Mario in a Shaqfuing Bumble Bee suit!!!!

I think the random bee aspect shows that we'll probably be seeing a variety of suits, like the old days.

That bit of footage got me jazzed more than anything at E3 thus far. Cannot wait 'til November!

bumblebee.jpg

Uh ohhhhh...Somebody's jealous.

The link just worked for me.

I'm upset this wasn't out as a launch title, but damn, I can't complain any more because it looks amazing, and they definitely got some things right.

That's what you have to get excited about, a Bumble Bee suit? Really?

You guys probably said the same thing about "OMG Mario has a Water Jetpack!"

I definitely can't wait for this game! Bee suit doesn't excite me by itself, but at least it points at having a lot of power ups ala SMB3, something that was lacking in Sunshine and even Mario 64.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']That's what you have to get excited about, a Bumble Bee suit? Really?

You guys probably said the same thing about "OMG Mario has a Water Jetpack!"[/quote]

I did, and I LOVED Sunshine. Thought the water pack was a great addition.

But this isn't just about the bee suit - it's about the return to a versatile selection (presumably) of suits, as was the case in the older Mario titles.

Plus, the footage of the game just flat-out looked KILLER.

that trailer looked really good. the bee costume. the boo costume. everything about this game looks great. it's what i'm looking forward to most this year.

looks pretty damn cool....definitely reminds me of the time i sat in walmart for 3 hrs straight playing mario 64 right when the N64 came out. Hopefully (and it looks like it will) it will have the innovative gameplay that mario is known and cherished for. For me I would have to rate the preview a 9/10.....i dont think the big N's gonna let us down.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']I did, and I LOVED Sunshine. Thought the water pack was a great addition.[/quote]

I honestly was quite convinced that on these boards Sunshine is unanimously bad. I loved it as well, and have been looking for this one quite a bit as well. Sunshine's a classic.

I'm speechless about Galaxy. In the best way you can be speechless about something.

[quote name='MarioColbert']I honestly was quite convinced that on these boards Sunshine is unanimously bad. I loved it as well, and have been looking for this one quite a bit as well. Sunshine's a classic.

I'm speechless about Galaxy. In the best way you can be speechless about something.[/QUOTE]

i agree. i loved the amount of control i had over mario with that water pack. in fact, i can't think of another game where i had so much control over the main character.

i didn't like it when reggie mentioned that galaxy is the true sequal of mario64. that said, i'm really looking forward to galaxy. it should be great.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']Absolutely, I'd be STUNNED if it's not GOTY. Looks incredible.[/QUOTE]
There are quite a few games that could be GOTY so don't be too stunned if its not.

It can be the Wii's GOTY though ;)

I'm actually going to go on a media blackout on this and Metroid Prime. About the only games that now interest me from Nintendo.

Thank goodness Mario Galaxy has something we can be fanboy-ie about. E3 2007 Nintendo says we don't care about those people who supported us.

[quote name='furyk']Thank goodness Mario Galaxy has something we can be fanboy-ie about. E3 2007 Nintendo says we don't care about those people who supported us.[/QUOTE]
QFT.

Nintendo killed off any chance of me getting a Wii after Wii fit and all that stuff they showed that appeals to people who arent gamers.

[quote name='whoknows']QFT.

Nintendo killed off any chance of me getting a Wii after Wii fit and all that stuff they showed that appeals to people who arent gamers.[/quote]

Totally. Owning a console that has Wii Fit on it = shame 4 ever from my bloodz brother Nick (his older brother is old enuff to buy me cigarettes, don't tell anyone LOLz). Stupid Mario and stuff. Celda 4 centaurs. I'm not sure what centaur is but it's like a retard, i think.

