employees can take games home, play them and return at some point. Whether or not the game comes back in mint condition or with all of the materials is up to the store.

I know this is not the experience at every Gamestop but I have tried to purchase "new games" and been offered these gutted copies that had damaged discs or were missing items like DLC. Whenever I am offered these gutted copies I always refuse even if I know nothing is missing, simply because it's a horrible flawed policy. The game is not new, why am I paying full price for this opened product with no guarantee that it isn't missing anything nor am I able to return it like a new product because it was never wrapped in the first place. I can't return it like a used product because it's "new."

A new game to a consumer is a product that is untouched, sealed and comes with everything intended by the manufacturer.

It's 2012 and Gamestop still hasn't discovered the magical place called Kinko's where you can make photo quality prints for a reasonable price, given that they're a huge corporation they could probably get a super cheap bulk rate. But chances are those 10cents that GS would lose from printing costs would bankrupt them.

[quote name='Naramie']That's what I always found comical about Gamestop. "New game" to them is something that has never left the store in a customer's hands. These games could be used as store demos, possibly even store returns. But Gamestop has a policy where employees can take games home, play them and return at some point. Whether or not the game comes back in mint condition or with all of the materials is up to the store.

I know this is not the experience at every Gamestop but I have tried to purchase "new games" and been offered these gutted copies that had damaged discs or were missing items like DLC. Whenever I am offered these gutted copies I always refuse even if I know nothing is missing, simply because it's a horrible flawed policy. The game is not new, why am I paying full price for this opened product with no guarantee that it isn't missing anything nor am I able to return it like a new product because it was never wrapped in the first place. I can't return it like a used product because it's "new."

A new game to a consumer is a product that is untouched, sealed and comes with everything intended by the manufacturer.

It's 2012 and Gamestop still hasn't discovered the magical place called Kinko's where you can make photo quality prints for a reasonable price, given that they're a huge corporation they could probably get a super cheap bulk rate. But chances are those 10cents that GS would lose from printing costs would bankrupt them.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% with what you said and I do the same thing about refusing gutted copies each and every time. Unfortunately, not enough people do that or else this practice would have disappeared a long time ago.

GS doesn't even need to print covers themselves. They are so large that I'm certain if they just talked to their reps from each publisher, they would get sent prints of each cover. But they don't need to because dumb consumers will still buy their gutted copies, fully justifying their horrible practice of selling "new" games.

My Gamestop used to just give you the gutted copies. Now they at least ask. If I go in and they have nothing left, they'll be like "All we have left is the one from the shelf. Do you still want it? It's still new, it was just stored so we could display it." I always say no thanks.

I remember back when I went to buy Golden Sun when it first came out, I asked for it and then as he was preparing the game I was flipping through a guide so I wasn't paying attention. I walk out the store and notice right away it was opened. I went back inside and told him he sold me a used copy. He said "No it's new, it was just on display." I immediately returned it. That was the closest they ever got to sneaking one by me. It's also why I never have a girlfriend or friend pick up a game for me. They aren't privy to this stuff.

Speaking of Gamestop, I'll never understand why people trade in their games and only get like a dollar in return. Every time I go into Gamestop there is always some dude with a pile of games 3 feet high to trade in and I watch as they ring them up and like 3 of them are a dollar a piece. You can find a dollar's worth of change laying in your couch. It's such a waste to trade games in for that low a price. You could fetch 5 dollars at least in a yard sale or something.

dont think they're allowed to print out copies of game covers to use as display. i remember either blockbuster or hollywood got copyright notices to take them down doing that a while back.

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']My Gamestop used to just give you the gutted copies. Now they at least ask. If I go in and they have nothing left, they'll be like "All we have left is the one from the shelf. Do you still want it? It's still new, it was just stored so we could display it." I always say no thanks.

I remember back when I went to buy Golden Sun when it first came out, I asked for it and then as he was preparing the game I was flipping through a guide so I wasn't paying attention. I walk out the store and notice right away it was opened. I went back inside and told him he sold me a used copy. He said "No it's new, it was just on display." I immediately returned it. That was the closest they ever got to sneaking one by me. It's also why I never have a girlfriend or friend pick up a game for me. They aren't privy to this stuff.

