Mario and the Beatles

Myncy

CAGiversary!
So I was writing something to a friend about Mario Galaxy 2, and it turned into a mini essay...thought I'd share it here. This is all off the top of my head so I appologize if there's anything here that sounds bad-fuck-ing insane...

While playing Mario Galaxy 2 today, I realized the parallels between the Mario series and the Beatles. Allow me to elaborate...

For many people, the first game they've ever played was a Mario title. It's seen as an early essential: anyone who's ever played a game has at least played Mario.

The Beatles are one of the most popular music groups in the word, with many listeners both young and old. Parents and relatives introduce The Beatles to their young family members. Anyone who listens has heard a Beatles song at least once.

Mario has been around for awhile. While not present from the beginning of video games, Mario was introduced in 1981 when games began to be noticed by the public. As such, many consider Mario to be the "father of video games."

Now, it would be very dumb to argue that the Beatles were one of the first musical groups ever because that's fucking stupid. However, the group started recorded the bulk of their work in the 1960's and 70's. For both America and the world over, these decades were marked by mass change. Young adults of the time demanded change, which was reflected in their music. While they didn't record protest music until later in their career, the Beatles brought will them a definite change in popular music. Their influence can be seen decades after they disbanded, and were pioneers in the modern music industry.

As gamers age, Mario is seen as something more "kiddie." For this reason, older gamers tend to not play Mario games and move on to newer, more mature games.

As music lovers explore more genre's, they tend to move away from the Beatles. While nobody will argue their importance to modern music, some find that the Beatles are overrated. They see their music as simplistic, and move on to other genres and artists.

Even to those who have moved past Mario/The Beatles, it's important to look back. Even though the formula hasn't been changed in years, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a sublime experience full of mushrooms, fireflowers, and Yoshi's. Yes, the basics haven't changed much but it's so well done here. Playing the game unleashes a feeling of nostalgia and wonder I haven't experienced in many games, movies, or books. No matter if you have moved on to GTA's and Call of Duty's, or if you haven't picked up a controller in years, just play a bit of Mario Galaxy 2 and I think you'll see where I'm coming from. Conversely, listen to The Beatles if you haven't lately. I've just gotten the re-issues from a few months ago and am remembering why I've always loved Paperback Writer and Eleanor Rigby.

bread's done
Back