[quote name='MarioColbert']Totally. Owning a console that has Wii Fit on it = shame 4 ever from my bloodz brother Nick (his older brother is old enuff to buy me cigarettes, don't tell anyone LOLz). Stupid Mario and stuff. Celda 4 centaurs. I'm not sure what centaur is but it's like a retard, i think.[/QUOTE]
Nintendo isn't putting enough GAMES out. I don't care about games like Brain Age and Wii Fit. Nintendo has shifted their focus to non gamers. I'm a gamer so their stuff is starting to not appeal to me. The ONLY game I would want is Smash Bros and I dont know if its worth $300 to play it.

[quote name='whoknows']Nintendo isn't putting enough GAMES out.[/quote]
True enough.

[quote name='whoknows']I don't care about games like Brain Age and Wii Fit.[/quote]
Fair enough.

[quote name='whoknows']Nintendo has shifted their focus to non gamers.[/quote]
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Fall)
Godzilla: Unleashed (Q4)
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (November)
Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (October)
Brunswick Pro Bowler (August)
Dragon Blade: Wrath of Fire (Fall)
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (Fall)
Boogie (November)
EA Playground (October)
SoulCalibur Legends (TBA)
Mario Strikers Charged (July 30)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (August 27)
Battalion Wars 2 (October 29)
Fire Emblem (November 5)
Super Mario Galaxy (November 12)
Super Smash Bros Brawl (December 3)
Mario Kart Wii (Early 2008)
Wii Fit (TBA)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (November)
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams (Fall)
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (Fall)
Victorious Boxers: Revolution (TBA)

EDIT: Props to Rendil for the edited list in that other thread. Sorry I stole it, but why make your own shit if you can steal? Thank you Rendil.

[quote name='whoknows']I'm a gamer so their stuff is starting to not appeal to me.[/quote]
I'm a bad bad motherfucking DJ which is why I walk and talk this way.

[quote name='whoknows']The ONLY game I would want is Smash Bros and I dont know if its worth $300 to play it.[/quote]
True enough about the only game YOU would want. What was that about Nintendo leaving the "real gamers" behind?

[quote name='MarioColbert']Totally. Owning a console that has Wii Fit on it = shame 4 ever from my bloodz brother Nick (his older brother is old enuff to buy me cigarettes, don't tell anyone LOLz). Stupid Mario and stuff. Celda 4 centaurs. I'm not sure what centaur is but it's like a retard, i think.[/quote]
LMAO

Even if Wii Fit doesn't get that previous poster's adrenalin flowin', I'd at least appreciate the possibilities of how the board might be used. I can envision a scenario where several titles support it, and Wii Fit becomes an 'essential' purchase (much like many see Wii Play as an essential purchase if you're going to be buying a Wiimote anyway). The pressure/weight recognition is too cool to relegate to being merely a Wii Fit accessory, obviously...so I think there's a LOT to be pumped about here.

Ok, I dont want minigames, I dont want sports games (including mario sports) I dont want a game available on the DS or PSP.

I'm one picky mo'fo. ;)

Seriously though, Wii is supposed to offer a different experience. I don't want something I can get on another console.

[quote name='MarioColbert']True enough.

Fair enough.

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Fall)
Godzilla: Unleashed (Q4)
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (November)
Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (October)
Brunswick Pro Bowler (August)
Dragon Blade: Wrath of Fire (Fall)
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (Fall)
Boogie (November)
EA Playground (October)
SoulCalibur Legends (TBA)
Mario Strikers Charged (July 30)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (August 27)
Battalion Wars 2 (October 29)
Fire Emblem (November 5)
Super Mario Galaxy (November 12)
Super Smash Bros Brawl (December 3)
Mario Kart Wii (Early 2008)
Wii Fit (TBA)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (November)
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams (Fall)
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (Fall)
Victorious Boxers: Revolution (TBA)

EDIT: Props to Rendil for the edited list in that other thread. Sorry I stole it, but why make your own shit if you can steal? Thank you Rendil.

I'm a bad bad motherfucking DJ which is why I walk and talk this way.

True enough about the only game YOU would want. What was that about Nintendo leaving the "real gamers" behind?[/QUOTE]

There's really no point in even trying because those that don't like the Wii will offer new excuses when the games come out. After all Nintendo doesn't appeal to REAL gamers. Judging by sales I guess the PS3 doesn't appeal to anyone.