Speaking of Gamestop, I'll never understand why people trade in their games and only get like a dollar in return. Every time I go into Gamestop there is always some dude with a pile of games 3 feet high to trade in and I watch as they ring them up and like 3 of them are a dollar a piece. You can find a dollar's worth of change laying in your couch. It's such a waste to trade games in for that low a price. You could fetch 5 dollars at least in a yard sale or something.[/QUOTE]

I think of it like this. I am going to rip the plastic off within the first few minutes of ownership anyway, so it's still new to me. If they refused to sell shop copies, I think the complaints would be much greater in the long run as we would hear "THEY HAD IT IN THE DRAWER" or "IT SAID IN STOCK ON THE WEBSITE!". At the end of the day, you will be playing whatever game you bought, and there is no difference between one with plastic and one without as long as the condition is flawless and all contents are included.

I do get your point though, as unwrapping the package is half the fun of buying new and gutted games can make a gift giver look like they bought used.

[quote name='discordman']I think of it like this. I am going to rip the plastic off within the first few minutes of ownership anyway, so it's still new to me. If they refused to sell shop copies, I think the complaints would be much greater in the long run as we would hear "THEY HAD IT IN THE DRAWER" or "IT SAID IN STOCK ON THE WEBSITE!". At the end of the day, you will be playing whatever game you bought, and there is no difference between one with plastic and one without as long as the condition is flawless and all contents are included.

I do get your point though, as unwrapping the package is half the fun of buying new and gutted games can make a gift giver look like they bought used.[/QUOTE]

It's not just the unwrapping part though. More often than not, when I've been handed a gutted game, the game disc is scratched either from their employee rental policy or just poor storage of the disc in their drawer. This leads to a bunch of problems such as decreased resale value if I ever decide to sell it, poor collectibility, and worst of all, the possibility of playing a game midway through and then having it freeze up on you because of the scratches (this is the worse case scenario because you could be outside of the return period).

Yeah, I have used game discs in better condition than some gamestop "new" copies, especially the ones that have been collecting dust in the drawer for a very long time.

[quote name='dark-star']He continued putting the stickers on even as I pointed out that the cases looked like they had been used for hockey pucks, along with the 6 layers of price stickers that I would need to remove later.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']It's also why I never have a girlfriend or friend pick up a game for me. They aren't privy to this stuff.[/QUOTE]

I had my wife pick up The 3rd Birthday for me. The GameStop employee gave her the last copy which he assured my wife was new.:roll:

I took one look at this case and asked my wife if it was used. The case was all scratched and had a pile of price stickers on it, with the top one saying new $9.99. I peeled back the stickers and beneath it was one that said pre-owned. At this point I was pretty much fuming.:bomb:

My wife called the store and the clerk claims that the display case for the new game was stolen, so they took a used case to replace it. I still wasn't happy and didn't really believe that story. I would like for the "new" game to at least look new. And with a stolen case, most companies would have marked it down on clearance as-is, not replace missing pieces with used.

But, I was able to exchange the game at a different GameStop without hassle for a sealed copy.

I took pictures of the price stickers, and I will post those later when I have the time.

DSCF3338.jpg

DSCF3337.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought the 3rd birthday a few days ago used, and was surprisingly in good condition! With PUR reward it was like $8 with tax, which I paid in credit. The great thing was it came with Square Enix code in the case which usually never happens. So super slick deal.

I purchase the game and headed out the door. In my car I checked the game again, and what do you know, the cashier stole the Square Enix code right under my nose. It was nowhere to be found. WTF?!

I guess I now have to be a little more wary in the my future visits to gamestop.

[quote name='backseatdog']Bought the 3rd birthday a few days ago used, and was surprisingly in good condition! With PUR reward it was like $8 with tax, which I paid in credit. The great thing was it came with Square Enix code in the case which usually never happens. So super slick deal.

