Mario 64 DS is impossible to control [Where the EFF is Yoshi?]

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
This game is seriously pissing me off. I am having the hardest time controlling Mario and knowing that levels like the clock tower are later in the game make me want to quit right now. On the N64 I could make Mario do whatever I wanted and it was never frustrating. I am using the stylus to run and I always find myself pushing it towards the end of the screen.

I know I'm really late to this discussion but has anyone else given up on this game due to the poor controls (or maybe got used to them over time)?

I also hated the controls. After finishing up the first half of the game, which I had mastered on the N64, I gave up of the latter levels, because I just couldn't control him as well as on the N64.

I don't know if I'd go as far as amazing, but I used the D-Pad and am pretty happy with the game. Still haven't gotten all the stars yet, as my wife accidentally threw out my first copy of the game :(

[quote name='jkam']This game controls amazing. Use the D-Pad though.[/quote]

How can you walk and run just using the d-pad?

[quote name='javeryh']How can you walk and run just using the d-pad?[/quote]

That was default for me. If it isn't, you just need to go to the control settings screen and choose standard mode. Then you can hold Y and use the D-pad to run. That's how i've been playing. Not quite as smooth as the N64, but it's alright.

The option I used, and preferred, for this game is the thumbstrap-pad stylus. I don't think it comes with the DS Lite, but when the DS first shipped it was an included accessory. Basically it's a little strap with a hard plastic tip that fits under your thumb, allowing you to mimic using an analog stick. It's not perfect, but with a little adjustment works well.

The thumb straps are still available in various accessory packs and probably through Nintendo online for purchase. I had to replace mine and it cost a couple bucks.

Barring that, you can adjust the control options in the settings (I think) to match Dpad usage.

Yeah seriously, even though the DS doesn't have an analog stick, the d-pad works so damn well that you don't need one (unless you've gotten a defective one, though some of them aren't defective and you just have to break in the diagonals). Either that or just keep using the d-pad and you should get used to it eventually.

I wouldn't bother with the stylus, it isn't suited for these types of games and this game is more fun with the d-pad and buttons. I also find it tougher to control that way! I'd only recommend the stylus for touch screen games.

[quote name='javeryh']How can you walk and run just using the d-pad?[/QUOTE]

To run you just hold down a button like you did for the original super mario bros. It's funny because I didn't realize that when I first got the game and I was walking around going man the controls suck! Once I realized I had to hold down a button to run I was excitied and blew through the game in no time.

I gave up on it. I was using the thumb stylus, but the controls were always not as responsive as they should be. Too bad, because I never owned it on the 64. I was looking forward to playing the entire game. I'll just have to get it for virtual console in the future.

Use the D-Pad. Out of all the stars (150?), there was maybe one or two where I needed to switch to touchscreen control to do it right.

[quote name='zewone']The controls were terrible. I stopped playing after about 10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Same here. This was the reason I bought a DS at launch, but the controls were so bad I traded it in within a week.

I never understood how people had trouble with this. If you use the D-Pad, the controls are fine.

Yes, they're not as good as the analog stick on the N64, but they work fine.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']I never understood how people had trouble with this. If you use the D-Pad, the controls are fine.

Yes, they're not as good as the analog stick on the N64, but they work fine.[/quote]

The game was actually designed to use the d-pad and the analog stick support was added later. I played the game at the first E3 show where Mario 64 was introduced (on the Nintendo 64), and it played with either the analog stick or d-pad and the d-pad support was removed by the next show.

[quote name='wubb']They really should let you hold a button to walk and have the default be running.[/quote]

I agree. Just to do a long jump you have to push a button to run, crouch and then jump.

I've been playing with the d-pad and it's easier but it's far from ideal...

Like BrerDan, I just used the thumb strap that came with my original DS. It worked really well in simulating an analog controller using the screen. I got through 40 or 50 stars before I just moved onto other games. I had already finished the N64 version a long time ago, so I didn't have a ton of driving interest in finishing it again.

I tried using the thumbstrap but it kept getting uncomfortable or adjusted quite not right. The d-pad would be alright if the default was running as wubb said earlier.

The game and the controls are great, i never used the touchscreen , altough i did try it and realized it was bad , beat it with the d pad like im sure it's meant to be and you will be fine, to me The touchscreen is for another type of gameplay !

i put it down after about 20 minutes as well, but then after crushing everything in tony hawk, i went back to it. after a while i got used to it, but i hate that you have to hold a button down to run, not like n64, other than that, it takes a few times to get used to diving with mario. other than that, im hooked.

Where the eff is Yoshi? I'm at around 85 stars and I need him for fire I think. I'm probably overlooking something completely obvious but whatever I don't want to think about it. HELP!!!

I finally got used to the d-pad - it sucks compared to the N64 controller but kind of does the job here. I'm still missing a ton of jumps though and it's much harder to control. I can't do any of the "expert" jumps that I could easily pull off on the original...

[quote name='javeryh']Where the eff is Yoshi? I'm at around 85 stars and I need him for fire I think. I'm probably overlooking something completely obvious but whatever I don't want to think about it. HELP!!!

I finally got used to the d-pad - it sucks compared to the N64 controller but kind of does the job here. I'm still missing a ton of jumps though and it's much harder to control. I can't do any of the "expert" jumps that I could easily pull off on the original...[/quote]

I haven't played mine yet but maybe the next generation wii will have something like the GBA player so you can use a tradional controller to get through those tougher parts.

[quote name='javeryh']bump for yoshi location help!!![/QUOTE]

It's been a while since I've played this but don't you just go into the door Mario comes out of to get Yoshi back?

Yup, use the character switching room to switch characters.

Oh, and: Never played on N64, Found the DS keypad controls awkward at first, learned how to get around the awkwardness, got all 150 stars.

Though for some I "cheated" by using Luigi and 'coptering instead of doing things properly with Mario.

[quote name='jkam']It's been a while since I've played this but don't you just go into the door Mario comes out of to get Yoshi back?[/quote]

Holy crap thanks - I never would have thought of that. The only time I would go in that door was when I wasn't Mario already. I would never think to go in there as Mario. THANKS!!

bread's done
Back