BTW great response.

All I'm saying is that this whole Chicken Little Sky is Falling "Wii Scale = Nintendo hath abandoned us" talk is a little extreme. Not wanting a Wii due to current availability of games is probably the most practical and pragmatic approach at the moment. Making blanket statements about Nintendo somehow abandoning the gamers in light of today's announcements, however, will only land you a stupid self-fellating reply from an asshole such as myself.

[quote name='whoknows']There are quite a few games that could be GOTY so don't be too stunned if its not.

It can be the Wii's GOTY though ;)[/quote]

True, true, this is going to be QUITE a year for games.

But for me, I'm a Mario nut, so unless Galaxy's huge positives are nullified by some sudden crippling flaw, it's going to at least be MY game of the year. :)

Hopefully it'll be awesome enough to re-legitimize the primary console Super Mario franchise, after the unfortunate (and needless, IMHO) lukewarm response to Galaxy. Seems anticipation for Galaxy is a bit more tame than was Galaxy...though I guess plenty of other factors come into play there (the other huge titles this year, the fact that Sunshine was the first Mario after 64, etc).

Still, it'd be great if this is a consensus GOTY, but I can imagine that it won't be, you're right.

[quote name='MarioColbert']All I'm saying is that this whole Chicken Little Sky is Falling "Wii Scale = Nintendo hath abandoned us" talk is a little extreme. Not wanting a Wii due to current availability of games is probably the most practical and pragmatic approach at the moment. Making blanket statements about Nintendo somehow abandoning the gamers in light of today's announcements, however, will only land you a stupid self-fellating reply from an asshole such as myself.[/QUOTE]
I just want a game experience from the Wii that makes me go "wow, so this is what the system was made for" However when I look at the games available on it nothing really offers that (at the current time at least). I'd love some games to come out that make me want to run out and buy a Wii, but as of right now there really isnt anything close to that.

Granted the Wii is still fairly new, so you never know.

[quote name='MarioColbert']Totally. Owning a console that has Wii Fit on it = shame 4 ever from my bloodz brother Nick (his older brother is old enuff to buy me cigarettes, don't tell anyone LOLz). Stupid Mario and stuff. Celda 4 centaurs. I'm not sure what centaur is but it's like a retard, i think.[/QUOTE]

Great. :lol:

I have also missed Mario's suits, and will be picking this up day-one.

I guess I'm the only one who bought the Wii for Nintendo games and the virtual console. Call me a "Nongamer", but that's really all I wanted. Great 2nd/3rd party stuff is just a bonus.

Reality's Fringe;3113676 said:
I guess I'm the only one who bought the Wii for Nintendo games and the virtual console. Call me a "Nongamer", but that's really all I wanted. Great 2nd/3rd party stuff is just a bonus.

That's why I got a GC. My GC llibrary consists of all Mario games, minus Mario Baseball (AI pissed me off and I traded it in.), Zelda, DK, SSM, Luigi...etc., and that's why I got a Wii.

That's exactly why I bought my Wii. It is a Nintendo playing machine first and foremost. Once the PS3 gets a decent price drop and the 360 revisions make it a stable machine, I'll be buying those badboys as well - or at least one of them.

That's pretty much why I got it but you can't expect Nintendo to put out stuff like Zelda and Mario every month... that's why there's third parties.:p

It's not so much that I meant to say Nintendo has abandoned us, but they sent a pretty clear message that Nintendo's focus is completely off of gamers. They haven't announced a new franchise that is not meant as a casual game since Chibi Robo and it's annoying to see that games that apparently have a legitimate role to play in the holiday line-up, like Fire Emblem, are pushed aside in favor of more self congratulating about how grandpa has a Wii bowling league at the nursing home office.