I purchase the game and headed out the door. In my car I checked the game again, and what do you know, the cashier stole the Square Enix code right under my nose. It was nowhere to be found. WTF?!

I guess I now have to be a little more wary in the my future visits to gamestop.[/QUOTE]

You could've gone back in and called him on it. It might have been an honest oversight. Sometimes they'll pull a used copy with case from the drawer and not give you the case from the shelf.

All it takes is one time where you take a complete, good condition case up to the counter and walk away with a trashed/no manual copy before you start watching them like a hawk.

[quote name='Naramie']But Gamestop has a policy where employees can take games home, play them and return at some point. Whether or not the game comes back in mint condition or with all of the materials is up to the store.[/QUOTE]

That policy only applies to used games. If a manager is letting their employees take home new product, they're violating that protocol and you should (rightfully) complain about it.

It definitely happens, but it's not something condoned.

[quote name='Logain8955']That policy only applies to used games. If a manager is letting their employees take home new product, they're violating that protocol and you should (rightfully) complain about it.

It definitely happens, but it's not something condoned.[/QUOTE]

This is correct. Stores that care only let employees take home used games, and usually the store has to have at least 2 copies of it.

[quote name='rpnguyen']came to thread hoping for Persona 3, Persona 2. left disappointed. oh well, they'll drop soon enough...[/QUOTE]

Yeah good luck with those: Persona 1 is $20 used, Persona 2 is $40 new/$35 used, and Persona 3 is $30 used and since they're rarer and more in-demand, it will be awhile before those drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSUHitman']Yeah good luck with those: Persona 1 is $20 used, Persona 2 is $30 new/$27 used, and Persona 3 is $30 used and since they're rarer and more in-demand, it will be awhile before those drop.[/QUOTE]
Not only that, but look at all of the other Shin Megami Tensei games GameStop has. Very rarely do they drop below $20. Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Persona 3 (vanilla) and Devil Summoner 2 are the only SMT games that are under $20.

Full Disclosure: I worked at Ye Olde Gamestoppe™ for 4 years. Didn't drink the Kool-Aid™, stayed a GA, and finished my college degree and moved on ASAP.

But for the life of me, I will never, EVER understand the addiction to bits of cellophane that drive people nuts for new games. The new display copies SHOULD NOT be played. If they are, rules have been broken and you can be pissed.

However, this is CAG. I assume people are going there to get the game for cheap to enjoy it. It's not CheapAssCollector. Gamestop is not the place to be looking to buy collection grade sealed copies.

I guess people will always be anal, but I think it's a waste of material and does nothing except be a means of anti-theft. Can't wait for all digital on all platforms so Gamestop will be no longer necessary and scarcity and "hunting" for a game are gone. I'll miss rooting through bins of old crap for a gem, but also never having to pay over MSRP for "rare, OOP" will be nice.

Mini-rant, I know, but it just irks me. Cellophane is just a trained response, an expectation.

[quote name='TheKbob']Full Disclosure: I worked at Ye Olde Gamestoppe™ for 4 years. Didn't drink the Kool-Aid™, stayed a GA, and finished my college degree and moved on ASAP.

But for the life of me, I will never, EVER understand the addiction to bits of cellophane that drive people nuts for new games. The new display copies SHOULD NOT be played. If they are, rules have been broken and you can be pissed.

However, this is CAG. I assume people are going there to get the game for cheap to enjoy it. It's not CheapAssCollector. Gamestop is not the place to be looking to buy collection grade sealed copies.

I guess people will always be anal, but I think it's a waste of material and does nothing except be a means of anti-theft. Can't wait for all digital on all platforms so Gamestop will be no longer necessary and scarcity and "hunting" for a game are gone. I'll miss rooting through bins of old crap for a gem, but also never having to pay over MSRP for "rare, OOP" will be nice.

Mini-rant, I know, but it just irks me. Cellophane is just a trained response, an expectation.[/QUOTE]

Your rant is unwarranted. You haven't really been reading people's responses. No one has been stating that a bit of cellophane is the only reason they are angry at Gamestop's practices.

From many many experiences, I can tell you that the rule for not taking home "new" (read: gutted) games is broken all the time because there's no way discs could be so damaged when I look at them. Also even for games that haven't been taken home by the employees, they are usually damaged to a lesser extent because the discs are generally stuffed in a drawer in a paper disc sleeve, left to slide around, be smashed and jostled in the drawers. GS is full of empty game cases, is it too much to ask to put these "new" discs into cases when storing them in the drawers?

Secondly, nearly half the time, any codes that are supposed to come with the game are stolen, or worse, they are in the case, but someone has used them, likely by taking a picture of the code with their cell phone. This is the worst case scenario, because you do not know the code is registered until you get home and open the case. By then, you can't return the game because of GS's idiotic policy that if you rip off their dumb sticker it's like opening a new game. GS should not be selling these games as new when the DLC codes (which are in nearly every game now) are used. These codes are basically worth $10 of the price of the game.

Also why is this policy of taking out games even a valid one? People who work at car dealerships don't get to take their used cars out for the weekend simply because they work there.

[quote name='TheKbob']Can't wait for all digital on all platforms so Gamestop will be no longer necessary and scarcity and "hunting" for a game are gone. I'll miss rooting through bins of old crap for a gem, but also never having to pay over MSRP for "rare, OOP" will be nice.[/QUOTE]
Except that also means we can kiss ever seeing decent deals on games goodbye. Refer to the Persona games.

They're STILL $39.99 on PSN.

[quote name='TheKbob']Full Disclosure: I worked at Ye Olde Gamestoppe™ for 4 years. Didn't drink the Kool-Aid™, stayed a GA, and finished my college degree and moved on ASAP.

Mini-rant, I know, but it just irks me. Cellophane is just a trained response, an expectation.[/QUOTE]
I only buy "new" games at Gamestop when they're decently priced, like I bought Tactics Ogre the other day.

Part of the buying experience for me is unwrapping the game and having that "new plastic" smell that comes with sealed games. It absolutely irks me that so-called new games from gamestop have a goddamn price sticker with adhesive that you have to practically use a razor blade to get off. New means new condition, not "we jacked up your case with a sticker, good luck getting that crap off". Besides that, the case has been handled by god knows how many people, and they are usually scratched or have little tears in the artwork. "New" should mean "how it comes from the manufacturer".

I understand gamestop's place in the market, and they obviously make money with their underhanded practice of selling "new" games. Which is why I only buy from them when I have credit, or in cases where I have to, like with Xenoblade (which I pre-ordered, so it better be sealed).

And as for the digital argument, if one person has complete control over distribution (like in the case of Xbox or PSN), we will see overinflated prices, because they basically have a monopoly and can charge whatever they want. Clearance prices will be out, because they don't have "inventory" to clear out to make room for more merchandise. Sure we see the occasional sale on XBL or PSN, but for the most part, prices are much higher than you would pay at retail.

Cheap ass Collector here, and you're absolutely right. "Gamestop is not the place to be looking to buy collection grade sealed copies".

However, when I pay for a game new, I expect a condition, which 90% of the time Gamestop has not provided.

No bent boxes/Manuals, no scratches on the game disk. No missing manuals, inserts, codes, and by DEAR GOD NO MISSING COLLECTOR
BOXES (yes, I had a guy refuse to sell me the collectors box w/ game for a new collectors edition of a game, after I brought the empty box up to him)

I don't mind the fact that Gamestop guts its new copies, and I only half mind the fact that they do it for collector's editions.. but when I collect, I don't do it half ass.

[quote name='TheKbob'] Cellophane is just a trained response, an expectation.[/QUOTE]

That may be true, but all of Gamestop's competition has able to meet this simple expectation without any issues. Not only that, most retailers will mark their opened inventory and discount accordingly. It's practically standard and perfectly reasonable for consumers expect their purchases to look like they haven't been tampered with prior to purchase.

Disclosure of my own: I've rarely had issues with gutted copies with my Gamestops (maybe because I make only a few purchases from them on average, a year, but still)

bread's done
Back