Nintendo's E3 press conference was a huge disappointment to me and several other gamers when you consider that Nintendo's method of innovation with the Wiii seems to be tossing the Wiimote in more plastic or aside entirely rather then developing something other then a mini game that uses it. Let's not even get started with how eh the DS showing was. I'm sure there's stuff for us at E3 from Nintendo, but the press conference clearly shows that the people who stuck with Nintendo during the tough times are being essentially ignored in favor of Cookbook game and Vocabulary Builder game (both of which I think are interesting ideas, but they shouldn't be main stage). E3 is for gamers not the ten year old playing with his Nintendog or the soccer mom who uses the Everybody Votes Channel. They'll see a little article in USA Today, think it's neat, and completely forget about it until it's released in 2008 while the people who are actual gamers feel completely miffed that Nintendo doesn't care about putting out compelling software for people who actually buy more then two games a year.

Nintendo essentially sent me the message that I cannot own just a Wii if I want to play video games. At the end of E3 2006, I (and many others) felt that the Wii was just as exciting for gamers as it was for everyone. Boy were we wrong.

[quote name='furyk']Nintendo essentially sent me the message that I cannot own just a Wii if I want to play video games. At the end of E3 2006, I (and many others) felt that the Wii was just as exciting for gamers as it was for everyone. Boy were we wrong.[/quote]

Most of your points are valid. The jump to the conclusion isn't.

I'm not sure how much non-gaming news you read. About once a week since launch of the Wii Mr. Analyst someone or another would write things about its future. Considering the amount of parents and older people who bought a Wii for themselves is what pushed the seemingly "retarded" duct-tape statue into an "unlikely hero."

Now, I've read a lot of things regarding the success of the console. Most analysts that aren't game-aware continuously made a point that the Wii is NOT the system for parents and non-gamers, because apart from Wii Sports there is nothing there for them. At the same time, other analysts wrote that the Wii is totally here to stay, because of 3rd party developers, etc. Others ignored this completely due to the fact that their articles were for parents who give not half a shit about the new Mario Kart.

Media events for Nintendo have been delivering the message that Nintendo wants to deliver. Since the Wii's launch, Miyamoto's speech at the GDC went on and on about his "Wife-O-Meter" and how interested he was in developing titles that his wife would prefer (Animal Crossing was her favorite).

Reggie at the GDC was brutal and honest: he basically outlined this E3 for us, provided you've been paying attention. Jollydwarf and a few others made it a point to start yelling "Nintendo caters to grandmas ONLY." But at the same time, you have to consider the poor non-gamers who bought the damn system because they've seen it on Dr. Phil's show.

This is getting too long, so here's food for thought:

1. Wii is NOT a VCR/DVD Player. You don't have a library of shit immediately available. We're used to waiting a year (!!!) before we get any proper meat on our consoles. With "next-gen" (a.k.a. EXPENSIVE GEN) we're likely to have to wait even more. The people who bought the system because they were promised "new stuff" are less patient and less nutty. Nintendo can make me wait an extra year for a title, and it's likely that my anticipation will grow rather than diminish - see the Super Smash Bros. Brawl thread.

2. The "new market" Reggie is talking about is the one that requires the largest amount of responsibility. There is no reason to market games to you assholes - as long as "the internet" tells you it is coming, you are happy. I read most RSS feeds, so I'm generally upset with the amount of redundant news. My wife's mom, whose Wii I have purchased myself, does not know what Wii Fit is, yet her purchase of the title is kind of an important part to Nintendo's success.

Last but not least, E3 is a press event. It is not "an event for gamers." There is no reason to do this shit for you or for me. Nintendo are talking to the press and yes they are addressing all of its "clients" including guys you don't care about. You know about Fire Emblem, you know about JeuxFrance gameplay footage of Super Mario Galaxy, you've been reading the Smash Bros. Blog every day, yet you want them to give you more... to read?

Nintendo's web presence and title announcement show that they respect YOU much more than they respect the press. And trust me, that's a very good thing.

[quote name='furyk']
Nintendo essentially sent me the message that I cannot own just a Wii if I want to play video games. At the end of E3 2006, I (and many others) felt that the Wii was just as exciting for gamers as it was for everyone. Boy were we wrong.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, everyone should have known that after the N64 and GC, neither of which had enough AAA games to satisfy a remotely serious gamer.

The cream of the crop games were amazing, but they were few and far between.

Why isn't anybody talking about this picture?

smg2r.jpg

Mario walks on fire, like Jesus on water. And fire is the opposite of water, which means Mario is the opposite of Jesus, and therefore Mario is Satan.

Not for hardcore gamers you say?

[quote name='SpazX']Why isn't anybody talking about this picture?

smg2r.jpg

Mario walks on fire, like Jesus on water. And fire is the opposite of water, which means Mario is the opposite of Jesus, and therefore Mario is Satan.

Not for hardcore gamers you say?[/quote]

First time I've seen it....great pic. I always hoped that one day they make Bowser badder looking and more intelligent...he always ends up as a joke.

Last E3 Nintendo was getting all hyped whilst Sony was getting the game over chants and now it's flip flopped. With Nintendo's install base and the developers flocking to it...nevermind, no point in arguing with drama nerds...

well the video of this is also on youtube it anyone was wondering...... the zip file was taking forever :)

PS this game looks awesome.

[quote name='MarioColbert']*words*[/QUOTE]

Lots of points, so I'll try and take them one at a time. A lot of my anger stems from the fact that Nintendo spent a good portion of the press conference saying "we're so great" which is fine, but Nintendo still has a ton of problems with the Wii. What's kind of been lost in the whole conversation is that Nintendo basically turned around and patted themselves on the back for perhaps the most convoluted and backwards online system existing today.

I think you've missed my point entirely though. E3 is the big Internet nerd conference for us. Sure, they may be screening it only to the press, but the vast majority of the press is gaming press and their bread and butter
is us, people who buy their magazines. You've totally got that wrong. I'd liken it to GM having nothing but electric cars at a convention for muscle cars.

The other thing you totally missed was I wasn't complaining about the marketing. I'm complaining about the simple fact that Nintendo is diverting their best and brightest resources to developing new market games and ignoring developing truly new content for us. The other point that you made is that it takes a year to make stuff work. E3 is the place to unveil next year's stuff. Guess what? They revealed shit for next year. Furthermore, the vast majority of things for the Wii from the third party is going to be more ported and licensed content, not less.

Also, like I said. This is my opinion and the majority opinion of gamers across the net. If you want to form a Nintendo Defense Force to say this was a great press conference then go ahead. If you're a person who's first thought is "Popcap" when you hear the word video games, this was a great little press conference for you. By the standards that E3 has always had though, it sucked. The gaming press thinks that way. The gamers across the internet think that way. I think this way.

Nintendo promised the Nintendo faithful a new way of gaming at E3 2006 and at E3 2007 they did just that. My new way of gaming will be buying an Xbox 360 or a PS3 and playing, you know, games.

[quote name='furyk']
E3 is the place to unveil next year's stuff. Guess what? They revealed shit for next year. Furthermore, the vast majority of things for the Wii from the third party is going to be more ported and licensed content, not less.
[/quote]

E3 USED to be the place to announce next years stuff. All three companies focused on the remainder of 2007 during their press conferences.

[quote name='furyk']
The other thing you totally missed was I wasn't complaining about the marketing. I'm complaining about the simple fact that Nintendo is diverting their best and brightest resources to developing new market games and ignoring developing truly new content for us. [/QUOTE]

Yep, that's my number one problem as well.

But hey, they're in this business for the money, not to make us hardcore Nintendo fans happy.

But if they keep it up into next year I'll have no problem finally resigning to the fact that they've changed gears and that I'm not longer in their target market and getting rid of the Wii.

There are two other consoles out there gearing for hardcore gamers and I'd be more than happy to give them more of my gaming business if Nintendo fails to deliver what I want.

bread's done
Back